Major Applewhite....Offensive Genius....

otterinbham

I haven't really paid attention to Alabama this year, but a friend of mine starts rhapsodizing over the merits of Major Applewhite.

So, isn't this the same guy whose offense had a major league pantswetting against Troy this past year in the bowl game?

Just curious.

Well, I would not call him an offensive genius because he has not gotten close to showing that in his young coaching career.

However, I am not going to completely judge him by his young coaching career either. Most coaches, when they are starting out, do not stay at one place very long and they do not start out with stellar numbers either. When Applewhite was the QB at Texas, I thought he showed that he had a good head on his shoulders. I think he got shafted out of the starting position because of who Chris Simms was instead of losing the job because Simms was better then him, and if you ask me, Simms was not. Personally, I think he has what it takes to become a good coach.

Just the fact that Applewhite is showing that he is ready to commit to a team could eventually be a bad thing for the rest of the SEC, that is if Saban stays around long enough at UAT for Applewhite to make in impact. If so, even then I think it will take Applewhite a few years to make good, if he is capable of doing that, but if Saban is still around in a few years, will he be patient enough with Applewhite to give him that time? Then again, Applewhite may never be able to do any better then what he has already done.

Regardless of what I or others think of what Applewhite's potential is, Saban still took a big risk by hiring an unproven coach in such an important position. Bammers don't have the patience to let a up and coming coach prove himself.

I haven't really paid attention to Alabama this year, but a friend of mine starts rhapsodizing over the merits of Major Applewhite.

So, isn't this the same guy whose offense had a major league pantswetting against Troy this past year in the bowl game?

Just curious.

Did, it was RICE. Rice in a BOWL game. They still put up 17 points against a much better Troy team. The QB threw 5 INTs.

Regardless, it was the best offensive season in Rice's school history.

Just curious.

Did, it was RICE. Rice in a BOWL game. They still put up 17 points against a much better Troy team. The QB threw 5 INTs.

Regardless, it was the best offensive season in Rice's school history.

Refresh my memory BG, wasn't Todd Graham his own OC?

Saban still took a big risk by hiring an unproven coach in such an important position

Applewhite was the first one that didn't turn him down. He (Saban) didn't have much choice but to hire him.

Nah. Last year Major was the OC for that Rice squad. That doesn't mean Graham didn't have input though.

Nah. Last year Major was the OC for that Rice squad. That doesn't mean Graham didn't have input though.

Why didn't Graham take him to Tulsa?

Because he was either going to take the head coaching job at Rice or come to UA. Off cordinator at Tulsa, or UA? He knew he was a hot commodity after that last year, and needed to strike while the iron was hot.

Because he was either going to take the head coaching job at Rice or come to UA. Off cordinator at Tulsa, or UA? He knew he was a hot commodity after that last year, and needed to strike while the iron was hot.

Don't remember seeing anything about that, but I'll take your word for it.

So are you saying that Major was so bad at his job, that he wasn't worthy of Tulsa's OC position? Thus had to take what you deem a downgrade from Tulsa...and go to Alabama, because that's the only job low enough to consider him?

So are you saying that Major was so bad at his job, that he wasn't worthy of Tulsa's OC position? Thus had to take what you deem a downgrade from Tulsa...and go to Alabama, because that's the only job low enough to consider him?

no..i think you said it just then

No, but I knew Graham didn't take him to Tulsa with him and I didn't have a clue he was even mentioned for the Rice HC job. Major has never been the guy and for all the Bama fans to call this guy a genius is laughable. I mean Sabahr did go after Brian Brohm :roflol: before he hired Applewhite. What's that saying?

Hey guys,. Applewhite was coaching "lights out," just like Shula was recruiting "lights out" last year. ;)

Guest Tigrinum Major

He didn't go to Tulsa because Gus Malzahn was tapped for that post. You know, that high school coach from Arkansas.

He didn't go to Tulsa because Gus Malzahn was tapped for that post. You know, that high school coach from Arkansas.

You just said a mouthful.

I guess getting to be the OC for 1 game last year is more impressive than Applewhite's resume.

Graham and Applewhite never got along. Graham is also one of those that hates when others get credit.

Mostly everyone credited Rice and their new offense for their success and Applewhite got a lot of publicity for it.

From what I have heard, Graham was never going to take MA anyway even if Applewhite hadn't gotten the UA gig.

I have enough confidence that Major Applewhite will be as good of an offensive coordinator as he was a QB for the University of Texas.

Regards,

Chris Simms

its not like CAB was some lights out OC before he came to AU. he had some bright spots, but you have to admit he didn't consistantly produce great offenses and had bounced from job to job often. i think that's why there was a nuclear meltdown here when he was hired. but, look at what he's done since he's been at AU. you guys hit the jackpot and the lottery at the same time hiring him. i'll reserve my opinion on CMA until i see a few games. i'm not saying he's going to be great or horrible, i'm saying nobody really knows.

its not like CAB was some lights out OC before he came to AU. he had some bright spots, but you have to admit he didn't consistantly produce great offenses and had bounced from job to job often. i think that's why there was a nuclear meltdown here when he was hired. but, look at what he's done since he's been at AU. you guys hit the jackpot and the lottery at the same time hiring him. i'll reserve my opinion on CMA until i see a few games. i'm not saying he's going to be great or horrible, i'm saying nobody really knows.

Well, let's see, he lead UCLA to a certain win over Texas the year before Applewhite got there. UCLA 66 Texas 3

Borges' Career shows that he was an excellent OC before taking the Cal job.

UCLA

Borges was the offensive coordinator for five years (1996-2000) at UCLA under head coach Bob Toledo. Over that five-year period, UCLA averaged 31.9 points a game as well as reaching season averages over 40 points per game in 1997 (40.7 ppg) and 1998 (40.5 ppg).[5] He is also credited with developing Cade McNown from an average quarterback into a first-team AP All-American and first round NFL Draft pick and personally considers McNown his biggest turnaround.[6]

California and Indiana

In January 2001, Borges left UCLA for a $50,000 raise and two-year contract for the same position at California.[5] After a losing season in which the entire California staff was replaced, Borges accepted the offensive coordinator position at Indiana where he coached for two seasons until Auburn head coach Tommy Tuberville called in early 2004.

Auburn

Borges joined the Auburn staff in 2004. Auburn is 33-5 in the three seasons Borges has been the offensive coordinator. Auburn is the only Southeastern Conference (SEC) team to finish ranked in the top 15 each of those seasons.[2] Borges is credited with much of the success of the 2004 Auburn Tigers football team which recorded a perfect 13-0 season, but was snubbed by the Bowl Championship Series for a berth in the BCS Championship game.

yeah, we need to fire him today..... :rolleyes::no:

Well, let's see, he lead UCLA to a certain win over Texas the year before Applewhite got there. UCLA 66 Texas 3

Borges' Career shows that he was an excellent OC before taking the Cal job.

UCLA

Borges was the offensive coordinator for five years (1996-2000) at UCLA under head coach Bob Toledo. Over that five-year period, UCLA averaged 31.9 points a game as well as reaching season averages over 40 points per game in 1997 (40.7 ppg) and 1998 (40.5 ppg).[5] He is also credited with developing Cade McNown from an average quarterback into a first-team AP All-American and first round NFL Draft pick and personally considers McNown his biggest turnaround.[6]

California and Indiana

In January 2001, Borges left UCLA for a $50,000 raise and two-year contract for the same position at California.[5] After a losing season in which the entire California staff was replaced, Borges accepted the offensive coordinator position at Indiana where he coached for two seasons until Auburn head coach Tommy Tuberville called in early 2004.

Auburn

Borges joined the Auburn staff in 2004. Auburn is 33-5 in the three seasons Borges has been the offensive coordinator. Auburn is the only Southeastern Conference (SEC) team to finish ranked in the top 15 each of those seasons.[2] Borges is credited with much of the success of the 2004 Auburn Tigers football team which recorded a perfect 13-0 season, but was snubbed by the Bowl Championship Series for a berth in the BCS Championship game.

yeah, we need to fire him today..... :rolleyes::no:

at UCLA, he had a 5-6 season, a 4-7 season, and a 6-6 season, but did lead them to their conference championship game twice.

at Cal, he had a 1-10 season the one year he was there.

at Indiana, he had a 3-9 season and a 2-10 season.

so, he had 2 good seasons before he came to AU. but that's my whole point. i wasn't saying you guys should fire him now, that he is horrible. but thanks for putting words in my mouth anyways. you guys had a comeapart here whenever he was hired, but look what he has done for AU. i'm not going to have a comeapart over CMA being hired until i see what he can do on the field.

at UCLA, he had a 5-6 season, a 4-7 season, and a 6-6 season, but did lead them to their conference championship game twice.

at Cal, he had a 1-10 season the one year he was there.

at Indiana, he had a 3-9 season and a 2-10 season.

Check out the offensive numbers and compare them with the points the defense gave up. It would appear that those records you point out (as being his, incorrectly) were more a product of a lack of defense. It's hard to outscore your opponent when your stoppers are giving up 30-50 per game.

Archived