SI Poll: Which college football team do you hate the most

quietfan

A person here or there saying they like AU does not equate "universally loved".

USC, Oklahoma, LSU, Alabama, Georgia fans...all hate Auburn.

I was on a Nebraska board the other day...and many expressed their distaste for AU.

Everything you read on teh Internets is true.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Selective logic.

Ole Miss is one of the winningest programs of the 2003s.

In trying to make a point, you have to stretch back beyond the last 25 years -- or into the Bryant era again. It's all you have. In a short while, you'll become even more like Ole Miss and start talking about "most successful of the last FOUR decades." That's what they do, you know. They keep reaching further and further back to find validation. They still consider themselves an SEC power, too.

It's no stretch to say that Nebraska, for one, has been significantly more successful than Alabama over the last 25 years, but you don't find the Huskers on that list. It's not "winning" that makes people hate Alabama. There aren't many people still alive who remember Bama as "winners" anyway.

Like I've said before. In the last 25 years Bama has more bowl appearances, bowl wins, 10 win seasons, National Championships. Auburn has more conference championships, but that is counting championships between 82-89. Bama has more since the 80s. Auburn has only 1 SEC title since the SEC championship game was instituted. Alabama has represented the west more times than Auburn in the SEC title game.

So if we are irrelevant, Auburn is too...save their 2004 season. What did AU do between 89 and 04?

Auburn is universally loved. You guys are universally hated.

We know what we are. For the last 25 years, AU's been one of the better teams in the SEC. We don't claim to be the alpha and omega of football. I'm happy with the state of our program. Have been since Barfield left. Down years are anomalies.

until you can provide proof from the majority of people in every fanbase of every football team in the nation, and the majority of all reporters in the nation, AU isn't "universally" loved. ;)

Selective logic.

In trying to make a point, you have to stretch back beyond the last 25 years -- or into the Bryant era again. It's all you have. In a short while, you'll become even more like Ole Miss and start talking about "most successful of the last FOUR decades." That's what they do, you know. They keep reaching further and further back to find validation. They still consider themselves an SEC power, too.

It's no stretch to say that Nebraska, for one, has been significantly more successful than Alabama over the last 25 years, but you don't find the Huskers on that list. It's not "winning" that makes people hate Alabama. There aren't many people still alive who remember Bama as "winners" anyway.

Like I've said before. In the last 25 years Bama has more bowl appearances, bowl wins, 10 win seasons, National Championships. Auburn has more conference championships, but that is counting championships between 82-89. Bama has more since the 80s. Auburn has only 1 SEC title since the SEC championship game was instituted. Alabama has represented the west more times than Auburn in the SEC title game.

So if we are irrelevant, Auburn is too...save their 2004 season. What did AU do between 89 and 04?

Auburn is universally loved. You guys are universally hated.

We know what we are. For the last 25 years, AU's been one of the better teams in the SEC. We don't claim to be the alpha and omega of football. I'm happy with the state of our program. Have been since Barfield left. Down years are anomalies.

until you can provide proof from the majority of people in every fanbase of every football team in the nation, and the majority of all reporters in the nation, AU isn't "universally" loved. ;)

When you make a statement that's unequivocably true, something like tigers are animals, you don't have to prove that. Common knowledge. I could go into any courtroom and say "frogs are amphibians" or "Auburn is universally loved" and not be challenged.

There might have been a high school back in the 70s that was universally loved, but I don't have access to that information. And since universal love is not exclusive by nature the relevance is questionable.

The fact that UAT is last in the poll shows how irrelevant they have become.

The fact that they are in the poll with Miami, USC, and Notre Dame shows exactly how relevant they still are.

When you've sucked for most of the last 25 years, being hated on top of that is nothing to aspire to.

If you suck for 25 years, nobody hates you and you don't make lists like that.

you are last in votes :big:

Guest Tigrinum Major

Unnamed high school teams, players at Jesuit high school in Louisiana and the New England Patriots love us.

Unnamed high school teams, players at Jesuit high school in Louisiana and the New England Patriots love us.

universally

Guest Tigrinum Major

universally

It's incumbent on runswithscissors to disprove the statement.

Selective logic.

In the last 25 years, Auburn has won more games, has a higher winning percentage, has had more undefeated seasons, and has won more SEC championships than the Bammers. Auburn has had two undefeated seasons, and the Bammers have had one. The fact the Bammer has 1 national championship over the last 25 years and Auburn has 0 has more to do with luck than anything else.

Over the last 25 years, the Bammer football program has also been put on probation more times, changed coaches more often, and had more coaches caught having sex with their secretaries or an ugly stripper.

In the last 25 years, Auburn has won more games, has a higher winning percentage, has had more undefeated seasons, and has won more SEC championships than the Bammers. Auburn has had two undefeated seasons, and the Bammers have had one. The fact the Bammer has 1 national championship over the last 25 years and Auburn has 0 has more to do with luck than anything else.

More to do with luck? Or more to do with you being on probation? You went undefeated, but didn't get to play your two hardest games of the year...the SEC title game, and the national championship game.

And I already said you had more SEC titles. But the majority of your titles are claimed from the 80s. Just think about it, for all the kids graduating high school next year, AU has won one SEC title in their lifetime.

More to do with luck? Or more to do with you being on probation? You went undefeated, but didn't get to play your two hardest games of the year...the SEC title game, and the national championship game.

And I already said you had more SEC titles. But the majority of your titles are claimed from the 80s. Just think about it, for all the kids graduating high school next year, AU has won one SEC title in their lifetime.

Auburn was not on probation when they went undefeated in 2004. Bammer went undefeated in 1992 and won the national championship. Auburn went undefeated in 2004 and did not win the national championship. How do you explain that? The fact that Bammer won the national championship in 1992, and Auburn did not in 2004 had more to do with luck than anything else.

Just think about it, for all the kids graduating high school next year, AU has won one SEC title in their lifetime.

And Bammer has won 2 SEC titles in their lifetime. Bammer was put on probation almost immediately after winning both of those SEC championships too. Bammer was put on probation almost immediately after they won the national championship and SEC championship in 1992. Bammer was also put on probation almost immediately after they won the SEC championship in 1999.

So you guys think it is just a coincidence that the 4 teams listed are 3 of the winningest programs of all time...and 1 that is one of the winningest programs of the last 3 decades?

If you hadn't of hired SaPerk you would not be on that list. That whole situation has pushed you to be hated and rooted against nation wide. At least hiring SaPerk got in the top 5 of something. B)

And Bammer has won 2 SEC titles in their lifetime. Bammer was put on probation almost immediately after winning both of those SEC championships too. Bammer was put on probation almost immediately after the won the national championship and SEC championship in 1992. Bammer was also put on probation almost immediately after they won the SEC championship in 1999.

Yet the NCAA didn't take any of those championships away. So you can't discount them.

If you hadn't of hired SaPerk you would not be on that list. That whole situation has pushed you to be hated and rooted against nation wide. At least hiring SaPerk got in the top 5 of something.

That may be true. But it is also an indication of how relevant we are now...with Saban. Some of that had slipped over the last few years with Shula and probation.

That may be true. But it is also an indication of how relevant we are now...with Saban. Some of that had slipped over the last few years with Shula and probation.

Utterly and completely irrelevant.

You guys are hated in the same way Rosie O'Donnell is. You have nothing to say, whatever career you had was so long ago people can't remember what, exactly it was and right now they wish you'd shut up. The old guard media -- buzzards like Keith Jackson and Vern Whatshisname -- remember Alabama as a viable team when they were children and still babble about it now. As those guys retire and/or die out and aren't hawking Bama any longer, you'll fade from the most hated lists too. In another nine or ten years they'll do a VH1 Where Are They Now special on your team.

In another nine or ten years they'll do a VH1 Where Are They Now special on your team.

You may be right. let's go down the checklist of things needed to make that show.

Drugs - check

strippers - check

no recent success - check

Sounds like there is no need to wait ten more years for the program. Should be able to film it now.

Selective logic.

Over the last 25 years, the Bammer football program has also been put on probation more times, changed coaches more often, and had more coaches caught having sex with their secretaries or an ugly stripper.

You have to remember that Auburn has 1 undefeated season and 1 undefeated regular season. In 1993 Auburn was on probation and unable to play in the Conference champ. game, or a bowl game, so that is not a real undefeated season....more like an incomplete. The undefeated season that Bama has is 13 games that include the Conference championship game, and the bowl game.

I think that any team that goes undefeated or has only 1 loss during a season has luck on their side. If you watch all the games. There is always one or two games that are very close, and maybe just won by a field goal or it seems like a miracle. I don't think that win in the bowl game against Miami was because of luck.

We played great, and I don't think anyone could have beaten us that night. We were just ready for that game, and it was just our day.

In 1993 Auburn was on probation and unable to play in the Conference champ. game, or a bowl game, so that is not a real undefeated season.

Go tell that to Jason Miska. I bet Jay Barker still has nightmares.

USC, Oklahoma, LSU, Alabama, Georgia fans...all hate Auburn.

I was on a Nebraska board the other day...and many expressed their distaste for AU.

This is interesting. When we last played Nebraska, I got on several Nebraska forum sites, and "universally" they spoke only of how classy our fan base was and how much they appreciated the way they were treated and the tradition that we have. Do you care to link the site of which you speak?

If USC fans hate us, which I doubt...then it's because when we went out there to play them, the CHiPs tried to drive their vehicles through the middle of Tiger Walk and we started chanting "O.J. did it!.....O.J. did it!...." at them.

I have no idea why you say Oklahoma hates us. That is totally random.

LSU hates us indeed, and we hate them right back ten-fold. I couldn't care less about what LSU fans think of Auburn.

Alabama fans do not hate us because Tennessee is their biggest rival. :roflol:

Georgia fans do not hate us because as strong as that rivalry is, it is still just like brother-against-brother. You only "hate" them when it's time for the game. The rest of the time just a little friendly trash-talking with no harm done.

You basically have no clue what you are talking about on this.

And BTW, the ONLY reason Alabama is on that poll is because they hired a Rockstar coach. The shine will soon wear off and you will once again be battling it out with Ole Miss in your "rightful place in college football."

You have to remember that Auburn has 1 undefeated season and 1 undefeated regular season. In 1993 Auburn was on probation and unable to play in the Conference champ. game, or a bowl game, so that is not a real undefeated season....more like an incomplete.

Baloney.

The undefeated season that Bama has is 13 games that include the Conference championship game, and the bowl game.

As we did in 2004. That still doesn't discount the 1993 season. Should we discount seasons back in the 30s, 40s and 50s when teams often played only 9 or 10 games total and went undefeated simply because we play more games now?

I think that any team that goes undefeated or has only 1 loss during a season has luck on their side. If you watch all the games. There is always one or two games that are very close, and maybe just won by a field goal or it seems like a miracle. I don't think that win in the bowl game against Miami was because of luck.

We played great, and I don't think anyone could have beaten us that night. We were just ready for that game, and it was just our day.

You missed his point. The luck he speaks of is the beauty pageant known as voting for a national champ instead of having a playoff. You were lucky in that the teams that were ahead of you that year that you needed to move in front of lost games so you could get in position. Had FSU remained undefeated that year or Notre Dame (both of which were ahead of you), you would have suffered the same fate as out '04 team: playing in the Sugar Bowl while watching two other teams vie for the title. Or hell, if it had been Washington that remained undefeated instead of Miami (Washington was the preseason #1), given that there was no BCS and the Rose Bowl was locked in with the Pac 10 and Big Ten, you likely could have beaten some one or two loss team in the Sugar and still finished second if Washington won the Rose Bowl. That's called luck. It doesn't diminish what your team did on the field because it's something completely out of their control.

We were unlucky in that neither USC nor Oklahoma, who started out #1 and #2 never lost and it's hard to supplant a major team from a major conference when that happens no matter who you are.

Did they even have message boards the last time you guys played Nebraska?

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure message boards were around back on January 1.

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure message boards were around back on January 1.

Not in the midwest. The whole message board thing just caught on a few weeks ago out there.

Guest Tigrinum Major

This guy just lost all credibility.

Keep up with current events much?

Archived