Malzahn in the mix at ULM?

AUTiger10

Saw this in rumor central on espn's site. http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/features/rumors?&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2ffeatures%2frumors I know this is exactly what it says it is, a rumor, so take it for what it's worth. Unfortunately, I can't read the article because I'm not an "insider". Does anyone know any details? Interested in your thoughts as to whether or not you think Malzahn would leave for a head coaching job such as ULM? I personally hope we do whatever it takes to keep him around, especially with the talent we are bringing in on offense. Combine that with the receivers we developed this year, and we should have enough depth at the skill positions to be very successful. Thoughts?

im no expert, but i dont think he leaves for that kind of position. His daughter has transferred to 3 different colleges with him. I'd imagine he sticks around here to get her out of school and then looks for something bigger. ULM only pays their coach what?? 900k??

As I've said in other threads:

I think Gus knows that if he stays a while, builds an SEC/BCS contender with his system, he can pretty much write his own ticket to much bigger jobs than La-Monroe or Memphis. A little patience now will yield much bigger dividends later. (And Chizik's Iowa State experience is a good lesson against jumping at any ol' HC job that comes along.)

No way he leaves for ULM. That would feel like a demotion in my opinion. He stays at least long enough to build an actual contender in the SEC. He won't get the talent to do what he wants at ULM--he'd probably have a stroke trying to coach a game with their "talent" pool.

I'd also hope he accomplishes more @ Auburn than 1 season of keeping our offense from sucking before he moves on. It still remains to be seen if his creative offensive mind & coaching, combined w/ talent & depth, can beat SEC defenses.

I think this would be a terrible choice for Malzahn to make. He's only been in the NCAA for a few years with coaching experience at Arkansas as the Offenseive Coor. and the HC at Tulsa 2 seasons. While he has been successful at both schools, and now at Auburn, I think he should stick around The Plains for a few more years and wait for a shot at a school that will put his name on the board. Not a slum program like ULM or Memphis. Don't waste your time Malzahn!

WDE!

As I've said in other threads:

I think Gus knows that if he stays a while, builds an SEC/BCS contender with his system, he can pretty much write his own ticket to much bigger jobs than La-Monroe or Memphis. A little patience now will yield much bigger dividends later. (And Chizik's Iowa State experience is a good lesson against jumping at any ol' HC job that comes along.)

Excellent point.

I think this would be a terrible choice for Malzahn to make. He's only been in the NCAA for a few years with coaching experience at Arkansas as the Offenseive Coor. and the HC at Tulsa 2 seasons. While he has been successful at both schools, and now at Auburn, I think he should stick around The Plains for a few more years and wait for a shot at a school that will put his name on the board. Not a slum program like ULM or Memphis. Don't waste your time Malzahn!

WDE!

Malzahn wasn't HC at Tulsa... maybe assistant HC.

I would hope he stays around a while and we pay him what he is worth to stay at Auburn. I think the guys buy into his system and that is huge. Malzahn in my opinion is a great offesnsive mind and I am proud that he is part of this great coaching staff that Chizik has put together. WDE!

Get used to it. His name is going to come up almost everytime a vacancy exists, except at major programs where they'd be looking for someone with more experience. The vast majority will be nothing more than speculation. Eventually a job will open where someone has a realistic shot at winning if they're worth anything and he'll take it. My gut says that it would be after next year at the very earliest. I think he's content for now to hone his skills and build his resume and wait, not wanting to find himself in the impossible situation Chizik was in at ISU, which means he'll be at Auburn another 2-3 years.

Get used to it. His name is going to come up almost everytime a vacancy exists, except at major programs where they'd be looking for someone with more experience. The vast majority will be nothing more than speculation. Eventually a job will open where someone has a realistic shot at winning if they're worth anything and he'll take it. My gut says that it would be after next year at the very earliest. I think he's content for now to hone his skills and build his resume and wait, not wanting to find himself in the impossible situation Chizik was in at ISU, which means he'll be at Auburn another 2-3 years.

Looks like we agree.

Good point about his name coming up all the time. His name will always be at the top of the list for smaller jobs until either his system fails or until he succeeds and takes a really good HC job with potential. We may as well enjoy the ride...but hey, is it better to have assistants everyone wants, or to have assistants no one desires? ;)

Archived