A Day visitors list?

One of my goo friends who's a bama alum told me that bama will have quite a few guys that are considered to have grown up Auburn fans at their game, including:

Jeremy Richardson

Solomon Patton

Barry James

LaDarius Owens

Sounds like they'll have former commit - BJ Chitty, and several we're fighting over Craig Sanders, CJ Mosely, Jarrick Williams, Erick Mack, Roy Finch. That's all that I was able to find so far.

That's a little dissapointing.

I know I'll get flamed for these comments but I don't care. It seems that Saban is off and running again and we are not. Yes, we've had a great many visitors and many of them are highly recruited but while they've been 'visiting" us, Bammer has picked up ten commits at last count. I was hoping that we would do good early but it seems that that's not going to be the case. For those who claim early commits mean nothing, they DO! When outstanding players commit early, particularly those who won't be swayed later, it serves to draw even more outstanding players. It's particularly concerning when you see how many of the top OL are considering us when you consider the depth problems we have and the opportunity for early playing time in a top program. I don't understand it! BTW, Georgia and LSU and Florida are also doing well early. I know it's very early but I hope Chizik and company can "pick it up some"! :cheer:

I know I'll get flamed for these comments but I don't care. It seems that Saban is off and running again and we are not. Yes, we've had a great many visitors and many of them are highly recruited but while they've been 'visiting" us, Bammer has picked up ten commits at last count. I was hoping that we would do good early but it seems that that's not going to be the case. For those who claim early commits mean nothing, they DO! When outstanding players commit early, particularly those who won't be swayed later, it serves to draw even more outstanding players. It's particularly concerning when you see how many of the top OL are considering us when you consider the depth problems we have and the opportunity for early playing time in a top program. I don't understand it! BTW, Georgia and LSU and Florida are also doing well early. I know it's very early but I hope Chizik and company can "pick it up some"! :cheer:

We have to earn it, my friend. What you're witnessing this the difference between a trip to the Sugar Bowl and having a losing season. We may not have a huge recruiting class this next year because our HC is relatively unknown and is certainly unproven. If we pick it up and have a good season, we'll see the recruiting pick up strong as signing day actually nears.

Bama didn't have that problem two years ago because Saban was a known commodity, Chizik isn't.

Give it time, we'll have a solid recruiting class at worst and with enough on-field success, we'll have a much better class. Keep in mind that none of the commits are actually locked in just yet. Perhaps they're going for what they see as the safe bet for now?

It'll work out

The thing is, Saban has been recruiting these kids already for a few years and was already getting this class together before signing day of this year. Chizik and staff had to worry more about the current class and salvaging the mess left behind after Tuberville left. So we are ehind on recruiting. I would expect us to be going full steam with recruiting by summer and I really have no worries right now with the capabilities of this staff to recruit.

The problem is that you have something like 6 SEC schools alone having their spring game tomorrow.

All of the the in-state kids who are going to west vance Saturday is the alarm that some are sounding. But the poster above makes a decent point about saban being on these recruits for 2+ years. Still, with the kind of jack we threw at assistants, the honeymoon period will only last so long. I think if the xCTT years taught us any thing, it is that we have to at least break even in this state. Especially with the jobs Richt and Meyer are doing recruiting in their respective backyards.

The problem is that you have something like 6 SEC schools alone having their spring game tomorrow.

All of the the in-state kids who are going to west vance Saturday is the alarm that some are sounding. But the poster above makes a decent point about saban being on these recruits for 2+ years. Still, with the kind of jack we threw at assistants, the honeymoon period will only last so long. I think if the xCTT years taught us any thing, it is that we have to at least break even in this state. Especially with the jobs Richt and Meyer are doing recruiting in their respective backyards.

Exactly. The thing that worries me is that guys like Richardson, Owens, Patton, etc are going over there and these are kids that are known for being Auburn fans.

It's really probably not that big of a deal because we'll get them to Auburn as well. A spring game isn't going to make or break any kids I wouldn't think.

Their A-Day is a significantly bigger event, this was easily anticipated.

Their A-Day is a significantly bigger event, this was easily anticipated.

True. But Chizik should be viewing that as an unsustainable fact.

Regardless of how you look at it, it is disturbing that these kids that where known AU fans are giong to the UA scrim and not ours. UA is running the same offense it had last year and we are beginning a new era with an exciting new offense and it's the first time that the AU version will be seen by the fans.

I understand the Saban factor but we have dedicated some very good recruiters to the Alabama kids and I would have at least hoped that Richardson and Owens would be here. It makes me wonder if we have a preception problem in-state that is affecting these players.

The flip side is that I dont think a spring game is a do or die event. I dont think that Lattimore is more likely to sign with us because he comes to our game, so hopefully that logic will hold true for some of our highly sought after recruits that choose other spring games.

I wonder what the percentage of our class this past year was at A-Day last spring. I would guess pretty low. There are a lot of spring games tomorrow, this is not a huge deal. Maybe the ones who grew up AU fans have already been to games at AU and want to check out Bama. If I'm a top recruit I would take every opportunity to see as many schools as possible.

I haven't seen anything that suggests that Richardson will be at Bama BTW. I have no idea what he's doing this weekend but I haven't seen him mentioned on the Bama lists.

Also, I've heard strongly that Patton is there because he's gong to attend the Scout combine in Tuscaloosa which I believe is after A-Day. I think this could be the case for quite a few of their visitors. BTW Patton is leaning towards Florida IMO.

Alabama is also having a recruitng combine this weekend so aloth of those prospects can kill two birds with one stone by catching their A-Day game and going to the combine, which will allow them to be ranked by the various recuting services. A good performance at a big combine like that one will create a buzz for alot of these kids going into their junior/senior seasons. Obviously I wish they were coming to our game. I think we as fans need to make our A-Day game more of an event in the future. I also think the Athletic Department needs to do more to make it an event (baseball games, alumni events, etc). I think bringing back the autgraph signing is a start towards encouraging more fan involvement.

I can't help point out one thing. Players love to play in big games in exciting places on national TV. They aren't too concerned about the difficulty of the schedule. So when we turn down opportunities like playing UCLA in the Ga. Dome it doesn't help recruiting. Look who played in that game last year and again this year.

We tend to place all the blame for recruiting problems on the coaches but our beloved AD doesn't help us any.

Having said that, I saw our list of attendees this morning. It is now over 100 with some highly recruited prospects. So all is not gloom and doom by any means. bama can't play the Bear Bryant gama anymore. There is enough talent to go around and in the end other factors (coaching, academics, injuries, etc.) will make a big difference.

Just listen to yourselves. What difference does it make what THEY are doing? Care more what Auburn is doing.

Archived