COMMENTARY: Tide in '08 should win just enough to avoid Shreveport

DKW 86

Moon better watch it, he may get McReady-ed soon for being non-all-bammerish.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p...310/1002/SPORTS

COMMENTARY: Tide in '08 should win just enough to avoid Shreveport

By Josh Moon • jmoon@gannett.com • June 1, 2008

Who doesn't love a pre diction column?

They're sort of like that spot-on rankings column I did last week, where I graded out the coaches of the SEC. They're both ultimately meaningless, but man, do people get bent out of shape over these things. I'm still getting e-mails and calls about last week's column.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get the same response this week, mainly because I just don't see any way someone could disagree with my outlook for Alabama's 2008 football season.

Let's run through the games one at a time and I'm sure you'll agree:

Clemson (in Atlanta): Looks like trouble. But to be fair, Clemson looks like trouble for everybody. The Tigers have the players to compete for the national title. You won't find many offensive backfields with more talent, and with 15 of 22 starters returning, you won't find many more experienced teams. Final score: Clemson 27, Alabama 17

Tulane: It'll be a win for the Tide, but I don't think it'll necessarily be an easy win. The Green Wave returns the majority of a decent offensive line and could cause some problems for UA's defensive front. If things go extremely bad, this could be Nick Saban's one really bad loss for the year, but I just can't go that far. Alabama 20, Tulane 10

Western Kentucky (Nobody): Ugh. Alabama 31, Nobody 3

Arkansas (at Fayetteville): I see problems here. New Razorbacks head coach Bob Petrino is a pretty good offensive schemer. Even with Casey Dick under center, Petrino's going to figure out a way to get points against a UA defense that isn't so great. The question will be whether or not the Tide offense can get points of its own. I see a pretty even game, which means I'm going with the home team. Arkansas 31,

Alabama 28

Georgia (at Athens): I see one chance -- the flu. If the Bulldogs -- and I mean all of them -- come down with the flu in the days preceding the game, the Tide has a shot. If not...: Georgia 34, Alabama 17

Kentucky: Back to reality for Rich Brooks and the boys. Someone at Alabama owes a big "thank you" to whoever set up the rotating SEC schedule. Play the Wildcats last year, and things ain't looking so good. But this year, well ...: Alabama 24, UK 14

Ole Miss: As Rebels fans will learn this year, it takes a while to get crazy out of your program. Houston Nutt, without a doubt, is a serious upgrade over Eddie O, but the guy's not a miracle worker. It's going to take a few years to get out of that hole. Alabama 23, Ole Miss 10

Tennessee (at Knoxville): This is the one I've really struggled with. On paper, UT should be the winner. But we all saw how much paper meant last year. It's in Knoxville, which gives the Vols a decent edge. But for some reason, I think UA pulls this off. Alabama 13, UT 9

Arkansas State (Nobody): Basically, an off week: Alabama 38, Nobody 7

LSU (at Baton Rouge): Not even Les Miles could screw this up. Look, let's be honest, LSU has roughly three times the talent that the Tide does right now. Everyone will look at that game last year in Bryant-Denny and think there's a chance that ''Bama can hang with the Tigers. But there's really not. LSU 26, Alabama 14

Mississippi State: I can't figure out why this game so tough for Alabama. It's freakin' Mississippi State, for crying out loud. You take away the cowbells and you're left with just bad football. Yet UA can't seem to beat the Bulldogs, having lost two straight to MSU. I see the end of the Croom Curse. Alabama 24, MSU 13

Auburn: I'm thinking we haven't seen the last of Tommy Tuberville's seven-finger salute. Just remember what you saw last year in Auburn -- the Tigers were better at almost every position. That hasn't changed. In fact, the Tide might've matched up better last year. Auburn 31, Alabama 21

So there ya go. A 7-5 finish and another mediocre season for the Fighting Sabans.

At least Tide fans probably can cancel their standing reservations for Shreveport. :lmao:

BTW, I still think Ole Miss still gives them a run this season. Look Ole miss has taken them to the wire the last 2-3 years. Ole Miss has some talent. Now Ole Miss has a great coach, the only :sec: coach that owns a winning record over CTT, I believe.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a stupid article. This guy has no clue. I feel CERTAIN that uat has enough talent to make it back.................to Shreveport.

Funny, he's got us losing to an Arkansas team that lost ALL their talent after last season.

I agree with you on Arky but I also disagree with him on UT at home. Vols win this game with a strong rushing performance by Arian Foster against Bama's weak d-line.

Same - disagree with Arkansas and UT. But then again - those are the "paper" picks and as he said, paper only went so far last season. Ya gotta call a few upsets right?

I really think we have to take Bama serious next year as Auburn fans and this is why:

1. History shows Saban improving much on his second season.

2. I know he's not the greatest out there, but Bama has a senior QB and Auburn has a new QB coming in. Granted it'll be the end of the season, but you know he won't go lightly.

3. I know we are undefeated, but Bama is at home. It's never easy to win on the road. Just because we are like 6-0 at Bama, is not enough to claim "we can't lose there." Just remember how difficult the '04 game was.

4. It's the Iron Bowl - you never know how it'll go.

5. Don't get cocky - that's when it bites you in the ass. But still enjoy the moment.

While we're on the topic, let's do a little AU vs bammer position by position.

QB: bammer - based of them returning a 3 year starter. I do think AU will have an edge by the time the Iron Bowl gets here

RB: AU - no brainer

WR: AU - AU returns everyone and bammer may have to depend on 2 true freshmen

TE: AU - another no brainer

OL: AU - Will compete with UGA for best o-line group in the SEC.

DE: AU - Name a bammer DE.

DT: AU - Marks and company will be strong. The sky is the limit if Dolittle comes back healthy

LB: AU - The deepest position for the Tigers.

DB: toss up - AU's starters will be solid but depth scares me.

K/P: AU - Phil Steele you're retarded......

Looks like i'm a homer...... B)

Funny, he's got us losing to an Arkansas team that lost ALL their talent after last season.

I agree with you on Arky but I also disagree with him on UT at home. Vols win this game with a strong rushing performance by Arian Foster against Bama's weak d-line.

You hit the nail on the head. No way we go into Knoxville and get the win. Of course the arky game is at Arkansas. So, that will be a tough one too. Bama should win all of their home games expect Auburn. On paper, Auburn is a much more sound team. I think 7-5 is a good estimate.

Same - disagree with Arkansas and UT. But then again - those are the "paper" picks and as he said, paper only went so far last season. Ya gotta call a few upsets right?

I really think we have to take Bama serious next year as Auburn fans and this is why:

1. History shows Saban improving much on his second season.

2. I know he's not the greatest out there, but Bama has a senior QB and Auburn has a new QB coming in. Granted it'll be the end of the season, but you know he won't go lightly.

3. I know we are undefeated, but Bama is at home. It's never easy to win on the road. Just because we are like 6-0 at Bama, is not enough to claim "we can't lose there." Just remember how difficult the '04 game was.

4. It's the Iron Bowl - you never know how it'll go.

5. Don't get cocky - that's when it bites you in the ass. But still enjoy the moment.

Another good post, I think being cocky about the Iron Bowl is a bad idea. Im not saying you shouldnt enjoy the run, but, its a rival game. Both teams have pulled off upsets throughout history. Also, being undefeated at bama has nothing to do with the current season.

The difference would be that Ark HAD some TALENT to lose........................ B)

Not to mention the fact that BP is a good enough coach to make 'em better with his coaching ability in theie first year instead of relying on some type/hype of proccess.

General observations:

- 8-4 for us this upcoming year. I'd be more than satisfied with that provided we show improvement over the course of the season.

- We'll win in Fayetteville.

- Not worried about Ole Miss. If they couldn't beat us in the last three meetings, they never will.

- WarTim, we beat Arkansas in 2007.

- DKW, Houston Nutt is a very average coach.

Bama lost to Arkansas in 2007 by a missed FG right? But you guys won in 2008. What's your point? WT never said you lost?

He referred to a post about losing talent and they did - they lost McFadden & Jones & Monk, amongst others.

Even if Nutt is average (and I think he's well above average if you look at the nation as a whole), that's a gigantic step up from the last few years with O. He was easily the worst coach in the SEC and one of the worst in the nation.

You don't ever get cocky about the Iron Bowl, BUT if we're being honest, there is not one single reason Auburn shouldn't be favored in that game. Bama has about 5-8 guys that could PLAY at Auburn. No joke.

And the whole "the 6-0 record at Bama means nothing" thing is garbage. I was in that stadium when Bama fans went crazy cheering for Bama's first TD (ever in Ttown) in 2002. I was also in the stadium when Bama fans nervously discussed breaking the "curse" (their words not mine) in 2004. It's in Bama fans' minds, which means the players hear about it, which means they think about it. It may not be a deciding factor, but it is a factor.

I think Bama has less talent in 5 games this year (Clemson, UGA, UT, LSU, and Auburn... winning any of those is a sizable upset), they have comparable talent in 2 others (MSU and Ole Miss... which means they should be favored in both since both are at home BUT splitting shouldn't be a surprise), and they have no excuse for losing any of the remaining 5 games (Arkansas, UK, Ark. State, Western Kentucky, and Tulane). SO a 7-5 record would mean you got every win where you were better or even. Anything above that and you won games where you were overmatched; anything below 6-6 and you lost games you shouldn't have.

Bama lost to Arkansas in 2006 by a missed FG right? But you guys won in 2007. What's your point? WT never said you lost?

He referred to a post about losing talent and they did - they lost McFadden & Jones & Monk, amongst others.

Fixed it for ya.

You hit the nail on the head. No way we go into Knoxville and get the win. Of course the arky game is at Arkansas. So, that will be a tough one too. Bama should win all of their home games expect Auburn. On paper, Auburn is a much more sound team. I think 7-5 is a good estimate.

I've never liked the whole thing about, "if you beat a team by a lot one year, you're bound to win the next one." People are saying that Saban has Fulmer's number and I don't think that's true. You don't have a team's number until you've won two or more straight victories. Fulmer is a good enough coach, and Tennessee outmatches Alabama. I think Tennessee pulls off a win, even though it will be close.

For that matter, I think the Clemson game will be close - much closer than anyone else thinks. Clemson may be a good team, but Bowden hasn't proven anything yet since he's been there. I think Saban and co. show up and give Bowden a run for their money. Sure, Clemson will pull out a win in the 4th, but it'll be closer than 10 points, maybe less than a TD. First game of the year and all.

Another good post, I think being cocky about the Iron Bowl is a bad idea. Im not saying you shouldnt enjoy the run, but, its a rival game. Both teams have pulled off upsets throughout history. Also, being undefeated at bama has nothing to do with the current season.

While I share your sentiment about the Iron Bowl being unpredictable and all, I do think that, at some level, Alabama players are afraid to play Auburn. That sounds worse than I mean it, and I mean no disrespect, but Auburn definitely has the mental edge, kinda like Georgia has a kind of mental edge over us at the moment. When Bamuh players take the field against Auburn, our guys always "set the tone." There is something to the whole "occupation of Tuscaloosa" that Tuberville has been running.

I also think that, even though Tuberville might lose to Bammer again at Auburn, he will NEVER underestimate them again after the 2001 debacle. He certainly felt the "heat" after that travesty, and I know that, as much as Saban may feel pressure to win the Iron Bowl, Tuberville wants it more. He's known what its like to win it, and then lose it the next year. Tuberville will fight tooth and nail to keep the streak going as long as he can. Saban has yet to experience that, so he is at the disadvantage, much like the Bammer players are.

Ryan

QB: bammer - based of them returning a 3 year starter. I do think AU will have an edge by the time the Iron Bowl gets here

DT: AU - Marks and company will be strong. The sky is the limit if Dolittle comes back healthy

Homer is right. ESPECIALLY at TE. I've already destroyed this argument. Look up the numbers if you don't believe me.

Our kicker is exceptional. Punter only average. Why you group these positions together, I don't know.

DB toss up? Uh ok. We return possibly the best cover corner in the league and an All SEC safety.

LB - Auburn

DT - Auburn

OL - Bama

WR - Bama. Auburn's corps was underwhelming last season. Returning everyone doesn't mean much.

RB - Auburn...but by how much depends on who's healthy for Bama.

QB - Auburn? Are you kidding me? Based on what?...POTENTIAL? Please. Auburn is starting a guy who's played like 8 minutes and Bama is returning a senior. Saying Auburn by the time the iron bowl gets there is like saying JPW will lose two years of experience over the course of the season.

Homer is right. ESPECIALLY at TE. I've already destroyed this argument. Look up the numbers if you don't believe me.

Our kicker is exceptional. Punter only average. Why you group these positions together, I don't know.

DB toss up? Uh ok. We return possibly the best cover corner in the league and an All SEC safety.

LB - Auburn

DT - Auburn

OL - Bama

WR - Bama. Auburn's corps was underwhelming last season. Returning everyone doesn't mean much.

QB - Auburn? Are you kidding me? Based on what?...POTENTIAL? Please. Auburn is starting a guy who's played like 8 minutes and Bama is returning a senior. Saying Auburn by the time the iron bowl gets there is like saying JPW will lose two years of experience over the course of the season.

- I'll agree with QB. While he's in no way, shape, or form, a GREAT QB, Wilson is certainly much more experienced than either Burns or Todd.

- But your assertion that Bama's OL is better than Auburn's is inaccurate. Andre Smith is the best player out of either group, but what has everyone else accomplished? Yes, your OL had some very good games at times last year, but I didn't see anything that was in any way better than Auburn's OL play, even with 3 true freshmen starting. Based on performance with all starters on the field, I think the two groups are at best even. The advantage would have to go to Auburn considering the depth we'll have on the line. (I realize we can't really be certain on this at all, but I'm sure you'll have a rebuttal)

- I think, at the very least, WRs should be even. Yes, our WRs were "underwhelming," but you can't deny that guys like Smith, Billings, and Dunn certainly improved as the season progressed. The very system we'll run in '08 will maximize the potential of everyone we have. And remember, to those who put stock in star ratings, most of the guys who'll be 1st and 2nd stringers for Auburn were 4 star recruits or higher.

Bama's WR corps will undoubtedly take a hit from losing Hall, Brown, and Caddell. Regardless of character issues, Hall was Alabama's go to guy last year in almost every game. I don't care how good Stover and the others should be, nothing will replace those guy's gamebreaking talent in 2008.

- I think I'll give Bama a SLIGHT edge at DB. It will be the strong point of the defense, but it won't win you the big games. Auburn's secondary has been talented, yet inconsistent for years. While I think we might end up being much better this year, I'll always be a little skeptical of our secondary.

- Kr may be even since both Tiffin and Byrum have proven themselves admirably.

- Pr goes to Auburn as Shoemaker will probably be the most consistent punter in the SEC this year.

Other than that, its about right. Alabama has some talented starting 22, but again, your lack of depth will kill you, especially with your schedule. I'm always nervous about the Iron Bowl, but I think we stack up as well against you as any year in the past. That said, I'm not planning on expending too much energy thinking about THE game until its time comes. I've grown all too weary of the BS about this rivalry in the past few years. It comes from both sides and I'm just about sick of it. I'm ready for August 30th, and the excitement of what promises to be a great season for the real Tigers.

Ryan

LB - Auburn

DT - Auburn

OL - Bama

- I'll agree with QB. While he's in no way, shape, or form, a GREAT QB, Wilson is certainly much more experienced than either Burns or Todd.

- But your assertion that Bama's OL is better than Auburn's is inaccurate. Andre Smith is the best player out of either group, but what has everyone else accomplished? Yes, your OL had some very good games at times last year, but I didn't see anything that was in any way better than Auburn's OL play, even with 3 true freshmen starting. Based on performance with all starters on the field, I think the two groups are at best even. The advantage would have to go to Auburn considering the depth we'll have on the line. (I realize we can't really be certain on this at all, but I'm sure you'll have a rebuttal)

- I think, at the very least, WRs should be even. Yes, our WRs were "underwhelming," but you can't deny that guys like Smith, Billings, and Dunn certainly improved as the season progressed. The very system we'll run in '08 will maximize the potential of everyone we have. And remember, to those who put stock in star ratings, most of the guys who'll be 1st and 2nd stringers for Auburn were 4 star recruits or higher.

Bama's WR corps will undoubtedly take a hit from losing Hall, Brown, and Caddell. Regardless of character issues, Hall was Alabama's go to guy last year in almost every game. I don't care how good Stover and the others should be, nothing will replace those guy's gamebreaking talent in 2008.

- I think I'll give Bama a SLIGHT edge at DB. It will be the strong point of the defense, but it won't win you the big games. Auburn's secondary has been talented, yet inconsistent for years. While I think we might end up being much better this year, I'll always be a little skeptical of our secondary.

- Kr may be even since both Tiffin and Byrum have proven themselves admirably.

- Pr goes to Auburn as Shoemaker will probably be the most consistent punter in the SEC this year.

Other than that, its about right. Alabama has some talented starting 22, but again, your lack of depth will kill you, especially with your schedule. I'm always nervous about the Iron Bowl, but I think we stack up as well against you as any year in the past. That said, I'm not planning on expending too much energy thinking about THE game until its time comes. I've grown all too weary of the BS about this rivalry in the past few years. It comes from both sides and I'm just about sick of it. I'm ready for August 30th, and the excitement of what promises to be a great season for the real Tigers.

Ryan

I always find this the most ludacris arguement ever. I guess it's valid concidering every preseason mag will publish their opinion, so we can debate about it later in the offseason. I am more concerned over whether our OL is better than you DL or wether our DB are better than your WRs. What difference does it make if your LBs are better than our LBs, they will never face each other on the field.

FWIW, the lack of depth has killed us year after year. I can't wait until that is no longer a problem.

Hey BG, question: why does bringing back an underwhelming but more experienced wide receiver corp mean nothing, but bringing back an underwhelming but experienced QB mean everything? Just wondering.

Also, your OL has been average for quite some time, and this year is no different. One left tackle doesn't make you great. You have the best player. We have numbers 2-5. Seriously. I'd take Green and Bosley over anyone else on either line. You always argue that Caldwell is great, and I always say you can have him. Ziemba is better at his position than Caldwell has been at any of his.

Also, you're mistaken. The best corner in the SEC will play in the state of Alabama. His name is Jerraud Powers. You should watch him play.

AND the RB thing doesn't make a bit of difference about who Bama lines up. Terry Grant, Jimmy Johns, Glenn Coffee, and whoever else you think is going to make the difference... none of them are as good as Brad Lester OR Ben Tate (and I think Mario Fannin is better than both of THEM).

Hey BG, question: why does bringing back an underwhelming but more experienced wide receiver corp mean nothing, but bringing back an underwhelming but experienced QB mean everything? Just wondering.

Because it's the QB position. Where you and I both know experience matters. And you and I alos know that WR is the easiest position for a rook to have an impact.

AND the RB thing doesn't make a bit of difference about who Bama lines up. Terry Grant, Jimmy Johns, Glenn Coffee, and whoever else you think is going to make the difference... none of them are as good as Brad Lester OR Ben Tate (and I think Mario Fannin is better than both of THEM).

I gave the edge to AU. I was saying that how big of a gap there depends on who we play. If Upchurch and Grant cant stay healthy...and we have to rely on Coffee...I think the divide is much wider.

why do we all waste time comparing uat/auburn by position? It won't make any difference now and no difference on game day.

Also, your OL has been average for quite some time, and this year is no different.

sooo, let me get this straight. AU's line allowed the same amount of sacks as UA. AU rushed for only 100 yards more than UA on 53 more attempts. UA had a better scoring offense, a better pass offense, better total offense, more first downs, better in 3rd down conversions. so please explain how AU's oline is so much greater? if we're talking about potential here, haven't you guys been drilling into our heads the past 4 months that you can't bank on a player's potential?

AUBURNJAC= :au::homer: right there with you buddy......I do disagree with the DB "toss up" though....We are faaarrrr better than the turds at that posistion. B)

I normally try to avoid posting Bama stuff on an AU board (I actually come to this site to discuss Auburn), but I figured I'd chime in here and give my opinion (and it is nothing more than that) since it is the off season and there isn't too much being discussed on the boards I visit.....

QB - Bama edge: Both teams/fans have valid arguments as why they should have an edge, but I think JPW as a 3rd year senior starter has a "slight" edge over 1st year starter Kodi Burns.

RB - Auburn edge: Bama will be RB by committee this year. Has depth and should be consistent, just not great. Auburn is returning a very talented duo.

WR - toss up. Bama is returning more than you may realize and has a lot of depth at this position. Auburn WR's are young and should shine a lot more this year, especially in the new offensive scheme.

TE - toss up. Bama has lots of talent and depth at TE and is a mystery to most Bama fans why they haven't been utilized more. Based on the A-day game, that will no longer be the case.

OL - Auburn edge. Bama's should show much improvement this year, but AU simply has more talent and depth overall.

DE & DT - Auburn edge. I honestly think Bama's DL is better than advertised, but not as good as Auburns

LB - Auburn edge - probably Auburns strongest position and Bama's weakest. The SEC is a tough place to be thin at LB and Bama will feel the pain from it this season....

DB - Bama "slight" edge - starters are a toss up, but Bama has a little more depth at this position.

In general, I think the passing games of both teams will be fairly equal, but AU will have a more dominant running game and a more dominant defense. The Iron Bowl will come down to Auburn playing for a win to go to Atlanta and Bama will be playing to try to get to a better bowl game. I don't predict the outcomes of the Iron Bowl, but I think AU is the better team "on paper".

rws, here's the problem with that analysis. Our offensive line won games. That's number one. Go back and watch us push LSU and Florida around for four quarters then find ONE GAME against even decent opponents where your boys did the same. You won't find it. Second, we're not relying on potential any more than you are. Caldwell is nothing BUT hype and potential. He's never been a consistent player, and he's never been dominant yet I alllllways hear about how good he is. Third, you're comparing seasonal stats when our current line only played together for part of the season. The freshmen didn't move into the lineup till later.

Look it's fine if Bama fans want to convince themselves their line is better than it is. Just don't expect the rest of us to buy it. Like I said, our's is a line you win games with. They're aggressive, physical, and have proven they can absolutely take over games and impose themselves on good teams. Our offense was as unimaginative as any Auburn has fielded in the last 20 years last year; yet we STILL had a solid ground game. All I'm saying is don't be surprised when Auburn's line leans on your defense and wears you down just like we have the last 6 years. There's a reason Tubs went for it on 4th down. He knew we'd worn you down, and he knew we'd pick it up. That's what this line does.

As for the QB debate, I personally think you have to put Wilson toward the top of the SEC ratings at the start of the year. I just don't think you have to be in awe of the guy. He's never been a winner, and he's rarely taken over games. While I think he's top five heading into the year, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him further down the list at the end of the year.

I'm not usually a huge homer... I just don't see the talent on Bama's sideline this year. I honestly think you're less talented than you were last year. That doesn't mean a worse record b/c chemistry and momentum and things like that play a HUGE part in shaping a record (Heck for proof of that look at 03 and 04 Auburn or look at 05 Bama who had a comparable level of talent to the season before and after it but got really hot); I just don't see any improvement in the talent in the starting lineup. I don't know enough of the backups to speak to the depth. It should be getting better, and that should help. I just don't know those guys.

Archived