Malzahn to Vandy? per Washington post

Defense(clap clap)

Add Dennis Dodd (CBS) and Tom Dienhart (Yahoo Sports) to the list saying that he has not accepted but that it's in discussions.

According to one person on the Auburn Rivals site, Gus turned them down last night and they called back today with a better offer and asked him to take some time to consider it. He said he would.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typical auburn to take the best season of all time, Mick it up with scandal, and top it off with the offensive guru leaving.

Typical bammer to take a swipe at Auburn and continue the lies pushed by unscrupulous journalist looking for anything to make their lives seem relevant.

I didn't realize the :moon: was a bammer. I just thought he was stupid. My bad.

I really thought this Vandy thing was nothing more than an nuisance. I thought Gus had given CGC his word that he'd be good for 3 years.

I wonder if that meant 3 years OR the SEC title, which ever came first.

Still though.... Vandy ? C'mon...

Did you see a real, first person quote from Chizik or Malzahn about the three year commitment? This is the first I've heard of it.

Typical auburn to take the best season of all time, Mick it up with scandal, and top it off with the offensive guru leaving.

Typical bammer to take a swipe at Auburn and continue the lies pushed by unscrupulous journalist looking for anything to make their lives seem relevant.

The Vandy Scout site has nothing.

One thread on there is saying that VU players are tweeting that Gus got it? They are all hanging their hats on the Washington Post article. Would be very surprised by CGM going there?

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/26398915

No Malzahn yet

Posted on: December 12, 2010 6:31 pmScore: 132

Log-in to rate:Log-in to rate: Log-in to rate: Not saying it won't happen but Gus Malzahn to Vanderbilt hasn't happened yet.

That's what a source at the school told me Sunday night.

"I'm supposed to be in the loop," the source said. "Nothing has happened yet."

The Washington Post reported late Sunday afternoon that the Auburn offensive coordinator had accepted the Vanderbilt job. If Malzahn does get the job, Vandy would have lost a bit of its innocence. This is a school that basically de-emphasized football when it eliminated its athletic department a few years ago under former president Gordon Gee.

It has inexorably tried to become an SEC member in football -- I know it is in name but c'mon -- since Bobby Johnson's departure in July. Johnson, pressured by the administration, supposedly waited until late in the summer to step down so Vandy would have no choice but to replace him with a staff member. Assistant Robbie Caldwell lasted a season.

The Malzahn move would show that Vanderbilt is at least trying to stay relevant. There were reports the school was offering $3 million per season. Clearly Vandy would be overpaying for its losing history to get one of the hottest assistants in the country.

"It [press conference] better not happen Sunday night," the source said. "We've got an inch of snow on the ground and Tennesseans don't do snow very well."

Thanks Whomever...

Tweets coming fast now:

@HABOTN: Unable to confirm Malzahn-to-Vanderbilt chatter at this hour, which is odd. I suspect this situation is fluid.

@auburnbeat : Dennis Dodd reports high-ranking Vandy source says "Nothing has happened yet." Link: http://bit.ly/hbkrxi

@TomDienhart: Source close to Malzahn tells me it isn't a done deal at Vandy, that Malzahn is "in discussions."

@hutton1045 Jonathan Hutton: Vanderbilt official says the report on Malzahn is "premature" and for me not "to go there".

Any chance Gus said 'I'll take it, but don't leak it to the press until after the BCS game - or I'll have to decline."

?

Any chance Gus said 'I'll take it, but don't leak it to the press until after the BCS game - or I'll have to decline."

?

In that case, LEAK IT LEAK IT LEAK!!, SO HE DECLINES IT!

I wish the best for Malzhan, but he can do so much better than Vandy and I really hope this doesn't effect the team preparing for the NCG.

If Vandy drops 3M on a HC, I can't see them ponying up for a quality DC.

I can't remember where I saw it, but I read it was something like 1.7/1.8 million with incentives to get to 3 million. Still, I can't see us, or anyone else for that matter spending anything over 1 million on a coordinator.

Goldberg posts on al.com...

Gus can take Vandy job if he wants it

Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn is considering becoming the head coach at Vanderbilt.

A person close to situation said Malzahn is mulling over the offer from the Commodores. That person said reports that he has already accepted the job are not true.

Malzahn was in New York on Saturday to watch his quarterback, Cam Newton, accept the Heisman Trophy.

Auburn is enjoying its best season offensively this season with Malzahn calling the shots. The Tigers set school records for points scored, points per game and total offense. Malzahn's star pupil, Cam Newton, became the first player in SEC history to throw for at least 2,000 yards and run for at least a 1,000 yards.

Auburn has one more game: The BCS national championship game against Oregon on Jan. 10.

Reportedly, Auburn has a $1.3 million offer on the table for Gus to stay. And that's not out of the realm of possibility. We'd likely only be paying that for one year because even if he turns Vandy down, I can't see him staying beyond next season.

Well, if he wasn't very open to it, I can't imagine he would be up there negotiating. And if they have offered more than anyone would have previously imagined...

Sounds to me like he's buying time to talk to Auburn and say goodbye. Maybe not. Maybe he just needed to see what it really looked and felt like and he'll decide against it.

Of course he would score points at Vandy. Whether he'd score more than the other team is the question. But if he could get 6 wins a year and make it to a bowl game with an exciting offense, I guess he'd get some better offers. I just think if he would wait a year those better offers would come sooner.

I think Malzahn is just the kind of personality that if people are telling him he can't win at Vandy, he's going to take the job to prove them wrong. Not that he is arrogant, I just believe he is very confident in his offensive philosophy. I honestly thought/think he would try to prove people wrong in the NFL before going somewhere like Vandy...

Well, if he wasn't very open to it, I can't imagine he would be up there negotiating. And if they have offered more than anyone would have previously imagined...

Sounds to me like he's buying time to talk to Auburn and say goodbye. Maybe not. Maybe he just needed to see what it really looked and felt like and he'll decide against it.

Of course he would score points at Vandy. Whether he'd score more than the other team is the question. But if he could get 6 wins a year and make it to a bowl game with an exciting offense, I guess he'd get some better offers. I just think if he would wait a year those better offers would come sooner.

I dont remember people busting down doors to talk to Bobby Johnson. Not saying he didnt do a great job - but it is not a very good stepping stone job.

I dont remember people busting down doors to talk to Bobby Johnson. Not saying he didnt do a great job - but it is not a very good stepping stone job.

I don't think the two are that similar, but Steve Sloan and Di Nardo moved up. That said, it is not a great stepping stone job. He can do better.

Update: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-vanderbilt-coach

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—Vanderbilt vice chancellor David Williams says the Commodores expect to announce their new football coach within the next day or so.

Williams declined to comment when asked Sunday if Vanderbilt has offered the job to anyone. The Commodores have been searching for a new coach since Robbie Caldwell resigned Nov. 27, and they wanted to announce the new coach before students leave for their winter break later this week.

<< 44 minutes ago >>

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—Vanderbilt vice chancellor David Williams says the Commodores expect to announce their new football coach within the next day or so.

Williams declined to comment when asked Sunday if Vanderbilt has offered the job to anyone. The Commodores have been searching for a new coach since Robbie Caldwell resigned Nov. 27, and they wanted to announce the new coach before students leave for their winter break later this week.

<< 44 minutes ago >>

That is not good.

<< 44 minutes ago >>

That is not good.

Doesn't necessarily mean Gus, could be waiting on Gus's response and have a back up guy waiting in the wings if he says no.

Why is that not good? They likely know who the guy will be if Gus turns them down. Either way, they are announcing someone in the next day or so.

If there is a backup they want to offer, they still would need to work out some details to his satisfaction before announcing. I don't think it's good.

Huge mistake for Gus. No matter the system Vandy will never have the ball players to compete week in and week out. In all honesty the negotiations are about how much time he will spend recruiting fir Vandy and how much time he is coaching fir AU bowl game IMO. That scenario very seldom works out well. You can't work for two teams.

You don't get many chances at HC positions and to waste it at Vandy is such a mistake. I mean Muschamp just went FL. A couple of more years at AU and Gus could be up for much better jobs than thus.

<< 44 minutes ago >>

That is not good.

Doesn't necessarily mean Gus, could be waiting on Gus's response and have a back up guy waiting in the wings if he says no.

And/or, it's probably their way of saying that they don't have a head coach right NOW, in response to the original report...

Archived