The Les Miles to Michigan thing.

jaydubb121

You know Michigan is not going to want to wait another fifty days or whatever to name a coach. How long do you think the PTB will give him to decide if he is indeed their first choice as has been rumored? If he takes the job and says he wants to coach LSU through their final game, is that a distraction for them? If he does leave what is the over/under on the number of times St. Nick will deny he's a candidate before taking the job? Discuss....

If Les Miles is going to go to Michigan, Michigan will wait until January 8th. If he gets a national title at LSU, it will look great for recruiting. I think they'd be willing to wait it out. Also, if they really want Miles, then they won't ask him to leave before the national title game. If Miles left LSU before the ultimate goal of college football, how could any recruit trust him?

Also, when I was reading about it on foxsports.com, one of the comments said that if Miles wins the NC at LSU he gets $3M a year. If that's true, and we need one of the LSU fans on here to tell us if it is, UM will have to top that salary.

Also, when I was reading about it on foxsports.com, one of the comments said that if Miles wins the NC at LSU he gets $3M a year. If that's true, and we need one of the LSU fans on here to tell us if it is, UM will have to top that salary.

Wow...didn't know that. I'd say that's a pretty big obstacle in the road.

Well, it's not like Michigan doesn't have the money. Also, it seems like if you want to get one of the better coaches in the country to come to your school, you have to pay top dollar.

Wow...didn't know that. I'd say that's a pretty big obstacle in the road.

Well, it's not like Michigan doesn't have the money. Also, it seems like if you want to get one of the better coaches in the country to come to your school, you have to pay top dollar.

Well, if the $3M thing is true, Michigan would also have to fork out $1.25M for him to leave LSU.

miles ain't going. no way michigan is going through the bulk of recruiting season without a coach. they'll have their guy locked down before bowl season. looks like lloyd carr didn't want miles to have the job. why else would he announce his resignation before coaching in the bowl game while miles (who carr obviously knew was mentioned as a top candidate) is in the midst of a national title hunt. this is as loud a condemnation for hiring miles as carr can make short of "i don't like that guy." miles is staying in baton rouge.

This is his OLD contract....cant find exactly his new....

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=166368

At the January LSU Board of Supervisors meeting, new LSU head football coach Les Miles’ seven-year contract was approved. The contract is worth $1.25 million annually, plus an additional $200,000 per year in deferred compensation, pending the fulfillment of his contract.

Miles’ base salary will be $300,000 per year with an additional $600,000 serving as payment for radio, television and internet appearances. Miles will also receive an annual sum of $300,000 from the Tiger Athletic Foundation with an additional $50,000 coming from shoe and equipment contracts.

Miles can earn additional compensation for certain accomplishments achieved by the LSU football team. Miles will receive $50,000 if he leads LSU to a bowl game, or $100,000 for leading the Tigers to a Bowl Championship Series contest. He will also earn $75,000 if the Tigers play in the Southeastern Conference Championship Game and $175,000 if they play in the BCS National Title game. Under the provisions of the contract, Miles’ additional compensation for any given year may not exceed $400,000.

In addition to his on-field accomplishments, Miles will also be rewarded financially for his team’s academic achievement in terms of graduation rates.

Miles’ contract includes a $500,000 buyout clause if he were to leave LSU at any time during the term of the contract.

miles ain't going. no way michigan is going through the bulk of recruiting season without a coach. they'll have their guy locked down before bowl season. looks like lloyd carr didn't want miles to have the job. why else would he announce his resignation before coaching in the bowl game while miles (who carr obviously knew was mentioned as a top candidate) is in the midst of a national title hunt. this is as loud a condemnation for hiring miles as carr can make short of "i don't like that guy." miles is staying in baton rouge.

That was definitely a loud and clear "F%&$ You" from Carr to Miles. When Carr was named HC at Michigan Miles left from DC (I think) at Michigan to go be DC at OK St. That's a definite step back, so I'd guess the bad blood between them goes back for some time, although that's pure speculation.

I wonder if Carr's announcement is indicative of anything else. Just thinking out loud, but from what little that I know of Lloyd Carr he's supposed to be a good man, regardless of what some people may think of him as a coach. You've got to think that if Michigan is wanting to go after Miles that they would have asked Carr to hold off on making an announcement until after the MNC Game. Maybe that's not realistic with all the speculation and recruiting that'll be going on. Or maybe since Carr is "retiring" he doesn't give a damn what Michigan has to say anymore. Either way, you know Carr is aware of the Miles rumors just like anyone else with a pulse in college football. I just wonder if Michigan said, go ahead and announce, we're not actually going after Miles anyway?

Whatever happens, it should be an interesting head coaching carousel spinning around the next couple of months.

Archived