Florida's depth on D

I was listening to Chuck Oliver on 790 am in Atlanta on the way home from work yesterday and I had no idea, but Fla has one Sr DT and the rest are Fr. I knew about their problems at safety, but they'll be playing at least one freshmen at all times(I think) at DT next year. That may be a problem for them.

They've got all kinds of playmakers on offense and they'll put up points, but I have a feeling they're gonna be giving up a good bit too. And they'll have to have the offense on the field to score points in the first place. Some teams may run all over them. I know they've got good LB's, but if you've got one or two freshmen in the middle of your D line, that could be a huge problem.

Sporting News has the DL starters projected as:

LDE: Carlos Dunlap 6'6" 290 So.

LDT: Mike Pouncey 6'5" 309 So.

RDT: Javier Estopinan 6'1" 279 Sr.

RDE: Jermaine Cunningham 6'3" 241 Jr.

The back ups are all listed as Sophomores with the exception of one Freshman. They recruited a bad mo fo for the DL in Omar Hunter. The write up definitely sounded like they need some guys to step up and not a very experienced group overall.

Sporting News has the DL starters projected as:

LDE: Carlos Dunlap 6'6" 290 So.

LDT: Mike Pouncey 6'5" 309 So.

RDT: Javier Estopinan 6'1" 279 Sr.

RDE: Jermaine Cunningham 6'3" 241 Jr.

The back ups are all listed as Sophomores with the exception of one Freshman. They recruited a bad mo fo for the DL in Omar Hunter. The write up definitely sounded like they need some guys to step up and not a very experienced group overall.

Think anyone will be running left on 'em?

I have UF winning the East but I still have them losing 2 games and maybe 3 if we beat them.

UF's D was incredibly average last year and what makes me think they will continue to be is how badly their DL got beat down by our OL. I mean, it was odd seeing their DL being manhandled by freshman OL in our game. They were mentally untough and physically just average

They lose 2 starters from that DL and and are replacing their Strong Safety

Some D stats

31 points to Troy

37 points to UK

42 points to UGA

28 points to LSU

31 points to South Carolina

41 points to Michigan

8th in SEC in Scoring D

Last in SEC in Pass D

7th in SEC in Total D

11th in SEC in Pass Eff. D

11th in SEC in Penalties

9th in SEC in Red Zone D

10th in SEC in 3rd Down Conversions against them

Urban better learn that you have to run and play defense to win the SEC. Most of Zook's players are gone now and Urban forgot to develop that talent. I don't think he will develop a running game and defense this year. He's getting talent in those areas, but it is a year away from "gellin'".

Archived