Christian Westerman commits! (updated)

Trooper'sHat

If Grimes turns down the Texas offer and returns to AU, what are the chances we snag Westerman from Texas? I am by no means a recruiting insider nor do I have access to the insider news but I have heard from people with these resources that Westerman to AU is likely as long as we keep Grimes. Is this really true and if so, when does he plan to announce? He is an extremely highly regarded recruit so does this indicate he will hold off until NSD?

A small bio from ESPN:

Westerman is the dominant type run blocker who knocks defensive lineman back where they came from. His size and athleticism are what we like to see at the major level of competition. Shows good flexibility in a three point stance; comes off the ball with very good initial quickness and explosion. Plays with a flat back and good pad level when drive blocking; blocks with a wide base and the leg drive to get movement off the line of scrimmage. This guy has the agility to handle inside quickness and change of direction moves. Demonstrates very good pull / trap mechanics; can get to the edge, seal and play on his feet well in space. When he locks up with linebackers it usually results in a pancake as his excellent upper body playing strength becomes evident. We also like his effort to finish and look for a second blocks downfield. Although we see the athleticism and nimble feet to excel as a pass blocker some fine tuning will be necessary. Displays good short set and initial punch skill; has good arm length and quick hands. Works to relocate and extend while showing he can adjust to alternate inside moves. We see the flexibility to bend and slide his feet to the deep set point. When taking on a strong bull rush will show a tendency to over extend with his initial punch, causing him to and play too tall. However his playing strength will win out when he clamps down on defenders. This is a tough aggressive guy who will dominate and finish blocks in a punishing fashion. Westerman has the frame to put on additional weight. As this occurs he should see early playing time which will allow him to polish his skills, leading to a very long and productive career at the major level of competition.

Also according to ESPN's ratings, 5-star Westerman is the best tackle in the nation as well as the 4th best prospect overall. Adding him to our class would be a huge help to the offensive line next year.

222413.jpg

Christian Westerman, OT/OG

Chandler, AZ

6'5 / 288 / 5.0

Offers (23+): Alabama, Arizona, Arizona State, Arkansas, AUBURN, California, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Miami (Fl.), Michigan, Nebraska, North Carolina, Northern Arizona, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Texas, UCLA, USC and Washington, among others.

Rankings:

Rivals: 4-star, No. 27 nationally (Rivals100 member), No. 1 in Arizona, No. 3 OT prospect

247Sports: 5-star, No. 98 nationally (The 247 member), No. 1 in Arizona, No. 3 OT prospect

Scout: 5-star, No. 1 OG prospect

One of the top OL prospects nationally and it is easy to see why. Westerman is a physical speciman that gets after defenders. Gets off the ball well and uses his tremendous strength to bury opponents. But he is not just a mauler, Westerman is a gifted athlete and technician. Very sound in pass protection and has great feet. Plays RT now and could stay there or move inside and play OG at the next level. Is a player that can contribute right away.

http://auburn.scout.com/a.z?s=6&p=8&c=1&nid=3948485

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're probably not going to get him, most sites reported him showing interest but it's starting to look like he is solid to Texas again, but you never know for sure. I think we have a chance of getting him, but it's a low chance.

We're probably not going to get him, most sites reported him showing interest but it's starting to look like he is solid to Texas again, but you never know for sure. I think we have a chance of getting him, but it's a low chance.

We have a good shot at getting him. He is supposed to visit Texas soon and they dont even have an OL coach.

We have a good shot at getting him. He is supposed to visit Texas soon and they dont even have an OL coach.

Well, that is good news, up until now I've only been hearing we were a long shot. He would be a great addition and another big pick up from Texas for this Staff

My apologies, I keep thinking he is from TX.

I thought that USC was making a big push for Westerman and it's basically them and Texas with Arizona State as an outside change?

If we have a good chance of getting him why isn't he on the Scout or AU undercover prospect list for Auburn? And why is Auburn listed as a "No Interest" school on his Scout bio page and Auburn undercover bio page, which doesn't even list Auburn as a school of interest? Are there some reports out there I'm not aware of? I know Rivals has Auburn listed as a medium interest, but that's the only one and AUundercover doesn't even have us listed at all.

Why does Rivals list Auburn as the only school of interest for Frost when at this point it looks like he's not going to end up at Auburn?

Metafour,

You're usually spot on when it comes to recruiting and that is without question. I was only asking what you were basing your opinion that we had a good chance of getting him on. The only reason I was asking was because ESPN, Scout, and AUundercover all seem to think we don't, or at least that was my impression. I was just wondering what you were basing it on because if there was an article or link I would have liked to read it because he is a great prospect for us and I hope we are in the running for him.

Metafour,

You're usually spot on when it comes to recruiting and that is without question. I was only asking what you were basing your opinion that we had a good chance of getting him on. The only reason I was asking was because ESPN, Scout, and AUundercover all seem to think we don't, or at least that was my impression. I was just wondering what you were basing it on because if there was an article or link I would have liked to read it because he is a great prospect for us and I hope we are in the running for him.

You're looking at the "schools of interest" under the profiles as if they actually mean much. Most of those are very rare to be updated. 247 (AuburnUndercover) doesn't even have Auburn listed among 18 other schools for Westerman yet he took an official visit to Auburn a month ago. Furthermore; for all intensive purposes Westerman is still committed to Texas publicly thus there is no reason for them to overhaul anything on his profile.

I was looking at the prosepct/considering lists. Westerman was on Scout's and ESPN's after his visit but has since been taken off and no longer listed as considering Auburn at all. Was just wondering if you has some info that rest of us didn't have access to.

Hearing that Westermann will de-commit from Texas and announce for Auburn on Friday.

I hope you're right. I saw where he is announcing tomorrow. Has he taken an official visit to AU yet?

HookEm.com is saying that Westerman will have a press conference tomorrow saying he is de-commiting from Texas and commiting to Auburn. Keep your fingers crossed.

Hearing that Westermann will de-commit from Texas and announce for Auburn on Friday.

Link

In an e-mail sent by Chandler Hamilton senior All-America tackle Christian Westerman's father, Chris, tonight, he wrote, "There has been a significant recruiting update... and we would like to set up an announcement date for this Friday, Jan. 21, at Hamilton High School to announce some breaking news on his college decision to the media."

It appears Westerman will decommit from Texas and pledge to Auburn, especially after Texas lost out this week on hiring offensive line coach Jeff Grimes away from Auburn to replace retired Mac McWhorter, with whom Westerman and his family had developed a special bond. Grimes decided to remain at Auburn.

Westerman, 6-foot-5, 295 pounds, rated by Rivals as the 18th top prospect in the nation, was scheduled to take his official recruiting trip to Texas this weekend. That now appears canceled.

Grimes quickly hit it off with Westerman last month when Westerman took a recruiting trip to Auburn. During Auburn's stay here to prepare for the national championship game, Auburn coaches, including Grimes, visited Westerman at his home.

This one appears to be a done deal, huge pick up...

Received email from Christian Westerman's dad Tues. telling me his son was headed to #Auburn and "War Eagle." More info on Orangebloods.com

@bperroni

HookEm.com is saying that Westerman will have a press conference tomorrow saying he is de-commiting from Texas and commiting to Auburn. Keep your fingers crossed.

1.jpg

This is awesome news. This recruiting class could be better than last years top 5 class. WOW. This staff is really working their tails off for our university.

If this happens I think we are a lock for a top 5 recruiting class. Others will follow in the next week.

I think you are right, but I've learned in recruiting to never consider any player or any class a "lock" until the signed letters of intent roll off the fax machine.

However, at this point this class looks like it will surpass last year's in terms of the number of nationally sought prospects. :cheer:

Westerman to Announce

By Jason Jewell

Southwest Recruiting Analyst

The nation's #1 offensive guard prospect is expected to pick between Texas and Auburn at a press conference at Hamilton High School on Friday the 21st.

http://auburn.scout.com/2/1041044.html

If this happens I think we are a lock for a top 5 recruiting class. Others will follow in the next week.

I think you are right, but I've learned in recruiting to never consider any player or any class a "lock" until the signed letters of intent roll off the fax machine.

However, at this point this class looks like it will surpass last year's in terms of the number of nationally sought prospects. :cheer:

I agree Mikey, I hate to count the chickens before they hatch. It just seems like when we started playing well, the big names took notice. I think if we land a few by signing day the others will feel more comfortable knowing they will spend 4 years with good talent and good coaches on the Plains.

Archived