The top 10 games of the Tuberville era are in....

WarTiger

for the next 10 days. In at No. 10 was last years TIGER bowl

Auburn 17 UAT 10

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-foot.../081808aab.html

No. 10

Nov. 24, 2007 - Auburn 17, Alabama 10

Jordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, Ala.

Aug. 18, 2008

Coach Tuberville's Top 10: Number 10

This summer, Auburn fans had the opportunity to vote on the Top 10 games during the Tommy Tuberville Era. Fans had 25 games to choose from during the month-long voting. Now, AuburnTigers.com will unveil how fans voted, with game recaps and video highlights daily Monday through Friday for the next two weeks, counting down from No. 10 to No. 1.....So sit back, relax and enjoy....Here's No. 10...

No. 10

Nov. 24, 2007 - Auburn 17, Alabama 10

Auburn ran its winning streak against Alabama to a school-record six games, limiting the Crimson Tide to season lows in points and total offense during a 17-10 Iron Bowl victory in front of a sellout crowd of 87,459 at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

The Tigers scored 10 unanswered first-quarter points, then let their defense take over, as Alabama managed just 225 yards of offense, including a season-low 113 through the air. Auburn continued its streak of not allowing the Tide to score a touchdown in the first quarter of an Iron Bowl game since 1996.

Auburn's defense started strong by forcing an Alabama three-and-out and the Tigers capitalized on their first drive, going 65 yards on 12 plays. Ben Tate capped off the drive with a 3-yard touchdown run put Auburn up 7-0.

Brandon Cox connected with Rodgeriqus Smith for a 31-yard reception on Auburn's next possession and Wes Byrum gave the Tigers a 10-0 advantage with a 37-yard field goal.

Early in the second quarter, Alabama answered with an 11-play, 54-yard drive, but found itself facing a fourth down just outside the 1-yard line. John Parker Wilson's quarterback sneak appeared to come up short at first glance, but he eventually forced his way across the goal line for a touchdown and brought the Tide within 10-7.

Alabama was driving towards another score as time ticked away late in the first half, but with just 17 seconds on the clock, Jerraud Powers popped a potential 11-yard touchdown pass out of DJ Hall's hands, then caught the ball himself for an interception as the Tigers took a 10-7 lead into the lockerroom. It was Powers' fourth takeaway of the season.

Auburn's defense maintained its stronghold over the Tide, forcing Alabama to punt on its first four possessions of the second half. Robert Dunn's 31-yard return after the fourth possession set up Auburn's final scoring drive. Starting at the Alabama 44 with 8:48 left in the game, the Tigers ran nine plays before Cox snuck over from a yard out with 3:58 left to give Auburn a 17-7 lead.

The Tide pulled within seven points after Leigh Tiffin kicked a 49-yard field goal with 2:11 remaining in the fourth quarter. But Cole Bennett fell on an onsides kick, and Brad Lester's 12-yard run on fourth-and-one allowed Auburn to run out the clock and clinch the win.

Lester finished with a career-best 98 yards rushing on 22 carries, while Tate had 77 yards and a score on just 11 rushes.

Cox became just the second Auburn quarterback after Jason Campbell to beat Alabama three times. The win also marked the 26th for Cox, to tie him with Pat Sullivan for third on Auburn's all-time list for wins by a starting quarterback.

Josh Thompson led the defense with a career-best 12 tackles, while Tray Blackmon followed with seven. The Tiger defense did not allow a rush of more than nine yards during the entire game, and did not surrender any pass plays of 20 or more yards.

The victory allowed Auburn to finish second in the SEC West with a 5-3 record, giving the Tigers a winning SEC record for an eighth straight season.

Auburn improved to 7-2 against the Tide when playing on Pat Dye Field at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Tuberville's thoughts looking back...

"Anytime you beat your in-state rival and for a record amount of times, it's a great feeling. It had never been done here at Auburn - six times in a row - and doing it here against a new coaching staff added to it. They had all the things going for them. They came in ready to go and again, we played well enough to win the game. I thought we played a bit tight in that game, but it was a huge win against Alabama."

"That game [Auburn vs. Alabama] is not a great football game in terms of big plays, but it's normally conservative on both sides, trying to feel each other out. Both teams want to go out and win it, but you try to not lose at the same time. That's the thing; we all know how important it is to our fans on both sides of the field."

Last year's Iron Bowl? That's crap. There have been at LEAST 15 better games out there than last year's Iron Bowl.

A crappy Bama team meets a stagnant Auburn O. Sure, the domination of Bama continued. But Bama didn't even make it too interesting!

Last year's Iron Bowl? That's crap. There have been at LEAST 15 better games out there than last year's Iron Bowl.

A crappy Bama team meets a stagnant Auburn O. Sure, the domination of Bama continued. But Bama didn't even make it too interesting!

Same thing I thought. If that game made the list, then every one of the 6 straight will be on there. Kinda a shame.

I agree completely that last year's Iron Bowl should not have made the top ten. I was there. It was a nice game and all, but not particularly memorable except for being number six over the Tide. Our defense was pretty good, but our offense was nothing great. We were playing an unranked opponent that had lost what, four straight games? And we only beat them by a TD. It wouldn't even make my top fifteen games of the Tuberville era.

I hope the other games are better choices, and I'm wondering how many of the ten I voted for will make the final cut.

Number Nine is a much better selection: The epic beatdown we put on Tennessee in 2004. Now that is the kind of game that deserves to be remembered.

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-foot.../081908aab.html

Yeah, I'll always remember 2 things about that game. Sitting at my porch at halftime and laughing about the beatdown with my neighbors, and going down to Toomer's after the game and celebrating.

This was one of my favorites. Anytime I wanna watch a old game, this is always one of my first choices. All the hype leading up to it, and how we weren't supposed to be able to stop UT's wonderful new QB's! LOL while I chase the helmet out of the end zone. Thank you Ronnie Brown.

no. 8

No. 8

Sept. 16, 2006 - Auburn 7, LSU 3

August 20, 2008

Coach Tuberville's Top 10: Number 8

This summer, Auburn fans had the opportunity to vote on the Top 10 games during the Tommy Tuberville Era. Fans had 25 games to choose from during the month-long voting. Now, AuburnTigers.com will unveil how fans voted, with game recaps and video highlights daily Monday through Friday for the next two weeks, counting down from No. 10 to No. 1.....So sit back, relax and enjoy....Here's No. 8...

No. 8

Sept. 16, 2006 - Auburn 7, LSU 3

One yard made all of the difference in a defensive battle between two top-10 nationally-ranked Southeastern Conference powers. Quarterback Brandon Cox's 1-yard sneak over the goal line in the third quarter lifted No. 3 Auburn over No. 6 LSU, 7-3, in front of a sellout crowd at Jordan-Hare Stadium. The Tigers' 7-3 victory was the lowest scoring game at Jordan-Hare Stadium since Auburn's 7-0 win over Houston in 1973.

Auburn started on its own 25-yard line following a punt after LSU's opening possession of the third quarter. Kenny Irons was able to make headway through LSU's stifling run defense to string together eight rushes for 38 yards, and Cox connected with Rodgeriqus Smith for 17 yards before Cox snuck across the goal line for the eventual game-winning touchdown. The drive consisted of 12 plays, covering 75 yards and taking 6:43 off the clock.

Auburn, however, needed defensive strength to stop LSU on a pair of drives late in the game. On its second-to-last possession of the game, LSU signal caller JaMarcus Russell completed a 37-yard pass to Early Doucet, moving the Bayou Bengals to the Auburn 33-yard line, but an incomplete pass on fourth down halted the LSU charge. Auburn's Eric Brock tipped the pass away, which was the first of two big defensive plays for Brock as the minutes ticked away on the clock and LSU.

LSU got to within striking distance once more on the final drive of the game. Starting at their own 20 with 1:11 to play, the Bayou Bengals moved all the way to Auburn's 19, highlighted by Russell connecting on a 21-yard pass to Dwayne Bowe. Two plays later with just seconds left, Russell found Craig Davis on the left side, but Brock again came up big, bringing him down at the 4-yard line as the clock expired.

Auburn limited LSU to 311 yards of total offense, with 155 of those coming in the fourth quarter. The Bayou Bengals managed just 42 yards rushing on 23 attempts as the hard-hitting Auburn defense stood its ground.

LSU's defense, however, proved to be just as stingy, holding the Tigers to 182 yards of offense, including 110 through the air. Cox finished the game 11-of-20 with a single pick.

Kenny Irons, meanwhile, carried the ball 25 times for 70 yards. Courtney Taylor led all Auburn players with three catches for 22 yards.

LSU opened the game's scoring on the final play of the first half when Colt David connected on a 42-yard field goal.

The win gave Auburn four straight victories over LSU at Jordan-Hare Stadium and improved the Tigers' record to 7-1 over Associated Press top 10 teams since 2004.

Since the Tommy Tuberville era began in 1999, there has only been one occasion in the Auburn-LSU series in which a team has won back-to-back games, coming when Auburn won two straight in 1999 and 2000. Under Tuberville's guidance, the Tigers have not lost a game to the Bayou Bengals in Jordan-Hare Stadium, posting a 4-0 mark. The all-time series, which dates back to 1901, stood at 21-19-1 with LSU holding the upper hand following the 2006 meeting.

Tuberville's thoughts looking back...

"That was the most physical game I have ever been involved in. It wasn't anything but a "line up and run into each other" game. Neither team was going to try to be fancy. They had JaMarcus Russell at quarterback and we chased him. We wanted the ball to be in his hands but we wanted to put pressure with the ball in his hands. That's where we basically won the game on defense. Offensively we didn't do much. We didn't try to do a whole lot. That game is like that every year. It seems that when it is played in Auburn, it's a defensive game, and when we go to Baton Rouge it's an offensive game. It was a great game."

This is one of those games that looks ugly on paper, but man, was it fun to watch!

Amen! The game film should be a hand-out for anyone who thinks physical, defensive (i.e., SEC) football is boring. Hands down one of the most thrilling games I've witnessed in person. In fact, I'd probably rank it ahead of the 2004 (10-9) game, even though it wasn't as significant, ultimately. In the Tubs Top 5, though, in any case!

BTW, also one of great pre-game eagle flights I've seen. The LSU (and Auburn) fans near me were blown away . . .

WAR EAGLE!!! Nine more days!!!

:au:

Yeah, one of my favorites too! I remember feeling woozy and a little heartattacky throughout the entire game. I remember it taking me a couple of minutes after it was over to actually REALIZE that it was over! Yall are right, there was NOTHING even remotely boring about that game.......

MAN I CAN'T FREAKING WAIT TILL NEXT WEEKEND! HURRY UP!

Top ten wins vs. Highest ranked opponent (final ranking)

2006 Florida 27 17

2006 LSU 7 3

2001 Florida 23 20

2004 Georgia 24 6

2005 Alabama 28 18

2004 Va. Tech 16 13

2005 Georgia 31 30

2002 Alabama 17 7

2004 Tennessee 34 10

2004 Tennessee 38 28

The 2001 Florida-Auburn game was the most fun game on any level I have ever attended. The weather for that game was crazy. I remember looking at the flags in the endzone and not one of them was blowing in the same direction. At some point during the game, someone threw a a yellow poncho in the air which proceeded to float above the stadium in the middle of the field. Everyone in my section stared in silence at this poncho that seemed to hover motionless in the air for a few seconds. When it finally started raining in the 4th quarter, the rain drops would come down on one end of the stadium only to be blown out the other end without ever making you wet. I still have my ticket stub.

The 2001 Florida-Auburn game was the most fun game on any level I have ever attended. The weather for that game was crazy. I remember looking at the flags in the endzone and not one of them was blowing in the same direction. At some point during the game, someone threw a a yellow poncho in the air which proceeded to float above the stadium in the middle of the field. Everyone in my section stared in silence at this poncho that seemed to hover motionless in the air for a few seconds. When it finally started raining in the 4th quarter, the rain drops would come down on one end of the stadium only to be blown out the other end without ever making you wet. I still have my ticket stub.

Yeah I think that's what makes it so special/crazy for all of us that were there. To see how the rain was moving around before that kick and then see Duval absolutely nail it despite kicking it in about the direction of the corner of the endzone is one of the craziest things I've seen in football. Then there's the whole #1 thing, and Spurrier thing, and Spurrier attempting to punt on 3rd down only to be unsuccessful. I will never feel sorry for Spurrier losing any games at SC after how he played people while at Florida. I don't think Tuberville does either - see Spurriers 2nd largest margin of loss.

The 2006 AU/LSU was one of the most physical games I have ever seen in person, it was brutal. That game is easily in my Top 5, and I agree with the other posters there was nothing boring about that game.

No. 7

Nov. 19, 2005 - Auburn 28, Alabama 18

Click here for a printer friendly version Printer-Friendly Format

Click here to email to a friend E-mail this article

Aug. 21, 2008

Coach Tuberville's Top 10: Number 7

This summer, Auburn fans had the opportunity to vote on the Top 10 games during the Tommy Tuberville Era. Fans had 25 games to choose from during the month-long voting. Now, AuburnTigers.com will unveil how fans voted, with game recaps and video highlights daily Monday through Friday for the next two weeks, counting down from No. 10 to No. 1.....So sit back, relax and enjoy....Here's No. 7...

No. 7

Nov. 19, 2005 - Auburn 28, Alabama 18

Auburn won its fourth straight game over Alabama in convincing fashion, scoring three first-quarter touchdowns against the nation's top-ranked scoring defense and setting a school record with 11 sacks en route to a 28-18 victory over the No. 8 Crimson Tide at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

The victory gave the Tigers a share of the SEC Western Division crown for the fifth time in Tommy Tuberville's first seven years as head coach. The win also gave No. 11 Auburn its first four-game winning streak against the Crimson Tide since 1986-89, and marked Auburn's sixth win in its last seven games against top-10 teams.

The Tiger offense was led by running back Kenny Irons, who finished with 103 yards rushing -- his sixth straight game over the century mark -- and wide receiver Ben Obomanu, who had both a receiving and rushing touchdown. Quarterback Brandon Cox, meanwhile, finished 14-of-21 for 118 yards and two touchdowns.

The Auburn defense held the Crimson Tide (9-2, 6-2) to 188 total yards while collecting the school-record 11 sacks. Stanley McClover led the team with 3.5 sacks and four tackles for losses. Playing in their final game at Jordan-Hare Stadium, seniors T.J. Jackson and Antarrious Williams both recorded 1.5 sacks.

Obomanu opened the game's scoring with a 7-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter. It was the 18th of his career and moved him into sole possession of second place in AU history. The drive, which started on Alabama's 40-yard line, was highlighted by a 14-yard pass from Cox to Cooper Wallace. An Alabama personal foul pushed the Auburn offense ahead to the Tide 11-yard line and set up the Cox-to-Obomanu touchdown.

Alabama went three and out in its next possession and the Tigers capitalized. Starting on the Alabama 31-yard line, it took a rush by Irons and a 21-yard pass to Courtney Taylor for Auburn to get into the red zone. From eight yards out, Irons rushed up the middle for the score to give the Tigers an early 14-0 advantage.

Still in the first quarter, Alabama recorded its third negative drive in as many possessions and again, Auburn jumped on the opportunity.

After picking up one first down, Obomanu came up big with a 45-yard reverse, racing to the end zone for his second touchdown of the game to put Auburn in control, 21-0. His 45-yard rush was the longest of the game and was second longest rush of the 2005 season for the Tigers.

After being held to minus-46 yards on their first four possessions, the Crimson Tide scored their first points of the game early in the second quarter on a Tim Castille 1-yard touchdown run.

Cole Bennett finished Auburn's scoring with a 5-yard touchdown reception at the 2:07 mark of the second quarter. Cox found a pair of receivers for big gains twice in the drive, first completing a 19-yard pass to Anthony Mix and then hitting Devin Aromashodu over the middle for 21 yards.

Alabama attempted to catch the Tigers by adding a field goal in the third quarter and a 1-yard touchdown run by backup quarterback John Parker Wilson with 23 seconds left in the fourth, but the effort was too little, too late.

John Vaughn became Auburn's all-time leader in extra points made and attempted during the win, putting four extra points through the uprights to give him 127 PAT's in 128 attempts.

The game was also the last for long-time Auburn public address announcer Carl Stephens, who announced his retirement in March, 2006.

Tubberville's thoughts looking back...

"There's no doubt that in the Auburn-Alabama game, everybody regains everything that they felt they have lost during the season. They're beat up and tired, but they get a spring in their legs. Our defensive front was not going to be denied that night. We didn't blitz that much. It was usually a four-man rush and somebody beating somebody on their offensive line, and it just started from almost play number one. I didn't even think about it until then end when somebody told me that we got 11 sacks, because you're into the game. Even though we got that many sacks it was still a close game and a big Iron Bowl win for us.

"It was the end of the year and that's when you have to reach back for something extra, and that's what I'm saying about that game, both teams usually find that extra something. That night Stanley McClover was all over the place; we moved around a little bit and put him on different linemen. I thought our defensive coaches did a good job. That game is usually won in the trenches and it obviously was that night.

"Ben Obomanu is an Alabama product. I remember that first drive we ran a bootleg and Brandon (Cox) throws it in for a perfect strike. Then we run the reverse and it worked perfectly down the sideline. Then he made a great athletic play cutting back across the field and the only person that caught him was one of our guys running him down from behind trying to make a block. It was just the perfect night for us."

Always puts a smile on my face

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NJtDtb_1ZQ

You can never see enough Brodie sack montages. That was one of those games that good things just kept happening.

"In every game this season on their first offensive snap Alabama has thrown a pass and in every game this season they have completed the pass. They're going for the 11th." Sack 1 of 11. :roflol:

That 2005 Alabama game was great...I couldn't believe how we got after Brodie. On the other hand, I hope to never see another game like 2006 LSU...I am waaaaaaaaaayyyy too young to have a heart attack. I can't take many of those. I was so on edge during that game that all I could do was sit on the couch and stare; couldn't even talk to anyone.

That 2005 Alabama game was great...I couldn't believe how we got after Brodie. On the other hand, I hope to never see another game like 2006 LSU...I am waaaaaaaaaayyyy too young to have a heart attack. I can't take many of those. I was so on edge during that game that all I could do was sit on the couch and stare; couldn't even talk to anyone.

good lord, i know. being at that game gave me heartburn so bad i had to leave...i thought i was going to have an alien burst out of my chest. jogged home for the tums and watched us win, then sprinted out to toomer's. that game was insane.

... On the other hand, I hope to never see another game like 2006 LSU...I am waaaaaaaaaayyyy too young to have a heart attack. I can't take many of those. I was so on edge during that game that all I could do was sit on the couch and stare; couldn't even talk to anyone.

good lord, i know. being at that game gave me heartburn so bad i had to leave...i thought i was going to have an alien burst out of my chest. jogged home for the tums and watched us win, then sprinted out to toomer's. that game was insane.

I watched it with friends who literally thought they were going to have to call 911 to get an ambulance for me, and I wasn't so sure that they might not be correct. Even among my friends I'm known as a pretty quiet fan. They wondered if I had been possessed by some demon during the last two quarters of that [LSU 2006] game!

My personal choice for the most fun I've had during any of CTT's games: absolutely "Honk if You Sacked Brodie". I was hilariously giddy the entire time.

I went to the game with two friends from law school. One had gone to UVA undergrad and I had converted him to being an Auburn fan. The other had gone to Bama undergrad.

It was a fantastic game for two of us. :cheer:

The best part of that game was how it sent up every mouth breather that said, "We'd of won that Iron Bowl if Brodie hadn't been hurt," for the two previous years. They got what they wanted that year. I think it worked out well.

Archived