Florida now has...

BamaGrad03

BG where are you getting Meyer's salary numbers from? Because as far as I know when he started at Florida he was making in the neighborhood of 1.5 million Link (click on SEC) and like the others have said $aban hasn't even coached a game for uat yet, if Urban is making around 3 million at least he won a MNC with the team he coaches for.

As for Donovan the man won back to Back NC's assuming he had wanted to coach in the pros and money was the issue UF would have had to pony up that kind of money to keep him, I don't think any other school or NFL team was looking to put up the kind of money your team did for $aban and don't even get me started on the no buyout clause (if that doesn't reek of desperation nothing does).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one that sees a big difference between

Program A

* at the pinnacle of college athletic success

* the envy of other programs

* coaches have had an unprecedented run of success over the past seasons

* paying their coaches and AD's among the top in the country

Program B

* at their worst period in 40 years

* lagging at the middle of their conference

* coach had one of the absolute worst teams in his league in the past season

* paying their coach among the top in the country

One has earned it. The other hired a rockstar out of pure arrogance.

Am I the only one that sees a big difference between

Program A

* at the pinnacle of college athletic success

* the envy of other programs

* coaches have had an unprecedented run of success over the past seasons

* paying their coaches and AD's among the top in the country

Program B

* at their worst period in 40 years

* lagging at the middle of their conference

* coach had one of the absolute worst teams in his league in the past season

* paying their coach among the top in the country

One has earned it. The other hired a rockstar out of pure arrogance.

I guess it won't been too long until we all see if it was worth it.

All that said, a 32 mill no buyout no fault contract with absolutely no saftey for the University is nutz.

I'm going to go out on a limb here (and risk being kicked in the groin by my own brethren) and say that I think the no buyout contract was actually pretty smart. Think about it like this. If another school is willing to pay Saban enough money to get him to walk away from $32 million, he must be winning a ton of games at UAT. So essentially, even if he leaves, UAT got what they wanted -- a repaired program. On the flip side, if he is a turd (see: Mike Dubose, Mike Price, Mike Shula) they can kick his ass to the curb without having to shell out 4 million bones again.

Sort of a counter-intuitive approach, but I hope this is what they were thinking... for their own dignity.

That's not how it works. Saban can walk away clear and free if he chooses. If Bama cans him, you can bet he's getting paid his money. Saban was holding all the cards. Do you really think even he would be dumb enough to sign a contract that allows Bama to fire him without paying out his contract?

Archived