SI Poll: Which college football team do you hate the most

quietfan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uglier than the previous Cotton Bowl? That was quite the stinker in its own regard.

Yeah, but a 70 yard touchdown pass, and a late drive the length of the field for a game winning field goal...is a little better than the AU/NU effort. (in between those two things...the TD and the FG drive, it was as ugly)

You have to remember that Auburn has 1 undefeated season and 1 undefeated regular season. In 1993 Auburn was on probation and unable to play in the Conference champ. game, or a bowl game, so that is not a real undefeated season....more like an incomplete.

Baloney.

The undefeated season that Bama has is 13 games that include the Conference championship game, and the bowl game.

As we did in 2004. That still doesn't discount the 1993 season. Should we discount seasons back in the 30s, 40s and 50s when teams often played only 9 or 10 games total and went undefeated simply because we play more games now?

I think that any team that goes undefeated or has only 1 loss during a season has luck on their side. If you watch all the games. There is always one or two games that are very close, and maybe just won by a field goal or it seems like a miracle. I don't think that win in the bowl game against Miami was because of luck.

We played great, and I don't think anyone could have beaten us that night. We were just ready for that game, and it was just our day.

You missed his point. The luck he speaks of is the beauty pageant known as voting for a national champ instead of having a playoff. You were lucky in that the teams that were ahead of you that year that you needed to move in front of lost games so you could get in position. Had FSU remained undefeated that year or Notre Dame (both of which were ahead of you), you would have suffered the same fate as out '04 team: playing in the Sugar Bowl while watching two other teams vie for the title. Or hell, if it had been Washington that remained undefeated instead of Miami (Washington was the preseason #1), given that there was no BCS and the Rose Bowl was locked in with the Pac 10 and Big Ten, you likely could have beaten some one or two loss team in the Sugar and still finished second if Washington won the Rose Bowl. That's called luck. It doesn't diminish what your team did on the field because it's something completely out of their control.

We were unlucky in that neither USC nor Oklahoma, who started out #1 and #2 never lost and it's hard to supplant a major team from a major conference when that happens no matter who you are.

I didn't mention the 2004 season, and I just meant that you only had 1 undefeated season in that time frame. That was an undefeated season, and I would not in any way try to discredit that. I am only saying that I feel for a team in the SEC to declare a perfect undefeated season they have to win all the games that constitutes a complete season in the SEC, and at time it was 13. Auburn

only had an undefeated regular season, and not a perfect season.

I see what you mean about being lucky. I remember we were at LSU when they announced that Washington had lost and that made us #2. I think that is when it hit me that we might be playing for a national championship. Didn't FSU (and I'm just asking...can't remember) remain undefeated that year.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Didn't FSU (and I'm just asking...can't remember) remain undefeated that year.

Google it. I am not doing your research for you.

But, as usual, you're wrong. I don't think Bowden (either one) won the crystal houndstooth that year either.

Nobody has ever won the crystal houndstooth ... just saying. Also, for the record: the Bahr never won Coach of the Year award, either -- I guess his best efforts weren't good enough. B)

But, as usual, you're wrong. I don't think Bowden (either one) won the crystal houndstooth that year either.

The Coach at Jesuit High won it that year.

Uglier than the previous Cotton Bowl? That was quite the stinker in its own regard.

Yeah, but a 70 yard touchdown pass, and a late drive the length of the field for a game winning field goal...is a little better than the AU/NU effort. (in between those two things...the TD and the FG drive, it was as ugly)

The 70 yard touchdown pass really was not a touchdown either. DJ Hall had his knee on the ground as soon as he caught the ball around Bammers 35 or 40 yard line. The ball should have been marked at that spot, but the referees allowed DJ Hall to get up off his knees and run 60 or 65 yards for a touchdown. That is just another terrible call by the referees that went in favor of Bammer.

The Coach at Jesuit High won it that year.

If he'd just walked out arm in arm with his players, he'd have won more than that. Too bad he didn't think of it.

The 70 yard touchdown pass really was not a touchdown either. DJ Hall had his knee on the ground as soon as he caught the ball around Bammers 35 or 40 yard line. The ball should have been marked at that spot, but the referees allowed DJ Hall to get up off his knees and run 60 or 65 yards for a touchdown. That is just another terrible call by the referees that went in favor of Bammer.

It was Keith Brown.

It was Keith Brown.

I think the ref is looking closely at one of these two fighters. He may stop it.

It was Keith Brown.

It was still another terrible call by the referees that favored Bammer.

It was Keith Brown.

It was still another terrible call by the referees that favored Bammer.

You're right. Alabama had Big 10 refs in their back pocket.

Please excuse me "Ole wise men of football". I don't know where I got the idea that the crystal hat was the trophy, but thanks so much for enlightening me, and in such a polite manner I must say. Some of you guys are so quick to want to disagree with, and try to argue with a Bama fan that you don't even take the time to read the post or see the manner in which it was written. All the posts from Bama fans are not meant to put down your school. I like when someone helps me by telling me I was wrong, but you really don't have to be so critical when doing so.

Please excuse me "Ole wise men of football". I don't know where I got the idea that the crystal hat was the trophy, but thanks so much for enlightening me, and in such a polite manner I must say. Some of you guys are so quick to want to disagree with, and try to argue with a Bama fan that you don't even take the time to read the post or see the manner in which it was written. All the posts from Bama fans are not meant to put down your school. I like when someone helps me by telling me I was wrong, but you really don't have to be so critical when doing so.

To answer your question, they got the crap kicked out of them by Notre Dame and Granny one week after the Miami game. The "experts" dropped FSU one spot in the polls so that they could win the MNC anyway.

A person here or there saying they like AU does not equate "universally loved".

USC, Oklahoma, LSU, Alabama, Georgia fans...all hate Auburn.

I was on a Nebraska board the other day...and many expressed their distaste for AU.

We have fans of the above-mentioned schools on this board. How many of you hate Auburn? I don't just mean as a fan "hates" their rival. I mean, hates all aspects of Auburn. And distaste is not the same as hate.

Like I've said before. In the last 25 years Bama has more bowl appearances, bowl wins, 10 win seasons, National Championships. Auburn has more conference championships, but that is counting championships between 82-89. Bama has more since the 80s. Auburn has only 1 SEC title since the SEC championship game was instituted. Alabama has represented the west more times than Auburn in the SEC title game.

So if we are irrelevant, Auburn is too...save their 2004 season. What did AU do between 89 and 04?

And Bama has more losing seasons the last 25 years. And Bama has lost to teams like Hawaii, Memphis, Louisiani Tech twice, Northern Illinois, and Central Florida too in that time as well. Not to mention graduating three classes that never beat Auburn. So what's your point? Please, don't try to argue the last 25 years with us, you will lose. Stick to the Bear Bryant years and you're good to go. You also seem to forget that two of our best teams between 1989 and 2004 were bowl ineligible(1993 and 1994). You may remember those teams Bamagrad. The teams that won 20 straight games. You talk about us having only one SEC Title in 15 years. The '93 squad was undefeated and was denied a shot at playing for the title. Bama fans like to remind us of how Auburn has benefited from Bama being in a "weakened state." What they fail to realize, is that Auburn was in that same weakened state in the early 90's. Probation and coaching turmoil was the consistent theme for the program then. At least it was with the exception on 93-94.

Answer me this trivia question Bamagrad. Do you want to take a stab at who was the last team Bama beat that finished in the top ten? And no, Florida '05 doesn't count because that team didn't finish in the top ten.

Give up. It was the 94 Tigers who finished #9 in both polls.

In the last three years, Auburn has beaten five teams that have finished in the top ten at season's end. So please, spare me this Auburn has only won one SEC Title in the last 15 years crap. Bama's only won two. And one of those titles came in the same year in which the Tide lost to Louisiana Tech, at home. So please, spare me the argument and let's move on.

And Bama's national title does not count because there is no such thing as a national champion in college football. Until college football has a legitimite playoff, there is no true champion. Period.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Get thicker skin.

So what's your point?

I thought my point was simple. More bowl wins, more bowl appearances, more 10 win seasons, more national titles than AU in the last 25 years. More SEC titles since the 80s.

The '93 squad was undefeated and was denied a shot at playing for the title.

Like our 02 team couldn't play for the SEC title even though they had the best record in the west?

What they fail to realize, is that Auburn was in that same weakened state in the early 90's

How many scholarships did you lose? And how good were your teams in the late 90s?

Answer me this trivia question Bamagrad. Do you want to take a stab at who was the last team Bama beat that finished in the top ten? And no, Florida '05 doesn't count because that team didn't finish in the top ten.

That reminds me...more top 10 finishes than AU in the last 25 years.

And Bama's national title does not count because there is no such thing as a national champion in college football.

How convienent. If you don't win any, just discredit them all. That way you are on par with everyone else.

Bottom line, if Alabama is irrelevant, so is Auburn. 0 National titles in 25 years, and 1 conference title since i was in the 4th grade...I'm just sayin.

This whole thread has gone way off the point....again Auburn has nothing to do with this poll. BG you are arguing how relevant this poll makes uat look right now. You are arguing over the fact that you are one of the most hated teams in America (and seem to be proud of that). IMO it just shows how irrelevant you have become over the years if you are proud of the fact that you are one of the most hated teams in America, you basically have nothing else to be proud of? I'm just sayin whether Auburn had sucked over the past 25 years or not I wouldn't want to be listed with those schools or in that poll.

I thought my point was simple. More bowl wins, more bowl appearances, more 10 win seasons, more national titles than AU in the last 25 years. More SEC titles since the 80s.

National Titles don't count. Give me a playoff, and then we'll talk titles. The only difference between Auburn and Bama is that Bama was given a shot in '92 while we got shafted. The whole system is a joke. So please, don't let that be your standard. Your whole argument is pathetic. On one hand, you argue wins, bowl appearances, and more "mythical national titles" in the past 25 years to prove your point. Then, when I bring up our 5 SEC Titles in the last 25 years to Bama's three, you then turn around and say that Bama has more SEC Titles than Auburn since the 80's. I thought we were arguing the past 25 years here, not the past 15?

Like our 02 team couldn't play for the SEC title even though they had the best record in the west?

Bama lost two games at home in '02. Auburn went undefeated. It's not the same thing. Not only did probation deny us a shot at the SEC title, but it denied us a shot at the natioanal title as well. Not the same thing.

How many scholarships did you lose? And how good were your teams in the late 90s?

I think it was 20. Pat Dye's final three years were marred by Eric Ramsey this, Eric Ramsey that. His last three teams were immensely talented, but there was too much contraversy off the field. The 1993 campaign was just a glimpse into how good those Pat Dye recruited teams were, without any contraversy off the field. After 1994, the scholarship limitations and Terry Bowden's piss poor recruiting destroyed us.

That reminds me...more top 10 finishes than AU in the last 25 years.

Perfect. You avoid my question by bringing up top ten finishes. Auburn has 9 top ten finishes in the past 25 years. Not bad. And I know that you Bama fans stopped keeping count a while back, but the post Bryant record against Bama still stands at 15-10.

And Bama's national title does not count because there is no such thing as a national champion in college football.

How convienent. If you don't win any, just discredit them all. That way you are on par with everyone else.

Bottom line, if Alabama is irrelevant, so is Auburn. 0 National titles in 25 years, and 1 conference title since i was in the 4th grade...I'm just sayin.

You obviously haven't read any of my previous posts. If Auburn goes 14-0 next year and is crowned national champs by the AP and BCS, I will not recognize it. I will recognize a 14-0 season and an SEC Championships because those things are won on the field. Not in the media. Not in some convoluted computer system. I don't recognize Auburn's title in 1957 like I don't recognize any of Bama's titles.

You're so quick to point out 0 national titles in 25 years. You fail to mention 1983 when Auburn was 3rd going into the Sugar Bowl, won the Sugar Bowl, both #1 and #2 lost their bowl games, yet, the media moved Miami from #5 to #1, while Auburn stayed at 3rd. Total screw job. Same deal in 2004. Is that the fault of our players and coaches? If #1 and #2 went through tne entire 1992 season undefeated, then Bama would have 0 national titles to brag about in the past 25 years. Bama got lucky to be in that damn game while Auburn got unlucky. It's as simple as that. Which is precisely why I don't recognize national titles in college football. Any system where you have two national champions in one year does not deserve my recognition, but indifference.

One more thing Bamagrad. From 1982-2006, Auburn has more overall wins (214) to Bama's (203). You failed to mention that.

One more thing Bamagrad. From 1982-2006, Auburn has more overall wins (214) to Bama's (203). You failed to mention that.

That's right. I most certainly didnt.

But you are correct. Over our worst 25 year stretch in program history...and AU's best 25 year stretch in program history...you guys average .44 more wins per year than us.

Good job!

But you are correct. Over our worst 25 year stretch in program history...and AU's best 25 year stretch in program history...you guys average .44 more wins per year than us.

Good job!

That stretch meaning your entire life?

Good job!

Only because of the infamous forfeit year 1993*

Archived