McCain's Iran gaffe

RunInRed

Thought this guy was supposed to be a military expert? ;)

The misstep in question occurred during a news conference in Jordan earlier Tuesday, when the presumptive Republican presidential nominee repeatedly said Iran was supplying al Qaeda. Iran is predominately a Shiite country and is not aiding the Sunni dominated Al-Qaeda.

McCain ultimately corrected himself after Sen. Joe Lieberman whispered in his ear.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

"I thought they were all Muslim"

W

It just shows their total lack of understanding of the region,their religion and the history.After the total screw up of the Peerle,Wolfiwitz,Cheney,Rumsfield,W,Rice,and that crazy woman from Harvard,someone on their side would have least tried to get it right.

You said blunder,but its not the first time he has gotten his "S" wrong

W

It just shows their total lack of understanding of the region,their religion and the history.After the total screw up of the Peerle,Wolfiwitz,Cheney,Rumsfield,W,Rice,and that crazy woman from Harvard,someone on their side would have least tried to get it right.

Hold on, Shiite's and Sunni's are both Muslim, right? I think you are thinking about thier ethnic background, with most Iranian's being Persains rather than Arabs. Did Dubya really say that or are you paraphrasing? It's funny either way, that whole area confuses a lot of people.

And to respond to the original post, I could argue that he simply got the "n" and the "q" mixed up. We all misspeak some of the time (that's spin). Or he was reading from a prepared speech and not thinking much or thinking ahead (again spin). Hardly a big deal. At least he is not trying to "open dialogue" with Iran and hand over the protection of our military workers (those Obama does not plan to pull out immediately) over to the U.N.

W

Hold on, Shiite's and Sunni's are both Muslim, right? I think you are thinking about thier ethnic background, with most Iranian's being Persains rather than Arabs. Did Dubya really say that or are you paraphrasing? It's funny either way, that whole area confuses a lot of people.

And to respond to the original post, I could argue that he simply got the "n" and the "q" mixed up. We all misspeak some of the time (that's spin). Or he was reading from a prepared speech and not thinking much or thinking ahead (again spin). Hardly a big deal. At least he is not trying to "open dialogue" with Iran and hand over the protection of our military workers (those Obama does not plan to pull out immediately) over to the U.N.

Supposidly during a briefing early on in the Iraq thing,one of the briefers referred to wither Sunni or Shia, and Bush said something to the effect of 'I thought they were all Muslim?"

Supposidly during a briefing early on in the Iraq thing,one of the briefers referred to wither Sunni or Shia, and Bush said something to the effect of 'I thought they were all Muslim?"

I'd like to see a direct citation for that quote, if you could find one. This sounds more like here say than anything else. I'm pretty sure the distinction of Sunni and Shiah was know by Bush as far back as when his dad was in the White House.

Again, both Sunnis' and Shiites' are Muslim. Seriously. Look it up. So he was correct, and the person trying to fan the flames was wrong. Hmm. Bush already bumbles speeches enough without the help from others.

I'd like to see a direct citation for that quote, if you could find one. This sounds more like here say than anything else. I'm pretty sure the distinction of Sunni and Shiah was know by Bush as far back as when his dad was in the White House.

The quote is from Peter Galbraith,Former Ambassador to Croatia,during a meeting with some Iraqi Americans and the President. "I thought Iraqis were Muslims." W

The most important thing now is McCain's comments,"Pressed to elaborate,McCain said,'it was common knowledge and had been reported in the media that al-qaeda is gong back into Iran and receiving training and are coming back into Iraq from Iran,THAT'S WELL KNOWN. And it's unfortunate."

One of the harping points on Obama by the Neo-Cons is his lack of experience.Can you imagine the s-storm by them if he would have made such a blunnder.I mean they are acting like something his Preacher said means Obama wants to kill all white people.

A pretty informative article on Sunni's and Shia can be found in the NEWSTATESMAN

www.newstatesman.com/200702120009

Archived