New UAT fans vs. old UAT fans

AU4Brent

Every one on my father's side of the family is a UAT fan. The only obnoxious ones, however, are the older ones. My uncles, who are all in their 40's, are the fans that get under our skin. They're the ones who BELIEVE that Bama is, has been, and always will be superior to every football team in America, simply because they're Bama. One of my uncles went so far as to say he actually couldn't sleep after AU won the Iron Bowl. My cousins on the other hand, who were all born in the mid to late 80's, only see Bama as another SEC school. Why do you think this is? I'm guessing that the 70's spoiled my uncles so much, they simply couldn't handle Bama being mediocre. On the other hand, my cousins and I have only known a time when AU was at least on par with, if not better than Alabama. So, this brings up an interesting question. Assuming the status quo remains the same, will all the truly obnoxious Bama fans die off in 30 years or so?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a pretty big assumption. I mean, to assume Alabama will remain a team with a losing or .500 record. History doesn't indicate that outcomes like that are par for the course.

That's a pretty big assumption. I mean, to assume Alabama will remain a team with a losing or .500 record. History doesn't indicate that outcomes like that are par for the course.

History is tainted by the lack of NCAA oversight and rampant cheating by Bama.

Like stoic-one said, we can only hope. :)

That's a very big assumption indeed. Those guys will be in their 70's. I would say it will take more like 40 to 50 years to get rid of the obnoxious ones.

I don't mean that Alabama will remain a .500 team for the next 30 years, but I don't think they will become a dominant team either. Bama football has been in turmoil since Bryant died, and I don't see any reason why that might change. When Bo went over the top in 82', it changed football in this state forever. Auburn's streak will eventually come to an end, and Bama will become a good team again, but the 1970's are over. My point was that Bama fans who are my age realize that, while the older ones are still waiting for the next Bryant.

That's a very big assumption indeed. Those guys will be in their 70's. I would say it will take more like 40 to 50 years to get rid of the obnoxious ones.

If you could see my uncle when Bama is losing, you would know his heart will give out long before he sees 80.

Ahh, the old stand-by catch all.

More like the "old reliable".

I don't mean that Alabama will remain a .500 team for the next 30 years, but I don't think they will become a dominant team either. Bama football has been in turmoil since Bryant died, and I don't see any reason why that might change. When Bo went over the top in 82', it changed football in this state forever. Auburn's streak will eventually come to an end, and Bama will become a good team again, but the 1970's are over. My point was that Bama fans who are my age realize that, while the older ones are still waiting for the next Bryant.

Exactly. They SHOULD be about equal with AU, LSU, UF, UGA, and UT in any given year... but most of the older ones can't accept that, they truly believe their rightful place is above all those other teams. And no, I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. We all know more than a handful of bama fans that are like this. They just choose not to live in reality.

If you truly believe that Alabama's winning "tradition" was not enhanced by some very underhanded activities that are currently off limits due to oversight and availability of certain information, then you're as clueless as the old timers waiting on the next bahr bryant.

what is truly sad is that most bammers don't realize that every bit of thier success from the 60's and 70's was bought and paid for. they think they will "return to greatness" because they are BAMA, but the game will never be the same as it was when the biggest bank roll could win you a mythical national championship.

when i hear bammers talk about how auburn was cheating too, its like they dont realize that everyone was cheating to a certain degree, but the degree to which they were cheating gave them a significant advantage over everone else at the time.

bryant was a very good coach, no matter the bank roll you have to be good to put yourself in a position to win it all that many times, but in today's game there will never again be a coach who has that type of success because money does'nt buy championships anymore. but don't tell bama that, they'll spend 4 mil a year to try to buy one.

what is truly sad is that most bammers don't realize that every bit of thier success from the 60's and 70's was bought and paid for. they think they will "return to greatness" because they are BAMA, but the game will never be the same as it was when the biggest bank roll could win you a mythical national championship.

Bingo.

A little birdie told me the truth.

Ahhh, The TRUTH ! ! !

If you truly believe that Alabama's winning "tradition" was not enhanced by some very underhanded activities that are currently off limits due to oversight and availability of certain information, then you're as clueless as the old timers waiting on the next bahr bryant.

What do you mean "waiting"...I know of at least 4 Daniel Moore prints post bryant that prove every coach we get is the next bryant.

What do you mean "waiting"...I know of at least 4 Daniel Moore prints post bryant that prove every coach we get is the next bryant.

Yes, but no one that owns any of those post-PBB prints also owns a houndstooth ballcap.

You guys are just mad that we cheated better than you for a long time and won with it. No matter how much you spit about us winning by cheating, the history books have already been written and we are all over it. Don't feel bad though, you guys are in it too, usually with a 'L' beside your name when near us.

I think AU4Brent is exactly right. I've watched Auburn and Bammer for over 50 years and Bo over the top, combined with Bryant's health signaled an end to the Oh- So- Dominant era! Bryant surprised everyone with the Wishbone and his teams operated it to perfection for over a decade. However everything changes. When change was needed, he was too old and his recruiting had dropped off and Dye was at Auburn. Then as other schools caught up with the wishbone, Bama became pretty ordinary complicated with the never ending search for another Bryant. (which wasn't going to happen) The older Bammers have never come to grips with that fact yet and their desperate attempt eerevive that kind of dominance showed by the obscene price they paid for Sabahr. Truth is, NOBODY, not even Auburn is going to win 10 or 11 every year since parity has come and the Bammers are going to have to learn the hard way to live with it like everyone else. They will be good again but they're going to have to settle for that. The only thing I can see possibly changing the playing field again is for the NCAA to allowDivision 1-A schools to award more scholly's again to tilt the field again. This is unlikely however. I don't see them ever dominating Auburn again like they once did......as hard as that is for them to accept!

With the exception of 1992, Bammer has been a mediocre program since 1982. But hell, even BYU and GaTech have done what Bammer did.

Archived