So many holes in this article

sntemp

They're still trying......

"Wait … what?

Cecil Newton tried to get $180,000 to $200,000 for his son to play football and the NCAA said, hey, no problem?"

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=Ar1Sxz2YxfWgF5L_BqlxNo85nYcB?slug=dw-newtonturn120110

God... I just about puked reading that. No effort to do any relevant research on this kind of situation whatsoever. Wonderful "reporting."

The naysayers want to talk about how this "opens the door for persons to ask for money behind a player's back". Perhaps--but no one said MSU was off the hook yet. And if money had changed hands, both Cecil and Rogers could have faced legal problems from the IRS, the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission in this case), or other state/federal authorities.

But what if the ruling had been the reverse? What if the NCAA had said "we'll punish innocent schools and players for things they had no knowledge of nor ability to prevent? Seems like that opens a huge door for anyone to sabotage a rival school or player: Hate another school, or know you won't be able to sign a recruit but want to keep him ineligible to anyone else? Just start some money talk with anyone close to him. The other school gets in trouble and that player is off limits to everyone through no fault, knowledge, or control of their own! At the very least, the school for which he signed might be so frightened of possible repercussions they might sit an innocent player on rumor alone--ruining both his future and the school's season. (I applaud Auburn and Chizik for being brave enough to say "We believe in Cam and will support him" when they could have taken the cautious way out and benched him, innocent or not.)

I'm sure the NCAA will revisit/refine its rules because of this case, but ruling in the opposite direction would have opened just as many, if not more, avenues for abuse.

Bottom line, of course: You can't punish the innocent for another person's actions out of fear of possible future abuse.

"Wait … what?

Cecil Newton tried to get $180,000 to $200,000 for his son to play football and the NCAA said, hey, no problem?"

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=Ar1Sxz2YxfWgF5L_BqlxNo85nYcB?slug=dw-newtonturn120110

The real problem with what all of the haters are saying is they have made one critical incorrect key assumption: most parents want to sell their kids. I've said it before and had my thread on the topic deleted (understandable). Cecil Newton is a terrible father and I feel sorry for Cam. I can't imagine what the kid is going through knowing that his own father tried to sell him. I like to think most parents won't do something that despicable. I could be wrong, though, since I'm not a parent.

"Wait … what?

http://rivals.yahoo....ewtonturn120110

The real problem with what all of the haters are saying is they have made one critical incorrect key assumption: most parents want to sell their kids. I've said it before and had my thread on the topic deleted (understandable). Cecil Newton is a terrible father and I feel sorry for Cam. I can't imagine what the kid is going through knowing that his own father tried to sell him. I like to think most parents won't do something that despicable. I could be wrong, though, since I'm not a parent.

We don't know absolutely, positively that Cecil instigated this whole thing. It could be that Rogers instigated the "offer" to MSU and then pulled Cecil in on it, who went along with it for a short time, then maybe changed his mind. Cecil admitted to those discussions with Rogers, but no one knows but those 2 who started the whole thing.

"Wait … what?

It is probably happening more than we think. I think most of it are people having their hands out. I continue to hear that a certain prospect that was considered a "lock" for us this year, family had their hand out and AU said no and now we are no longer recruiting that particular prospect. Just rumor, but it makes you wonder how much it does happen albeit on a smaller type scale.

How is it that editors allow carp like this to be printed. Just like Joe Scud on ESPN last night, they are only reporting part of the story. Sure, if you get part of the story, I could understand why folks are confused. Are the rules being interpreted on a very 'technical' basis, sure. But that is what good lawyers are for.

Sure, Cecil solicited money to play at MSU. BUT there was no agreement by MSU to pay any money, nor was there any agreement to accept money. So this rule they keep spouting off is not the rule that is in play here. The rule in play is the one saying a person acting as an agent for the benefit of another person. Well, unless a player knows there is someone out there acting as their agent, how in the heck could they be acting on the benefit of that person? THEY CAN'T !!

Haters, just take the very large can of shut-up juice you have been given, and drink it down! Unless there is further information out there, nothing will happen to either Cam or Auburn. And oh yeah, don't hate the player, hate the game !

War Damn Eagle !!!

"Wait … what?

http://rivals.yahoo....ewtonturn120110

We don't know absolutely, positively that Cecil instigated this whole thing. It could be that Rogers instigated the "offer" to MSU and then pulled Cecil in on it, who went along with it for a short time, then maybe changed his mind. Cecil admitted to those discussions with Rogers, but no one knows but those 2 who started the whole thing.

This is the way I see it also. Rogers wants to make some easy money to cover his bank overdrafts and brings the matter up to Cecil. Cecil does have a conversation with Rogers about the possibility of receiving some money. Time passes and his conscience will not allow him to do this and regrets even having discussed. Finds AU to be the institution with highest integrity and character with an up and coming football program with a talented offensive line. This is where he wishes Cam had been all along and now has the opportunity to make it right. Cam arrives on the plains.

Remember something one our famous AU graduates said, "think about who had the most ot gain from" from these lies about a quality young man.

Archived