Upgraded to Vista yesterday

Ranger12

I bought the Vista Home Premium upgrade yesterday afternoon. I don't understand why they are even selling the Home Basic version because it really does not change anything at all from XP.

Anyway, I like the look and "feel" of it over previous Windows platforms. Alot of new tweaks that make the platform more secure then previous versions. I like the fact that when you are scrolling through your programs from the start button, you don't have a screen full of windows up now. Also, the sidebar feature is pretty neat.

However, with any new OS, it does have some bugs and compatibility issues with some programs. If you are pretty good at tweaking things like that, it would be no problem, but if you want to be able to upgrade without any problems, then you will be upset. For one thing, it keeps telling me it is finding a hard disk problem, but my laptop is only a few months old and I have also ran a few scans on my hard disk with a few different programs and my hard disk is fine. I finally found where to cut that off.

It is mostly just "bells and whistles" improvements and does not offer anything new that you just gotta have, but it is the nicest platform Windows has released in awhile. But, if you are using XP and are happy with that, I would not bother upgrading for right now. I would wait until a service pack was released to fix the bugs or when you bought a new system that has it pre-loaded. Also, it is highly recommended you have at least a gig of memory because Vista uses more higher end graphics and animations then previous versions. I have 512 MB of memory and it is working alright and doing the job. However, there is some lag in some programs because of how much more memory is being used by Vista. Staples has the 1 GB memory on sale this week for $99, so I will probably be taking my laptop up there to upgrade sometime this week.

Microsoft Vista Released

February 7, 2007 | Issue 43•06

Microsoft released its new operating system, Vista, on Jan. 30. Here are some of its features:

Microsoft Word's helpful paper-clip icon now blinks at rate of normal humans

Enhanced graphics on "System Is Not Responding" pop-up window

Five new card-back designs for Solitaire

Something that Apple would never, ever dream up in a billion years

4,391 security flaws to be patched over next 15 years

Promise of broad, open-minded future or some bull****

Lists blocked wireless connections with greater speed and accuracy

New operating system, same old Microsoft Paint

I don't like the idea that someone would by an operating system for the software that comes packaged with it. I can tell you right now that everything that comes with Mac OS is a copy of something that was done better first for windows, just not done by microsoft. That is because microsoft is worrying themselves with the actual workings of the operating system rather than what kind of software they can sell with it so that more people will buy it. So hate on MS paint all you want, but i'll take microsoft and a free copy of Gimp 2.0 any day.

I don't like the idea that someone would by an operating system for the software that comes packaged with it. I can tell you right now that everything that comes with Mac OS is a copy of something that was done better first for windows, just not done by microsoft. That is because microsoft is worrying themselves with the actual workings of the operating system rather than what kind of software they can sell with it so that more people will buy it. So hate on MS paint all you want, but i'll take microsoft and a free copy of Gimp 2.0 any day.

I had Windows for years. Went Mac OS four years ago. And I'm never going back. Having used both systems, I can tell you that Windows does nothing better than Mac. However, I hope the experiment with Vista goes well for Ranger.

Sometimes I think if Microsoft discovered the cure for cancer, Mac fanboys would whine about how they ripped it off from Apple.

If other companies didn't take good ideas from other companies and incorporate them into their own products there would be only one brand of car out there with an AC in it right now.

Besides... if Windows was as stable and bulletproof as the Mac OS is alleged to be, I probably wouldn't have a job, so buy windows!!!

Otter, I can tell you that the little review you posted was so far off from the truth, you could tell it was done by a Mac person. I really don't get into the whole Windows vs. Mac war, because I don't push either product. I just use what I have available. But, like I said, that review was just total bs. Since I have tweaked the few bugs that came with the system, I have had no problems with it. Also, why does your post mention Word when it comes to the Vista upgrade? That has nothing to do with Vista as that is software that is purchased separately. As a matter of fact, my copy if Microsoft Office 2003 Professional software is working just fine with Vista.

Also, when it comes to all those "security" issues, if you have good anti-virus and anti-spyware software, you should not worry about such things. I have not had any problems with such things in the 4-5 years I have had broadband internet services, but there are those out there that would have you think that if you have Windows, you will get a virus every week. It is true that most malacious programs are written to attack Windows software, if you do not have the proper tools on your computer to protect it from all types of malware, then you are going to get a virus regardless if are a Mac or PC user.

I have used both Macs and PCs in the last few years and in my opinion, neither one can claim complete superiority over the other. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. That is why when I see the Mac vs. PC debates start up on the board, I don't get involved because I think they are both pretty equal.

Otter, I can tell you that the little review you posted was so far off from the truth, you could tell it was done by a Mac person. I really don't get into the whole Windows vs. Mac war, because I don't push either product. I just use what I have available. But, like I said, that review was just total bs. Since I have tweaked the few bugs that came with the system, I have had no problems with it. Also, why does your post mention Word when it comes to the Vista upgrade? That has nothing to do with Vista as that is software that is purchased separately. As a matter of fact, my copy if Microsoft Office 2003 Professional software is working just fine with Vista.

Also, when it comes to all those "security" issues, if you have good anti-virus and anti-spyware software, you should not worry about such things. I have not had any problems with such things in the 4-5 years I have had broadband internet services, but there are those out there that would have you think that if you have Windows, you will get a virus every week. It is true that most malacious programs are written to attack Windows software, if you do not have the proper tools on your computer to protect it from all types of malware, then you are going to get a virus regardless if are a Mac or PC user.

I have used both Macs and PCs in the last few years and in my opinion, neither one can claim complete superiority over the other. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. That is why when I see the Mac vs. PC debates start up on the board, I don't get involved because I think they are both pretty equal.

Ummm...it was a joke. I cribbed it from the Onion.

Umm...I knew it was meant to be perceived as such, but that does not change the fact that it is still probably a Mac bobo honker taking a shot at Microsoft. Some like to use humor to take their shots you know.

But, since you did not post a link for the source, nor did you credit the source, then how was anybody supposed to know that is not some article from Mac World or something like that? Then given your pro-Mac follow up post, it just reinforced the fact that it was meant as a Vista bashing post, irregardless at the supposed humorous intent. ;)

Umm...I knew it was meant to be perceived as such, but that does not change the fact that it is still probably a Mac bobo honker taking a shot at Microsoft. Some like to use humor to take their shots you know.

But, since you did not post a link for the source, nor did you credit the source, then how was anybody supposed to know that is not some article from Mac World or something like that? Then given your pro-Mac follow up post, it just reinforced the fact that it was meant as a Vista bashing post, irregardless at the supposed humorous intent. ;)

What? The Issue Number at the top of the posting didn't tip you off? What? We need footnotes? HAVE I STUMBLED INTO THE VALLEY OF THE LITERAL MINDED? GOOD GOD MAN, SNAP OUT OF IT!!!!!!!!! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! Jeez man, you of all people should have a sense of humor. Of course, if I had shelled out all that money for an system upgrade, I guess I'd be sensitive too.

Resource hogs. That's what.

Yeah, my CPU usage is at a whopping 1% and I have AVG running.

I also have two instances of Visual Studio 2005 development environment (one running a webserver) and an instance of SQL Server 2005, a Firefox window, and a remote desktop window.

Uh oh...just jumped up to 3%.

What ever will I do with only 97% of my CPU available?

I could always find a way to use 50% of it...then with the remaining 50% I could have a machine as powerful as a Mac.

Jabs based in fact work better. Given that Macs run on the same basic hardware as Winders PCs (except we don't waste time on Celerons...dual core in every Mac), the Mac is every bit as powerful.

I don't know about you, but on the Windows PCs I've used at home and at the office (and yes, I do still work on them, especially as I help troubleshoot in the office), there was a noticeable increase in speed and responsiveness of my system if I turned off the virus and spyware realtime protection.

All I know is you give me a firewall and I'm good to go. No need to run or keep updated any of that crap. Everytime I go home to my inlaws, they're having issues. I start poking around with a virus or spyware program and there's all kinds of stuff to clean up. It takes me a while, but eventually I get it back to running properly. And while they aren't shining examples of how to keep a system protected, the fact remains that if they had a Mac, it wouldn't even be a concern.

And it doesn't take your system prompting you every time you do innocuous tasks to do it.

Jabs based in fact work better. Given that Macs run on the same basic hardware as Winders PCs (except we don't waste time on Celerons...dual core in every Mac), the Mac is every bit as powerful.

The Macs are based on the old dual core pentium technology that is not very good. The new Intel dual core technology (which mac is soon to move to) is light years ahead of it. Thats the problem with Macs though. You can't upgrade if your machine becomes obsolete 6 months after purchasing.

And I don't think its fair to compare PCs with Celerons in them to Macs...considering the celeron based ones are much cheaper.

I don't know about you, but on the Windows PCs I've used at home and at the office (and yes, I do still work on them, especially as I help troubleshoot in the office), there was a noticeable increase in speed and responsiveness of my system if I turned off the virus and spyware realtime protection.

Sure that was a problem 6 years ago. But its not a problem with 99% of machines made in the last 3 years or so.

All I know is you give me a firewall and I'm good to go. No need to run or keep updated any of that crap. Everytime I go home to my inlaws, they're having issues. I start poking around with a virus or spyware program and there's all kinds of stuff to clean up. It takes me a while, but eventually I get it back to running properly. And while they aren't shining examples of how to keep a system protected, the fact remains that if they had a Mac, it wouldn't even be a concern.

I think Macs are good for people who dont do much more than word processing and internet surfing. It would help those people avoid potential virus attacks etc. (Im not saying those are the ONLY people who would benefit from a Mac). But most people who are generally computer savvy have very very few virus problems.

I've had a PC since I was 15 years old. And I've never had to format my hard drive or anything like that due to a virus. They are actually pretty easy to avoid.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Good gosh, throw some "12 national championships" or "5 in a row" talk into this.

Next thing you know, a couple of you are going to be in a field, hitting a scanner with a baseball bat, while one of you is clinging like grim death to a red Swingline.

Good gosh, throw some "12 national championships" or "5 in a row" talk into this.

Next thing you know, a couple of you are going to be in a field, hitting a scanner with a baseball bat, while one of you is clinging like grim death to a red Swingline.

When's Wham touring again? You and Richard Simmons getting back-stage passes? :poke:

The Macs are based on the old dual core pentium technology that is not very good. The new Intel dual core technology (which mac is soon to move to) is light years ahead of it. Thats the problem with Macs though. You can't upgrade if your machine becomes obsolete 6 months after purchasing.

They are using the same Core 2 Duo chips found in HP, Dell and other machines.

And since the move to Intel, you can upgrade your chip as well. You can replace hard drives, video cards, add RAM and so on. This is a bogus criticism unless you're talking about the Mac Mini (and even that is upgradeable, but because of the small form factor it's more difficult). It's simple as pie in the Mac Pros since they are towers.

And I don't think its fair to compare PCs with Celerons in them to Macs...considering the celeron based ones are much cheaper.

I compare it because of the marketing strategies of PC companies. They toss out some el cheapo machine and Windows fanboys throw out those kinds of prices as examples of how PCs are cheaper. When comparably equipped, the Macs are comparable in price in most cases.

Sure that was a problem 6 years ago. But its not a problem with 99% of machines made in the last 3 years or so.

If you say so. That doesn't seem to jive with my experience in the office and the vast majority of the Windows boxes in our office are no more than 3 yrs old.

I think Macs are good for people who dont do much more than word processing and internet surfing. It would help those people avoid potential virus attacks etc. (Im not saying those are the ONLY people who would benefit from a Mac). But most people who are generally computer savvy have very very few virus problems.

A Mac is great for anyone unless they are either a hard-core PC gamer (though they could run their Windows games via Boot Camp), they spend most of their time using Microsoft web developing tools and programming languages, or unless they work in an industry that requires certain programs that there isn't an equivalent on the Mac.

Macs abound in usage in scientific and mathematic fields, in publishing, graphic design, video editing, music engineering and production and CGI for movies and television.

While I do agree that if you're a basic user that's not well-versed in virus and spyware protection a Mac would be best, it's definitely not just for the inexperienced novice users.

I've had a PC since I was 15 years old. And I've never had to format my hard drive or anything like that due to a virus. They are actually pretty easy to avoid.

I personally have never been infected on my home computer because when I had a Windows box, I was still on dial up. Constant connections are much more vulnerable. I have had to clean up numerous virus, trojan horse and spyware problems on PCs here in the office and for relatives. In my experience, Windows boxes require much more vigilance and upkeep to keep them running properly and clear of problems. It isn't even a passing concern on my Mac or any of the Macs in the office.

One time I did download a free spyware program and virus program for my Mac when we were having some issues with Windows viruses in the office. Ran the spyware program and of course it found nothing. Ran the virus one and it found an email in my inbox that had been there for months. One of the Windows people sent me something with an attachment that was infected. However, the virus wouldn't do anything to my system even if you tried to open it. I just got rid of the attachment so I wouldn't inadvertently pass it on to a Windows machine that could be damaged by it. But by and large, I neither use nor need such things.

Archived