Petey Smith to UA

Aubie27

Petey Smith from what I have seen likely doesn't have an offer from us and isn't really a target. Doesn't fit this defense as a LB.

That's funny...and is the equivalent of "we didn't want him anyway."

How is it funny when it is flat out true? Eric Smith (ie: Petey's brother) has stated that Petey doesn't have an Auburn offer, and our coaches made very little attempt to win him back...in fact, the new coaches have paid next to no attention to him and have instead been offering other linebackers. Durrr...why would they do this? Probably because Chizik is a Cover2 guy and the MLB in that defense is responsible for deep pass coverage which lets just say is far from the strength of '250lbs-as-a-17 year old' Petey Smith who looks like a DL playing linebacker.

Then I hope you've come to CJWs defense when all these people on here are saying the only reason you lost Petey Smith was because mean ole JW stole him from Auburn.

CJW was the only reason there was still any mutual interest between AU and Petey. The new staff has no interest in him whatsoever, as he doesn't fit the new scheme (mentioned several times by Meta).

Now, I'm not pulling the "we didn't want him card," because many of us DO want him. We also understand that if we DID get him, he probably wouldn't be playing MLB. Instead of signing a tweener, they're after a few other guys who already fit the physical profile they're looking for.

No sour grapes, just facts. I hate that he didn't commit earlier in the year, but such is life. I'm sure we'll be fine.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't say that this guy is great or not because I don't know. I don't know if he fits in with the new staff's schemes or not.

I do know this: With a brother already on the Auburn team, he is very familiar with our school. Yet he has been wavering, waffleing, and playing head games since way back in the early fall.

I say t' 'ell with him. If $aban wants him, let him offer the kid. We've withdrawn our offer, so if Smith is not welcome at UAT he can try Florida Atlantic, Middle Tennessee State, or maybe the new team at South Alabama will have a spot for him.

After the games he and others have played, it would suit me just fine if they were left out in the cold. This posturing and head game approach has to stop sometime and the coaches are the only ones who can stop it.

Most of these kids (those with no grade problems) know from day one where they probably want to go anyhow. Moreover, they've started treating college like a "farm school" for the NFL and you don't have them that long. Some rules on that needs to be changed as well.

After the games he and others have played, it would suit me just fine if they were left out in the cold. This posturing and head game approach has to stop sometime and the coaches are the only ones who can stop it.

Most of these kids (those with no grade problems) know from day one where they probably want to go anyhow. Moreover, they've started treating college like a "farm school" for the NFL and you don't have them that long. Some rules on that needs to be changed as well.

I agree with you COMPLETELY on the way these players act. However, a lot of these schools play TONS of head games with these kids. I remember reading an article about Saban (I don't have a link, so sue me , BG) that stated that he was a master of making a kid FEEL as though he had just given him an offer. Then, if the kid panned out, Saban would come back and say "you remember that we were the first to notice and we have been by you all along." However, if he flopped (or someone better came along) he could say "now if you remember our actual conversation, we never REALLY offered." Now, before the bammers flip out, I'm not saying Auburn hasn't done something similar. Its just that, at times, you wonder what kind of a line these kids are being fed by some of these schools.

I'm growing really tired of all the Alabama fans jumping into every thread and being the moral compass for Auburn. I left for a time because of this and it looks like I'm leaving again.

Well... Bye

just to add something about Petey Smith, he just left his official at UT a little while ago and says Alabama is still on top. should announce in the next few days since the UT official is now out of the way.

I'm growing really tired of all the Alabama fans jumping into every thread and being the moral compass for Auburn. I left for a time because of this and it looks like I'm leaving again.

Well... Bye

Well it can be fixed where he does not leave.

Eventus stultorum magister

Cuando su opinión es querida le convocaremos. Hasta entonces cállese.

Embrassez mon âne(cul)!

Quand votre avis est voulu nous vous appellerons. Jusqu'à se tiennent alors tranquille.

Küssen Sie meinen Esel!

Когда ваше мнение требуется мы будем вызывать вас. До затем сохраняют спокойствие.

Поцелуйте мою задницу!

Quando sua opinião é querida que nós o chamaremos. Cultive então mantenha quieto.

¡Bese mi asno!

Eventus stultorum magister

Cuando su opinión es querida le convocaremos. Hasta entonces cállese.

Embrassez mon âne(cul)!

Quand votre avis est voulu nous vous appellerons. Jusqu'à se tiennent alors tranquille.

Küssen Sie meinen Esel!

Когда ваше мнение требуется мы будем вызывать вас. До затем сохраняют спокойствие.

Поцелуйте мою задницу!

Quando sua opinião é querida que nós o chamaremos. Cultive então mantenha quieto.

¡Bese mi asno!

Mas Cerveza!!!!!!!!!

:au::homer:

Поцелуйте мою задницу!

I was just quoting Tombstone, but looks like you are trying to show out.

And yes, I know some Russian, and I care nothing about your opinion either. Nice ass reference.

As per Petey's comments to ESPN, I'm damn glad we didn't get him and I hope he goes to the bammers where we can knock his ass in the dirt.

Top linebacker Petey Smith all Alabama after visit

Petey Smith, an Under Armour All-American inside linebacker, told ESPN affiliate Web site CrimsonConfidential.com, "I'm going to Alabama. Alabama is just a better school, and that's where I want to go."

Additionally, Auburn appears out of the running. "I'll go ahead and say it. I'm not going to Auburn," Smith explained to another ESPN affiliate Web site AuburnUndercover.com. "I'm pretty sure I'll commit to Alabama soon."

Smith has a close relationship with new Alabama assistant coach James Willis, who was recently lured by Nick Saban from Auburn.

Archived