Kodi Burns wows Tuberville

TitanTiger

Burns wows Tuberville

Posted by Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times August 02, 2007 1:00 PM

Freshman quarterback Kodi Burns signed last February amid considerable fanfare. He arrived on campus in June carrying the burden of high expectations.

In his first Auburn practice Thursday morning, Burns showed the skills that made him a hot recruiting commodity. He has a powerful right arm and a quick mind. He is fast and elusive.

"You can always tell about a quarterback," Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said. "He's what we thought. He can throw it and he can pull it down and run it. He's exactly what we are looking for. He has a lot to learn, but he looked good."

Very cool! B)

I wonder why Houston Nutt didn't want him?

Three theories:

1. Nutt is a moron
  2. Nutt can't recuit
  3. Nutt was too busy texting female reporters.

more notes from PM's blog.

AL.COM

Practice notes - Day 1

Posted by Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times August 02, 2007 12:37 PM

It was a little after 10 on a warm morning when some 45 Auburn players went to practice for the first time on the campus intramural fields. Most were freshmen, but not all. Tailback Brad Lester was there. So was tight end Tommy Trott, linebacker Merrill Johnson,quarterback Steven Ensminger and some other veterans.

Freshman wide receiver Quindarius Carr of Huntsville watched from the sideline. He was to practice for the first time Thursday afternoon. Linebacker Bo Harris also was to practice Thursday afternoon for the first time.

The workout lasted almost two hours, a pretty good test for a bunch of newcomers who were practicing for their senior seasons in high school a year ago.

Sights and sounds from the first morning of Tommy Tuberville's ninth preseason as Auburn's coach:

Coach Greg Knox shouts to his receivers: "Don't change your pad level!!"

Offensive line coach Hugh Nall to some of his highly regarded freshmen: You are stepping and stopping and reading. You can't read and then run. You have to run while you read."

Trott on the freshman offensive tackles: "Well, they are kind of lost out there right now."

Tuberville on freshman offensive tackle Lee Ziemba: "Want to know what you want a freshman offensive lineman to look like? That's it right there."

More to come after the afternoon practice. ...

Post a comment | View comments (0)

| Permalink (Learn More)

Share: Reddit | Digg | del.icio.us | Google | Yahoo | What is this?

Slusher makes a move

Posted by Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times August 02, 2007 12:27 PM

Freshman Brent Slusher from Pikeville, Ky., became a defensive end as Auburn opened preseason practice Wednesday.

Slusher graduated from high school early and spent his first spring practice playing tight end. But Wednesday he was playing weakside defensive end, the same position played by preseason All-American Quentin Groves.

"We need more defensive ends," Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said. "He played defense in high school. He was more of a defensive player in the spring becasue he wanted to give that a shot.

"He might move back. It's always an experiment when you move a guy from one position to another, but I like what I saw today. He can run and he can jump."

Post a comment | View comments (0)

Good. Maybe this year we will have a backup that CTT and Borges feels confident about in case Cox happens to get hurt.

Three theories:

1. Nutt is a moron
  2. Nutt can't recuit

I thought Nutt did want him, he just couldn't convince him that he could develop a QB worth a damn.

Three theories:

1. Nutt is a moron
  2. Nutt can't recuit

Nutt is to Arkansas

as

Tater Tot is to Auburn

Three theories:

1. Nutt is a moron
  2. Nutt can't recuit

I thought Nutt did want him, he just couldn't convince him that he could develop a QB worth a damn.

During recruiting period......

1000+ text messages to lady new ancor

0 to Kody Burns.

You tell me.

Three theories:

1. Nutt is a moron
  2. Nutt can't recuit

Nutt is to Arkansas

as

Tater Tot is to Auburn

In a sense..Tater Tot had one of the best qbs in Auburn history with no run game. Nutt has no qb.

In a sense..Tater Tot had one of the best qbs in Auburn history with no run game. Nutt has no qb.

Dameyune Craig is the ONLY reason Tot lasted as long as he did IMO.

Dameyune Craig is the ONLY reason Tot lasted as long as he did IMO.

And DMc is the only reason Nutt is still around.

Three theories:

1. Nutt is a moron
  2. Nutt can't recuit

Nutt is to Arkansas

as

Tater Tot is to Auburn

Nutt has Dick and Johnson. What more could he want?

Three theories:

1. Nutt is a moron
  2. Nutt can't recuit

Nutt is to Arkansas

as

Tater Tot is to Auburn

2 Dicks. Casey and Nathan.

There is also a player on the team named Sean Penix. Fo' real.

Three theories:

1. Nutt is a moron
  2. Nutt can't recuit

Nutt is to Arkansas

as

Tater Tot is to Auburn

A quarterback.

Three theories:

1. Nutt is a moron
  2. Nutt can't recuit

0 to Kody Burns.

You tell me.

he had already let Nutt and Stoops know that it was AU all the way.

Three theories:

1. Nutt is a moron
  2. Nutt can't recuit

0 to Kody Burns.

You tell me.

he had already let Nutt and Stoops know that it was AU all the way.

That might be true, but more likely is the theory that Nutt was more interested in getting some.

Careful. This is a PG-13 board. --TitanTiger

Say what you want about Nutt, but his guys keep whippin our guys butts all over the field. I hope we have seen the last of that!

Say what you want about Nutt, but his guys keep whippin our guys butts all over the field. I hope we have seen the last of that!

If I recall it's about a split between Arky and Auburn? Usually whippin someone all over the field means it is done more than that.

I think Arkansas has been a major thorn in our side, considering they are usually a middle of the pack team. They haven't whipped us regularly, but they have held their own (as saniflush said series is about even lately) in a time when the rest of our record would dictate that we should have had control of the series.

I am very high on Kodi Burns and firmly believe he is the next big thing for Auburn. But today was just the first day. Kodi still has to learn the offense and take a snap. But it's great to hear good news already.

Actually it was only last year while playing the :usc: , Nutt inserted Dick in place of Johnson.

....just sayin.

All while having textual relations with Ms. Bragg. Who knew he was so talented?

If I recall it's about a split between Arky and Auburn? Usually whippin someone all over the field means it is done more than that.

They have beaten the snot out of us on several occassions when I felt like we had the better team. Last year was a prime example. Several years ago they had about 400 yards rushing on us on our home field and that long-legged QB they had made our guys look like they were in slow motion trying to catch him. We always seem to overlook them. Don't get me wrong. I don't like Nutt. He looks like a fool on the sideline with his cheerleading. But he sure seems to have our number.

Sorry but a split don't get it with Arky. They've been WHIPPIN' us...no doubt about it. Anyone who was there last season in JH has to know it. Out-coached + out-played=whipped a**.

well of all current sec coaches tubby has a winning record against all of them except nutt (4-4), richt (3-3), spurrier (3-3), and miles (1-1). looking at those four, the lsu games were both classics. the georgia games we won on a goal line stand in 01, lost on a 4th down in 02, got blown out in 03, gave a beating in 04, won on a 4th down in 05, and got pounded last year. so that's pretty level.

spurrier owned us the first three times he played tubby (two beatings in 2000), but hasn't beaten us since (including the big upset in 01). so i'd give tubby the leg up in that race. BUT nutt has been a different story. they beat us by 24 in 1999; we clipped them by two in 2000. we took two more beatings (25 and 21) in 01 and 02, won a tight game by 7 in 2003, and gave pretty good shots in 04 and 05 (18 and 17). last year, we took home another of those woodshed games they like to throw our way losing by 17. so if you're scoring at home, nutt has beaten us 4 times with an average margin of nearly 22... ouch. our margin is a healthy 11, but you'd have to give nutt the edge in that matchup.

really nutt's the only coach that i think has a clear edge on tubby head to head, with richt and miles drawing even. saban has a losing record despite having a headstart in the talent department at lsu. spurrier's edge wilted early. fulmer got his one win in tubby's first year. meyer couldn't beat us with a national championship team. so yeah, nutt and his boys worry me.

but i like what i'm hearing about the two arkansas studs thus far. i'm openly pulling for kodi because i don't trust blake or steven, and i'm scared of caudle's knees. ziemba isn't gonna start this year unless he's really special, but if he's up to it, i'd love to see him getting some pt.

Archived