Great Expectations

ProgRock

Let's keep it short a first so everybody doesn't have two pages worth.So for now what are three of your expectations for Auburn football.

1)Hard Nose Football.I expect losses every now and then,but I want the other team to know that they don't want to play us again anytime soon.and that counts on both sides of the ball.No playing not to lose mentalitly.We play to win.

2) No blowouts. maybe one every 3 to 5 years..there's just no excuse for them,were a top tier team,we should match up with anybody.I'm tired of the underdog roll...it shouldn't be an upset if we beat anyone.

3)We should win at least 8 games a year every year.Any thing below 8 should be considered subpar unless our schedule is all top ten teams or something.

Who's next? War Eagle

Let's keep it short a first so everybody doesn't have two pages worth.So for now what are three of your expectations for Auburn football.

1)Hard Nose Football.I expect losses every now and then,but I want the other team to know that they don't want to play us again anytime soon.and that counts on both sides of the ball.No playing not to lose mentalitly.We play to win.

2) No blowouts. maybe one every 3 to 5 years..there's just no excuse for them,were a top tier team,we should match up with anybody.I'm tired of the underdog roll...it shouldn't be an upset if we beat anyone.

3)We should win at least 8 games a year every year.Any thing below 8 should be considered subpar unless our schedule is all top ten teams or something.

Who's next? War Eagle

That sounds great, but I'm not sure that any SEC team meets all of that criteria. In case you haven't noticed, this is a tuff league. Maybe only USC in the PAthetiC 10 meets that criteria in the entire D1. My question is: Since NO SEC team meets the criteria, would you be dissatisfied and DEMAND changes if you were a fan at any of the other SEC schools?

When is the last time Fla or LSU didn't win 8 games?How about UGA when's the last time they haven't won 8 games?

Being a tough team is a lot to ask for?

Blowout losses(let me say a blow out to me is 20 points or more) once every 3 years too much to ask?

Wow you think low....

It would seem you would be easy to please...but somehow I think you have high expectations for me. :rolleyes:

I did some researching and came to find since 2002 LSU FLA and UGA all have won at least 8 games every year with the exception of FLA in 2004 in which I belive there was a coaching change and you see how well that came to be 2 years later.Even Arkansas was only two years out of the six not winning eight games.

So yeah it can be done LSU FLA and UGA are proving it for going on 7 years straight.

When is the last time Fla or LSU didn't win 8 games?How about UGA when's the last time they haven't won 8 games?

Blowout losses(let me say a blow out to me is 20 points or more) once every 3 years too much to ask?

Wow you think low....

It would seem you would be easy to please...but somehow I think you have high expectations for me. :rolleyes:

Georgia last won less than 8 in back to back seasons in !995, 1996.

Since that time Florida has lost less than 8 once, in 2004.

LSU did it in back to back seasons in 1998, 1999.

Auburn has done it twice also, in 1998 and 2001.

While Georgia has has gone the longest in losing less than 8, Florida and LSU have both won MNCs during that time.

So your point is?

Wow you think low....

Georgia last won less than 8 in back to back seasons in !995, 1996.

Since that time Florida has lost less than 8 once, in 2004.

LSU did it in back to back seasons in 1998, 1999.

Auburn has done it twice also, in 1998 and 2001.

While Georgia has has gone the longest in losing less than 8, Florida and LSU have both won MNCs during that time.

So your point is?

My point is 8 games a season should be a reasonable goal for a team like Auburn under normal circumstances baring injuries etc.... I think Hoopie is believing that it is not reasonable?

I think two or more of the 7 or less win seasons and some changes might need to be taken.Not necessarily a HC but something changed.

Interesting on LSU's back to back 1998 and 1999 was there a coaching change at that time?uhmm

Interesting on LSU's back to back 1998 and 1999 was there a coaching change at that time?uhmm

Well yeah, but they went 4-7 and 3-8 in back to back seasons, so it wasn't exactly getting rid of him for only winning 7 games in a season.

Agreed.

Seems a tad unrealistic. For instance, LSU got blown out once in 2000, twice in 2001, three times in 2002, none in 2003, once in 2004, once in 2005, none in 2006, none in 2007. That's about once a year for them and that's only spanning the Saban and Miles eras.

Georgia was blown out none in 2001, none in 2002, once in 2003, once in 2004, none in 2005, once in 2006, once in 2007. So that's one every other year. A bit better.

Florida (I'll go further to 1995 to get more years under Spurrier) was blown out once in 1995, none in 1996, once in 1997, none in 1998, once in 1999, once in 2000, none in 2001, three times in 2002, once in 2003, once in 2004, once in 2005, none in 2006 or 2007. Basically it was once every other year under Spurrier, more under Zook, less under Meyer.

USC has not been blown out of a game under Pete Carroll.

So I think all in all, once every three to five years in a league like the SEC is unrealistic.

Who's next? War Eagle

Agreed.

I also think we should play in the SEC title game once every 3-4 years. We're averaging once every 5 under CTT so I think that should improve. We should have gone in 2005 as well if Vaughn could have hit just one of those five FGs he missed so I think this is doable.

Wow you think low....

I did some researching and came to find since 2002 LSU FLA and UGA all have won at least 8 games every year with the exception of FLA in 2004 in which I belive there was a coaching change and you see how well that came to be 2 years later.Even Arkansas was only two years out of the six not winning eight games.

So yeah it can be done LSU FLA and UGA are proving it for going on 7 years straight.

UGA fans complain all the time that CMR plays "not to Lose", so strike UGA off the list. In fact last season before UGA reassigned their blocking assignments during their "week off", many UGA fans wanted CMR fired...rediculous, but that would fails to meet your criteria. I'm pretty sure that all of them have lost a game by more than 20 points in the last 3 years. Fla lost 31-3 to Bama in Oct 2005, so it that just gets under the 3 year limit. UGA beat Uf 42-30 last year and it was a blowout...UGA put in the scrubs and let them score, otherwise it would have been over 20 points. UGA beat LSU 34-14 in Dec 2005. So I guess those don't meet your criteria either.

So quit rolling your eyes

My expectations are pretty simple:

1) Play sound, aggressive defense. If we ever look like a Big 12 school (even for stretches of a game), I'm disappointed. I grew up on SEC/Pat Dye defenses. I want us to knock heads and keep points off the board.

2) Compete for divisions titles. If you can win the West, you can win the SEC. If you can win the SEC, you can win the National Title. So all I ask is that we compete for West titles. When you put your view on the NC or something like that, I find that you're more likely to slip, and less likely to actually meet the goal.

3) Run the ball. I know this is the era of the Spread. The era of breaking records, but I still believe you win by wearing the other team down physically. Contrary to what Tony Franklin says, the best way to do that isn't by tempo, it's by beating on them over and over and over again with a solid run game. I want us to run the ball.

4) Recruit good players and good people. I don't want a team in the headlines for drug use or alcohol abuse or fighting with cops or beating girlfriends. I want solid citizens, decent students, and sound players.

5) Finish in the Top 20. Anything more than that takes a little luck or favoritism to be honest. When we're Top 20, we had a solid overall year.

I care, but I don't worry if we have a down year. That happens. You aren't going to meet the goals every year. The defense may have a blip or two. The team may lose games they shouldn't and fall out of the West race from time to time. But those are my goals for the most part each year. Some years I expect more, but those are my basement expectations. Personally, I don't care if we lose by 20 or by 1. It actually hurts more to lose by 1.

For the record, we met my expectations in 2007 (We finished in the Top 15. We played good defense and ran the ball pretty well. If the LSU game goes the other way and everything else is the same, we win the West at 9-3), 2006 (Top 10 finish. Same record as the West champ. One game off the national title pace), 2005 (Top 15 finish. 7-1 record in conference and one made field goal away from winning the West. The defense was a disappointment late, but we corrected that), 2004 (obviously), 2002 (Top 15 finish. Great run game. That team was one flukey loss away from winning the West: either the UF overtime game or the UGA game would have been enough. I really liked that team), and 2000 (Defense, running, West title, Top 20 finish). The 2003 team only fell short because they had the talent to do so much more.

In fact last season before UGA reassigned their blocking assignments during their "week off", many UGA fans wanted CMR fired

Woah, Woah, Woah

What?

What blocking assignments and who wanted him fired?

Wow you think low....

UGA fans complain all the time that CMR plays "not to Lose", so strike UGA off the list. In fact last season before UGA reassigned their blocking assignments during their "week off", many UGA fans wanted CMR fired...rediculous, but that would fails to meet your criteria. I'm pretty sure that all of them have lost a game by more than 20 points in the last 3 years. Fla lost 31-3 to Bama in Oct 2005, so it that just gets under the 3 year limit. UGA beat Uf 42-30 last year and it was a blowout...UGA put in the scrubs and let them score, otherwise it would have been over 20 points. UGA beat LSU 34-14 in Dec 2005. So I guess those don't meet your criteria either.

So quit rolling your eyes

Sorry my goals are so loftly to ya. :rolleyes:

Now pass the Grey Poupon.

I personally don't see 8 wins a success. I know it is because I am a young kid who wasn't here in the Barfield era(sorry that I wasn't there when we suck and are therefore okay with doing decent) but between our generally weak OOC schedule and teams like Ole Miss, MSU, Vandy we should get 8 wins every year. This year we are not very good but we still should have beaten Arkansas and Vandy. 8 wins most likely means we lost to LSU, UGA, at least one team we shouldn't have lost to, and then maybe a Bama or Tennessee. I don't consider beating the small teams and losing to the big teams a good season.

In fact last season before UGA reassigned their blocking assignments during their "week off", many UGA fans wanted CMR fired

Woah, Woah, Woah

What?

What blocking assignments and who wanted him fired?

Well..my Real Estate partner and all of his 4 or 5 Frat brothers. My partner gave away his season tickets after the 35-14 loss to Tenn. My UGA neighbors-all 3 sides. I told them all they were rediculous....

Go look at the blocking schemes before and after the Fla game

Go look at the blocking schemes before and after the Fla game

Our blocking schemes have never changed mid-season from what I have seen or heard.

Searles did in fact bring a different blocking scheme to Georgia before 2007 season but nothing was majorly changed mid-year last season

What Stacey did was switch up who played where but I have no recollection of any different schemes being employed before or after UF

I personally don't see 8 wins a success. I know it is because I am a young kid who wasn't here in the Barfield era(sorry that I wasn't there when we suck and are therefore okay with doing decent) but between our generally weak OOC schedule and teams like Ole Miss, MSU, Vandy we should get 8 wins every year. This year we are not very good but we still should have beaten Arkansas and Vandy. 8 wins most likely means we lost to LSU, UGA, at least one team we shouldn't have lost to, and then maybe a Bama or Tennessee. I don't consider beating the small teams and losing to the big teams a good season.

Well if you are young then there is hope that you can learn sports personality Character and Class. Those traits are most often tested when times are tuff. Many young folks now rant and"expect" perfection when times are tuff instead of keeping your head up and supporting the team and coaches. Even if it means outwardly supporting the team right up until the time that the coach is fired.

Ranting, Raving, demanding is generally assumes that the situation is very black and white. There are a lot of shades of gray in a team dynamic and assuming black/white is generally ignorant. Ranting, Raving and Demanding based on ignorance is redneck. Notre Dame and Nebraska fans have a lot of character and class and don't do it. If they have a problem, they complain quietly and write letters to the PTB.

We are in the SEC, no coach is going to have 8 wins every season if he coaches long enough. Joe Pa had a 3 win season a few years back, if he had been fired, Penn St wouldn't be doing so good this year.

Bear Bryant even had a few bad years and he cheated in recruiting more than any coach ever. In 1969 and 1970 he had back to back 6-5 years. I guess the Bear wouldn't meet your "standards"? The Bama fans had class in those days. They had the patience to wait for the team to rebound.

Joe Pa had a 3 win season a few years back, if he had been fired, Penn St wouldn't be doing so good this year.

Mike Shula had a 10 win season in 05 and we still fired him the next year......still not seeing where that is hurting us. you don't know that Penn St wouldn't be any good this year had Joe Pa been fired. his 3 win season was 5 years ago. thats plenty of time for somebody to step in and make them a contender.

Joe Pa had a 3 win season a few years back, if he had been fired, Penn St wouldn't be doing so good this year.

Mike Shula had a 10 win season in 05 and we still fired him the next year......still not seeing where that is hurting us. you don't know that Penn St wouldn't be any good this year had Joe Pa been fired. his 3 win season was 5 years ago. thats plenty of time for somebody to step in and make them a contender.

Every one on the planet knew that Shula was not a long term solution. He was just the best you could get in the wake of Fran's departure and Price's date with Destiny.

Every one on the planet knew that Shula was not a long term solution. He was just the best you could get in the wake of Fran's departure and Price's date with Destiny.

the point is, its ridiculous to say that firing a coach in 2003 means you will most certainly suck in 2008.

My expectation is simple: continue the good defense, features an offense that can put up 25ppg, win the division every 2-4 years and winning the SEC title in the same span. Compete for NC the way Oklahoma, Texas, Florida and LSU do. There´s no reason why we can only win one SEC title in 10 years, and going to Atlanta twice in the same span. None.

Except for flukey luck. Let me put it this way: if we had LSU's luck, we would've played for the national title in 2006, just like they did in 2007.

We were in competition for the SEC West (and the SEC championship) in 2000 (outright West champs), 2001 (tied for first), 2002 (tied for first after two heart breaking losses against UF and UGA), 2004(outright SEC Champs), 2005(tied for first), 2006 (one game out of first at 6-2), and 2007 (one game out of first and one incompletion in Baton Rouge away from Atlanta).

Now I'm not claiming West titles in years that we lose the tiebreaker. All I'm saying is that in Tubs ten years we've only had three years (1999, 2003, and 2008... I'm assuming) where we didn't win the West (2000 and 2004), tie for first (2001, 2002, and 2005), or finish no worse than one game out (2006 and 2007). You can complain all you want, but I'd be willing to BET than Bob Stoops and OU would not have done any better over that course of time. Florida hasn't done that well over that course of time. Texas wouldn't have done any better. Tubs has a great track record here.

We just need to stay the course, and trust that we'll be the team that catches a break like UF and LSU did the last two years. Trust that some year we can win the West with less than complete domination every week. Any other year 2005 would've been enough. 2002 and 2007... all we needed was an incomplete pass on 4th down in Auburn or an incomplete pass in Baton Rouge. We're close. Much like FSU was close in the late 80's/early 90's... patience paid off. It will pay off for us as well.

Except for flukey luck. Let me put it this way: if we had LSU's luck, we would've played for the national title in 2006, just like they did in 2007.

We were in competition for the SEC West (and the SEC championship) in 2000 (outright West champs), 2001 (tied for first), 2002 (tied for first after two heart breaking losses against UF and UGA), 2004(outright SEC Champs), 2005(tied for first), 2006 (one game out of first at 6-2), and 2007 (one game out of first and one incompletion in Baton Rouge away from Atlanta).

Now I'm not claiming West titles in years that we lose the tiebreaker. All I'm saying is that in Tubs ten years we've only had three years (1999, 2003, and 2008... I'm assuming) where we didn't win the West (2000 and 2004), tie for first (2001, 2002, and 2005), or finish no worse than one game out (2006 and 2007). You can complain all you want, but I'd be willing to BET than Bob Stoops and OU would not have done any better over that course of time. Florida hasn't done that well over that course of time. Texas wouldn't have done any better. Tubs has a great track record here.

We just need to stay the course, and trust that we'll be the team that catches a break like UF and LSU did the last two years. Trust that some year we can win the West with less than complete domination every week. Any other year 2005 would've been enough. 2002 and 2007... all we needed was an incomplete pass on 4th down in Auburn or an incomplete pass in Baton Rouge. We're close. Much like FSU was close in the late 80's/early 90's... patience paid off. It will pay off for us as well.

WOW, that's a rosey way to look at the past 10 years.

Sorry folks, I want the hardware in the trophy case, bottom line. Close isn't good enough anymore for me. Because the SEC just go a lot tougher over the past 2-3 years. With the likes of $aban, Miles, Meyer, Richt and Petrino in the SEC, somebody's gonna fall to the bottom of the pack. I just hope like hell it isn't us. WDE!

Well if you are young then there is hope that you can learn sports personality Character and Class. Those traits are most often tested when times are tuff. Many young folks now rant and"expect" perfection when times are tuff instead of keeping your head up and supporting the team and coaches. Even if it means outwardly supporting the team right up until the time that the coach is fired.

Ranting, Raving, demanding is generally assumes that the situation is very black and white. There are a lot of shades of gray in a team dynamic and assuming black/white is generally ignorant. Ranting, Raving and Demanding based on ignorance is redneck. Notre Dame and Nebraska fans have a lot of character and class and don't do it. If they have a problem, they complain quietly and write letters to the PTB.

We are in the SEC, no coach is going to have 8 wins every season if he coaches long enough. Joe Pa had a 3 win season a few years back, if he had been fired, Penn St wouldn't be doing so good this year.

Bear Bryant even had a few bad years and he cheated in recruiting more than any coach ever. In 1969 and 1970 he had back to back 6-5 years. I guess the Bear wouldn't meet your "standards"? The Bama fans had class in those days. They had the patience to wait for the team to rebound.

Sorry, I didn't know that answering a thread on a message board shows that I don't have character and class. If you were with me at work you would see that I wear Auburn shirts about 3 times a week and certainly every time after a loss. When I hear roll tide I return with War Eagle. At breakfast the other day someone said, "your still going to wear that shirt after saturday?" I responded with, "I am an Auburn fan every day win or lose for the rest of my life." Just because I expect more or have higher expectation doesn't mean that I don't have class or character for my program. Furthermore I don't know how I raved and ranted like a redneck. As far as not every coach can have an 8 win season I never said I expected one too. Try reading the post and understanding it for what it was, not what you wanted it to be or thought it was. I said with our schedule I don't see 8 wins as a success. I don't expect us to have success every year and I have yet to call for Tubs head this year when we probably aren't going to have 8 wins. All I said is I don't see 8 wins as a succesful season. Furthermore, I don't think it is a success when we were picked by many to win the West and possibly the SEC. Your next point about the Bear having several bad years. Bear wasn't paid what coaches are paid now, the higher the pay the higher the expecations. You have several bad years at a company and you are a top man you probably won't last long. For some reason it seems people forget this is still a job where results are expected. The Bear also had 6 national championships in 24 years which amounts to 3 every 8 years. Tubs hasn't had one yet. He also won 13 SEC championships while at Bama in those same 24 years, which accounts for a little more than one every other year. Tubs would have a lot less being said about him if he had those same stats up to this point. Now we all know Bear had it easier and cheated and all that, but using that as a comparison is a little unfair considering the stats of the two coaches.

WOW, that's a rosey way to look at the past 10 years.

Sorry folks, I want the hardware in the trophy case, bottom line. Close isn't good enough anymore for me. Because the SEC just go a lot tougher over the past 2-3 years. With the likes of $aban, Miles, Meyer, Richt and Petrino in the SEC, somebody's gonna fall to the bottom of the pack. I just hope like hell it isn't us. WDE!

The SEC has parity. those top teams will rise and fall from year to year. With these coaches, if one falls, it won't e but a year or 2. The impatient fans could affect recruiting more than anything. The recruits don't want to go to school with chronically complaining fans. It is one rason Bama suffered. Bama got behind Saban and the recruits showed up.

Sorry, I didn't know that answering a thread on a message board shows that I don't have character and class. If you were with me at work you would see that I wear Auburn shirts about 3 times a week and certainly every time after a loss. When I hear roll tide I return with War Eagle. At breakfast the other day someone said, "your still going to wear that shirt after saturday?" I responded with, "I am an Auburn fan every day win or lose for the rest of my life." Just because I expect more or have higher expectation doesn't mean that I don't have class or character for my program. Furthermore I don't know how I raved and ranted like a redneck. As far as not every coach can have an 8 win season I never said I expected one too. Try reading the post and understanding it for what it was, not what you wanted it to be or thought it was. I said with our schedule I don't see 8 wins as a success. I don't expect us to have success every year and I have yet to call for Tubs head this year when we probably aren't going to have 8 wins. All I said is I don't see 8 wins as a succesful season. Furthermore, I don't think it is a success when we were picked by many to win the West and possibly the SEC. Your next point about the Bear having several bad years. Bear wasn't paid what coaches are paid now, the higher the pay the higher the expecations. You have several bad years at a company and you are a top man you probably won't last long. For some reason it seems people forget this is still a job where results are expected. The Bear also had 6 national championships in 24 years which amounts to 3 every 8 years. Tubs hasn't had one yet. He also won 13 SEC championships while at Bama in those same 24 years, which accounts for a little more than one every other year. Tubs would have a lot less being said about him if he had those same stats up to this point. Now we all know Bear had it easier and cheated and all that, but using that as a comparison is a little unfair considering the stats of the two coaches.

I apologize for lumping you in with the plethora of young, ESPN trained "what have you done for me lately", wannabes that are all over the SEC.

You have a logic bust when you claim b/c the coaches are paid a lot, they must deliver highly or be fired. All of the SEC coaches are highly paid, so based on your logic, over half of them should be fired each year b/c it is not mathematically possible for all of them to deliver. If all the fans have that attitude, then the coaching carosel will spin off the spindle.

Archived