Bama's New DC

Proud Tiger

Whoever Saban hires will have power but it will be power coming from a limited choice.

Saban will know what is happening every play and will interject if he wants to.

So, in reality....I don't see any DC hire as a big deal since it will be Saban's Schemes, Saban's players, and Saban's over-riding call

Makes you really want that job, huh?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm not denying that he has interviewed. i'm just not going to believe its a done deal until i see a report saying "Steele hired to coach USA Jaguars". i know you guys love to try and put us in panic mode, but i'm just not worried about it. if we got a new DC it would still be Saban's defense anyways, so i don't really see where it would matter.

This begs the question........if Saban coaches offense, defense, etc., why do you even need any ass'ts or coordinators?

i didn't say CNS coaches offense, etc. i think he has a heavy involvement in the defense and i do believe the defense is mainly his. however i don't think he coaches the offense. he may dictate the general philosophy of the offense, but i don't think he actually coaches it as he does the defense.

I didn't say you said Saban coaches the offens but from what I read, Saban in essence say he does. For example, in today's Huntsville Times he says he is not interested in changing bama's offense, he just wants to tweak a few things. So why hire an OC just to tweak some things?

Does that give you any clue just how much (or little) that McElwain will be able to actually coach? Maybe as much as Applewhite?

Whoever Saban hires will have power but it will be power coming from a limited choice.

Saban will know what is happening every play and will interject if he wants to.

So, in reality....I don't see any DC hire as a big deal since it will be Saban's Schemes, Saban's players, and Saban's over-riding call

Makes you really want that job, huh?

Some people can deal with Saban, I could not (as a coach that is)

If you don't mind someone like Saban, taking the job is really not THAT bad of one. You learn a good scheme with Saban and learn to deal with someone breathing down your neck (thus pressure)....it can help a young coach

But, many young coaches these days can't deal with that type of situation and I understand why

...i'm just not going to believe its a done deal until i see a report saying "Steele hired to coach USA Jaguars".

Then don't miss the press conference the day after Signing Day! :poke:

As a newly signed recruit...this would ever more p*** me off. Being recruited by a coach who knows that he is leaving!! Don't know if it will happen but I'd make CKS and CNS look me in the eye and tell me CKS would be there through 2008.

alot of the recruits knew long before we did that CMA was leaving. they stated they were commited to a team, not one coach. now how much of that mentality other recruits have, who knows. but if it is a general mentality with the guys we are recruiting, then i don't see a problem. reading the interviews that some knew weeks in advance that CMA was leaving tells me that the staff seems to be keeping the recruits in the loop.

RWS, this is stupid. Commiting to a team, not a coach? Okay, so if Saban were to leave to coach, say, the Oakland Raiders, you believe the recruits would stick with Alabama? Where were all of these recruits who were commiting to a school last year when Shula was coaching?

Come on, guys. A Bama coach would never leave the kids "holding the rope". :rolleyes:

I didn't say you said Saban coaches the offens but from what I read, Saban in essence say he does. For example, in today's Huntsville Times he says he is not interested in changing bama's offense, he just wants to tweak a few things. So why hire an OC just to tweak some things?

Exactly. If all Saban wants to do is "tweak" a few things, then Pendry should be adequate to impliment Saban's ideas. Why get involved in a complicated, expensive, media-frenzied search in a high priced market if you can just promote within and grab an entry-level coach to handle some of Pendry's lower-level duties?

i'm not denying that he has interviewed. i'm just not going to believe its a done deal until i see a report saying "Steele hired to coach USA Jaguars". i know you guys love to try and put us in panic mode, but i'm just not worried about it. if we got a new DC it would still be Saban's defense anyways, so i don't really see where it would matter.

This begs the question........if Saban coaches offense, defense, etc., why do you even need any ass'ts or coordinators?

i didn't say CNS coaches offense, etc. i think he has a heavy involvement in the defense and i do believe the defense is mainly his. however i don't think he coaches the offense. he may dictate the general philosophy of the offense, but i don't think he actually coaches it as he does the defense.

By the way Saban was quoted with a somewhat different comment on the hiring of McElwain. he said he

"was the best candidate that we talked to, relative to the presentation he made, the personality that he had, and the enthusiam he had."

Note he didn't say anything about the creditials of his first choices and didn't even say he thought McElwain was the best in terms of offensive know-how.

you need to go actually listen to the PC that he held on the hiring.

As I left work, I was subjected to the first ten minutes of PFRN. Played a few cuts of the PC. CNS was very pissed about how the media was telling the story about McElwain being the 4th-5th-6th whatever coach talked to. You need to hear it. CNS said everything but "I wont be the HC at Alabama..."

no, he was upset about them reporting that McElwain was the 4th-5th-6th coach OFFERED. he flat out said they interviewed 5 people and that McElwain was the only one that was actually offered. he was also upset that the media reported that UA was "talking to" certain coaches because they never talked to those certain coaches.

Exactly. If all Saban wants to do is "tweak" a few things, then Pendry should be adequate to impliment Saban's ideas. Why get involved in a complicated, expensive, media-frenzied search in a high priced market if you can just promote within and grab an entry-level coach to handle some of Pendry's lower-level duties?

i honestly thought that was what the deal would be. i really thought we would just hire somebody to be a QB coach, unless Pendry just didn't want the headache of being the OC completely by himself.

no, he was upset about them reporting that McElwain was the 4th-5th-6th coach OFFERED. he flat out said they interviewed 5 people and that McElwain was the only one that was actually offered. he was also upset that the media reported that UA was "talking to" certain coaches because they never talked to those certain coaches.

We all said before the search started that the guy selected would be the only one offered. That's just bama spin as usual.

We all said before the search started that the guy selected would be the only one offered. That's just bama spin as usual.

Yeah, that doesn't take into account the guys they couldn't even get to come for an interview.

If he really is the offensive genius some have eluded to, who cares how many people you went through to get him. I mean, look at the saban worship, how many turned down the bama job before he took it? Why does it matter really?

SSDD Everytime....

By the way Saban was quoted with a somewhat different comment on the hiring of McElwain. he said he

"was the best candidate that we talked to, relative to the presentation he made, the personality that he had, and the enthusiam he had."

Note he didn't say anything about the creditials of his first choices and didn't even say he thought McElwain was the best in terms of offensive know-how.

you need to go actually listen to the PC that he held on the hiring.

As I left work, I was subjected to the first ten minutes of PFRN. Played a few cuts of the PC. CNS was very pissed about how the media was telling the story about McElwain being the 4th-5th-6th whatever coach talked to. You need to hear it. CNS said everything but "I wont be the HC at Alabama..."

Listening to his little tirade and lecture to the assembled about what the official version was going to be, I couldn't help but think he would work well with Pravda.

so, Proud Tiger, when is USA announcing Steele as the new HC? and how certain are you that it will happen? i'm still sticking with its not going to happen.

NOT GONNA HAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEN.............. <----- this is a link by the way...

so, Proud Tiger, when is USA announcing Steele as the new HC? and how certain are you that it will happen? i'm still sticking with its not going to happen.

NOT GONNA HAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEN.............. <----- this is a link by the way...

Sorry boyjeddah, I've learned to never trust "information from sources close to the situation" when it comes to Alabama. Why isn't Steele quoted on this issue? It would have seemed pretty easy for Rapoport to get Steele on the telephone.

It may be true, but most Alabama sources (whether they are reporting to Papoport or RWS :) ) have proven to be untrustworthy. I would go through the list of years of untrustworthy reporting. But, you know what I'm talking about.

Interestingly, your own fanbase knows that sources aren't trustworthy. This is the first comment from an Alabama fan to the report.

"hope so ... "

Point/Counterpoint:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh....xml&coll=2

Monday, February 04, 2008

IAN R. RAPOPORT

News staff writer

TUSCALOOSA - University of Alabama defensive coordinator Kevin Steele has decided he will stay with the Crimson Tide, multiple sources told The Birmingham News on Sunday.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/mobilere....xml&coll=3

Steele still in mix at South Alabama

Despite reports to the contrary, Alabama defensive coordinator still a candidate for USA job, according to AD Joe Gottfried

By GENTRY ESTES and KIM SHUGART

Sports Reporters

South Alabama athletics director Joe Gottfried said Sunday night that three finalists were still in contention for the school's first head coaching position.

One of those finalists is Alabama defensive coordinator Kevin Steele, who visited USA's campus Thursday to interview a second time for the job.

Gottfried told the Press-Register nothing had changed regarding Steele's candidacy, which contradicted an online report from The Birmingham News citing anonymous sources as saying Steele "has decided he will stay with the Crimson Tide."

"He has not discussed that with me," Gottfried said of Steele. "He has not told me he has withdrawn his name."

A source close to the situation said Sunday there was nothing new regarding Steele's status at Alabama.

Point/Counterpoint:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh....xml&coll=2

IAN R. RAPOPORT

News staff writer

TUSCALOOSA - University of Alabama defensive coordinator Kevin Steele has decided he will stay with the Crimson Tide, multiple sources told The Birmingham News on Sunday.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/mobilere....xml&coll=3

Steele still in mix at South Alabama

Despite reports to the contrary, Alabama defensive coordinator still a candidate for USA job, according to AD Joe Gottfried

By GENTRY ESTES and KIM SHUGART

Sports Reporters

South Alabama athletics director Joe Gottfried said Sunday night that three finalists were still in contention for the school's first head coaching position.

One of those finalists is Alabama defensive coordinator Kevin Steele, who visited USA's campus Thursday to interview a second time for the job.

Gottfried told the Press-Register nothing had changed regarding Steele's candidacy, which contradicted an online report from The Birmingham News citing anonymous sources as saying Steele "has decided he will stay with the Crimson Tide."

"He has not discussed that with me," Gottfried said of Steele. "He has not told me he has withdrawn his name."

A source close to the situation said Sunday there was nothing new regarding Steele's status at Alabama.

Sounds like the Bammerham News is doing some more 'cruitin' for UAT.

What other reason would there be for this kind of misinformation?

If you can show me where I said HE IS leaving then I'll eat crow. Do you understand the word "apparently"? If you read the articles in today's Bham News you will see that he flirted pretty strongly with leaving. He didn't say no right away to USA, Arkansas or Tenn. did he?

Sorry boyjeddah, I've learned to never trust "information from sources close to the situation" when it comes to Alabama. Why isn't Steele quoted on this issue? It would have seemed pretty easy for Rapoport to get Steele on the telephone.

It may be true, but most Alabama sources (whether they are reporting to Papoport or RWS :) ) have proven to be untrustworthy. I would go through the list of years of untrustworthy reporting. But, you know what I'm talking about.

Interestingly, your own fanbase knows that sources aren't trustworthy. This is the first comment from an Alabama fan to the report.

"hope so ... "

HOW DARE YOU CALL SCARBINSKY A LIAR...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saban has told me he doesn't want yes men on his staff, and Steele is no yes man. He's his own man, which is why it's been easy to believe that he might leave Alabama for another job.

ahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha :roflol: i guess that's why they all have muzzles placed on their mugs the day they step foot in turd town.

Saban has told me he doesn't want yes men on his staff, and Steele is no yes man. He's his own man, which is why it's been easy to believe that he might leave Alabama for another job.

ahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha :roflol: i guess that's why they all have muzzles placed on their mugs the day they step foot in turd town.

auburn puts them on after they leave

auburn puts them on after they leave

weaksauce.jpg

Archived