Saban overcomes a late start

BAMMERPERRY

I don't know why but I've always loved the sirloin more than any other. Although I've yet to find a place that serves Porterhouse. Ribeye is too fatty for me. Filets however are a close second.

mcguires in pensacola has a great ribeye....their baked potatoes suck majorly though. i'm sure aupcolatiger would vouch for that. although i couldn't believe they were out of prime rib on a saturday. but at least they had plenty of crown royal and irish wakes :):)

A good steak is hard to find. It's been my experience that none of the chains have steak worth a cricket crap. Outback, Logan's, Longhorn, Chilis, Ruby Tuesday, Applebees, O'Charleys, Ryans, Quincy's or anything like that are barely edible. Completely lacking in flavor.

There's a place way out in the woods between Tuscaloosa and Jasper up Highway 69. Can't think of the name of it, but it's quality, quality steak. To get a good steak you've really got to find those home-owned out of the way places.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why but I've always loved the sirloin more than any other. Although I've yet to find a place that serves Porterhouse. Ribeye is too fatty for me. Filets however are a close second.

mcguires in pensacola has a great ribeye....their baked potatoes suck majorly though. i'm sure aupcolatiger would vouch for that. although i couldn't believe they were out of prime rib on a saturday. but at least they had plenty of crown royal and irish wakes :):)

A good steak is hard to find. It's been my experience that none of the chains have steak worth a cricket crap. Outback, Logan's, Longhorn, Chilis, Ruby Tuesday, Applebees, O'Charleys, Ryans, Quincy's or anything like that are barely edible. Completely lacking in flavor.

There's a place way out in the woods between Tuscaloosa and Jasper up Highway 69. Can't think of the name of it, but it's quality, quality steak. To get a good steak you've really got to find those home-owned out of the way places.

yeah i was at o'charley's the other week and got the pick two and got steak and shrimp, the "steak" was about as big as my fist.....i was like wtf. and it sucked.

if any of yall are ever down way south here, gotta try mama lou's in robertsdale or roadkill cafe here in elberta. you would think they invented country cookin.

I rarely get a steak when I go out around here unless I go to Conestoga. (Ask Brad) There's a little wine shop here called The Cellar that has a deli with the best filets I've ever had. They put the CellaR Dust on em' and that's all the marinade you need. Oh, maaaannn I'm gettin' hungry.

Alright, here's one of my specialty recipes that you can use indoors for steak. You need:

1. Filet Wrapped in Bacon

2. Sliced Portabello Mushrooms

3. Crumbled Blue Cheese

4. Red Wine

5. Salt/Pepper/Rosemary/Garlic Powder for flavoring

Take the filet and slice it open on the side and stuff it with some of the mushrooms and cheese. Wrap it up with the bacon around the side and use toothpicks to keep it wrapped.

In a skillet, pour in some red wine and some of the spices. Get that going and put in a bunch of sliced mushrooms. Once they start cooking up, put your filets in the skillet and cook to whatever degree of doneness (Is that a word?) you like. Keep the wine, spices and shrooms going in the skillet and just after you take the filets out, add the blue cheese and take it off the heat just as it melts. Plate up the steaks and pour your wine/mushroom/cheese sauce over the steak.

Serve it up with some garlic smashed potatoes and after you're done eating, go slap your mama.

Buggtussle?

No, that's not it. Buggtussle is around Winfield or Guin somewhere I think.

This is the one I was thinking about:

Manasco's Bar-B-Q & Steakhouse

22861 Highway 69 North, Berry, AL 35546

I just had to get my mind around it.

On the rare occasion i eat at mcquires, yes their steaks are pretty good..

I'd seriously like to know what's wrong with biscuits and honey. Honey is AWESOME on biscuits.

And it rocks on bread.

And in a peanut butter and honey sammich. Yummy.

Almost as good as peanut butter and marshmallow. Toasted peanut butter and marshmallow.

49.jpg

You can do it this way, but it's a lazy way. Here's the recipe for peanut butter and marshmallow sandwich.

Two slices of bread (preferably white)

Peanut butter

Mini marshmallows (you can substitute the big ones, but it makes a thicker, messier sandwich)

Directions:

Turn oven to Broil. Spread peanut butter on one slice of bread. Cover peanut butter with marshmallows, stacking them as close together as possible. Put slice of bread with peanut butter and marshmallows into oven. Put it on the rack, don't bother with a pan. Don't close the oven door all the way. As soon as the tops of the marshmallows start to turn brown, remove the bread. Turn the oven off. Take the other slice of bread and mash it down on the top.

Then eat. Warning: The marshmallows will be hot. And sticky.

I'd seriously like to know what's wrong with biscuits and honey. Honey is AWESOME on biscuits.

And it rocks on bread.

And in a peanut butter and honey sammich. Yummy.

Almost as good as peanut butter and marshmallow. Toasted peanut butter and marshmallow.

49.jpg

You can do it this way, but it's a lazy way. Here's the recipe for peanut butter and marshmallow sandwich.

Two slices of bread (preferably white)

Peanut butter

Mini marshmallows (you can substitute the big ones, but it makes a thicker, messier sandwich)

Directions:

Turn oven to Broil. Spread peanut butter on one slice of bread. Cover peanut butter with marshmallows, stacking them as close together as possible. Put slice of bread with peanut butter and marshmallows into oven. Put it on the rack, don't bother with a pan. Don't close the oven door all the way. As soon as the tops of the marshmallows start to turn brown, remove the bread. Turn the oven off. Take the other slice of bread and mash it down on the top.

Then eat. Warning: The marshmallows will be hot. And sticky.

I agree. Honey and butter on my grandmother's cat head biscuits are the best dessert in the world. They also work as an appetizer. Of course syrup will do in a pinch (and to quote Lewis Grizzard, it's pronounced sirrup, see-rup was created by God for people of questionable upbringing).

Guest Tigrinum Major

Fried peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Prepared like a grilled cheese with different insides.

If you can't figure it out, you need to cook more.

Nirvana.

I rarely get a steak when I go out around here unless I go to Conestoga. (Ask Brad) There's a little wine shop here called The Cellar that has a deli with the best filets I've ever had. They put the CellaR Dust on em' and that's all the marinade you need. Oh, maaaannn I'm gettin' hungry.

Oh man, Conestoga steaks are the best. You better get there early, otherwise you are going to be in for a good wait. I am more than likely going to be visiting the Wiregrass next weekend. Now it looks like I am going to have to make a trip over to Dothan for a steak.

My Dad used to put syrup on his fried ocra...said it tasted like Cracker Jacks. Anyone else ever heard of such craziness?

As for McGuires...assuming I go in to eat rather than merely consume large quanitities of good beer, I have to go with the corned beef and cabbage. I can get good steaks lots of places, but quality CB&C is a rare commodity.

I can get good steaks lots of places, but quality CB&C is a rare commodity.

Alas, the gas that ensues from eating said dish is not a rare commodity.

runswithscissors, the Roadkill Cafe is actually half-decent? I've driven by it hundreds of times when going to Pensacola from Foley, but have never eaten there.

Good Ole Boys in Auburn has some pretty good steaks, but their catfish is by far the best thing on their menu IMHO.

It's definitely the best place that I know of to get catfish around here. If you don't like catfish, I question whether you are a real southerner or not... :poke:

CB&C...good for the heart.... :big:

Does anyone like Bar-b-Q I ate at my favorite place this past week! Green Top BBQ on highway 78 in sumiton, outside cut and chopped cant be beat! A few others that I like is Top hat in double springs, costas, and Jim and Nicks

Good Ole Boys in Auburn has some pretty good steaks, but their catfish is by far the best thing on their menu IMHO.

It's definitely the best place that I know of to get catfish around here. If you don't like catfish, I question whether you are a real southerner or not... :poke:

Many would say the same can be said of sweet tea.

I don't really care for fried fish in general, but I can drink sweet tea by the gallon. My favorite cut of steak is ribeye, just gotta pick the ones out that aren't that marbled. Filets are my second choice, and porterhouse is a rare cut around here.

Have any of you ever had steak other than beef? When I lived in Alaska I ate moose meat (steaks & roast) several times. On trips to Montana, Wyoming & Colorado I have had elk by buffalo steak. Both were great.

Have any of you ever had steak other than beef? When I lived in Alaska I ate moose meat (steaks & roast) several times. On trips to Montana, Wyoming & Colorado I have had elk by buffalo steak. Both were great.

Had caribou in Canada, as well as elk and buffalo. All were fabulous, esp the caribou. Not gamey at all. Incredibly tender.

You can buy several different kinds of wild game like elk and moose in the cabela's christmas catalog I think it is.

Also saw the roadkill cookout on the food channel last weekend. They were cooking squirrel, possum, coon, deer, etc.

CB&C...good for the heart.... :big:

Heh...it doesn't just apply to beans, that's for sure. B)

I'm pretty sure that guys never outgrow a well-executed fart...we just get better at containing our laughter.

Does anyone like BBQ pork or chicken

YES! Prefer the pork, but will not turn down a BBQ'd yardbird.

Tigermike, I've had Buffalo steak and it is delicious. I've heard Moose is pretty good, but I have yet to sample it.

Does anyone like BBQ pork or chicken

Of course! This is the south ain't it? My favorite in Auburn was the Barbecue House. In my opinion they had the best Brunswick Stew around. Also a great place for breakfast. In the Huntsville area I like Ole Hickory out in New Market.

Anybody who lived in the Clarke County area and attended Auburn has to be familiar with Arnold's One Stop in Snow Hill. It is a combination barbecue joint, gas station, laundromat, and mechanic. If you order a rib sandwich you get four bones of ribs (with bones) between two pieces of white bread and half a roll of paper towels. If you order the chicken sandwich you get a chicken breast or thigh (with bones) between two pieces of white bread with a whole roll of paper towels. As far as backwardness, countrifideness, defiance of health code, and quality of food it blows Dreamland out of the water.

Tigermike, I've had Buffalo steak and it is delicious. I've heard Moose is pretty good, but I have yet to sample it.

I had dish called chicklis (sp?) on my last pheasant hunting trip in South Dakota. It was supposedly an American Indian dish. It consisted of pieces of elk cut into large cubes (2" x 2") and deep fried (no batter or breading, just the meat) until it was about a medium - medium rare. Excellent and extremely tender. They said buffalo was also traditional but not nearly as good.

Archived