Israel Pushing US To Strike Iran

RunInRed

Joint Chiefs Chairman Admiral Mike Mullen leaves Tuesday night on an overseas trip that will take him to Israel, reports CBS News national security correspondent David Martin. The trip has been scheduled for some time but U.S. officials say it comes just as the Israelis are mounting a full court press to get the Bush administration to strike Iran's nuclear complex.

CBS consultant Michael Oren says Israel doesn't want to wait for a new administration.

"The Israelis have been assured by the Bush administration that the Bush administration will not allow Iran to nuclearize," Oren said. "Israelis are uncertain about what would be the policies of the next administration vis-à-vis Iran."

Israel's message is simple: If you don't, we will. Israel held a dress rehearsal for a strike earlier this month, but military analysts say Israel can not do it alone.

"Keep in mind that Israel does not have strategic bombers," Oren said. "The Israeli Air Force is not the American Air Force. Israel can not eliminate Iran's nuclear program."

The U.S. with its stealth bombers and cruise missiles has a much greater capability. Vice President Cheney is said to favor a strike, but both Mullen and Defense Secretary Gates are opposed to an attack which could touch off a third war in the region.

U.S. intelligence estimates Iran won't be able to build a weapon until sometime early in the next decade. But Israel is operating on a much shorter timetable.

"The Iranians, according to Israeli security sources, will have an operable nuclear weapon by 2009. That's not a very long time," Oren said.

For now, the Bush administration is counting on new economic sanctions which took effect Tuesday to persuade Iran to give up its nuclear program. But nobody's counting on it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/06/24/...r=World_4206201

I think Iran's nuclear weapon capabilities is more than just Israel's business. Personally, I think we need to see what happens in their new elections and approach the next Iranian administration. But if they won't shut it down, we need work with Israel to take the reactor out.

I think Iran's nuclear weapon capabilities is more than just Israel's business. Personally, I think we need to see what happens in their new elections and approach the next Iranian administration. But if they won't shut it down, we need work with Israel to take the reactor out.

Just curious, if the timetable is next year, how long would you give negotiations with the next administration before you would support action?

I don't think that is a fight we need to get into yet, but if the 2009 timetable is correct, that is going to be a bad situation over there. Hopefully, the leaders of Iran would realize that although they have the bomb, using it would be the worst mistake they could ever make.

NOW YOUR TALKING! Take it out, when/if dimplomacy has failed. I agree with that!

Just curious, if the timetable is next year, how long would you give negotiations with the next administration before you would support action?

I don't think that is a fight we need to get into yet, but if the 2009 timetable is correct, that is going to be a bad situation over there. Hopefully, the leaders of Iran would realize that although they have the bomb, using it would be the worst mistake they could ever make.

I don't think we can let them get to the point of having a bomb. One bomb makes them very, very dangerous. That's all it would take to effectively wipe out Isreal and make martars of the Palestinians.

Very tough question that lacks an obvious answer. I think the timing has more to do with next Iranian adminstration (many don't think Ahmadinejad will be re-elected) than it does with our next Administration.

Also, what I'm suggesting (assuming Iran continues to thwart the international commiunity and diplomatic efforts fail) would be a strategic strike to take out their nuclear reactor, not an invasion. Much like Israel took out Syria's nuclear project a few years back.

Before this happens....I hope they think long and hard what this would/could escalate to. Frankly, I think we should be done with Afghanistan or Iraq (or both in an ideal world) before we start messing with Iran...even if it isn't an invasion. Who knows what bombing their nuclear facility could turn into.

Before this happens....I hope they think long and hard what this would/could escalate to. Frankly, I think we should be done with Afghanistan or Iraq (or both in an ideal world) before we start messing with Iran...even if it isn't an invasion. Who knows what bombing their nuclear facility could turn into.

Hmmm. Bomb the bomb or wait for the bomb to wipe out one of our allies? Yeah. Wait and see is the answer. Worked out pretty well for the Jews before WWII. It sounds like a good plan again.

Why does everyone hate the Jews?

ALLAH ACKBAR! <then pushes button> No reason is ever needed with those people.

Hmmm. Bomb the bomb or wait for the bomb to wipe out one of our allies? Yeah. Wait and see is the answer. Worked out pretty well for the Jews before WWII. It sounds like a good plan again.

So you think that Iran will nuke Israel the second the produce one, knowing full well that their country will be utterly decimated shortly thereafter? You must be smoking some schwag, because you are paranoid as hell.

So you think that Iran will nuke Israel the second the produce one, knowing full well that their country will be utterly decimated shortly thereafter? You must be smoking some schwag, because you are paranoid as hell.

In the real world, Iran could drop a nuke on Israel and there would be NO DECIMATION to Iran. Who wold retaliate? Us? We might drop some conventional stuff. Create some sanctions, etc. But no-one would wipe out Iran for fear of a world war. Iran's actions would be attributed to madmen and not the people, therefore negating a total response. In the end, the only thing accomplished would be the death of Israel, and what muslim nation does not want that.

So you seem to be the one who is willing to sacrifice Israel for a few sanctions. Kind of a Nazi-esque attitude don't you think?

It seems very hypocritical to me that we can have bombs, but no one else can. We only use them for good and everyone else using them for evil? Perhaps other countries make the same statement with the roles reversed. Would we want them to have the same ideas/methods?

I think we do/should have enough military intellegence to know if/when to expect attack. Not next Wednesday at 2:38 pm, a Cambodian named Bob will bomb NE/SW/45/23S/10E, but rather who to keep a closer eye on. I know we are keeping our eyes peeled now, but bombing because they may have a bomb strikes me as risky. If they were making it for someone else, then we strike when we were out of the equation we suddenly become the primary target.

I mean, personally if I was In my car loading my gun to shoot any possible intruders at my home, then you show up and shoot me in the arm b/c I have my 357 out, you better believe you will be shot.

I think we should just mind our own business until we know we are at risk.

It seems very hypocritical to me that we can have bombs, but no one else can. We only use them for good and everyone else using them for evil? Perhaps other countries make the same statement with the roles reversed. Would we want them to have the same ideas/methods?

I think we do/should have enough military intellegence to know if/when to expect attack. Not next Wednesday at 2:38 pm, a Cambodian named Bob will bomb NE/SW/45/23S/10E, but rather who to keep a closer eye on. I know we are keeping our eyes peeled now, but bombing because they may have a bomb strikes me as risky. If they were making it for someone else, then we strike when we were out of the equation we suddenly become the primary target.

I mean, personally if I was In my car loading my gun to shoot any possible intruders at my home, then you show up and shoot me in the arm b/c I have my 357 out, you better believe you will be shot.

I think we should just mind our own business until we know we are at risk.

Sometimes there are advantages to being the "big dog" - sure it doesn't sound "fair", but it is reality. I also have concerns about an instabil country like Iran having nukes, Russia bothers me as well, but nowhere near as much. Other countries have them as well, but they at least show some level of stability - sorry Iran doesn't meet that requirement. Close minded - maybe, realistic - definitely.

Quite possibly. You are placing your values and beliefs on a culture that finds martyrdom as the most glorious way to die - a trip straight to heaven where you are awarded 40 virgins. A culture that lines its own children up to walk through minfields as human mine sweepers (Iran did this in the war against Iraq), a nation that supports and praises suicide bombers. Yes, I think it is perfectly reasonable to assume they would use a nuke. Does a suicide bomber worry about the consequences?

In the real world, Iran could drop a nuke on Israel and there would be NO DECIMATION to Iran. Who wold retaliate? Us? We might drop some conventional stuff. Create some sanctions, etc. But no-one would wipe out Iran for fear of a world war. Iran's actions would be attributed to madmen and not the people, therefore negating a total response. In the end, the only thing accomplished would be the death of Israel, and what muslim nation does not want that.

So you seem to be the one who is willing to sacrifice Israel for a few sanctions. Kind of a Nazi-esque attitude don't you think?

Dude, come on. I know you're just trying to rile me up by calling me a Nazi...but you can do better than that. Noone wnats to sacrifice Israel.

You just make it seem like this operation would be a simple bombing...and that just isn't the case.

Dude, come on. I know you're just trying to rile me up by calling me a Nazi...but you can do better than that. Noone wnats to sacrifice Israel.

You just make it seem like this operation would be a simple bombing...and that just isn't the case.

I didn't call you a nazi. I implied that that was the type of thinking that allowed Hitler to attempt to eradicate the Jews. If it is allowed now, what does that say for humanity? And Iran has an even worse hatred for Jews than Hitler did.

But the fact remains that Iran is controlled by a religion that would justify dropping a bomb on Israel and the world's response would be less than what Israel received.

Remember 1981....a French built reactor right outside of Baghdad was bombed? Anyone? I think that might would happen again, not for sure, but the Israelis are not to keen on being threatened, IMO.

I do have a question for everyone on this board. Well maybe not everyone, but some of you for sure. What is the problem with Israel that you have?

Archived