Auburn's 2007 schedule

TheDude

I just got a look at your schedule for the next year and realized you may be in the same boat we were in last year. That's a pretty brutal road schedule if Ark is competitive. I am curious what your fans expect for wins/losses next year.

We have a much more favorable schedule as far as road/home games and returning quite a few starters. However, we will be starting a new QB, 2 new WR, and a new offensive coordinator. Since we play VaTech for our first home game, there is some concern about the learning curve for all these guys. I know we have massive talent but it still takes time to meld them into a team.

How are you guys set for this year? Other than your road schedule, any concerns?

Bama has hired a coaching legend if you haven't heard......Auburn has decided to forfeit the entire 2007 season, since Bama has already claimed the 2007 SEC Title. There is noway Auburn can compete with Bama now.

I just got a look at your schedule for the next year and realized you may be in the same boat we were in last year. That's a pretty brutal road schedule if Ark is competitive. I am curious what your fans expect for wins/losses next year.

We have a much more favorable schedule as far as road/home games and returning quite a few starters. However, we will be starting a new QB, 2 new WR, and a new offensive coordinator. Since we play VaTech for our first home game, there is some concern about the learning curve for all these guys. I know we have massive talent but it still takes time to meld them into a team.

How are you guys set for this year? Other than your road schedule, any concerns?

What do you think about the media's view of your team (LSU) this coming season? I feel like we've switched roles. I lot of people are looking at LSU to show up big time this next year even with the departure of JR and Jimbo. We kinda had that going at the beginning of this season (2006) with people talking a lot about us in a good way.

What do you think about the media's view of your team (LSU) this coming season? I feel like we've switched roles. I lot of people are looking at LSU to show up big time this next year even with the departure of JR and Jimbo. We kinda had that going at the beginning of this season (2006) with people talking a lot about us in a good way.

I know our own expectations are pretty high(possibly unrealistic), because of the last 2 seasons, recruiting success, favorable schedule, bama's coach, etc. But of course there really are a # of unknowns, the greatest being our new OC. He is very talented but I can't expect that there won't be some disconnect with a new sys and new players. Talent can't simply overcome that, you gotta have meld, and that means coaching and time. Time is our enemy, imo.

That being said, if we are able to overcome these obstacles and still win games, we could make out okay. I think with the ranking and the easy schedule USC has next year(every year I mean), it means we have to stay in the top 5 the entire year or risk getting knocked out of national contention. If the media really believes in us, it may help with pre-season rankings and also how far we fall if we drop a game. Of course, when we drop that game is also a factor. I know we play each other later in the year which I think certainly helps us, but with your schedule does it help or hurt you? Our tough games are at home where we should have an advantage but Auburn & Fla have more than proven they can win there. Add to that a SECG, which PAC10 & Big10 don't have to play, it's always gonna be harder for any of us SEC teams. It takes luck, as well as talent and coaching to emerge on top in this conference. How you guys managed an undefeated season is just mind boggling to me. I would like to say that we can, but I would just be blowing purple 'n gold smoke.

I think we're set up to have one of our worst seasons in the past five years. We have a struggling Quarterback, a set of receivers who've lacked playmaking ability, a new starter at RB and we lose four starting Olinemen. We're also replacing our best DB and two big time LBs along with the possibilty of not having our NFL calibur LB on the team. Not to mention, we're losing our starting kicker, kickoff kicker, and punter. Oh yeah, four of our five toughest games are away games.

HOWEVER, I think that this team has the potential to be a good football team. If Brandon Cox can use his experience, he can help the not-so-young-anymore receivers make big plays. Also, Brad Lester is our own personal Warrick Dunn and plus Ben Tate will be turning 19 years old and getting playing time. Our O-line will be the biggest question mark. Defensively we have the best pass rusher in the SEC along with a seasoned secondary. If Tray Blackmon returns to the starting lineup, I think our LBs will be one of the best in the conference. Our schedule doesn't help us but a semi-challenging first four games will help us get ready for the season. I see our season looking like this (as of now; can change by next season):

K State W

South Florida W

Miss St W

New Mex St W

Florida L

Vanderbilt W

Ark W

LSU L

Ole Miss W

Tenn Tech W

Georgia L

Alabama W

I think Florida will be very hyped up for their home game against us. We have a good shot at beating them because our defense is geared towards stopping flashy offenses. I honestly think that one could go either way. I think LSU's defense proves to be too tough for our offense giving them the win. I'm picking Georgia as my early favorite to win the SEC with a breakout season from Stafford.

That's my two cents.

I know our own expectations are pretty high(possibly unrealistic), because of the last 2 seasons, recruiting success, favorable schedule, bama's coach, etc. But of course there really are a # of unknowns, the greatest being our new OC. He is very talented but I can't expect that there won't be some disconnect with a new sys and new players. Talent can't simply overcome that, you gotta have meld, and that means coaching and time. Time is our enemy, imo.

That being said, if we are able to overcome these obstacles and still win games, we could make out okay. I think with the ranking and the easy schedule USC has next year(every year I mean), it means we have to stay in the top 5 the entire year or risk getting knocked out of national contention. If the media really believes in us, it may help with pre-season rankings and also how far we fall if we drop a game. Of course, when we drop that game is also a factor. I know we play each other later in the year which I think certainly helps us, but with your schedule does it help or hurt you? Our tough games are at home where we should have an advantage but Auburn & Fla have more than proven they can win there. Add to that a SECG, which PAC10 & Big10 don't have to play, it's always gonna be harder for any of us SEC teams. It takes luck, as well as talent and coaching to emerge on top in this conference. How you guys managed an undefeated season is just mind boggling to me. I would like to say that we can, but I would just be blowing purple 'n gold smoke.

Dude, where's my car??

LSU will be good, no doubt about it. Matt Flynn could have started at most other SEC schools last year. He is experienced a little. More than most first year starters. I think the biggest questions for LSU are about the loses on D, didn't y'all lose a few really good DBs? and LB? I know what's his name on the DL returned for another year :puke: He killed us last year.

I for one, as an Auburn Tiger, am expecting a great year. We have loads of talent returning, especially on D. QB, RBs, WRs, TEs all returning from last year, save for Courtney Taylor and Kenny Irons. OL will have to fill some holes, but I think there are talented guys that can plug in. Hopefully they will meld together sooner and be more consistent than last years crew. Kicking game will be some what of a ?, but AU did pick up a talented recruit, whether he will get any PT who knows?? I really want a trip back to the SECCG.

Georgia is an interesting pick, though I can't disagree that they have the talent and should show up big this year.

I didn't realize you lost so many OL. That may be the straw right there. Everyone gets all jacked up about the skill players but its the hogs in the trenches that decide games. Our line was very young last year(still developing) and only really seemed good at pass blocking. You just can't develop linemen as quickly, and most people overlook that. it certainly held us back in the running game last year.

Even though you lost your starters, did you rotate any linemen in to get them experience? Some coaches are more mindful of that than others.

Georgia is an interesting pick, though I can't disagree that they have the talent and should show up big this year.

I didn't realize you lost so many OL. That may be the straw right there. Everyone gets all jacked up about the skill players but its the hogs in the trenches that decide games. Our line was very young last year(still developing) and only really seemed good at pass blocking. You just can't develop linemen as quickly, and most people overlook that. it certainly held us back in the running game last year.

Even though you lost your starters, did you rotate any linemen in to get them experience? Some coaches are more mindful of that than others.

We will have three starters on the o-line that have at least one start under their belt - Bosley, Hart and Dunlap.

We will have three starters on the o-line that have at least one start under their belt - Bosley, Hart and Dunlap.

If you think Bosley will start. I hear that the coaches would like to see if Ryan Pugh can come in and learn the position.

M. Berry will be the backup for all three interior line positions. Look for all the incoming o-line to red-shirt including L.Ziemba.

It's February so my prediction is 14 - 0 for Auburn.

That prediction will be good until they lose a game.

As far as the SEC West, I think it will be either LSU or AUBURN.

WEST

AUBURN - Will be better on O & D, kicking game will need a complete overhaul.

LSU - Lost QB & very good WR's

Bama - They should be better but it is too early for the Nick magic to make a difference.

Arkansas - too much turmoil (coaching, team and with the fans)

Ole Miss - Will be better, good recruiting last year and this year.

Miss St- Well they are still Miss St.

EAST

Florida - Can Tebow replace Leak as the every play QB? Do they have the talent to cover graduations and early departures?

Tennessee - I think they will be the dark horse to win the East. Good talent and now a good coaching staff.

Georgia - They will be much better this year than last.

South Carolina - I think Steve has them going in the right direction and two pretty good recruiting years

Kentucky - They may have peaked last year

Vanderbilt - Well they are still Vanderbilt

Dude, where's my car??

LSU will be good, no doubt about it. Matt Flynn could have started at most other SEC schools last year. He is experienced a little. More than most first year starters. I think the biggest questions for LSU are about the loses on D, didn't y'all lose a few really good DBs? and LB? I know what's his name on the DL returned for another year :puke: He killed us last year.

Matt does have experience but again, it's a new system. Everything about him points that he is a quick study, so perhaps we will manage the kinks.

Defense should be strong again. Dorsey does return but honestly, we are pretty deep at DT and DE. Linebackers all return and only really concerned about Sanders. He has not really developed like we had hoped. Beckwith and Highsmith are gonna play on Sundays. We did lose our 2 safeties, Landry and Jessie Daniels, but have recruited alot of talent there as well. Jai Eugene last year and Phelon Jones this year but they will have a learning curve with the speed of the college game too.

Solid foundations, but positions that new players could either break out or bust this year. Sounds like much the same for Auburn. Hopefully we have it worked out by the time we meet you guys.

If you think Bosley will start. I hear that the coaches would like to see if Ryan Pugh can come in and learn the position.

I posted a message one time on a thread about who could see possible playing time out of our freshmen next year. I think we could have problems if we are having to start true freshmen O-Linemen. Ryan Pugh and Z maybe great talents but the some of the hardest positions to step straight into are O and D Line. Some famous coach said that the farther away you are from the ball on the snap the easier it is to play early. A lot of these O linemen come in from high school relying on their size and strength instead of their technique. If they come from big time schools like Pugh did (Hoover University) they may be used to going up against big defenses, but I guarantee you they are not used to big fast guys like S. Marks coming at them.

Also even if they are strong now they probably need the fear of Yox put into them for a year before they will be able to handle an SEC season. It is the rare player that can come straight from high school, learn the blocking scheme (especially as a center when you are making the line calls), have the necessary size and strength, and have the needed mean streak to play as an SEC linemen.

Dorsey!! That's him..Dang he is good, probably would have gone first round in draft if he had declared. Losing two 2 of 11 is not bad at all. About like AUs D.

2000, you are right about a the OL. I really don't see Ziemba or Pugh playing, they could possibly rotate in, but I doubt it. I think a lot of the OL did rotate in some at some point, as in not just mop up duty in blow outs.

OL is for sure our biggest concern. The DL should be pretty good with folks returning and hopefully BIG Greg Smith making an impact, fingers crossed. Returning lots of guys in the secondary that played last year, but biggest lose with be Irons. Need a CB to step it up as a shut down. LBs will be interesting to watch. With a couple of RS coming into the mix this next year, like Stevens.

Auburn's defense is going to have to carry the team, including scoring some TDs. I'm sure Muschamp is going to work on increasing takeaways in the spring. Right now, until the new OL proves it can protect Cox, I see no reason to believe the offense won't struggle, even against the likes of Kansas State and Miss. State. Auburn will be the underdog in those 4 tough SEC road games without a doubt.

Auburn's defense will be very good, maybe just a notch below LSU because of lack of experience in a few areas, particularly LB. The defense may just be good enough to win a few games on their own.

Today, we have no special teams, except for returning kicks. Bynum may well come in and win the job like Vaughn did 4 years ago, but punting may be sore spot, and if the offense struggles, it may become a very sore spot.

I expect Auburn to take a few knocks in 2007, but challenge for a national title in 2008.

SEC East

----------

Tennessee

South Carolina

Florida

Georgia

Kentucky

Vanderbilt

I expect all the eastern teams to be better on offense, except the Gators. I'm still not convinced Tebow can complete a pass more than 10 yards down field. All the defections at Florida and Georgia will hurt, otherwise the Gators and Dawgs would be the frontrunners.

SEC West

----------

LSU

Arkansas

Auburn

Alabama

Miss. State

Ole Miss

LSU wins SECCG. The Tigers have the best mix of experience, talent, depth, and line strength. McFadden comes in second to Booty for the Heisman.

BCS-- USC, LSU, Michigan, Virginia Tech, Nebraska, Hawaii, Texas, Louisville, Arkansas, Wisconsin

Title Game-- USC vs LSU

I think it will come down to the winner of the AU/LSU game once again for the West.

For some reason, I also expect that game to finish up in the 6-3 or 10-7 range as well. Both teams should have solid defenses and capable offenses, but that game will be another slugfest IMO.

Arkansas Darren McFadden will win a few games that they probably shouldn't, but I don't think they will be in contention for the West title at the end of the season.

Also, if Orgeron learns to coach, Ole Miss could play the role of spoiler this year.

Alabama will be good, but not great as they will not be able to stop the run this year.

Miss. St. is still a couple of years away from contending.

In the East, I think Georgia puts it all together this year with Stafford getting the experience he did last year.

Florida will once again be very formidable, but Tebow will not lead them like Leak did IMO.

South Carolina will be a major player in this race, but Spurrier will again lose to a West team or two that will cost his chances at an East title.

Tennessee will have another good year, but will not be in contention at the end for the East title.

Kentucky could play the spoiler in the East this year, much like Ole Miss in the West. They could be scary good on offense, and if they can put together a decent run defense they could make the top 3 in the East.

Vandy...well, they are Vandy.

this is as wide open as the sec gets. seriously, i could make a case for as many as 6 teams to potentially win the conference. arkansas has the best player and only lost to really good teams last year (wisconsin, florida, lsu, and usc all finished in the bcs top 6... 6 losses between them with two conference titles, one national title, three bcs bowl wins and a capital one trophy). lsu has a great mix of talent and a proven (no matter what opposing fans say) coach. auburn has the best conference record since 2000 with a senior qb and a loaded defense. florida just won a MNC on the back of really young talent. uga has won the conference twice in the last 5 years and played for another plus they finished as hot as any team in the nation with wins over auburn, gatech, and vatech. tennessee probably has the best senior qb in the conference to go along with a coaching staff (hc, oc, and dc) that won a national title within the last decade. it's wide open.

i think auburn's line will be fine (last year as a bad year anyway... proof that a good line takes more than good talent). there are four guys coming back with starting experience (dunlap started all year, hart has started at least once each of the last three years, bosley looked really solid last year, and daniels made a spot start at right tackle as well). berry is going to find plenty of playing time, green will too. ziemba will probably get a chance to work into the rotation b/c of a lack of tackles (like mcneil did). i expect all the others to redshirt. a line of dunlap, green, bosley, hart, and daniels with berry, ziemba, gonzalez, and one other interior lineman looks pretty solid to me.

i think south florida is going to be a huge test early on b/c of their speed and defense. i'd say that's a very losable game, but if we get to 3-0 this team will get a chance to breath before that brutal road slate ramps up. florida is a team we were made to beat, lsu doesn't have a running game (and haven't since 03 really) which makes them very beatable, and uga proved that either team can win on the road at any given time. are we going unbeaten? no probably not, but we're good enough that we don't need to concede games from the start.

i think the dline will be a buzzsaw (best of the tubby era), the secondary is going to be more aggressive and effective (because of the pass rush). if we find 2-4 solid backers (stevens looks like a stud, johnson is solid, blackmon is a playmaker if he's back, bynes/harris could provide the size we need in the middle), that defense is going to be mean.

Will ANY team in the SEC even be allowed to compete for the Conf. Title unless Coach Sa-bear is prowling their sidelines?

Of course, even though we have a killer road schedule including at least two 2008 MNC contenders (Florida, LSU), play 7 returning 2006 bowl teams and 10 BCS conference opponents, be prepared to hear the national press talk about how weak our schedule is due to one 1-AA opponent.

I think our only substantive losses to graduation were at O-line and kickers. I think we'll be just as strong or stronger in other positions as last year. I'm not as concerned at receiver as I thought I'd be--since Courtney Taylor didn't finish with as strong a senior year as I expected we won't miss him quite as much as I feared. Similarly, with Kenny Irons and Brandon Cox playing hurt much of last year, it shouldn't be too unrealistic to expect a better year at both QB and RB in 2008. I'm looking forward to Year #2 of the Will Muschamp defensive era.

Like most even-numbered years, it's the road games that'll kill us. I still expect the home team of the AU-LSU game to win that game in a squeaker. And although Arkansas slipped through last year, I still think the winner of that game will go to Atlanta, as has usually been the norm in the SEC West in recent years.

Bama & Nick Saban, of course, will get a bye in the SECCG and repeat their A-Day scrimmage for the BCS Championship game. :rolleyes:

This could be one of the most compettive and balanced years in recent SEC football....As mcq said there are probably 3 in each division that could win the division and go to Atlanta. Truthfully, maybe 4 in each division, if you consider USC and bama. Spurrier has had a couple of pretty decent recruiting years to get the type players he wants. I don't think they will win the East, but will be a deciding factor. The same goes for bama, there is some talent on O, but the D is going to be shaky this year with several loses.

AUs schedule doesn't bode well with the road games, but I think the start out of the gates with 2 very tough OOC games will really be a big boost. If they are able to avoid the injury bug at the skill positions and on the OL. I think the O will be back up to 2005 standards, but with a vastly better D. Look at the skill positions, QB - Cox returning, RB - Stewart, Lester, Tate returning, WR - a bunch returning, add in Fannin at RB, WR, or a slot, TE - McKenzie, Trott, and Bennett returning, also addition of Goggans. If the OL comes together and the WRs step up, could be a very explosive O. I think the D is going to be better than even in recent years. The DL should be as stacked and loaded as ever. DEs the same. LBs may be a question with replacing Herring, Sears, and Dede, but if Blackmon straightens up, with Johnson, Evans, Gandy, Trahan, and Stevens should be a solid crew. The secondary probably returns more experience than any other and hopefully someone will fill shoes of shut down corner, or even two somebodies will do, ala 2004?

I too, see LSU/AU/Arkansas battling for the West. Arkansas' position will be defined by the off the field stuff. IF the problems that plagued them the past two months of the year, which saw them drop their last 3 LSU, SECCG, and bowl game, could see the hawgs back to usual form in the middle of West.

I think UF is still going to be very good. Tebow is a leader, regardless of throwing ability, goes along way in college football. They could always do the same system, but with different thrower? UGA will be very good with Stafford at the helm. UT will be contending. Once all is said and done I think UT comes out on top. Expereince at QB will win it for them.

Oh, I think the formidable games against KSU and USF all but nullify the Tenn. State game.

new mexico state is better than you think too. they averaged like 40 a game last year on offense. it's a really solid ooc schedule this year. no way to knock it unless ksu and usf both lay eggs this year. we just need to focus on beating these teams to stay away from a bad start.

I agree it's a good schedule. If that's the way you wish to think.

I look at that OOC schedule and see 2, possibly 3, landmine games. KSU and USF won't be as good as Auburn, but can scare the beejebus out of you. Kansas State beat Texas and USF knocked off West Virginia in Morgantown. If I were orange and blue, I'd be more worried about USF than the opener. Being from Florida, they're bound to have phenomenal athletes. Maybe not football players, per se, but awesome athletes.

I agree it's a good schedule. If that's the way you wish to think.

I look at that OOC schedule and see 2, possibly 3, landmine games. KSU and USF won't be as good as Auburn, but can scare the beejebus out of you. Kansas State beat Texas and USF knocked off West Virginia in Morgantown. If I were orange and blue, I'd be more worried about USF than the opener. Being from Florida, they're bound to have phenomenal athletes. Maybe not football players, per se, but awesome athletes.

I know Alabama is playing Florida State, who are the rest of the ooc teams?

Western Carolina, Houston, and UL-Monroe

We've got 2 pretty good squads lined up in FSU and Houston.

Yeah, Houston can put up some points with that multiple formation offense that Briles runs.

Archived