We need a #1 QB

AUHansel

I said this before and I'll say it again....PICK A QB ALREADY! I'm tired of this already. They kept everyone in the dark long enough. Rotating series is detrimental to a team. I understand that they want someone to separate himself, but I think they need to pick a #1. The QB can't get into a rhythm passing, with the o-line, or with the receivers. I don't mind bringing someone in for a change of pace, but I still think we need someone to get at least 70 percent of the snaps. If we can put up some early points next week, I say we give each guy three or four series in a row.

I haven't gotten to watch the game yet. I'll do that tonight. All I've heard so far is that the QB play wasn't great by any means. I read the quote by CTF. Southern Miss is a lot better than La Monroe. We won't be able to rush for 300 yards, and score TD's on D and special teams. We've got one more game before conference play and two before LSU. Let's figure out who our QB is and work out the kinks now.

I really like what our team could be able to do this season. I just really don't think a two-QB system caters to our team or any team for that matter. If we don't work this out next week I feel this team will continue to have problems. I'm happy with the win, but just frustrated with not having a #1 QB.

I disagree. I watched the game last night, and you are right in one part of your post. The qb play was nothing special. To me, neither KB or CT showed that they deserve to be #1. I say that they should play it out in these next few games. We need the qb to win the job, and no one has done that yet. In fact, I was hoping to see Caudle thrown in there in the fourth, just to see another one.

With that said, I don't think that we saw much of the offense last night. Very few qb runs were called, and we didn't do too much shifting or motion (of course, CTF may not ever do much shifting or motion).

I think the goal was to execute basic plays, but neither qb seemed able to do that in the first half.

kodi burns was the better fit for our offense last night. LaMo was playing the pass all night allowing kodi to run.

Burns needs to be the guy. I was there to see the game and KB has alot of growing to do, but he is the better of the two. CT looked awful. He is unable to spot open receivers, even when he has all day and his timing is off. He also does not plant his back foot when he throws. KB made alot better decisions and is alot more dynamic. However, his passing has got to get better. I believe that Auburn wasted a scholarship on CT. Hope I'm wrong.

I think we all try too hard to support every AU player and this smacks of drinking entirely too much kool aide. Kodi is a true sophmore and is the more dangerous of the two QB.

Todd should be groomed to be a serviceable backup to spell KB when he makes long runs or gets dinged. Kodi should be getting the snaps and held accountable to improve so he can lead this ofense.

IMO, this would work best for us. But then again, I get paid for something other than coaching football.

I think we all try too hard to support every AU player and this smacks of drinking entirely too much kool aide. Kodi is a true sophmore and is the more dangerous of the two QB.

Todd should be groomed to be a serviceable backup to spell KB when he makes long runs or gets dinged. Kodi should be getting the snaps and held accountable to improve so he can lead this ofense.

IMO, this would work best for us. But then again, I get paid for something other than coaching football.

I agree.

I re-watched the game this morning and took away a few new observations:

Kodi was inches away from having a pretty decent game. The deep pass that should've been caught, and the catch in the endzone where rod smiths foot was just barely on the line, where if converted would've completely changed our opinions around. In addition, the offense kind of got rolling in the second half, but kodi was already out.

On the other hand, Todd was inches from having a terrible game. He threw into coverage multiple times, and had possible int's dropped. He showed zero running ability.

I will say this for Todd: he showed a real positive attitude. Lester dropped a short swing pass to bring up 4th down, but Todd went right up to him to offer his support. There were a couple other examples of this from Todd.

Todd's clearly a good guy, but Kodi is #1.

What separated the two was their decision making. Kodi's throws were right on (it's not his fault WRs can't catch). But in terms of decision making, he threw it out of bounds instead of in traffic. Even on third down, he would do this - very smart. He knew when to tuck and run - I was just very impressed with his poise and decision making.

We heard all preseason that the two would share duties. In my "Mark my Words" I claimed that a starter would be named by the end of the LSU game. It will be Kodi Burns.

Tuberville needs to making a head coaching decision and take this crap of CT being TF's boy and name KB the starter. He has more experience and it was very obvious he deserves to be the man.

if there is no real clear difference in the qb's then pick one and go with it. Auburn's been down this

dead end road before.

I re-watched the game this morning and took away a few new observations:

Kodi was inches away from having a pretty decent game. The deep pass that should've been caught, and the catch in the endzone where rod smiths foot was just barely on the line, where if converted would've completely changed our opinions around. In addition, the offense kind of got rolling in the second half, but kodi was already out.

On the other hand, Todd was inches from having a terrible game. He threw into coverage multiple times, and had possible int's dropped. He showed zero running ability.

I will say this for Todd: he showed a real positive attitude. Lester dropped a short swing pass to bring up 4th down, but Todd went right up to him to offer his support. There were a couple other examples of this from Todd.

Todd's clearly a good guy, but Kodi is #1.

Great post! Sums it up very nicely!

I agree that we need a #1 with a #2 getting significant back up time due to the pace of the offense.

What we don't need is the one series in and one out alternating crap. That is just plain stupid. Let each one stay in for 2 0r three series or a quarter before rotating.

I think Todd is not who we want until he can see the difference in jersy colors because he was making wild throws we can't afford to make. Kodi is the type i want making three third down conversions on the ground more often. Maybe Todd will turn out alright, but he's not the guy i get the feeling will make winning decisions. My two cents... WDE!!!

I see things differently. I did not see enough from either guy to make a call on who should be the #1. Kodi made some good plays, but we did not see enough of him passing to know if his accuracy has improved or not. Todd, on the other hand, made some bad passes, them at the end made some good passes. So, does that mean he got the first game jitters out of him or does that mean he will be like that every game? What if Todd continues against Southern Miss like he ended the game against ULM, but Kodi still show problems with his accuracy? Who do you say is the #1 then? Todd is a very good QB or CTT would not have signed him and CTF would not be even considering him as a starter. That is why I don't think you can't make that decision based on this first game and we need to trust the coaches on this one because they see these two for more then one game against ULM.

For this spread offense to work, we have to have a QB that can pass and run. Kodi Burns is the more mobile QB, so if he can show he is more accurate now, then he should be the obvious #1. Right now, nothing if obvious if you ask me. Ever thing the coaches are making it that one because they want Kodi to work harder on his passing or either they want both QBs to work extra hard for the position? Of course you would not want that to go on for too long, because it can possibly split the locker room, but I don't see a problem with doing it this way this early in the season.

I agree we didn't see much as far as accuracy throwing down field. I do believe the recievers should have caught several balls from each QB. Slaughter had two passes from KB and I believe Lester had a flare pass that could have made the passing totals better. I just think you have to give a guy at least several series in a row for them to react to the speed of the game and settle down. If we are going to swap them out that much we might as well let Caudle get some playing time as well.

Yeah, the one dropped pass that stands out in my mind is the one that Lester dropped. I think I remember the defense being fooled and Lester had a good bit of open field if he would have caught that pass. I can't remember which QB threw that pass, but it definitely should have been caught and Lester usually has very reliable hands coming out of the backfield.

Best post of the day

:au::football::homer:

I'm watching the game right now. I haven't decided who I think is the better of the two, mainly because I'm partial to Kodi for what he did last season. CT doesn't look all that great but neither does KB.

I just think they have to give each QB at least 3 or 4 series in a row to let them get in a rhythm. CTF said he made a mistake rotating the QB's and basically he needs to give them time to get in a rhythm.

I said this before and I'll say it again....PICK A QB ALREADY! I'm tired of this already. They kept everyone in the dark long enough. Rotating series is detrimental to a team. I understand that they want someone to separate himself, but I think they need to pick a #1. The QB can't get into a rhythm passing, with the o-line, or with the receivers. I don't mind bringing someone in for a change of pace, but I still think we need someone to get at least 70 percent of the snaps. If we can put up some early points next week, I say we give each guy three or four series in a row.

I haven't gotten to watch the game yet. I'll do that tonight. All I've heard so far is that the QB play wasn't great by any means. I read the quote by CTF. Southern Miss is a lot better than La Monroe. We won't be able to rush for 300 yards, and score TD's on D and special teams. We've got one more game before conference play and two before LSU. Let's figure out who our QB is and work out the kinks now.

I really like what our team could be able to do this season. I just really don't think a two-QB system caters to our team or any team for that matter. If we don't work this out next week I feel this team will continue to have problems. I'm happy with the win, but just frustrated with not having a #1 QB.

Where is Blake Fields?

I think we should definitely go with Campbell, Cobb didn't show me too much and I know he has experience and all, but it just looked like we should stick with Campbell. He has alot of potential as far as seeing the open field and recievers. He's our future so lets let him grow with and into the system.

WDE!

After watching the game... I say we just put Kodi Burns as starter.. let him play most of the game. Maybe let Todd come in to give KB a breather.

Kodi Burns just looked like the better one IMO... When Ben Tate mentioned that he thought that the QB decision was a no-brainer.. I think I know who he was talking about.. KB

It didn't look to me like that was the offense we are going to see this season. I got a 'scrimmage' type feeling where the coaches used this game as live practice to see how things worked out. I can't imagine that the plan going into the season is to substitute qbs by series.

And I also don't think the coaches were able to get good reads on the qbs due to the many drops. Burns had the deep pass dropped and threw a pretty nice ball to the endzone off his back foot. Todd had that pass to Lester dropped which looked like a big gainer but instead killed the drive. Todd did seem to settle in when Burns went to the locker room and Burns looked very good on the ground which opens him up to more passing opportunities. There seemed to be very little over the middle passing but I haven't watched a replay yet.

I expect Burns to start next game and play two series before Todd comes in. Or Todd to spell Burns after a big run. I'd be very surprised to see that sort of practice rotation again.

Yeah, the one dropped pass that stands out in my mind is the one that Lester dropped. I think I remember the defense being fooled and Lester had a good bit of open field if he would have caught that pass. I can't remember which QB threw that pass, but it definitely should have been caught and Lester usually has very reliable hands coming out of the backfield.

Hell, slaughter had a bomb pass right between his hands, untouched as well. Dunn dropped a short over the middle pass that smacked him right in the hands.

"In addition, the offense kind of got rolling in the second half, but kodi was already out."

Had to chuckle @ that one being posted by a Kodi proponent.

Coming to any hard conclusions based on THIS game is a little foolish. It's like saying Kevin Garnett's better than Kobi Bryant based on a game of H.O.R.S.E.

I agree we do need to settle on one or the other, Octoberish.

I totally agree! Most coaches vehemently oppose using a two QB system because of the timing and confidence problem. Todd may have a knowledge of the system but Kodi has the tools. All he needs is work, work and work. We tried t his in the past with Jason and Cobb and the results was disasterous! Come on TF and CTT!

Archived