108 University of Tennessee Knoxville, TN Score 38

116 University of Kentucky Lexington, KY Score 36

125 University of Arkansas Fayetteville, AR Score 34

130 Louisiana State University--Baton Rouge Baton Rouge, LA Score 32

UR Mississippi State University Mississippi State, MS

UR University of Mississippi University, MS

Didn't realize LSU was so bad..

We are top 50 Public

I believe this represents Public and Private (since Vandy is on the list)

What is disappointing is that Bama has overtaken us these last two years :no:

I don't know how the hell they are ranked ahead of us. Overall, we have better programs and higher test scores for incoming freshmen.

We are top 50 Public

I don't know how the hell they are ranked ahead of us. Overall, we have better programs and higher test scores for incoming freshmen.

Guess it's 'cause they have "The Most Powerful Coach in Sports".. :blink::puke:

We are top 50 Public

Guess it's 'cause they have "The Most Powerful Coach in Sports".. :blink::puke:

But hey......DONT FORGET.........Bammers DO NOT, AND I REPEAT.....DO NOT.....WORSHIP HIM!

:ua::no::hail: CNS........ (At least that's what Birmingham and Bamamyheart are saying) !!!!!

As for you two.......I know I bust yall's chops alot, but hey, it's football season and I'm just jabbing at yall. Don't take it to heart! Jab back!

This is a ranking of public and private universities, but yes, Auburn has been sliding in recent years. For many years Auburn was ranked ahead of Alabama. A couple of years ago, Bama and Auburn were tied. The last two years, Auburn has been behind Alabama.

I know these rankings are not a be-all and end-all, but the downward trend over time is very disturbing. We are currently barely hanging on in the top 100. I would like to see us move up a bit and hopefully overtake Alabama. I would like to see us on par with Georgia and Florida, but that is going to be difficult with state funding cuts.

I guess these kind of ratings don't mean much since Auburn is having to turn away lots of kids while bama is recruiting to get more.

Guest BoStillKnows

It sounds like a big difference in rankings but UA was in a six-way tie at 42 points, there was a seven way tie at 41 and Auburn was 40.

I guess these kind of ratings don't mean much since Auburn is having to turn away lots of kids while bama is recruiting to get more.

Alabama wants to grow. Auburn apparently doesn't. There's nothing wrong with that, either. Expanding has both negatives and positives.

Driving in Tuscaloosa traffic was bad enough with only 20,000 students.

Alabama wants to grow. Auburn apparently doesn't. There's nothing wrong with that, either. Expanding has both negatives and positives.

Driving in Tuscaloosa traffic was bad enough with only 20,000 students.

Win, ignorant statements aren't received lightly.

1 - Size only matters if its head coach cardboard cutouts. The relative difference in the size of AU and UA is negligible. Besides, look at Vandy and other smaller schools.

2 - The Auburn campus is covered over with construction, creating new space for classes, student life, research, and administration.

You should have sat this one out.

He's actually kind of right. Bama made a huge fundraising push to help fuel a plan to increase enrollment to something like 25K (they used to be smaller than Auburn... the enrollment number was around 18 or 19 in the late 90's). That's been the driving force behind their increase in the rankings. I know some of the stuff they have used to rank schools in the past is alumni donations (which would increase anytime you have a massive fundraising push) and selectivity matters, even though they have more students now they get a LOT more applications (most U of schools do) so they still have a lower acceptance rate. You're splitting hairs between the schools at this point (when it comes to academics). UA is better at some stuff; AU is better at other stuff.

I still wouldn't live in Tuscaloosa if you paid me.

PS. Auburn hasn't been sliding. We're static. Bama has been moving up.

He's actually kind of right. Bama made a huge fundraising push to help fuel a plan to increase enrollment to something like 25K (they used to be smaller than Auburn... the enrollment number was around 18 or 19 in the late 90's). That's been the driving force behind their increase in the rankings. I know some of the stuff they have used to rank schools in the past is alumni donations (which would increase anytime you have a massive fundraising push) and selectivity matters, even though they have more students now they get a LOT more applications (most U of schools do) so they still have a lower acceptance rate. You're splitting hairs between the schools at this point (when it comes to academics). UA is better at some stuff; AU is better at other stuff.

I still wouldn't live in Tuscaloosa if you paid me.

PS. Auburn hasn't been sliding. We're static. Bama has been moving up.

I think that your second point is more true. Because of a really good program that targets top Scholars, Alabama has been able to get many of the best students in the state. I think that is a larger determinant than population and donorship (afterall, we just raised 500 mil).

They do cite population on the website, and it seems that population plays a role in how the outcomes are measured. However, I think that it is used on the website as much as descriptor as anything else.

For example, when the US News and World Reports produces a story on the best coaches in America, they may cite that CTT is taller than CNS. While that is funny and apparently a sore subject with little Napolean, it would be more of a descriptor. The statement of Tuberville leading the head to head record (which is what, 4-2) would be better proof of his being a better coach.

Has the State of Alabama ever considered doing what the State of Georgia did with HOPE?

Honestly, I know very little about it so if it has some huge negative, I have no idea

Has the State of Alabama ever considered doing what the State of Georgia did with HOPE?

Honestly, I know very little about it so if it has some huge negative, I have no idea

Sorta kinda. But there are too many in Alabama that think we'll all be damned to hell if we institute an education lottery.

And rft, I wasn't taking a swipe at Auburn. A degree from either school has never been any better than one from its rival across the state.

I remember when they voted down the education lottery in Alabama. Many sources cited how much Alabamians were funding Hope and the Florida lottery but I don't think it was even a close vote. I didn't agree at the time but look at Hope now. It's no where near the program it was when it first started.

I'm sort of torn about the whole subject. I see the long lines full of people who should be benefiting from the lottery instead funding it and I know hardly anyone who actually plays the lottery. I never did and I wouldn't now if we didn't start a family tradition of buying scratch offs for everyone in the car whenever we go on long trips and every time we enter a new state. BTW, the state of South Carolina owes me three dollars.

I have heard of many states who successfully fund education for its residents. Doesn't everyone in Ohio get a ride at Ohio St? And I've heard California has a good program. Even in its reduced state Hope is helping a lot of students go to college. Too bad my kids will not get to take advantage of it. I've told them they could go to any school they chose. Their tuition is going to Auburn though ;)

And rft, I wasn't taking a swipe at Auburn. A degree from either school has never been any better than one from its rival across the state.

I hear ya'. I really didn't hear it as a swipe, but my skin is a little thin on the academic bit. Alabama has taken strides in getting top students that Auburn hasn't quite made.

Hopefully, we are on our way to taking some of those steps.

You're splitting hairs between the schools at this point (when it comes to academics). UA is better at some stuff; AU is better at other stuff.

Thank you. I've also been saying this for years. I honestly don't think you'd get a better education overall at one vs the other...regardless of rankings.

And link, we had an education lottery up for vote a few years ago...one of the biggest problems with it was that the voters weren't happy with how the money was going to be distributed. If I'm remembering correctly, it wasn't setup just like HOPE is.

I remember when they voted down the education lottery in Alabama. Many sources cited how much Alabamians were funding Hope and the Florida lottery but I don't think it was even a close vote. I didn't agree at the time but look at Hope now. It's no where near the program it was when it first started.

I'm sort of torn about the whole subject. I see the long lines full of people who should be benefiting from the lottery instead funding it and I know hardly anyone who actually plays the lottery. I never did and I wouldn't now if we didn't start a family tradition of buying scratch offs for everyone in the car whenever we go on long trips and every time we enter a new state. BTW, the state of South Carolina owes me three dollars.

I have heard of many states who successfully fund education for its residents. Doesn't everyone in Ohio get a ride at Ohio St? And I've heard California has a good program. Even in its reduced state Hope is helping a lot of students go to college. Too bad my kids will not get to take advantage of it. I've told them they could go to any school they chose. Their tuition is going to Auburn though ;)

Having lived in Florida for the past 35 years (after growing up in the great state of Alabama) and having worked in the public school system here for the past 33 years I think I comment on how the Florida Lottery has helped in Florida. As far as helping elementary and secondary education.....the lottery funds do go here but the supplant, not supplement the state funding. Florida has a program called Bright Futures which pays for tuition in a state supported institute of higher education for students who graduate with a specified GPA and continue to do so as long as they maintain a specified GPA in under-grad. It helps, my younger daughter used it. The older one graduated before it began. She attended Auburn back in the day when you could actually earn in-state residency. So the lottery has helped somewhat, but it's not the be all and end all it is purported to be.

Archived