Letter to the NYT from Rev. Wright

autiger4life

He wasn't given a " hypothetical " , as you claim. He was asked directly, had the Wright NOT retired, meaning if he was still at the Church, would you have left

First of, wow. Second, here is the definition of a hypothetical question:

An imaginary situation, incorporating facts previously admitted into evidence, upon which an expert witness is permitted to give an opinion as to a condition resulting from the situation.

So let's break it down. The imaginary situation is that Wright has not retired and did not apologize, the facts that are already evidence is that he made extremely hateful and offensive statements that were against what Obama has been preaching, and the expert witness is Obama, since it is his opinion that Walters was looking for. And the condition resulting from the imaginary situation(see beginning) was whether he would leave the church or not.

So can we all just admit it was a hypothetical? TM, I know you haven't said that it wasn't a hypothetical so just throw your like/less minded republican a line here and let him that it is indeed a hypothetical question.

Dammit all to hell. Are we seriously wasting time playing this childish game " is not, is too " ?? Wake the hell up and just look at what was asked.

At issue is whether or not Obama would have left the church due to all the controversy had RJW not retired. Obama answered , in short, yes, he would have. But, because RJW retired and because he apologized, Obama won't be quitting the church. We know RJW did retire, but Obama makes up the part about him apologizing, simply to sound good for his audience on The View. It's called giving lip service to the crowd! Hell, he didn't even mean it, because once pressed, Obama had to admit that no such apology has, in reality , come from RJW at all !! And there won't be one either, because that's exactly how he feels. And it's what Obaama has called his spiritual home for his entire adult life.

And we know Obama would NOT have left the church, because he never DID leave it after 20 + yrs of this hate speech already ! It's like asking Clinton if he'd ever boink one of his young interns, and he says no, but the fact is.....HE'S ALREADY DONE IT! SO ASKING HIM NOW IS POINTLESS!

He wasn't given a " hypothetical " , as you claim. He was asked directly, had the Wright NOT retired, meaning if he was still at the Church, would you have left

First of, wow. Second, here is the definition of a hypothetical question:

An imaginary situation, incorporating facts previously admitted into evidence, upon which an expert witness is permitted to give an opinion as to a condition resulting from the situation.

So let's break it down. The imaginary situation is that Wright has not retired and did not apologize, the facts that are already evidence is that he made extremely hateful and offensive statements that were against what Obama has been preaching, and the expert witness is Obama, since it is his opinion that Walters was looking for. And the condition resulting from the imaginary situation(see beginning) was whether he would leave the church or not.

So can we all just admit it was a hypothetical? TM, I know you haven't said that it wasn't a hypothetical so just throw your like/less minded republican a line here and let him that it is indeed a hypothetical question.

Dammit all to hell. Are we seriously wasting time playing this childish game " is not, is too " ?? Wake the hell up and just look at what was asked.

At issue is whether or not Obama would have left the church due to all the controversy had RJW not retired. Obama answered , in short, yes, he would have. But, because RJW retired and because he apologized, Obama won't be quitting the church. We know RJW did retire, but Obama makes up the part about him apologizing, simply to sound good for his audience on The View.

You are utterly hopeless.

:banghead::rolleyes:

You are utterly hopeless.

:banghead::rolleyes:

Just because I'm not a mindless suck up to Obama, that makes me hopeless? Fine by me. At least I'm not gullible like you are.

Barbara Walters: "Had the reverend not retired would you have left the church?"

Obama: "Had the reverend not retired, and had he not acknowledged that what he had said had deeply offended people and were inappropriate and mischaracterized what I believe is the greatness of this country, for all its flaws, then I wouldn't have felt comfortable staying at the church."

Ok, so here is my opinion for what it is worth.

BW starts with a question of "would you have left the church if Wright was still there (not retired)? I guess you can, as TT says consider this a hypothetical question, since BW is asking what if the opposite of what has really happened was true. Now, Obama takes the question a lot further than just simply saying Yes or No. He adds in that he would NOT have stayed if Wright was still there AND if Wright had not apologized. Fact is Wright not acknowledged his vile comments as such. By what Obama says, Wright has acknowledged that what he said had deeply offended people...blah blah blah. By putting the negative "not" in front of acknowledge, that means if Wright had never acknowledged his actions and not retired then obama would have left the church.

Basically what Raptor has said. This is the first time I have seen this statement from The View, btw.

Obama won't be quitting the church. We know RJW did retire, but Obama makes up the part about him apologizing

Where did Obama say that Wright apologized. All I say was him saying Wright understood that he offended a lot of people and made controversial statements. That isn't even close to an apology.

Obama: "Had the reverend not retired, and had he not acknowledged that what he had said had deeply offended people and were inappropriate and mischaracterized what I believe is the greatness of this country, for all its flaws, then I wouldn't have felt comfortable staying at the church."

BW starts with a question of "would you have left the church if Wright was still there (not retired)? I guess you can, as TT says consider this a hypothetical question, since BW is asking what if the opposite of what has really happened was true. Now, Obama takes the question a lot further than just simply saying Yes or No. He adds in that he would NOT have stayed if Wright was still there AND if Wright had not apologized. Fact is Wright not acknowledged his vile comments as such. By what Obama says, Wright has acknowledged that what he said had deeply offended people...blah blah blah. By putting the negative "not" in front of acknowledge, that means if Wright had never acknowledged his actions and not retired then obama would have left the church.

Basically what Raptor has said. This is the first time I have seen this statement from The View, btw.

You framed Obama's statements differently than what he said:

He used the same construction in regard to two things that did not happen, indicating that if both had happened, he would have been comfortable staying in the church. Folks can quibble with his position or that he stayed in the church, but he never claim Wright HAS apologized.

You framed Obama's statements differently than what he said:

He used the same construction in regard to two things that did not happen, indicating that if both had happened, he would have been comfortable staying in the church. Folks can quibble with his position or that he stayed in the church, but he never claim Wright HAS apologized.

The lengths which you'll go to to explain away what is so clearly a distortion on Obama's part are bewildering.

He definitely wants us to believe Wright had apologized, because he talks about his resignation ( which did happen ) and the false apology ( which hasn't happened ) as being two events which , had they NOT happened, he (obama ) would have left the church.

It's really plain as day. I think you're simply making an issue out of this because you can't stand to see your guy get grilled , and it annoys you. But he's painted himself in this corner, he never was going to leave the Church, because he KNEW ALL ALONG these were the views held by Wright, and Obama STILL STAYED IN THE CHURCH.

I'm done repeating myself. You know damn well what Obama said. He has since had to explain to the press that Wright has not apologized, as he tried to imply on The View.

Archived