AP No. 1

RunInRed

Auburn rode its overwhelming win in the Southeastern Conference championship game to its first No. 1 ranking in The Associated Press college football poll since 1985.

The Tigers (13-0) jumped Oregon (12-0), which had been on top the last seven weeks, after beating South Carolina 56-17 on Saturday at the Georgia Dome. The Ducks fell to No. 2 after using a late surge to pull away for a 37-20 victory at Oregon State.

Auburn, which started the season No. 22, received 36 first-place votes. Oregon received 23 and No. 3 TCU got one.

There were few other changes after a Saturday with no upsets. The Horned Frogs were followed by Wisconsin, Stanford, Ohio State, Michigan State, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Boise State.

No. 25 Connecticut moved into the ranking for the first time this season after beating South Florida 19-16 to win a share of the Big East.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5887469

RK TEAM RECORD PTS PVS

1 AUBURN (36) 13-0 1473 2

2 Oregon (23) 12-0 1462 1

3 TCU (1) 12-0 1379 3

4 Wisconsin 11-1 1289 4

5 Stanford 11-1 1283 5

6 Ohio State 11-1 1179 6

7 Michigan State 11-1 1101 7

8 Arkansas 10-2 1085 8

9 Oklahoma 11-2 976 10

10 Boise State 11-1 932 9

11 LSU 10-2 863 11

12 Virginia Tech 11-2 817 12

13 Nevada 12-1 759 14

14 Missouri 10-2 705 15

15 Alabama 9-3 628 17

16 Oklahoma State 10-2 622 16

17 Nebraska 10-3 608 13

18 Texas A&M 9-3 601 19

19 South Carolina 9-4 332 18

20 Utah 10-2 312 21

21 Mississippi State 8-4 288 22

22 West Virginia 9-3 283 23

23 Florida State 9-4 188 20

24 Hawaii 10-3 111 25

25 Connecticut 8-4 74 NR

http://sports.ap.org/college-football/poll/ap

Just considering their schedule and the two teams ranked above them it's strange that TCU received 1 first place vote.

Well this is the AP (media) we're talking about.

All but one SEC-West team ranked in the top 21 and we beat all of them, plus beat the ranked SEC-East champ twice (the last time commandingly)!

The Ducks don't know what real football is!

If the media jumped us over Oregon even when they won; I think that answers without much doubt that Cam will win the Heisman going away, it won't be a repeat of Bo's close win...

I see the bammer fans are correct, UAT is the best three-loss team in the country. :rolleyes:

By rexbo: "If the media jumped us over Oregon even when they won; I think that answers without much doubt that Cam will win the Heisman going away, it won't be a repeat of Bo's close win...

You've got a point there, I think this is a reflection of the media's attitude toward Auburn and Cam..

It's hard for me to understand the coaches voting the Ducks above us. Just looking at the number of ranked teams beaten by each. Oregon hasn't even had a chance to demonstrate they're better.

It's hard for me to understand the coaches voting the Ducks above us. Just looking at the number of ranked teams beaten by each. Oregon hasn't even had a chance to demonstrate they're better.

Oregon flat out dominated, running through, up, around, and over, the #4 team in the country who is 11-1 and BCS bound. And did it in pretty spectacular fashion... giving them an 18 point lead at the end of the 1st and still winning by 21 points.

Coaches still in possession of their faculties... Oregon a comfortable #1. :P

Not so much. The lead is only 13 points this week compared to 40 last week so we should increase our lead in the BCS rankings.

Oregon flat out dominated, running through, up, around, and over, the #4 team in the country who is 11-1 and BCS bound. And did it in pretty spectacular fashion... giving them an 18 point lead at the end of the 1st and still winning by 21 points.

Yawn. So you beat Stanford who otherwise dominated in the Pac-10. Try again.

Most head coaches don't actually vote, they have a lackey designated to do that. Probably said underling doesn't dare do something as bold as changing the #1 position without checking with Coach, which will be Monday at the earliest.

Thanks for being patient and pleasant DixieDuck, you've been quite nice to have around and its good to see your point of view on things. Please don't take offense to anything you hear on this board, we're all a little sore that the media gives Oregon so much credit for beating up on a somewhat weak Pac-10 but its only because we weren't getting credit for winning out in the SEC.

I think the best way to look at Oregon in SEC terms is their game against Tennessee. They traveled across the country and overcame a poor showing in the first half to blow out a Tennessee team that we know has some serious talent. Admittedly, UT has almost no depth and Matt Simms was not their best QB. But they have a good (not great) defense and you tore them to pieces in the second half. We may not have played them, but I could see Auburn having a similar showing against UT this year.

Thanks for being patient and pleasant DixieDuck, you've been quite nice to have around and its good to see your point of view on things. Please don't take offense to anything you hear on this board, we're all a little sore that the media gives Oregon so much credit for beating up on a somewhat weak Pac-10 but its only because we weren't getting credit for winning out in the SEC.

It's honestly been a pleasure. I post on a few boards and I can easily say that Auburn fans have treated me the best. Impressive, especially considering what is looming. No flaming whatsoever and a lot of very good, intelligent, football discussion... which is what these boards are supposed to facilitate in theory. :thumbsup:

I think the best way to look at Oregon in SEC terms is their game against Tennessee. They traveled across the country and overcame a poor showing in the first half to blow out a Tennessee team that we know has some serious talent. Admittedly, UT has almost no depth and Matt Simms was not their best QB. But they have a good (not great) defense and you tore them to pieces in the second half. We may not have played them, but I could see Auburn having a similar showing against UT this year.

Tennessee gave us a great game in the First Half. Darren Thomas showed off his arm a lot because they did a pretty good job of stymying the run in the First Half, which not many teams have done against Oregon. But also... Tauren Poole was an animal and ran downhill at us all night. Makes me nervous about Newton. You're right in pinning down what cost UT the game... it was some big mistakes from Simms (throwing off the wrong foot caused a 80+ yard pick six which was kind of the knock out blow in that game) and Oregon just wearing them down with a much deeper, better conditioned team. They are pretty young too... I could see them in Atlanta in 2 years though, I really think they are gonna improve a lot and sooner rather then later. Their return trip to Autzen in 2 years is going to be must see football.

Archived