McDowell was a Blazer?

RunInRed

I had no idea...

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. -Former UAB men's golfer Graeme McDowell came from two strokes behind entering the final round and captured the 2010 U.S. Open on Sunday. In doing so, McDowell became the first UAB golfer to win a major championship.

McDowell seized control after a shocking collapse by third round leader Dustin Johnson, then failed to get flustered with Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els lined up behind him.

He closed with a 3-over 74 to finish with an even par 284. In doing so, he became the first European in 40 years to capture the U.S. Open.

"I can't believe I'm standing with this right now," McDowell said, posing with silver trophy. "It's a dream come true. I've been dreaming it all my life. Two putts to win the U.S. Open. Can't believe it happened."

McDowell played at UAB from 1999-2002 and garnered back-to-back All-American honors (2001 and 2002). He was awarded the Fred Haskins trophy in 2002, which honors the top collegiate golfer in the country. He finished that season ranked No. 1 in the nation.

UAB head coach Alan Kaufman, who recruited and coached McDowell at UAB, was pleased for his former star pupil. Kaufman and his wife flew out to watch McDowell first-hand this weekend, but had to leave early Sunday morning before the final round began. Despite not being on hand for the celebration, Kaufman said he does not regret being their throughout McDowell's final round.

"I don't think I could have handled watching him throughout the day," Kaufman said. "It was really hard watching it on TV so I know my nerves would have been shot if I was there in person. This is a terrific win for Graeme and a great story. I could not be more proud of him and all of his accomplishments, and to be out there with him through the first three rounds was very special."

http://uabsports.cstv.com/sports/m-golf/spec-rel/062010aab.html

http://uabsports.cstv.com/sports/m-golf/mtt/mcdowell_graeme00.html

Actually, McDowell entered the final round three strokes down to Dustin Johnson (210-207).

Johnson is also from the southeast. He was born in Columbia, SC and went to Coastal Carolina. It was kind of heartbreaking to see him implode.

I don't believe we've seen the last of Johnson. He turns 26 today (iirc) and has a lot of talent.

Archived