New UAT fans vs. old UAT fans

AU4Brent

Damn, I wish I could find it, but I cannot. It was a link to an a talk with TaterTot about what was happening at AU when he came it. Money give to players and the whatnot. You guys have no right to point fingers. One word - SOCIOLOGY!

But I guess that won't sink in since we cheated more often than you. I see how it does no good to bring all that up as an attack on me. Have you seen me on the street with a 'Got 12' shirt? Nope. The past isn't going to change.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, I wish I could find it, but I cannot. It was a link to an a talk with TaterTot about what was happening at AU when he came it. Money give to players and the whatnot. You guys have no right to point fingers. One word - SOCIOLOGY!

But I guess that won't sink in since we cheated more often than you. I see how it does no good to bring all that up as an attack on me. Have you seen me on the street with a 'Got 12' shirt? Nope. The past isn't going to change.

What does Sociology have to do with anything? If you're going to bring up paper thin controversies, do we get to bring up the ones that Bama is involved in? Because for every one that Auburn has, Bama's got about 10.

As for TaterTot's interview, we don't regard our 1990s football teams as the greatest of all time. I personally recognize that we cheated and am glad that we don't have anything to show for it. We've rejuvenated our program with Tuberville, and we do it the right way. Bama, on the other hand, takes all the credit in the world for a dynasty that has admitted to bending the rules. THEN, instead of changing your tactics so that you have at least an ounce of morality left, you keep going on with the same sleazeball mentality. It's been more than a decade since Auburn has had any serious trouble with the football team. Last I heard, probation is still killing you guys, right?

But I guess that won't sink in since we cheated more often than you.

Bingo.

You finally got it. To get yourself further educated on how long bama has been cheating you should now read the articles in the 1942 Colliers Magazine written by one of your alumni who was involved, namely William Bradford Huie of Hartselle, AL who also won a Pulitzer Prize. It is located somewhere in the WEN archives or you can do a little Google research and find it.

Facts are painful aren't they.

Facts are rarely painful. We cheated. Big deal. Everyone one cheats, except Tubberville. He doesn't. I know that for a fact. He told all of you so. I'm glad he has all of you looking in on the program 100% of the time.

There are degrees of cheating. There may be things going on under Tubs nose that he hasn't heard of yet, may not though. But to assume to know all of what's going on is nuts.

What does Sociology have to do with anything? If you're going to bring up paper thin controversies, do we get to bring up the ones that Bama is involved in? Because for every one that Auburn has, Bama's got about 10.

As for TaterTot's interview, we don't regard our 1990s football teams as the greatest of all time. I personally recognize that we cheated and am glad that we don't have anything to show for it. We've rejuvenated our program with Tuberville, and we do it the right way. Bama, on the other hand, takes all the credit in the world for a dynasty that has admitted to bending the rules. THEN, instead of changing your tactics so that you have at least an ounce of morality left, you keep going on with the same sleazeball mentality. It's been more than a decade since Auburn has had any serious trouble with the football team. Last I heard, probation is still killing you guys, right?

Ok, I see. If we didn't claim them as the greatest of all time then we could just forget it happened like you? Cool. Let's see how that works. Mmmmm! You're right! Bless you sir for I now have totally ignored and forgotten about this recent problem we've had with cheating... Oops, sorry. I meant with getting caught since cheating never stops here at UA!

Guess all that Saban talk about giving our program a shot in the arm is only reserved for our southern brothers. Glad that was cleared up. Thanks, and Roll Tide.

Facts are rarely painful. We cheated. Big deal. Everyone one cheats, except Tubberville. He doesn't. I know that for a fact. He told all of you so. I'm glad he has all of you looking in on the program 100% of the time.

There are degrees of cheating. There may be things going on under Tubs nose that he hasn't heard of yet, may not though. But to assume to know all of what's going on is nuts.

Ok, I see. If we didn't claim them as the greatest of all time then we could just forget it happened like you? Cool. Let's see how that works. Mmmmm! You're right! Bless you sir for I now have totally ignored and forgotten about this recent problem we've had with cheating... Oops, sorry. I meant with getting caught since cheating never stops here at UA!

Guess all that Saban talk about giving our program a shot in the arm is only reserved for our southern brothers. Glad that was cleared up. Thanks, and Roll Tide.

"I personally recognize that we cheated and am glad that we don't have anything to show for it."

Did you miss this part? I haven't forgotten anything about how Auburn has had issues in the past with obeying the rules. It's part of our history - it sucks, but I'm not going to sugarcoat it. You delusional Bammers on the other hand proclaim from the hilltops that you've got numerous national championships, SEC titles, and the greatest coach of all time. The fact is that you BENT THE RULES. You're accusing us of forgetting about cheating? Or me? Grab a mirror. Get some Windex if it's blurry.

I never claimed to be superior . All you guys do is B*$^# and moan about Alabama. There is no end to it. Waaaaaaaaah, Alabama cheats. Waaaaaaaah, we got 6. Waaaaaaaah, Bear Bryant is dead, get used to it. Waaaaaaaah, recruiting ranks don't matter. Waaaaaaah. Waaaaaaaah.

You're right, our rivalry is close. I like that to be honest. If one side won all the time, the Iron Bowl would blow.

So you're telling me that we didn't beat you 9 in a row? Or does it not count since we were cheating?

edit to remove a bad name I called you. Sorry

Uh, yeah OK dude. The only one I read here bitching & moaning is you. Quit crying about the Bear -- he's dead. He ain't coming back. Get used to it. Recruiting rankings don't matter because the head coach you got now may bolt at the first reasonable opportunity to get away from your iidiotic, delusional fan base. Get used to it. He hates having to talk to your booster clubs and doesn't want to be bothered with saying RTR. Get used to it. Your team is going to Shreveport for the 2nd straight year and ... AND ... is mighty glad for the opportunity! Get used to it.

You know what's funny? Bama fans are always trying to find the next Bear, right? They ran off the coach that was the most like him, Mike Price. You know rumors of drunken trips to Vegas. UAT administration asking Bryant to finally move his family to T-Town in the late 60's because people are starting to talk. Sounds like Mike Price to me. B)

Back to the original point of the thread -- the differences between the older & younger uat koo-ade drinkers and what motivates them: The expansion of the SEC and the addition of the conference game to crown the champion will pretty much insure that a complete domination of this conference is a pretty unlikely occurrence except for maybe 2-3 years. Spurrier's run while at UF is the last we're likely to see. There is just too much parity both in the quality of athletes available and also in the coaches that are assembled in the SEC today. Every year is going to be a struggle to stay on top for every team.

Now, let's examine a few facts that may explain why Bryant was so successful during the '70s:

(1) He was the Athletic Director at uat as well as the HC. He scheduled who he wanted & when he wanted. Scheduling an easy schedule is a sure-fire way to upping your win totals. There is a reason no one ever referred to the "Amen Corner" of uat's schedule ... because there never was one. uat's schedule in the '70s had so many cup cakes on it, it's a wonder Bryant didn't develop diabetes. Vandy, MSU, Ole Miss & UK practically every year. How many times did Bryant schedule UGA in the 70s? Three times, and one of those was a 21-0 a$$-whooping in Athens in '76. Bryant scheduled UGA only once more the rest of his lifetime. How many times did uat schedule UGA in the 80s? Twice. Everyone remembers how Herschel Walker ran all over every SEC team in the 3 years he was at UGA. Anyone remember how well uat fared against Walker? That's right -- they never played UGA when Walker was there. Scheduling conflict, no doubt.

(2) Speaking of scheduling .. let's talk about scheduling bowl games back then. In the 60s & 70s, the only sure bowl tie-in was the Rose Bowl. Every other bowl game had to offer invites to teams. Bryant was a force to deal with during the bowl invite period -- a Kingmaker, if you will. He would try to arrange the best bowl he could, not to determine a NC, but to benefit uat's chances. Think of a manager of a prize fighter looking for a favorable match-up instead of taking on the toughest opponent. Nobody made a move until The Big Dog, (Bryant,) determined where uat would play. After that, there was usually a mad scramble among the other bowls to get invites out. In the 70s when the Orange Bowl made their unilateral move to align itself with the old Big 12 winner, Bryant was so pissed off he worked out a similar deal for uat er, I mean the SEC winner to play in the Sugar Bowl.

(3) Bryant would offer scholarships to talented football players just to prevent them from signing with rival teams. As AD, he could and did hide some of the blue chip talent on scholarships to the track & baseball teams to get around the NCAA-imposed scholarship limit. That practice is now banned. But it gives you an idea of how afraid he was of other teams getting any talented players. He considered it a threat to him winning and he couldn't stand the idea of competing on a level playing field.

\

(4) Rogue Boosters. The uat labeled Logan Young as such, and would hope that everyone was naiive enough to think that he was acting alone and on his own. Of course this is hogwash. Young was one of an army of Rougue Boosters. Logan Young often bragged that he "learned from the Master (Bear Bryant)" re how to buy players to come to uat. And who are we to doubt the man's own admission? This was a way of life at uat as far back as the 1920s.

The 60s & 70s were a different time. What worked back then to keep uat on top can never be done again -- at least not legally. As good a coach/motivator that Bryant was, there is no way on God's green Earrth that he could compete in the SEC today & duplicate his past success. So, the old guard uat fans are deluding themselves (still) if they think "bammuh's back in thare rahtful place" in cfb. You just aren't going to see a lot of multi-year repeat SEC conference winners. That goes for any team today, and not just uat. The younger uat fans don't have the sense of entitlement and sheer arrogance that the older fans possess. Alas, it's going to take a long time to outlive the old guard bammie fans. I just read in the newspaper the other day that 1 of 3 WWI veterans just died at age 109. :no:

Excellent summary of the UAT era under Bryant. When the method used to determine SEC champions is added this would be archive material ... great information for the Tiger cubs on the board to be familiar with.

Archived