Move along.

WAR-MATT

<_<Link

Unwanted attention

Saturday, August 25, 2007

THE ISSUE: The last thing the University of Alabama football team needs right now is NCAA scrutiny, but thanks to the mess at Hoover High School, it may get some.

NCAA sanctions imposed on the University of Alabama football program in 2002 have weighed on the team since then like gang tacklers piled on top of a running back.

The program lost 21 scholarships over three years; it lost potential revenue from bowl games for two years; it lost possible recruits, not to mention its stature as a pre-eminent football program, with five years of probation.

With UA football no longer on probation, with Nick Saban as the new coach who has excited the fan base as never before, with great expectations over the soon-to-start season, the last thing the program needed was to attract NCAA attention.

Thanks to the ongoing mess at Hoover High School, UA football may well get the last thing it needs.

Hoover High counselors this spring sent a second, different transcript for football player Josh Chapman to the University of Alabama after the university's compliance office called to say the player was unexpectedly ineligible. The second transcript contained a grade change that made Chapman eligible, and was "an honest mistake," according to Richard Bishop, who has sued the school system after his dismissal as principal.

Retired federal judge Sam Pointer Jr., hired by the school system, is investigating the situation involving Chapman's grade change, as well as other allegations involving academics at Hoover High. Pointer is also looking into allegations of whether a teacher was pressured to give a certain grade to football player Kerry Murphy, another highly rated Alabama signee who failed to qualify academically this year and is attending prep school.

The story, by News staff writers Jon Solomon and Erin Stock, ran Wednesday. Anyone want to bet on how many times the NCAA already has been notified and asked to look into the situation? The good news for Alabama is that the second transcript already had been sent to the NCAA Clearinghouse for review of eligibility.

It could well be the grade change was "an honest mistake," or it could be something much worse. From the looks of things as they've been reported so far, the UA football program likely has nothing to worry about from any formal or informal NCAA inquiry.

That doesn't mean UA football hasn't been touched by the spreading taint from Hoover's football scandal. It may not be guilt by association, but it sure is unwanted attention by association.

And it may result in NCAA attention. NCAA spokeswoman Jennifer Kearns declined to discuss Chapman's case. Speaking generally, she said the NCAA would look at academic credentials after an athlete is certified, which is the case with Chapman, if "questions or irregularities" arose.

"If there is evidence of academic fraud, an investigation would likely be triggered," Kearns said.

Just one more reason why Pointer's investigation must be thorough, and why the Hoover school board must give a full, public accounting of his findings.

Innocent or not, how long can uat's image continue to take media hits -- not just Hoover, but "depth charts", "Tales of the Strip", "Saban vs. golf appearances", "$4 Million Dollar Man", "Coonasses", etc. Even if Bama's version on every single one of these is correct and favorable, aren't they being slowly pecked apart just from innuendo? Rightly or wrongly, the program has to be suffering because of the media spotlight.

Really, really great teams might be able to focus all this negative energy into unity, determination, and triumph (for example, the 2004 Tigers after a disappointing 2003 and Jetgate). Lesser teams let it affect morale, concentration, and confidence (Alabama in Dubose's last year and quite possibly Arkansas this year!). So the question is: Does anyone actually believe this year's Tide falls into the "really, really great" catagory? :blink:

I love it. On the same day you have this article coming out, you have an article where CTT tells the team "If I see your name in the papers, you will not play next week. PERIOD." Way to be the class of the SEC CTT and Auburn!!!!

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Innocent or not, how long can uat's image continue to take media hits -- not just Hoover, but "depth charts", "Tales of the Strip", "Saban vs. golf appearances", "$4 Million Dollar Man", "Coonasses", etc. Even if Bama's version on every single one of these is correct and favorable, aren't they being slowly pecked apart just from innuendo? Rightly or wrongly, the program has to be suffering because of the media spotlight.

With all due respect, the media is pumping twice as much positive light on Bama as it is negative. I'm not talking about state media either. Just check MSN, ESPN, SportsIllustrated for a few. I can post some links, but I'm sure you guys don't want to see the Bama Bobo-honking media outlets.

Until someone is able to directly tie the University of Alabama to Josh Chapman's grade being changed, this has nothing to do with Bama. Even if the culprit did it to help Chapman to get into Bama, they covered their tracks by ALSO changing 35 other students grades. If Kerry Murphy's grade had been changed to make him eligible, I'd be worried. As it stands, I am not.

Hmmmm "nothing to worry about"?

Have you seen the vanity tag on the SUV of this Hoover uat BOOSTER? (Logan Young was a Booster too...remember THAT name?)

Just saying...Have a good evening......

With all due respect, the media is pumping twice as much positive light on Bama as it is negative. I'm not talking about state media either. Just check MSN, ESPN, SportsIllustrated for a few. I can post some links, but I'm sure you guys don't want to see the Bama Bobo-honking media outlets.

Until someone is able to directly tie the University of Alabama to Josh Chapman's grade being changed, this has nothing to do with Bama. Even if the culprit did it to help Chapman to get into Bama, they covered their tracks by ALSO changing 35 other students grades. If Kerry Murphy's grade had been changed to make him eligible, I'd be worried. As it stands, I am not.

Argo, the only positive light that they are shining on bama is, "Saban is a MNC head coach, and he's going to instill discipline, winning attitude, and he's a great recruiter." So much for Positive Light on the Team. And we all know about the SI article, written by a bama professor.

I'll let you wrap your mind around this... to enter Junior College, you have to be some what eligible.

Have you seen the vanity tag on the SUV of this Hoover uat BOOSTER? (Logan Young was a Booster too...remember THAT name?)

Nah, I don't live in Hoover and I certainly don't believe ANY picture that is posted on the net. BUT, if a University of Alabama booster is behind the grade change for Josh Chapman, one of you guys should email the information you have to the NCAA compliance committee.

You guys do have information that the owner of the SUV at Hoover IS a booster for Alabama, right? What about solid evidence linking that owner directly to the grade change? If so, your information is worth a ton of cash, so you might want to consider getting your information together and contacting the local media. They'll pay good cash to be the first source linking UA to the Hoover Scandal. Just saying.....

Also, I am having a great evening. I hope you have the same. :ua:

No way man...this is where you are DEAD wrong. It is not the bobo honking of "Bama"...it is the constant carpet burns on the knees in front of Saban...and Saban alone. Say what you will about Saban being the coach, but the focus is not on the Alabama football team. Like it or not, it seems the negative news is on the Alabama program and any bobo honking goes straight for the head coach; maybe if hew starts winning and stays for a little it will become Saban and the Alabama program...but make no mistake...it is about Saban, the coach, right now.

No way man...this is where you are DEAD wrong. It is not the bobo honking of "Bama"...it is the constant carpet burns on the knees in front of Saban...and Saban alone. Say what you will about Saban being the coach, but the focus is not on the Alabama football team. Like it or not, it seems the negative news is on the Alabama program and any bobo honking goes straight for the head coach; maybe if hew starts winning and stays for a little it will become Saban and the Alabama program...but make no mistake...it is about Saban, the coach, right now.

You say potato, I say whatever. Saban is the headcoach for the University of Alabama. If you can find one article praising Coach Saban that makes no mention of the Bama football team in any way, I'll eat BamaGrad's hat. ;)

Also, anyone else notice how quickly the national media has gone from "Saban the liar", to "constant carpet burns on the knees in front of Saban"??

Positive news on Saban is positive news for Bama. Dissect it how you want.

A fall from great heights causes considerable damage...and pain. The media will be there to witness that as well.

Great evening to all................

positive news on Saban is positive news for Bama. Dissect it how you want.

Well, we're positive he's a LIAR, We're positive he treats the media like crap (not to mention everyone he works with), and We're positive he doesn't discipline players. I'm sure there are more positives about saban but those are the ones that stand out.

positive news on Saban is positive news for Bama. Dissect is how you want.

Well, we're positive he's a LIAR, We're positive he treats the media like crap (not to mention everyone he works with), and We're positive he doesn't discipline players. I'm sure there are more positives about saban but those are the ones that stand out.

You are gonna' have to start posting keyboard warnings. I just wasted half a Coke on my keyboard! :lol:

Ray Perkins

Bill Curry

Gene Stallings

Mike Dubose

Dennis Franchione

Mike Price

Mike Shula

Nick Saban will be the second coming of Bear Bryant....

Gene Stallings will never get us put on probation.

We will not forfeit games.

Mike Dubose did not have sex with that woman.

That woman was a athletic department slut.

We are not going on probation.

We dont have to cheat to sign players. They would crawl naked through glass to wear that Crimson jersey.

Gene Marsh is on the infractions committee. We are not going to be hit hard. The fix is in.

We will win it all back on appeal.

We will sue and win it back.

Logan Young never bought a player for bama. You cant prove that. (Proved in Federal Court using extremely hard to prove RICO laws.)

Logan Young will prove his innocence.

Ronnie Cotrell will sue and win it back.

The NCAA will have to admit they never caught us cheating.

Fran was our first choice.

Fran is not leaving us for TAMU, No one leaves the UAT for TAMU.

Mike Price was never in a strip joint.

Mike Shula is a good coach.

Mike Shula is recruiting lights out.

Mike Shula handles discipline in house.

Rodriguez was our first choice.

Saban was our first choice.

Saban is not going to be the head coach at bama.

Nick Saban is a great disciplinarian.

blah blah blah...

Excuse us. We have heard it all before...

positive news on Saban is positive news for Bama. Dissect is how you want.

You are gonna' have to start posting keyboard warnings. I just wasted half a Coke on my keyboard! :lol:

That was a great post Eric!

Ray Perkins

Bill Curry

Gene Stallings

Mike Dubose

Dennis Franchione

Mike Price

Mike Shula

Nick Saban will be the second coming of Bear Bryant....

Gene Stallings will never get us put on probation.

We will not forfeit games.

Mike Dubose did not have sex with that woman.

That woman was a athletic department slut.

We are not going on probation.

We dont have to cheat to sign players. They would crawl naked through glass to wear that Crimson jersey.

Gene Marsh is on the infractions committee. We are not going to be hit hard. The fix is in.

We will win it all back on appeal.

We will sue and win it back.

Logan Young never bought a player for bama. You cant prove that. (Proved in Federal Court using extremely hard to prove RICO laws.)

Logan Young will prove his innocence.

Ronnie Cotrell will sue and win it back.

The NCAA will have to admit they never caught us cheating.

Fran was our first choice.

Fran is not leaving us for TAMU, No one leaves the UAT for TAMU.

Mike Price was never in a strip joint.

Mike Shula is a good coach.

Mike Shula is recruiting lights out.

Mike Shula handles discipline in house.

Rodriguez was our first choice.

Saban was our first choice.

Saban is not going to be the head coach at bama.

Nick Saban is a great disciplinarian.

blah blah blah...

Excuse us. We have heard it all before...

I only wish I could remember half of the times you guys have stated that "Bama is in trouble" in the last four years. It would double your list.

So, excuse me. I have seen it all here before....

Don't forget about the "Great Hoovergate Whitewash", the "Secondary Violations that occurred while on probation" and the "Brandon Gibson fiasco". You guys seem positive that Saban is a cheater, right?

Don't forget about the "Great Hoovergate Whitewash", the "Secondary Violations that occurred while on probation" and the "Brandon Gibson fiasco". You guys seem positive that Saban is a cheater, right?

hey, thanks... Missed that one. Glad you added that to the list of positives about saban.

With all that you'd have thought he'd coached under bear.

Actually, well, yes....and it isnt just the AU Family either. Go to the LSU, UGA, etc boards and hear the same stories. Saban in Georgia doing private evaluations. Luther Davis' home improvements, etc.

If you could read our premium forum you would have much clearer idea as well. I would write more right now, but I with work going like it is, I just dont have the time.

Actually, well, yes....and it isnt just the AU Family either. Go to the LSU, UGA, etc boards and here the same stories. Saban in Georgia doing private evaluations. Luther Davis' home improvements, etc.

If you could read our premium forum you would have much clearer idea as well. I would write more right now, but I with work going like it is, I just dont have the time.

I'll read about it in the NCAA report after we receive the death penalty. I should have plenty of time to kill then.

Nah, I don't live in Hoover and I certainly don't believe ANY picture that is posted on the net. BUT, if a University of Alabama booster is behind the grade change for Josh Chapman, one of you guys should email the information you have to the NCAA compliance committee.

You guys do have information that the owner of the SUV at Hoover IS a booster for Alabama, right? What about solid evidence linking that owner directly to the grade change? If so, your information is worth a ton of cash, so you might want to consider getting your information together and contacting the local media. They'll pay good cash to be the first source linking UA to the Hoover Scandal. Just saying.....

Also, I am having a great evening. I hope you have the same. :ua:

And how much $$$ do you think UAT would give someone not to make that call?

Never said Death Penalty. Wont happen.

Borie wasnt in on the grade change. She was the one pressuring an untenured English teacher to give Murphy grades to make him eligible. The teacher did not cave and was fired. Said teacher is now at Vestavia and apparently likes to talk, although in a low voice.

Please keep up.

The following article shows that LSU was put on probation for changing players grades while Saban was the head coach in Baton Rouge. I think this article proves Nick Saban is a cheater.

LSU bumped students grades before 2000 Peach Bowl

LSU has settled a lawsuit brought by former professor (some say campus whistle-blower) Caroline Owen. LSU says that it settled to put the issue to rest. Owen says that the settlement basically proves her claims that LSU changed players grades so they could play in the bowl game.

Owen and another kinesiology instructor, Tiffany Mayne, sued LSU in 2002, saying they were pressured to change football players' grades and hide academic misconduct during the 2000-01 school year to keep players eligible for the Peach Bowl....

After an investigation into the allegations of academic fraud, LSU admitted to five secondary NCAA violations, transferred the former head of the Academic Center for Student Athletes and moved control of the center from the athletic department to the provost.

Grade changing scandals seem to follow Saban wherever he coaches. The previous article I posted proves Saban was involved in a grade changing scandal while he was the head coach at LSU. Saban has only been at UAT for a couple months, and he is already involved in a grade changing scandal involving Josh Chapman and Kerry Murphy at Hoover.

Archived