CFN Blog: Bama Is Not Back

DKW 86

http://cfn.scout.com/2/775876.html

574959.jpg

Alabama has been getting some publicity this year as a dark horse to win the SEC West. However, there is no reason to believe that the Crimson Tide will be anything more than a middle-of-the-road SEC team in 2008.

It started with that one eventful day back in January 2007 at Tuscaloosa Regional Airport. Gone were the miserable days of Mike Shula. Gone were the trips to Shreveport. Gone was the losing streak to Auburn. Nick Saban had arrived. Bama was back. 11 months, another loss to Auburn, a 6-6 record and a trip to Shreveport later, it was more of the same.

Fast-forward to the present, and you find the Crimson Tide preparing for the 2008 campaign with question marks abound. Alabama enters 2008 with a new offensive coordinator in Jim McElwain, endured a tumultuous off-season that included several arrests, and returns only five starters on a defense that was mid-pack in the conference in total defense in 2007. Couple all of that with John Parker Wilson, who has been consistently inconsistent during his first three years in Tuscaloosa, and you have a Crimson Tide team that’s resurgence has been greatly exaggerated.

That’s not to say that Wilson can’t break through in 2008 to have a fine senior season. Four of Alabama’s starters return on the offensive line, including All-SEC OT Andre Smith. Plus Wilson has shown flashes of brilliance in the past, most notably in a big home win against eventual SEC East champ Tennessee in 2007. And there’s certainly a precedent for improvement in the play of senior QB’s in the SEC. Jason Campbell and Andre Woodson both have done it recently. However, his performance, arguably, is the determining factor on whether Bama will be “back,” or back to the drawing board.

Fans of the Crimson Tide will tell you that they were on the brink last season. Sure, the 7-6 record was not what Nick Saban had envisioned in his first year, but they didn’t lose a game by more than a touchdown. However, take a closer look, and you will see a four-game losing streak to end the regular season, a scare at home against the Houston Cougars, a flat-out robbery against Ole Miss, and a homecoming loss to Louisiana-Monroe. Alabama could have been 10-3. They also very easily could have been 4-8 and sitting at home during bowl season.

The 2008 season finds the Crimson Tide with a difficult path to Atlanta. Road tests against LSU, Tennessee and Georgia will all be major tests, to say the least. Add in a stellar out-of-conference opener at the Georgia Dome against ACC-favorite Clemson and the ever-present Iron Bowl, a game in which the Tide hasn’t won since 2001, and it’s tough to find any reason other than “hope” to think that the Tide will rise in 2008. But, for whatever reason, “hope” does currently seem to be permeating our decision-making this year.

There’s no doubt that, at some point, Alabama will be back and competing for SEC Titles. However, 2008 is a bit premature to start crafting that SEC Championship ring. Lack of depth, lack of experience and a tough schedule will make this year’s version of the Crimson Tide an 8-4 team at best.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/775876.html

574959.jpg

Alabama has been getting some publicity this year as a dark horse to win the SEC West. However, there is no reason to believe that the Crimson Tide will be anything more than a middle-of-the-road SEC team in 2008.

It started with that one eventful day back in January 2007 at Tuscaloosa Regional Airport. Gone were the miserable days of Mike Shula. Gone were the trips to Shreveport. Gone was the losing streak to Auburn. Nick Saban had arrived. Bama was back. 11 months, another loss to Auburn, a 6-6 record and a trip to Shreveport later, it was more of the same.

Fast-forward to the present, and you find the Crimson Tide preparing for the 2008 campaign with question marks abound. Alabama enters 2008 with a new offensive coordinator in Jim McElwain, endured a tumultuous off-season that included several arrests, and returns only five starters on a defense that was mid-pack in the conference in total defense in 2007. Couple all of that with John Parker Wilson, who has been consistently inconsistent during his first three years in Tuscaloosa, and you have a Crimson Tide team that’s resurgence has been greatly exaggerated.

That’s not to say that Wilson can’t break through in 2008 to have a fine senior season. Four of Alabama’s starters return on the offensive line, including All-SEC OT Andre Smith. Plus Wilson has shown flashes of brilliance in the past, most notably in a big home win against eventual SEC East champ Tennessee in 2007. And there’s certainly a precedent for improvement in the play of senior QB’s in the SEC. Jason Campbell and Andre Woodson both have done it recently. However, his performance, arguably, is the determining factor on whether Bama will be “back,” or back to the drawing board.

Fans of the Crimson Tide will tell you that they were on the brink last season. Sure, the 7-6 record was not what Nick Saban had envisioned in his first year, but they didn’t lose a game by more than a touchdown. However, take a closer look, and you will see a four-game losing streak to end the regular season, a scare at home against the Houston Cougars, a flat-out robbery against Ole Miss, and a homecoming loss to Louisiana-Monroe. Alabama could have been 10-3. They also very easily could have been 4-8 and sitting at home during bowl season.

The 2008 season finds the Crimson Tide with a difficult path to Atlanta. Road tests against LSU, Tennessee and Georgia will all be major tests, to say the least. Add in a stellar out-of-conference opener at the Georgia Dome against ACC-favorite Clemson and the ever-present Iron Bowl, a game in which the Tide hasn’t won since 2001, and it’s tough to find any reason other than “hope” to think that the Tide will rise in 2008. But, for whatever reason, “hope” does currently seem to be permeating our decision-making this year.

There’s no doubt that, at some point, Alabama will be back and competing for SEC Titles. However, 2008 is a bit premature to start crafting that SEC Championship ring. Lack of depth, lack of experience and a tough schedule will make this year’s version of the Crimson Tide an 8-4 team at best.

Exactly what I have said previously on this board...and I stand by it. If they go better than 8-4 with THAT defense, I will be absolutely SHOCKED.

:au::homer:

I can't stand when writers use the phrase "flashes of brilliance." Nothing John Wilson has ever done was brilliant. However, I do agree with the over all premise of the article.

Please, don't be so harsh. Sally Jesse has shown "flashes of brilliance" in executing the "fetal position" or the qb "dive" in taking multiple sacks each and every week. He learned well from brodie.

I can't stand when writers use the phrase "flashes of brilliance." Nothing John Wilson has ever done was brilliant. However, I do agree with the over all premise of the article.

I believe they are referring to the Tennessee game of last year.

Alabama has been getting some publicity this year as a dark horse to win the SEC West.
However, 2008 is a bit premature to start crafting that SEC Championship ring

So we go from a darkhorse pick by some to the odds on favorite that is already ordering our rings for 2008.

Yeah well try telling that to a :ua: fan.

If you do of course you get the excuses.

Will it ever end?

Yes. It will end in October 2009 when Nickpoleon bails on them to take over at Penn State.

Bama is as much a threat to win the West as MSU. Both teams would have a to be insanely lucky AND the top two teams in the West would have to backup to them. It would have to be a 2001 LSU type year where the winner of the West was no better than 5-3.

I also agree that nothing JPW has ever done has been brilliant. I'd be more likely to use the words serviceable or good or all-conference. Brilliant is reserved for the Tebows and Staffords. Stafford has shown flashes of brilliance. Wilson has never shown flashes of Stafford.

Nutt being at Ole Miss puts them on par with Bama. Saban may be a better coach but Nutt has more talent (did I really just type that?) The Big O left some nice talent.

Regardless what you think of Bobby P as a person (scumbag) he is a very good coach and I fully expect Arkansas to finish 3rd behind Auburn and LSU in the West.

MSU may not have the better coach, but they certainly have the more honorable one. And as with Ark and Miss they have more talent, too. I see Bama as a .500 team. They should finish somewhere between 4th and 6th in the West. 8 - 4 would be a miracle. Saban, despite being a raving psycopath, is a good coach. I guess it is not outside the realm of possability - it just isn't probable.

Nutt being at Ole Miss puts them on par with Bama. Saban may be a better coach but Nutt has more talent (did I really just type that?) The Big O left some nice talent.

Regardless what you think of Bobby P as a person (scumbag) he is a very good coach and I fully expect Arkansas to finish 3rd behind Auburn and LSU in the West.

MSU may not have the better coach, but they certainly have the more honorable one. And as with Ark and Miss they have more talent, too. I see Bama as a .500 team. They should finish somewhere between 4th and 6th in the West. 8 - 4 would be a miracle. Saban, despite being a raving psycopath, is a good coach. I guess it is not outside the realm of possability - it just isn't probable.

MSU will finish better than BAMA IMHO. Is NickpoleonTM a good game day coach? I'm not so sure of that. I don't think Arky is going to be a huge threat this year. I've lurked their boards some, and they are not too optimistic. They apparently feel they have great DE's though.

MSU will finish better than BAMA IMHO. Is NickpoleonTM a good game day coach? I'm not so sure of that. I don't think Arky is going to be a huge threat this year. I've lurked their boards some, and they are not too optimistic. They apparently feel they have great DE's though.

What makes your opinion the gospel and how it will come down? I can say that Auburn will lose 4 games, and not have a chance in hell of winning the West, but that doesn't make it true. Settle back, relax, and watch the games, and all of it will be shown to you. You know nothing at this time, but your opinion.

You are basing an opinion on how you thing young men between the ages of 18-22/23 will respond, and they can not be easily predicted.

I have to agree with Bamamyheart. Lets kick back and watch, the time for predictions is over, the time for the teams to prove it on the field is here.

My excitement level is so high right now that anything less than an sec championship ring for Auburn will be a let down, but reality is keeping me a bit grounded.

What makes your opinion the gospel and how it will come down? I can say that Auburn will lose 4 games, and not have a chance in hell of winning the West, but that doesn't make it true. Settle back, relax, and watch the games, and all of it will be shown to you. You know nothing at this time, but your opinion.

You are basing an opinion on how you thing young men between the ages of 18-22/23 will respond, and they can not be easily predicted.

BMH nominated for DUMBEST POST OF THE CENTURY.

And Tiger Heat nominated for the dumbest response of the century. If my post was so dumb, why did one of your own fan base agree with the post? I don't think Bama is back, because we haven't been anywhere.

Bama nor any other school will have the records like we did in the past, but we will be able to compete .

If Bama is trying to come back to where we have been , then Auburn is trying to get where they never have been.

And Tiger Heat nominated for the dumbest response of the century. If my post was so dumb, why did one of your own fan base agree with the post? I don't think Bama is back, because we haven't been anywhere.

Bama nor any other school will have the records like we did in the past, but we will be able to compete .

If Bama is trying to come back to where we have been , then Auburn is trying to get where they never have been.

Your right, tiger heat was way off, THAT was the dumbest post of the century. Bama's never been anywhere? They haven't been in the lower half of the SEC? They haven't been on the losing end of six consecutive Iron Bowls? They haven't lost to the likes of UCF, UAB and ULM in recent years? If you don't think Bama has been anywhere you are dreaming.

Furthermore, your right Auburn is trying to reach new heights, trying to be among the USC's and OU's of the world, teams that are in the top 5 year after year.

Your right, tiger heat was way off, THAT was the dumbest post of the century. Bama's never been anywhere? They haven't been in the lower half of the SEC? They haven't been on the losing end of six consecutive Iron Bowls? They haven't lost to the likes of UCF, UAB and ULM in recent years? If you don't think Bama has been anywhere you are dreaming.

Furthermore, your right Auburn is trying to reach new heights, trying to be among the USC's and OU's of the world, teams that are in the top 5 year after year.

When did Bama play UAB? You're right, I should have stated that I don't feel that Bama has been anywhere, and Auburn has, you know how it feels to be in the lower half of the SEC, so it's only fair that you can advise us on this.

When did Bama play UAB? You're right, I should have stated that I don't feel that Bama has been anywhere, and Auburn has, you know how it feels to be in the lower half of the SEC, so it's only fair that you can advise us on this.

Nice jab, unfortunately your still swinging at wind. You can come back and take a few more swings once you get your team back in our weight class. :poke:

Nice jab, unfortunately your still swinging at wind. You can come back and take a few more swings once you get your team back in our weight class. :poke:

OK, no problem.

Wow..talk about lack of reading comprehension. BMH, is it that time of the month for you, or do you really have some anger management issues to work out? Tigerheat was voicing an opinion on what he thought about the situation, nothing more. Never once did he say it was gospel or anything remotely close to it. Go take your medication and calm down. No reason to get in a fit...geez...

Archived