Clarification!

AUTigerCourt

:thumbsup:

Thanks for posting this. I always feel like I'm being a condescending jerk when I point out the error to opposing fans.

Thanks for posting this. I always feel like I'm being a condescending jerk when I point out the error to opposing fans.

Do the "talking heads" refer to your school incorrectly though?

Seems more often than not we're referred to "the University of Auburn" and not "Auburn University". Quite a few of us perceive that as gesture of disrespect. It's one thing for an unknowing fan to say it, but someone who gets paid to talk about college sports should know better.

Do the "talking heads" refer to your school incorrectly though?

Seems more often than not we're referred to "the University of Auburn" and not "Auburn University". Quite a few of us perceive that as gesture of disrespect. It's one thing for an unknowing fan to say it, but someone who gets paid to talk about college sports should know better.

They rarely mix up UO/OU but one thing you do frequently see is mispronouncing Oregon.

One of the funnier responses to this was when Joey Harrington got drafted by the Lions, he actually printed up and distributed "ORYGUN" stickers to the media poking fun at how often they mispronounce our state's name. You hear "Or-a-gone" from those outside the West Coast (and a few ESPN personalities, specifically Lou Holtz) an awfully lot.

3223009334_5f09f9199b.jpg

So what would be the proper way to say "Oregon"?

The way it's printed on the bumper sticker? I don't even know how I pronounce it, just not the "-gone" one.

The way it's printed on the bumper sticker? I don't even know how I pronounce it, just not the "-gone" one.

Yay! I got it right! :cheer:

:thumbsup: Thank you for posting that. That's hilarious they have that as a youtube video. someone should send that to Holthz

Okay, I got it right also! I had to say it a few times to myself before watching that.

Just don't call us Allburn or Aubrun. :angry:

Don't forget the ever-popular "Awbarn". :poke:

Of course, Holtz says, "The University of Auburn." Some say, "Au-brun." Musburger calls us, "AH-Burn."

I heard a guy at Tiger Walk this year yelling "Go AHHH-BRIN!"

Archived