Visitors this weekend

WAR-MATT

Rivals

Jeffrey Lee

AuburnSports.com Editor

AU Official Visitor List

Talk about it in The Bunker

It's not a secret Auburn puts a big emphasis on recruiting the state of Florida.

Just look at the numbers.

Auburn has 22 players on the roster including five starters from Florida. This past February, Auburn signed 10 players from Florida, the most of any state. Of the nine current commitments, the early members of the 2008 class, one-third of those are, yes, from Florida.

Tuberville and staff have been successful recruiting the Sunshine State.

And it doesn't look like the Tigers are changing course or slowing down. If anything, they're putting it into overdrive.

Auburn is set to host five official visitors this weekend for the season-opener against Kansas State, all five come from the Sunshine State.

The list includes four defensive players, three of which are top cornerback prospects, and one of the fastest wide receiver recruits in the country.

The defensive backs include Pahokee's Janoris Jenkins, Orlando-Jones' Jeremy Brown and Miami-Archbishop-Carroll's George Baker. Miami-Coral Reef linebacker Malcolm Munroe and Fort Lauderdale-Dillard receiver Harry Adams will join the trio.

Four of the five will be coming from the Miami area.

"Five official visits, a lot of them from way out of town," said Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville. "It's good to get them in early.

"We'll also have a lot of high school recruits here for unofficial visits because it is a night game. We're just about maxed out on (visitors)."

The 5-foot-10, 170-pound Jenkins is one of the more highly-recruited prospects in the country. He has scholarship offers from the majority of top schools including Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Miami, LSU and Clemson.

Rivals.com ranks him a four-star prospect, the nation's No. 7 cornerback and the No. 81 overall recruit. Jenkins will be making his second trip to the Plains in the last three months. He attended a two-day camp in June.

Jenkins is one of the top cover-corners in the country.

"At camp, they took me around town, around the campus, but I didn't get to see too much," said Jenkins. "I want to see it all this weekend. I want to see if they have a good program…if the coaches show me love, everything. I want to see how the stadium is during the game.

"I also want to see if the city is all about football, if it's a family atmosphere, and if they have a good team, a good program."

Getting recruits on campus as many times as possible is always an asset. Good thing for Auburn, Jenkins isn't the only one that will be making a return trip this weekend. Three of the others, Brown, Adams and Baker, either unofficially visited or camped on the Plains in the summer.

The 5-foot-10, 165-pound Brown, a four-star recruit, took an unofficial visit in July. He's already narrowed down his list to include Auburn, Florida, Georgia and North Carolina. Brown is ranked the No. 16 cornerback in the country and the No. 31 overall recruit in Florida.

"(Auburn has) a nice family atmosphere, the coaching staff is great, and the players are real close," said Brown. "That's what

I'm looking for. Auburn has a great program and is one of the top teams in the SEC year-in and year-out. They're high on my list, without a doubt."

Baker attended the two-day camp in June with Jenkins, but has yet to see a game inside Jordan-Hare.

"I'm excited about it," Baker said. "I'm looking forward to actually being in the game atmosphere, especially at night. I heard Auburn's home games are real big. They have a lot of fans and get really loud. I heard it will be sold out and will be a great atmosphere. I can't wait to see it."

Adams, who ran a 4.3-second 40-yard dash last summer, has had the Tigers high on his list since the beginning. But he too will be taking in his first Auburn game.

"I'm pretty sure it's going to be real intense," he said. "I'm ready to see how intense the crowd and players are in that type of atmosphere. I want to see the War Eagle come down from the sky."

Munroe is the only one of the five making his first trip to Auburn. The 6-foot-3, 195-pounder is ranked the nation's No. 25 outside linebacker prospect.

"I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like," he said. "I've only been to a game at (Miami) and Florida so getting out of state and seeing a game will be nice.

"I want to see the game day atmosphere and that stadium. It's one of the top stadiums in the country. I heard it's crazy."

He'll get to find out Saturday night, along with Baker, Adams, Munroe, Jenkins and 87,446 others.

Kickoff is set for 6:45.

I don't think the visitors were very impressed this time around. Can't blame them.

I don't think the visitors were very impressed this time around. Can't blame them.

Hard to tell until you hear their comments. One thing I'll say though, early playing time is #1 or #2 on pretty much every recruit's wish-list. Watching tonight's game live, I'd see a lot of playing opportunity as a HS kid.

I was standing right by this crew during Tiger Walk. Munroe was getting into it, waving a shaker and seemed moved by the scene. He took a number of pictures with his camera phone during it. He looked like he was having a great time. Baker also seemed to be impressed.

I was standing right by this crew during Tiger Walk. Munroe was getting into it, waving a shaker and seemed moved by the scene. He took a number of pictures with his camera phone during it. He looked like he was having a great time. Baker also seemed to be impressed.

You are right...Munroe was very impressed and had lots of good things to say about Auburn in his interview this morning. Also saying that he had never seen anything in his life like Tigerwalk.

Auman43, I don't see how you can say that based only on how the game went. Hell, if thats all recruits cared about, there is no way we would now have Lee Ziemba and Kodi Burns after the beatdown Arkansas put on us last year.

Not to mention the beatdown Georgia put on us when Kodi was here.

You are right...Munroe was very impressed and had lots of good things to say about Auburn in his interview this morning. Also saying that he had never seen anything in his life like Tigerwalk.

Auman43, I don't see how you can say that based only on how the game went. Hell, if thats all recruits cared about, there is no way we would now have Lee Ziemba and Kodi Burns after the beatdown Arkansas put on us last year.

Not to mention the beatdown Georgia put on us when Kodi was here.

I dont think hes talking about how the game went, but more how the fans reacted. It was a very poor showing Ill have to admit. I thought about that a few times during the game. But yes, weve had poor showings before (the 06 Arkansas crowd was pretty sad) and it didnt seem to affect the recruits from what I know.

Archived