Where's the NYT?

bigsixfive

I guess Tuscaloosa couldn't benefit from this. If they were, it would read something like:

Cheating scandal ROCKS Michigan: Whole Program is Corrupt, Probation Coming

John Hagen was, as he has been for decades, close to some of the most recognized athletes at Michigan. University records obtained by The News show that the veteran psychology professor has taught at least 294 independent studies from the fall of 2004 to the fall of 2007, and 85 percent of those courses, 251, were with athletes.

Michigan officials said Hagen taught additional independent studies in that period, however, they refused to disclose the number of athletes who were part of that group.

During most of that period since 2004, Hagen had a .25 teaching appointment, meaning one quarter of his time was supposed to be spent in the classroom.

Independent studies traditionally are one-on-one courses arranged between a professor and a student to cover subject matter that isn't available as a university course. In some cases, they involve small groups of students.

Since August 2006, university officials have twice examined whether Hagen's courses meet Michigan's academic standards. They call his independent studies an example of a nationally respected researcher working with undergraduates.

"This is the kind of faculty experience we aspire to provide for all of our students," said Terry McDonald, dean of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts.

When The News dug further, however, speaking to athletes and former athletic department employees as part of a seven-month investigation that included interviewing 87 people and reviewing more than 3,500 pages of internal documents, a different picture emerged:

• Michigan athletes described being steered to Hagen's courses by their athletic department academic counselors and, in some cases, earning three or four credits for meeting with Hagen for as little as 15 minutes every two weeks.

• Three former athletic department employees said Hagen's independent study courses are sometimes used by academic support staff to boost the grade point averages of athletes in danger of becoming academically ineligible to compete in sports.

• Athletes have enrolled in independent studies with Hagen several weeks beyond the normal deadline to add classes, which is 21 days after a semester begins. For example, in the winter 2005 semester that began Jan. 5 and ended April 19, two football players enrolled in independent studies with Hagen on March 18.

• The amount of time some athletes said they spent on independent study work fell short of guidelines listed on the psychology department's Web site.

• The News analyzed transcripts from 29 athletes who are either currently enrolled at Michigan, or left the school within the past three years. Twenty one of the athletes took 32 graded courses from Hagen - 25 independent study courses and seven standard classes. They averaged a grade of 3.62 in the professor's courses, compared to an overall grade point average of 2.57 in the athletes' other classes. No athlete received a grade worse than a B-minus from Hagen.

• At least 48 athletes have taken two or more independent study courses with Hagen; nine of those 48 have taken three or more.

• Athletes from every varsity sport except women's water polo and cross country - including 22 members of last fall's football team and eight members of this year's hockey team - have taken independent studies with Hagen since fall of 2004.

Quarterback Chad Henne, wideout Mario Manningham, hockey player Chad Kolarik and softball ace Jennie Ritter are just a few of the Wolverines who have taken independent studies with Hagen, as have Jake Long and Shawn Crable, two of the captains on last season's football team.

When asked what they learned in Hagen's courses, some athletes described being taught how to take notes, use a day planner, make a calendar and manage their time.

In many cases, athletes said the main content of these courses was study skills and time management, although Hagen called the material "learning styles."

Its a huge article, I'm not gonna post it all here. There's a nice dig towards the bottom though.

When it was pointed out that students also had not complained in the Auburn case that sparked the investigation, McDonald nodded.

"Right, but this is not Auburn," the LS&A dean said. "This is the No. 1 psychology department in the country telling us that they have vetted this and that they are in conformance with procedures that we were asking about."

It was a dig, but they have a point.

UM is not Auburn...nor is it Alabama. UM ranks a good bit higher than any institution in this state.

The question is what the hell that added to the article? AND where was the sensationalism that we got? It is and always was a none story that was completely overblown (for example, the experience of meeting with an IS prof for 15 minutes every two weeks is completely normal at every single school in America). I just love that they threw the last little part on there to make sure folks remembered the sensational garbage they dumped out. "Hey guys! Remember when we did that investigation at Auburn! Yeah! We do too! Good times."

UM is a better school than Auburn academically, but that doesn't mean that Auburn vetting a program somehow is less honest or thorough than Michigan.

UM is a better school than Auburn academically, but that doesn't mean that Auburn vetting a program somehow is less honest or thorough than Michigan.

Agreed.

I just think its funny to be honest. I remember a Michigan blog roasting us and now they are under the same fire.

The person is right, Auburn isn't Michigan's psych program. They should check the IS program at Auburn now. From what I understand it has very strict rules and has become difficult for anyone that is an undergraduate to get into a IS.

They also are not number one, Stanford is. They should research what Auburn's IS is like and get their rankings correct before proclaiming a research major number one. Gotta admit thats pretty funny.

Hey wait a minute........ I have a degree in psychology from Auburn. We aren't number 1???? Damn it! Actually, I did several independent studies while enrolled at Auburn (within the psych dept.) I can honestly tell you that they were very useful, and I WAS NOT an athlete (well, I did play intramural football if that counts). Point is, who cares? They do exsist at EVERY campus in the country. Think of it this way, if you were an athlete and that is what took up 90% of your free time, don't you think it would be beneficiary to learn some new ways to organize your time, make a day planner, ect...???? I for one am totally on Michigans side about this. Do I think that a student should be allowed to take 5 of these classes a year? No way, but I guarantee that these athletes actually benefitted from these type of "life skill" classes.

I love speed and the SEC has great speed, especially on the defensive line, but there are appropriate balances when mixing academics and athletics. Each school, as well as each conference, simply must do what fits their mission regardless of what a recruiting service recommends. I wish we had six teams among the top 10 recruiting classes every year, but winning our way requires some discipline and restraint with the recruitment process. Not every athlete fits athletically, academically or socially at every university. Fortunately, we have been able to balance our athletic and academic mission so that we can compete successfully and keep faith with our academic standards.

Jim Delany (Big 10 Commish)

http://bigten.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spe.../020907aaa.html

I wish we had six teams among the top 10 recruiting classes every year, but winning our way requires some discipline and restraint with the recruitment process. Not every athlete fits athletically, academically or socially at every university. Fortunately, we have been able to balance our athletic and academic mission so that we can compete successfully and keep faith with our academic standards.

Jim Delany (Big 10 Commish)

http://bigten.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spe.../020907aaa.html

Aug 22, 2007 Purdue University Unethical conduct; academic fraud and the provision of false and misleading ...

Nov 02, 2006 University of Iowa This case was resolved using the summary disposition process. The violatio ...

Mar 10, 2006 Ohio State University Violations of NCAA legislation in the men's basketball program involving re ...

Oct 27, 2005 University of Illinois, Champaign Violations in the football program regarding the provision of impermissible ...

May 08, 2003 University of Michigan The violations involved the men's basketball program and centered on the pr ...

Jul 02, 2002 University of Minnesota, Twin Cities The former head women's basketball coach committed numerous recruiting viol ...

Oct 01, 2001 University of Wisconsin, Madison Impermissible recruiting inducements; impermissible extra benefits - discou ...

Oct 24, 2000 University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Academic Fraud; Unethical Conduct; Provision of Extra Benefits; Failure to ...

Sep 16, 1999 Michigan State University IMPERMISSIBLE RECRUITING: a prospective student-athlete was allowed to res ...

Jun 30, 1999 Purdue University IMPERMISSIBLE RECRUITING: impermissible loan to a prospective student-athl ...

Mar 24, 1999 University of Wisconsin, Madison Numerous athletics department staff members received athletically related s ...

Sep 16, 1996 Michigan State University UNETHICAL CONDUCT: athletics student advisor assisted student-athletes in ...

Jun 23, 1994 Ohio State University BASKETBALL -- IMPERMISSIBLE RECRUITING: improper contacts during junior ye ...

Jan 13, 1994 University of Wisconsin, Madison EXTRA BENEFITS: wrestling club and institution impermissibly paid $16,000 ...

Jul 26, 1993 Big Ten Conference IMPROPER FINANCIAL AID: financial aid calculated incorrectly in equivalenc ...

Mar 27, 1991 University of Minnesota, Twin Cities FOOTBALL -- IMPROPER FINANCIAL AID: loans without a repayment plan. EXTRA ...

Mar 25, 1991 University of Michigan EXTRA BENEFITS: $82,OOO in cash and other financial assistance provided by ...

Nov 07, 1990 University of Illinois, Champaign IMPERMISIBLE RECRUITING: improper off-campus recruiting contacts; excessiv ...

Mar 07, 1988 University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Improper entertainment, financial aid, lodging and transportation; extra be ...

Feb 11, 1988 University of Illinois, Champaign Improper recruiting contacts, entertainment, inducement and transportation; ...

Jul 29, 1986 University of Iowa Improper financial aid, lodging and transportation; improper recruiting ent ...

Jul 17, 1986 University of Wisconsin, Madison Extra benefits; eligibility; certification of compliance. ...

Jul 27, 1984 University of Illinois, Champaign Improper entertainment, financial aid, lodging and transportation; extra be ...

Nov 22, 1983 University of Wisconsin, Madison Improper recruiting employment and transportation; tryout; unethical conduc ...

Jul 29, 1982 University of Wisconsin, Madison Improper recruiting lodging and transportation. ...

Jan 05, 1982 University of Wisconsin, Madison Improper transportation; improper recruiting contacts, entertainment, induc ...

Jun 07, 1978 Ohio State University Improper transportation; improper recruiting entertainment and transportati ...

Oct 21, 1976 University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Eligibility; questionable practice. ...

Mar 09, 1976 University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Improper employment, entertainment, financial aid, lodging and transportati ...

Jan 25, 1976 Michigan State University Improper transportation; extra benefits; improper recruiting entertainment, ...

Aug 19, 1974 University of Illinois, Champaign Improper entertainment, financial aid and transportation; extra benefits; i ...

Apr 01, 1969 University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Improper recruiting transportation. ...

May 07, 1967 University of Illinois, Champaign Improper financial aid and transportation; extra benefits; improper recruit ...

Oct 25, 1966 Purdue University Improper recruiting entertainment and transportation. ...

Nov 05, 1964 Michigan State University Improper financial aid and transportation; improper recruiting inducements; ...

Jan 05, 1964 University of Iowa Improper employment; extra benefit; improper recruiting contact; tryouts. ...

Apr 27, 1960 Indiana University, Bloomington Improper recruiting inducements and lodging. ...

Oct 15, 1957 Indiana University, Bloomington Improper recruiting inducements. ...

Jan 11, 1957 Ohio State University Improper employment and financial aid; extra benefits; improper recruiting ...

Jan 08, 1954 Michigan State University Improper financial aid; tryouts; outside funds. ...

Found 40 Major Infraction Cases

NCAA.org

When it was pointed out that students also had not complained in the Auburn case that sparked the investigation, McDonald nodded.

"Right, but this is not Auburn," the LS&A dean said. "This is the No. 1 psychology department in the country telling us that they have vetted this and that they are in conformance with procedures that we were asking about."

Right. Auburn had, what eighteen football players who took the independent study classes in question? Michigan had hundreds. They are clearly in a different league.

What an :moon: . I hope they get their holier-than-thou butts put on probation.

What was the name of that blog? I couldnt find it today.

Ya it was Mzone. The story they had up monday made mention of avoiding hotter topics, so they discussed vision quest. Guess they know they will get slammed for it and won't put it up, unless they do it next week. They doing spring break things atm.

Archived