Auburn recruited Chris Jordan to play LB, he said that Coach $abban told

The Prowler

Again, the difference is, we see it as normal. You CANNOT just go around saying "Yeah, I'm interested in the Alabama/Auburn job...we haven't come to terms yet, and if we don't, I'd sure love to stick around here"...

But AU people are blasting Saban for it, while giving CTT a free pass.

Read my lips.......Tubs NEVER said he was not going to be Auburn's next HC. Saban REPEATEDLY said he was not going to be bama's next HC. Huge difference no matter how you try to spin or rationalize it.

So he was going to coach AU from Oxford?

That's news.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, the difference is, we see it as normal. You CANNOT just go around saying "Yeah, I'm interested in the Alabama/Auburn job...we haven't come to terms yet, and if we don't, I'd sure love to stick around here"...

Read my lips.......Tubs NEVER said he was not going to be Auburn's next HC. Saban REPEATEDLY said he was not going to be bama's next HC. Huge difference no matter how you try to spin or rationalize it.

That's news.

Cute but no cigar. I have given you a link to a video where Saban adamantly denies he is not going to bama. Either show me something where Tubs says he is not going to Auburn or

cool the spin. Don't waste your time looking up all the old "pine box'"articles from Oxford. Although he says he will leave Oxford in a pine box, he doesn't say he is not going too Auburn. He says he hasn't talked to Auburn. That's true because his agent was doing the talking. Saban just came right out and said he was not going to bama.

That's news.

Cute but no cigar. I have given you a link to a video where Saban adamantly denies he is not going to bama. Either show me something where Tubs says he is not going to Auburn or

cool the spin. Don't waste your time looking up all the old "pine box'"articles from Oxford. Although he says he will leave Oxford in a pine box, he doesn't say he is not going too Auburn. He says he hasn't talked to Auburn. That's true because his agent was doing the talking. Saban just came right out and said he was not going to bama.

so, if CNS would have said "I'm not going to leave Miami" or "The only way i will leave Miami is in a pine box", then all of a sudden he wouldn't be a liar because he didn't specifically say another team's name?

so, if CNS would have said "I'm not going to leave Miami" or "The only way i will leave Miami is in a pine box", then all of a sudden he wouldn't be a liar because he didn't specifically say another team's name?

I would say that is a less specific "lie" and not as blatant as Saban insisting he was not going to bama in front of a national media group. And you seem to fail to recognize that Saban said the same lie over a several day period whereas Tubs made his off the cuff remark, probably in humor, to a local group of sportswriters on one occassion.

Is Tubs pine box comment in the same league as Bill Clinton saying "I did not have sex with that woman?". Nope but Saban's lie is.

Tubs lie is long forgotten except by a few desperate bammers while Saban is on video record for posterity.

Let's just say on a scale of 1-10 Tubs lie is a 1 and Saban's is a 9.

This is the most petty fencing I've ever seen from you PT, and that's saying a lot.

The guy was asked flat out: "are you taking the Auburn job...he said, the only way I'm leaving oxford is in a pine box"

There's no difference. Semantics don't change the outcome.

This is the most petty fencing I've ever seen from you PT, and that's saying a lot.

The guy was asked flat out: "are you taking the Auburn job...he said, the only way I'm leaving oxford is in a pine box"

See post above. And I stand by my claim that he did not say he was not going to be the next Auburn HC. Refute that or give it up.

See post above. And I stand by my claim that he did not say he was not going to be the next Auburn HC. Refute that or give it up.

What's the difference in saying "I'm not leaving Ole Miss" and saying "I'm not going to be AU's head coach"...I fail to see the difference in respect to his current coaching job.

The fact that he went to AU, or Oklahoma is immaterial. The fact that he was no longer the Ole Miss coach is what matters.

What's the difference in saying "I'm not leaving Ole Miss" and saying "I'm not going to be AU's head coach"...I fail to see the difference in respect to his current coaching job.

The fact that he went to AU, or Oklahoma is immaterial. The fact that he was no longer the Ole Miss coach is what matters.

Spin as you will. I maintain that Saban continuously lied over a period of time while Tubs made probably what he intended to be a humourous comment, typical coach speak when being asked idf he is leaving. I have said Tubs lied. The point is Saban's lies were much more blatant. I think most people agree that is a big difference

Spin as you will. I maintain that Saban continuously lied over a period of time while Tubs made probably what he intended to be a humourous comment, typical coach speak when being asked idf he is leaving. I have said Tubs lied. The point is Saban's lies were much more blatant.

Still didn't answer my question.

Spin as you will. I maintain that Saban continuously lied over a period of time while Tubs made probably what he intended to be a humourous comment, typical coach speak when being asked idf he is leaving. I have said Tubs lied. The point is Saban's lies were much more blatant.

Still didn't answer my question.

Yeah I did, you just don't recoconize it. Good night.

http://legacy.decaturdaily.com/decaturdail...s/071026c.shtml

As the coach of Ole Miss almost a decade ago, Tommy Tuberville uttered these now-infamous words: “They’ll have to carry me out of here in a pine box”

According to a story written by Rick Cleveland, a longtime columnist from the Jackson, Miss.-based Clarion-Ledger, Tuberville “never told his players so much as good-bye.”

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast?tag=tommy%20tuberville

Tommy Tuberville said the only way he would leave Ole Miss was "in a pine box." Four days later he was off to Auburn -- quite vertically.

http://www.dfwauburn.com/html/HotNews.htm?article_id=54 (an AU Club website!)

At one point, Tuberville told an Ole Miss alumni group that the only way he would leave Oxford was "in a pine box." Two days later, Tuberville accepted the job as head coach of the Auburn Tigers.

so, its just a matter of the CNS thing went on longer than the CTT thing that makes it ok? both said they weren't leaving. both did it a few days later. i could just as easily say CNS meant it as nothing more than a humorous comment, and that it was only coach speak. YOU are the one that is trying to spin this off the face of the planet. you guys have contended that CNS knew the whole time he was going and CTT honestly mean what he said because he didn't know at the time. you're saying they just whipped up a deal for CTT in two days? both situations are pretty much the same, no matter how you spin it.

geez, haven't you guys beat this enough? Who really cares? Tuberville is entering his 10th season at Auburn, and I think its a pretty safe bet to say that saban won't be around uat anywhere close to 10 years.

geez, haven't you guys beat this enough? Who really cares? Tuberville is entering his 10th season at Auburn, and I think its a pretty safe bet to say that saban won't be around uat anywhere close to 10 years.

So now you're slamming him for leaving and he hasn't even left yet?

So now you're slamming him for leaving and he hasn't even left yet?

not slamming him at all, just using previous history of other coaches tenure at uat to deduce a logical conclusion.

not slamming him at all, just using previous history of other coaches tenure at uat to deduce a logical conclusion.

And you could have said the same exact thing about CTT before he got to Auburn ;)

And you could have said the same exact thing about CTT before he got to Auburn ;)

You and RWS being bammers and most of us here being Auburn fans, it's obvious we have differing opinions of the situation. So as someone said above....enough. Ya'll have your opinions, I have mine. I could not care less what yours is and I hope the same is true in reverse.

Maybe a mod will graciously lock this thread.

No, actually you cant. Well, you can but it wouldn't be accurate...

Tuberville's head coaching stops...

Ole Miss - 1995-1998 (4 years)

Auburn - 1999 -Present

2008 will be tuberville's 14th year as a head coach and he's had TWO jobs....

Saban

Toledo 1990

Michigan State 1995-1999

LSU - 2000-2004

Miami Dolphins - 2005-2006

now, uat...2007 - Present

2008 will be Saban's 13th year as a head coach and he's had FIVE jobs...and that's just his head coaching jobs, not including his assistant stops between 1991 and 1995 when he took the MSU job.

Really, there is no comparison here. It's a pretty safe assumption that given sabans history of moving AND uat's history of not being able to keep one ( see 5 coaches since 2000) that he won't be there very long.

It's really quite simple and logical to assume that saban won't stay at uat for very long.

both situations are pretty much the same, no matter how you spin it.

So you're saying

Tuberville told an Ole Miss alumni group
is the same as angrily declaring to a group of national media that " I will not be the head coach at Alabama"? Right.... B)

Both were hired in the same fashion due to both having the same agent. You're assuming that if CTT had been put under the same media pressure saban was that he would have reacted similarly.

So you're saying

is the same as angrily declaring to a group of national media that " I will not be the head coach at Alabama"? Right.... B)

Both were hired in the same fashion due to both having the same agent. You're assuming that if CTT had been put under the same media pressure saban was that he would have reacted similarly.

So YOU are saying that because CTT's job wasn't in the national spotlight like Saban's was, his lie doesn't matter as much as Saban's lie?

So you're saying

So YOU are saying that because CTT's job wasn't in the national spotlight like Saban's was, his lie doesn't matter as much as Saban's lie?

Tuberville told his players that he didn't know what was going to happen the day before he left, did Saban do the same?

When Tuberville suspends a player for a game, do they sit out the whole game? or come in the second half against ULM?

When Tuberville speaks of another fanbase does he call them coonasses?

Please, oh great one, explain to me, why Saint Nick is a saint. I'm perfectly fine with Saban being a jacka$$, but don't try to compare Tuberville to being one just to make yourself feel better about rooting for your own HC when it isn't true.

So you're saying

Tuberville told his players that he didn't know what was going to happen the day before he left, did Saban do the same?

When Tuberville suspends a player for a game, do they sit out the whole game? or come in the second half against ULM?

When Tuberville speaks of another fanbase does he call them coonasses?

Please, oh great one, explain to me, why Saint Nick is a saint. I'm perfectly fine with Saban being a jacka$$, but don't try to compare Tuberville to being one just to make yourself feel better about rooting for your own HC when it isn't true.

What does that have to do with the previous post I just made? Where did I say anyone was a saint? Why are you putting words in my mouth?

So you're saying

Not at all. Let me try to explain. CTT, according to some, made a comment to an alumni group that the only way he was leaving Oxford was in a pine box. Now, you guys are turning what seems to be a tongue-in-cheek comment into some kind of binding commitment.

You said on this very board last year (was it last year or the year before?) That you would eat your hat if bama lost to __________ (fill in the blank). Now does the fact that your hat remains uneaten put you in the same category as CTT?

The comments made by CNS were not tongue-in-cheek, but matter-of-fact that he would not become the head coach at alabama and made in an aggravated and condescending tone to the inquiring media. Even after the story was broken wide open, he continued to lie to the dolphins.

CTT has a reputation as a man of good character who runs a clean program which fosters physical and spiritual development.

CNS, on the otherhand, is widely viewed as a jerk with a win at all costs attitude.

There's probably a reason for that.

So you're saying

Not at all. Let me try to explain. CTT, according to some, made a comment to an alumni group that the only way he was leaving Oxford was in a pine box. Now, you guys are turning what seems to be a tongue-in-cheek comment into some kind of binding commitment.

You said on this very board last year (was it last year or the year before?) That you would eat your hat if bama lost to __________ (fill in the blank). Now does the fact that your hat remains uneaten put you in the same category as CTT?

The comments made by CNS were not tongue-in-cheek, but matter-of-fact that he would not become the head coach at alabama and made in an aggravated and condescending tone to the inquiring media. Even after the story was broken wide open, he continued to lie to the dolphins.

CTT has a reputation as a man of good character who runs a clean program which fosters physical and spiritual development.

CNS, on the otherhand, is widely viewed as a jerk with a win at all costs attitude.

Bingo. We have a winner.

So you're saying

Bingo. We have a winner.

And they aren't ashamed of that. That's what they paid for. The ends justifies the means. I don't understand why they try to bring others to the level that they exist on though. Why do they care? They just want to say 13, right?

So you don't think the pine box comment was at all an attempt to give them a satisfying answer so they would stop questioning him?

You think Saban, who didn't have an agreement from Alabama, should come out and say that he's in discussions with Alabama? NO COACH IN THE WORLD DOES THAT.

They always deny deny deny until they have a deal.

Why are AU fans the only ones who have a hard time grasping that?

Archived