stay classy notre dame

bellefay1

there was no flag on the play. Im not sure that I really disagree with the call. I also wouldnt disagree had they thrown a flag, but I think it would need to be on both players. Just because the Penn St. guy was on the bottom doesnt mean he was innocent. From the Notre Dame perspective, they dont have to stop blocking him just because he hits the ground, and they dont have to stop just because his helmet came off. There was a lot of pushing in the chest, but thats a lot of what blocking is. I didnt see any punches.

Looks like he got blocked.....WELL. There were no punches. He was being pushed back down to the ground. That's legal. Just need to stop at the whistle.

Why let a guy up? If you let him up and he sprints 40 yds in .3 seconds to make the play, you get punished for not blocking.......They were just playing it safe.....

I was talking to a friend the other night who's sons play high school ball around here. He said one of his boys got flagged on a play for blocking too far away from the ball. Apparently,(According to him) they have implemented a rule that penalizes a player for blocking someone when the ball is way down the field. I'm assuming that it's to cut out some of the cheap shots you see on punters, kickers, QBs etc. when they're not involved in a play that's now going on 30 yards down field.

Anyone involved with refereeing or high school football know anything about this? Or was my friend just trying to cover up for the blatant cheap shot his son took? :P

I agree, no flag. Its perfectly legal. Don't get pancaked and strap your helmet on right, and it won't happen.

There's a free blocking zone that is an imaginary box around the line of scrimmage, where you can block however you want. If you are outside of the free blocking zone, it has to be a legal block or you will get a flag. So, if an official thinks that you chop blocked, or blocked below the waist away from the play, you will be penalized. Hope that helps.

As for this play, I would've thrown a flag.

there was no flag on the play. Im not sure that I really disagree with the call. I also wouldnt disagree had they thrown a flag, but I think it would need to be on both players. Just because the Penn St. guy was on the bottom doesnt mean he was innocent. From the Notre Dame perspective, they dont have to stop blocking him just because he hits the ground, and they dont have to stop just because his helmet came off. There was a lot of pushing in the chest, but thats a lot of what blocking is. I didnt see any punches.

look again dude, i went over it like it was the kennedy assasination,back and to the left, back and to the left, the ref searches for his whistle then reaches to his waist and pulls the flag at his belt, if you blink you'll miss it.

look again dude, i went over it like it was the kennedy assasination,back and to the left, back and to the left, the ref searches for his whistle then reaches to his waist and pulls the flag at his belt, if you blink you'll miss it.

I was watching the game live. There was no flag.

Archived