Shocking Saban facts, Good Article.

DKW 86

http://www.finebaum.com/sam.html

In short in his five seasons at :lsu: Saban had a winning record against how many of the Big Six :sec: teams?

The answer: Only one, and you guessed it, :ua:

2000: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_LSU_Tigers_football_team

W: UT, Bama

L: Auburn, Florida, UAB...

2001: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_LSU_Tigers_football_team

W: Auburn, Alabama, UT SECCG

L: UT, Florida

2002: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_LSU_Tigers_football_team

W: Florida

L: Alabama, Auburn

2003: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_LSU_Tigers_football_team

W: Auburn, Alabama, Georgia 2x SECCG

L: Florida

2004: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_LSU_Tigers_football_team

W: Florida, Alabama

L: Auburn, Georgia

Totals:

UAT: 4-1

AU: 2-3

UGA: 1-1 w/ Win in SECCG 2-1

UT: 1-1 w/ Win in SECCG 2-1

UF: 2-3

So regular season he is less than winning against 4/5 of the Top Teams in the SEC. With SECCG, he has a winning record with UT and UGA.

For Comparison, CTT over the same period.

2000:

W: LSU, Alabama, Georgia

L: Florida 2x SECCG

2001: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Auburn_Tigers_football_team

W: Florida, Georgia

L: Bama, LSU

2002:

W: Alabama, LSU

L: Florida, Georgia

2003: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Auburn_Tigers_football_team

W: Alabama, UT

L: Georgia, LSU

2004:

W: UT x2, Alabama, Georgia, LSU

L:

CTT Totals:

UAT: 4-1

LSU: 3-2

UGA: 3-2

UT: 2-0 w/ SECCG 3-0

UF: 1-2 w/SECCG 1-3

When the weather was 67 degrees and the wind was blowing NW at 8 MPH he was 1-3. Therefore, he is an awful coach.

Whistling through the graveyard, David...

When the weather was 67 degrees and the wind was blowing NW at 8 MPH he was 1-3. Therefore, he is an awful coach.

Whistling through the graveyard, David...

Nah, just putting a little reality into the conversation.

Remember, he was a regular season winner only against Bama with much better talent than he has now.

so, CNS is 12-9 and CTT is 14-8. not THAT much difference. CNS won 2 SECCG and a MNC and CTT won one SECCG. so obviously CNS is not a good coach according to you i guess. since AU has the better record in this comparison and CNS only beat :ua: consistantly, why hasn't AU found the same success as far as championships? i haven't seen an :au: win over a decent out of conference team looking all the way to 2000. i'm not knocking CTT because obviously he is a great coach, and i'm not saying :ua: is any better because we obviously haven't been.

so, CNS is 12-9 and CTT is 14-8. not THAT much difference. CNS won 2 SECCG and a MNC and CTT won one SECCG. so obviously CNS is not a good coach according to you i guess. since AU has the better record in this comparison and CNS only beat :ua: consistantly, why hasn't AU found the same success as far as championships? i haven't seen an :au: win over a decent out of conference team looking all the way to 2000. i'm not knocking CTT because obviously he is a great coach, and i'm not saying :ua: is any better because we obviously haven't been.

being an alabama fan i would expect you to understand that it takes more than on the field performance to win championships :poke: .

Va Tech, Wisconsin, PSU, Nebraska, Washington St, etc.

being an alabama fan i would expect you to understand that it takes more than on the field performance to win championships :poke: .

:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

so, CNS is 12-9 and CTT is 14-8. not THAT much difference.

CMS won 10 games year before last and CTT won nine. Not THAT much of a difference except one still has a job and the other is getting paid for doing nothing.

David never said those were the only facts, just some of them.

Va Tech - even though it was a close game (16-13) it was still a good one. that was a good Va. Tech team. right you are, good win for AU.

Wisconsin - they really didn't beat much of anyone who was anyone that season. then in 05 everyone was talking about how pathetic they were....before they beat yall.

PSU - lets break down their "major" wins that season. nebraska was #7 when they played (2nd game..PSU won 40-7) but nebraska finished the season not ranked and with a 7-7 record. wisconsin was #15 (5th game PSU won 34-31). wisconsin finished that season 8-6. PSU then went on to lose to #10 michigan, #4 ohio state, and #22 auburn.

Nebraska - were never ranked higher than #16, and the highest ranked team they beat was #23. finished the season 9-5. ranked #22 when they played AU who was ranked #10, lost by 3 points. alot of people here openly said that they didn't want to play nebraska because it was such an undermatched game.

Washington St. - finished the season 6-6, ranked 7th out of 10 teams in the Pac 10. come on, you threw this one in as a joke, right? ;)

Va Tech - even though it was a close game (16-13) it was still a good one. that was a good Va. Tech team. right you are, good win for AU.

Wisconsin - they really didn't beat much of anyone who was anyone that season. then in 05 everyone was talking about how pathetic they were....before they beat yall.

PSU - lets break down their "major" wins that season. nebraska was #7 when they played (2nd game..PSU won 40-7) but nebraska finished the season not ranked and with a 7-7 record. wisconsin was #15 (5th game PSU won 34-31). wisconsin finished that season 8-6. PSU then went on to lose to #10 michigan, #4 ohio state, and #22 auburn.

Nebraska - were never ranked higher than #16, and the highest ranked team they beat was #23. finished the season 9-5. ranked #22 when they played AU who was ranked #10, lost by 3 points. alot of people here openly said that they didn't want to play nebraska because it was such an undermatched game.

Washington St. - finished the season 6-6, ranked 7th out of 10 teams in the Pac 10. come on, you threw this one in as a joke, right? ;)

Which is why winning national titles is as much luck as it is winning games. LSU's 2003 team wouldn't have even been up for discussion in 2004 when Auburn went 13-0. That loss to Florida would have had them sitting behind USC, Auburn, Oklahoma and Utah just hoping the SEC got a second BCS berth.

Since we're critiquing Auburn' OOC schedule and asserting it as a reason we haven't won a MNC since 2000, let's take a look at LSU under Saban for comparison's sake:

LSU OOC Schedule

2000: Western Carolina, Houston, UAB, Ga Tech. Nope, nothing exciting there...especially that home loss to UAB. Ga Tech lost to every good team they played.

2001: Tulane, Utah State, Middle Tennessee St., Illinois. Illinois had a good year. The rest were cupcakes.

2002: Va Tech., Citadel, Miami (OH), La-Lafayette, Texas. Lost to VT and Texas badly. Beat up on the weak sisters.

2003: La-Monroe, Arizona, Western Illinois, La Tech, Oklahoma. Wait, I thought playing D-IAA teams was grounds for being left out of MNC games. Oklahoma was the only good team in the whole bunch and they were lucky to even get a shot at them.

2004: Oregon St., Arkansas St., Troy St., Iowa. Barely hung on to beat a 7-5 OSU team. Barely hung on to beat Troy St. Lost to Iowa.

Not exactly an impressive resume there...certainly nothing for a fan of Saban's new team to use as ammo against CTT and Auburn.

Which is why winning national titles is as much luck as it is winning games. LSU's 2003 team wouldn't have even been up for discussion in 2004 when Auburn went 13-0. That loss to Florida would have had them sitting behind USC, Auburn, Oklahoma and Utah just hoping the SEC got a second BCS berth.

Since we're critiquing Auburn' OOC schedule and asserting it as a reason we haven't won a MNC since 2000, let's take a look at LSU under Saban for comparison's sake:

LSU OOC Schedule

2000: Western Carolina, Houston, UAB, Ga Tech. Nope, nothing exciting there...especially that home loss to UAB. Ga Tech lost to every good team they played.

2001: Tulane, Utah State, Middle Tennessee St., Illinois. Illinois had a good year. The rest were cupcakes.

2002: Va Tech., Citadel, Miami (OH), La-Lafayette, Texas. Lost to VT and Texas badly. Beat up on the weak sisters.

2003: La-Monroe, Arizona, Western Illinois, La Tech, Oklahoma. Wait, I thought playing D-IAA teams was grounds for being left out of MNC games. Oklahoma was the only good team in the whole bunch and they were lucky to even get a shot at them.

2004: Oregon St., Arkansas St., Troy St., Iowa. Barely hung on to beat a 7-5 OSU team. Barely hung on to beat Troy St. Lost to Iowa.

Not exactly an impressive resume there...certainly nothing for a fan of Saban's new team to use as ammo against CTT and Auburn.

you must have missed the part where i said "i'm not knocking CTT because obviously he is a great coach, and i'm not saying is any better because we obviously haven't been." and as far as your post goes, it sort of makes my point for me. DKW's post implies that the measuring stick of success is SEC teams. much the way my post implies that OOC scheduling is. "Which is why winning national titles is as much luck as it is winning games." that hits the nail squarely on the head.

SEMANTICS!!!!

You said decent, not superior, great, or quality. Those teams were all "decent." Hell, the majority of teams are "decent," yes, even Alabama. But we aren't looking for decent, what you should have said was "quality" and the reason Auburn hasn't beaten any "quality" teams is because the one's outside our conference refuse to play against us.

LSU OOC Schedule

you must have missed the part where i said "i'm not knocking CTT because obviously he is a great coach, and i'm not saying is any better because we obviously haven't been." and as far as your post goes, it sort of makes my point for me. DKW's post implies that the measuring stick of success is SEC teams. much the way my post implies that OOC scheduling is. "Which is why winning national titles is as much luck as it is winning games." that hits the nail squarely on the head.

Well, I wasn't asserting that you were comparing CTT and Bama. The comparison was CTT and CNS. I think the reason David's comparison is better than yours is that we know the SEC is a strong conference year in and year out and it's a way to compare common opponents and thus be apples to apples. It's hard to measure OOC opponents when we never or rarely played the same ones in the same season or time span.

Tried to amke this as Apples to Apples as I could. That was my only point. We have heard so much about how great CNS is for quite some time now. We/I was only pointing out that there is some question as to just HOW good he really is. He did win one MNC and two SEC. That is great. he also had far better talent than he now has.

If you look back on the first three seasons he had at :lsu: 2000, 2001, 2002. I think you will agree he was only so so at best other than an SEC Title. I think he will be jard pressed to beat that run at Alabama. If he doesnt get at least an SEC Title by his third year, he wont have to worry about it anyway. He will be gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to amke this as Apples to Apples as I could. That was my only point. We have heard so much about how great CNS is for quite some time now. We/I was only pointing out that there is some question as to just HOW good he really is. He did win one MNC and two SEC. That is great. he also had far better talent than he now has.

If you look back on the first three seasons he had at :lsu: 2000, 2001, 2002. I think you will agree he was only so so at best other than an SEC Title. I think he will be jard pressed to beat that run at Alabama. If he doesnt get at least an SEC Title by his third year, he wont have to worry about it anyway. He will be gone.

I will say this...Saban was the one who made LSU as easy to recruit as it is today....because before him...no coaches did it...it just didnt happen. Dinardo had one great class ranked #1 but that was it....every other class was far from high ranked.

Saban wont have any Spurrier 90's like runs....but I do think Saban will make Bama a very solid/consistent 9-10 win team in 2-3 years.

I will say this...Saban was the one who made LSU as easy to recruit as it is today....because before him...no coaches did it...it just didnt happen. Dinardo had one great class ranked #1 but that was it....every other class was far from high ranked.

Saban wont have any Spurrier 90's like runs....but I do think Saban will make Bama a very solid/consistent 9-10 win team in 2-3 years.

If you got to hear from some of the fans Ranger and I know, that will never be good enough for him to keep his job. :no: Seriously...

I know bammers are not on here criticizing our OOC schedule. You are kidding me right?

Our maybe it is the fact that UAT has become such a joke now that when they play weak sisters, it is actually a tough game for UAT now.

I know bammers are not on here criticizing our OOC schedule. You are kidding me right?

Our maybe it is the fact that UAT has become such a joke now that when they play weak sisters, it is actually a tough game for UAT now.

hey, when they come to play Bama they ALWAYS bring their "A"-game. :poke:

Shocking Saban facts

I thought this topic was going to be like Chuck Norris facts.

I heard Nick Saban once bit a car in half and spit the pieces at his assistant coaches that he felt weren't up to his immaculate standards, making way for an all-star staff.

Tried to amke this as Apples to Apples as I could. That was my only point.

We have heard so much about how great CNS is for quite some time now. We/I was only pointing out that there is some question as to just HOW good he really is.
He did win one MNC and two SEC. That is great. he also had far better talent than he now has.

"S" the Football God will win the SEC in 2007 & the MNC in 2008, 2009, 2010 etc..

How can he not? bama is a football POWER and now with a God stepping in to take over...

I actually heard this...Auburn is building their basketball Arena now in hopes that we can become a basketball school as soon as posible.

:blink:

We have heard so much about how great CNS is for quite some time now. We/I was only pointing out that there is some question as to just HOW good he really is.
He did win one MNC and two SEC. That is great. he also had far better talent than he now has.

"S" the Football God will win the SEC in 2007 & the MNC in 2008, 2009, 2010 etc..

How can he not? bama is a football POWER and now with a God stepping in to take over...

I actually heard this...Auburn is building their basketball Arena now in hopes that we can become a basketball school as soon as posible.

Well, there does seem to be something of a vacuum in Div-I basketball in the state right now. And we may as well fill it since it doesn't look like Bama will.

Besides, we already own two football stadiums--one in Auburn and one in Tuscaloosa--so it's time to upgrade BB facilities.

Well, there does seem to be something of a vacuum in Div-I basketball in the state right now. And we may as well fill it since it doesn't look like Bama will.

Besides, we already own two football stadiums--one in Auburn and one in Tuscaloosa--so it's time to upgrade BB facilities.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Post of the day! :thumbsup:

Shocking Saban facts

I heard Nick Saban once bit a car in half and spit the pieces at his assistant coaches that he felt weren't up to his immaculate standards, making way for an all-star staff.

Nope, it was a dump truck. He spit the pieces at the Barners that were trying to spy on his revolutionary conditioning program. He had already assembled the greatest staff in history, so the 07 MNC is a lock.

Shocking Saban facts

Nope, it was a dump truck. He spit the pieces at the Barners that were trying to spy on his revolutionary conditioning program. He had already assembled the greatest staff in history, so the 07 MNC is a lock.

I heard he poops National Championships due to his steady diet of excellence and fiber.

Archived