Why Saban, if you are a recruit?

TexasTiger

Saban recruited great classes at LSU-- mostly, but not exclusively, from in-state to THE state school. That advantage aside, what makes him effective as a recruiter? Of course, now he has a ring, so that helps. He coached, albeit badly, in the NFL. But what makes a player want to play for the guy? His warmth? His concern for players? His sparkling personality and quick wit?

Well I have to give him one thing, he can offer real playing time right now that a lot of SEC coaches cannot counter with.

I don't think anyone on here cares.

You're right. Obviously no one here ever thinks about Alabama or Saban or how he handles the media, or if he talks to people around the office, or if he lies, or if he breaks rules, etc. :rolleyes:

1) Money

2) More money (I have $3.5M to share)

3) I have NFL contacts

4) Playing Time

5) I'm a champion

6) Did I mention I have money to offer?

Well I have to give him one thing, he can offer real playing time right now that a lot of SEC coaches cannot counter with.

Well I'm not sure that Saban not having a depth chart constitutes offering playing time????

They're going to Saban right now for the same reason kids wore Z-Cavaricci's and Skidz back in the early 90's. He's a fad at the moment. An interesting and fun pick right now, but void of substance or any record to base it on.

It's usually not the flashy fads that lasts over time, it's the Dockers, Levi's and Wranglers that get the jobs done in the long term.

So there... I just compared Saban to pleated, tapered and tight-rolled, or plaid flannel clothing. :blink: Deal with it.

:roflol:

This is all 100% accurate info. I would know...

Recruits love his style of recruiting. He simply says, "We want you and here's how you fit into our scheme." There's no beating around the bush -- he's very straightforward and to the point. He's a TOTALLY different person than when he's behind the lectern with the cameras in his face.

He also puts a high emphasis on camping at UA. He's not like other coaches, who simply make an appearance to smile at the last 5 minutes of the camp, in that he's on the field and over every drill. When you camp at Alabama, you might as well be participating in a real practice. Later, he takes the more talented attendees into his office, with Mrs. Saban, and has a 1-on-1 discussion about playing at Alabama with their families.

Outside of his individual recruiting style, he's got three rings to flash. What recruit wouldn't be attracted to a national championship caliber coach? Even if he was anti-Alabama, having a coach that has won the big one is definitely a draw, which explains why we're now receiving strong consideration (as well as commitments) from prospects that didn't have Alabama on their radar this past December. His rings and the "rockstar" status that goes along with it can't be hurting him.

Lastly, the facility upgrades are unbelievable and it will only improve the the south endzone BDS expansion to be revealed in the near future. I've read on recruiting sites where prospects have spoke on the difference in Alabama's facilities and other schools'. Shula, with his milquetoast personality and lack of achievements, never really capitalized on what surrounded him... and, he paid the price.

Chopper, you may not like the guy, but there's no way you can say he's a "fad" or "void of substance." The guy won 2 SEC titles in 3 years with a program that's been a whipping boy it's entire history, and that's not even touching on the fact that he's held up a crystal ball. He's had success everywhere he's been, with the exception of the pro game and that puts him in the same boat with Steve "I'm a fad and void of substance" Spurrier, eh?

I'm not going to debate this any further. Nobody's mind is going to be changed. We'll have to agree to disagree.

TT, most everyone here thinks TOO much about Bama, Saban, Bear, etc. I like CTT's philosophy, we only worry about Auburn. B)

I am a bigger believer of keeping friends close and enemies closer. Anyone who thinks CTT doesn't think about the turds is fooling themselves IMO. Five straight beatdowns come only from preparation which involves thought.

Yeah because that's the only reason he's ever been able to get class after class of good recruits.

It's not always just the head coach either. Kevin Steele is an excellent recruiter. Applewhite is young and guys want to play for him. When CWM was with Saban at LSU, he was a good recruiter as well.

Recruits love his style of recruiting. He simply says, "We want you and here's how you fit into our scheme." There's no beating around the bush -- he's very straightforward and to the point. He's a TOTALLY different person than when he's behind the lectern with the cameras in his face.

He also puts a high emphasis on camping at UA. He's not like other coaches, who simply make an appearance to smile at the last 5 minutes of the camp, in that he's on the field and over every drill. When you camp at Alabama, you might as well be participating in a real practice. Later, he takes the more talented attendees into his office, with Mrs. Saban, and has a 1-on-1 discussion about playing at Alabama with their families.

Outside of his individual recruiting style, he's got three rings to flash. What recruit wouldn't be attracted to a national championship caliber coach? Even if he was anti-Alabama, having a coach that has won the big one is definitely a draw, which explains why we're now receiving strong consideration (as well as commitments) from prospects that didn't have Alabama on their radar this past December. His rings and the "rockstar" status that goes along with it can't be hurting him.

Lastly, the facility upgrades are unbelievable and it will only improve the the south endzone BDS expansion to be revealed in the near future. I've read on recruiting sites where prospects have spoke on the difference in Alabama's facilities and other schools'. Shula, with his milquetoast personality and lack of achievements, never really capitalized on what surrounded him... and, he paid the price.

Chopper, you may not like the guy, but there's no way you can say he's a "fad" or "void of substance." The guy won 2 SEC titles in 3 years with a program that's been a whipping boy it's entire history, and that's not even touching on the fact that he's held up a crystal ball. He's had success everywhere he's been, with the exception of the pro game and that puts him in the same boat with Steve "I'm a fad and void of substance" Spurrier, eh?

I'm not going to debate this any further. Nobody's mind is going to be changed. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Have you recently been recruited?

Have you recently been recruited?

Yes.

I'm Foley High School's best receiver. I'm the one who runs really fast, jumps really high, and catches really good. Oh yeah, and I spit mad game.

The guy won 2 SEC titles in 3 years with a program that's been a whipping boy it's entire history, and that's not even touching on the fact that he's held up a crystal ball.

:roflol: Oh you bammers and your revisionist history!

Yes.

I'm Foley High School's best receiver. I'm the one who runs really fast, jumps really high, and catches really good. Oh yeah, and I spit mad game.

Now, now.. I heard you were the pitcher, not the catcher.

Guest BoStillKnows

And he's also a lying piece of wincrimson.

Yeah because that's the only reason he's ever been able to get class after class of good recruits.

It's not always just the head coach either. Kevin Steele is an excellent recruiter. Applewhite is young and guys want to play for him. When CWM was with Saban at LSU, he was a good recruiter as well.

Why the hell would anyone want to play for snapplewhite? What has he done in his career? If he had not been the quarterback for Texas that OU beat down every year, no one would know who he was.

Why the hell would anyone want to play for snapplewhite? What has he done in his career? If he had not been the quarterback for Texas that OU beat down every year, no one would know who he was.

He was a helluva a QB, actually. Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year, strong stats:

The longest pass play (97 yards)

Career passing yards (8,353)

Passing yards in a season (3,357)

Completions in a season and career (271 and 611 respectively)

Consecutive passes without an interception (156)

Consecutive games with a touchdown (19)

Touchdown passes in a career (60)

Young man, you do realize that you just described half or more of the head coaches in the nation? As far as the facilities, that changes constantly. Tomorow you could be back in the middle of the crowd again.

Archived