Tide for Toomers / Designs

AU Lover

I donated....

Not being cute but I'm curious.....did you donate or pledge? Who is accepting the money and who at Auburn will it be given to?

I honestly could not tell you. I donated and paid via paypal. I didn't do much research since I heard that the Auburn University had ask for a repost of this or is in some way involved.

Hmmmm, could I interest you in a few acres of land I own. It's in the flood plain but other than that it's a great piece of property.

Yea I know, I know. But as public as this is you can bet that the money will go to where it is supposed to go. Not only that Paypal is VERY strict when it comes to Donation accounts like the one that is set up. I had to jump through hoops when I set one up to raise money for kids at Christmas through a website I own. Had to send in back account info, Not for profit numbers and proof, etc..

I hope the IRS swoops in and confiscates all the money. I for one don't want it.

You're to Proud...Tiger.... :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is a bama PR stunt(which I certainly believe it is), it would even be a bigger(and better) PR move for Auburn to take the money and then donate it to a more important charity. That's where I really wish the money would go, and not from a PR standpoint. We don't need the money, there are many other people out there who could use more than us.

I'm not going to let you hate me Raptor. :thumbsup:

Yep, you're a bammer. Living in your dream world, every bit as Updyke does. Thinks we rolled Toomers to celebrate Bahr's death, so he's justified in killing 2 100+ year old trees. Doesn't care that it's against the law, does it anyway, because that's what he wants to do... 27-28 years later.

Nah he's a crazy! I actually told someone the other day that the story of that happening was not true.

PS. I live in a very real world. I love Jesus and he loves me! I am blessed with an awesome family and job! I am to blessed too be stressed!

Nah he's a crazy! I actually told someone the other day that the story of that happening was not true.

PS. I live in a very real world. I love Jesus and he loves me! I am blessed with an awesome family and job! I am to blessed too be stressed!

Did you just play the Jesus card :big:

Toomer's Corner oaks poisoned with herbicide; unlikely to survive

That is the real world.

I have a question to the designer. Did you get permission from UAT to use THEIR "A?" I mean, after all they wouldn't even allow their cheerleaders to use THEIR "A" on rings. Aren't you afraid they will sue you like they did Daniel Moore?

I have a question to the designer. Did you get permission from UAT to use THEIR "A?" I mean, after all they wouldn't even allow their cheerleaders to use THEIR "A" on rings. Aren't you afraid they will sue you like they did Daniel Moore?

Hi, good question. I originally designed these just to share with a few friends. It just went viral before I could control it Since then, I've locked down the designs with Creative Commons licenses. And no profit has been made to date on anything, so it shouldn't be an issue right now. Just in case, I have contacted Auburn's licensing office directly and will be working through things this week. I have also been in direct contact with the Tide for Toomer's group and will either work with them so they can utilize the artwork or just keep it as a tribute and nothing more. Ultimately, I'm an AU Alum hoping to give back to a school that means so much to me. Whether it be working directly with Auburn or privately and donating proceeds, preservation of the Toomer's tradition is most important.

Hi, good question. I originally designed these just to share with a few friends. It just went viral before I could control it Since then, I've locked down the designs with Creative Commons licenses. And no profit has been made to date on anything, so it shouldn't be an issue right now. Just in case, I have contacted Auburn's licensing office directly and will be working through things this week. I have also been in direct contact with the Tide for Toomer's group and will either work with them so they can utilize the artwork or just keep it as a tribute and nothing more. Ultimately, I'm an AU Alum hoping to give back to a school that means so much to me. Whether it be working directly with Auburn or privately and donating proceeds, preservation of the Toomer's tradition is most important.

That's good to know. Thanks for answering my question.

Yah had 2 pretty neat designs (Auburn traditional symbol of the tree, w/ Auburn colors ). Where ya made the mistake was painting it blood red and slapping on an Alabama mullet "A" in the middle. If you can't take the criticism along w/ the praise, 'dude', then maybe it's a good thing you are done w/ me.

In the design business, images and recognizable symbols are pretty important. The American flag, for example, is generally well liked and respected here, while a NAZI swastika is less appreciated. You'd not seriously think to replace the 50 stars on the US flag with a big red and black swastika , would you ?

Would you ?

I'd like to think the answer would be ' no ', but then I'm just talkin' " trash " .

:rolleyes:

And yes, I DO represent the TRUE Auburn family. You're not the one to claim otherwise. Sorry.

Expanding on my position (and points already raised by others)...

I think we all ought to strive to overcome the nastiness of the rivalry.

To me, TfT appears to be a genuine effort by decent alabama fans who are putting their money where there mouth is in condemning a hateful act.

So, I conclude that alabama fans trying to raise money for the cause -- especially since it appears to be AU approved (i.e., all the money will be going to the AU-controlled fund that has been established) -- is a good thing.

Just my two cents.

Why do you and others keep saying this is an effort by bama fans. It is NOT only bama fans. At least one of the "founders" is an Auburn fan and a lot of the pledges are from Auburn people. I don't know what the breakdown in pledges between Auburn and bama fans is. Do you?

You bring up a good point. I have no idea what the breakdown of the group is -- I'm sure there are some AU folks contributing. However, by definition, it was originally set up as a place for alabama fans who condemned the hate to put their money where the mouth was. Here's how they describe themselves and the purpose of the group...

As former students of the University of Alabama, we understand the importance of tradition. It is what binds past generations with those yet to come. The rolling of the trees at Toomer’s Corner is a unique and long-held tradition at Auburn University, and one that we grudgingly respect. We may not understand your rituals, but we have our own cherished traditions. And because of that, we support yours. We appreciate the culture of college football and have decided to take a stand.

The Alabama-Auburn rivalry is the best in all of sports. It makes the fall more interesting and enjoyable. We like taunting you, you enjoy poking fun at us, and even when it gets heated, we wouldn’t have it any other way.

What we don’t like is when good-natured rivalry is taken too far. That’s exactly what happened when “Al from Dadeville” maliciously vandalized the 135-year-old oaks at Toomer’s Corner. Those oak trees have withstood hundreds of storms, numerous droughts and more than a few rolls of Charmin. You could say that they have been through and seen it all, and they are landmarks of our state. The trees were there long before “Al” was born, and presumably would have been there long after he is gone.

We want you to know that we do not accept what “Al” has done. There is simply no excuse for this type of abhorrent behavior. We strongly condemn his actions. And although he claims to support the University of Alabama, in no way does he represent us or our alma mater.

As a token of good faith, we have established Tide for Toomer’s, a means by which fans of the Crimson Tide can contribute money to Auburn University’s efforts to rehabilitate or replace the poisoned trees.

On behalf of Tide for Toomer’s and the Alabama Nation, we pledge to uphold and safeguard the traditions in this state by showing reverence for the greatest rivalry in sports. We ask that supporters of the University of Alabama join with us in contributing to Tide for Toomer’s. With this effort, we hope to prove that while our rivalry is strong, our mutual respect is even stronger.

Roll Tide!

Jennifer Hanson, Birmingham

Clay Loftin, Prattville

Taylor Nichols, Tuscaloosa

Gina Smith, Montgomery

Camaran Williams, Pell City

http://www.facebook.com/TideforToomers?sk=info

It's also worth noting, AU appears to have 'endorsed' and is appreciative of their efforts...

Alabama fans, thank you for helping out during this time! We appreciate your support! Donations to this fund can be made on the Tide for Toomer's Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/auburnu

Under no circumstances should our icons be splashed in blood red ( crimson ) and white. Artistically it may " look " neat or be a curious juxtaposition of colors and symbols, but in this case, it simply does not work. This is a case of over thinking an idea to the point that you've gone WAY off course. While not speaking to the idea behind the logo, in a practical and real world, the end result comes off as extremely offensive.

You can try to sell it any way you'd like, but in light of the events and and tensions, I'd strongly suggest retiring that logo.

Also, no money raised by that organization should ever find its way to the restoring of Toomer's corner. I suggest donating it to the Arbor Day Foundation.

http://www.arborday.org/

I'm sorry you feel that way. Unfortunately, we seem to look at the world through different lenses. So does all Alabama fans fit into the same mold as the infamous "Al form Daleville?" This world is a mighty big place, and small minded talk and actions only get you so far. Good luck with that.

I feel that way, too, but you needn't be sorry for anyone. I don't think we should accept money from Bama. They have done horrible, horrible things to AU over the years. They have lied, cheated, stolen, and disparaged and damaged AU in every way imaginable. Many are even continuing an excuse narrative for this guy's actions.

Just because you haven't yet had to live it doesn't mean it didn't happen and will not happen again. They want AU destroyed.

We don't need their money. We didn't need their money in the beginning, and we don't need it today. Donate it to someone else.

Wait...was design boy angry at stuff I posted by alabama fans ? THAT trash ?

I think he was mad at the wrong party then. Oh well.

Personally, I applaud everyone who condemns the vandalism regardless of what school they root for. :thumbsup:

And I condemn everyone who applauds the act. :thumbsdown::angry:

Every Bama fan that I've talked to personally has condemned it and is appalled. That doesn't mean I've talked to every Bama fan out there, and judging by internet boards quite a few are being a$$es about it. But my personal acquaintances are genuinely offended that someone would do this in the name of their school.

As for coloring the Toomer's tree symbol: Might not have been the best judgment to make it crimson or put a Bama "A" on it, but I think it was done with the best of intentions. I'm not offended, just not enthusiastic.

Personally, I applaud everyone who condemns the vandalism regardless of what school they root for. :thumbsup:

And I condemn everyone who applauds the act. :thumbsdown::angry:

Every Bama fan that I've talked to personally has condemned it and is appalled. That doesn't mean I've talked to every Bama fan out there, and judging by internet boards quite a few are being a$$es about it. But my personal acquaintances are genuinely offended that someone would do this in the name of their school.

As for coloring the Toomer's tree symbol: Might not have been the best judgment to make it crimson or put a Bama "A" on it, but I think it was done with the best of intentions. I'm not offended, just not enthusiastic.

Well said.

If this is a bama PR stunt(which I certainly believe it is), it would even be a bigger(and better) PR move for Auburn to take the money and then donate it to a more important charity. That's where I really wish the money would go, and not from a PR standpoint. We don't need the money, there are many other people out there who could use more than us.

How about a scholarship fund for an Auburn forestry student? And I'm with you on the PR stunt. I went to the t4t FB page when it first went up and it was post after post about all the media coverage they were getting.

How about a scholarship fund for an Auburn forestry student? And I'm with you on the PR stunt. I went to the t4t FB page when it first went up and it was post after post about all the media coverage they were getting.

Lisa Singleton Rickman, ( lisa.singleton-rickman@timesdaily.com Phone: (256) 740-5735

) a staff writer for the Times Dailys in Florence, AL, posted...

" ..it's the general consenus in this newsroom that once again alabama has saved au from themselves---1,000 roles of toilet paper is the equivalent of one tree---I'd dare say those fools have used much more than 1,000 rolls of paper covering their own two oaks!!"

Which was then followed up later with...

"...there is apparently going to be news coverage from national news outlets about the barn's freaking trees. I am sure that these will be about how ridiculous it is that a dang university in Alabama throws freaking toilet paper into trees making the state look bad"

She later replied with this nugget....

To all the Bama haters: Instead of griping about posts you disagree with, get on board with those of us (yes, from the Bama Nation) who have started funds to help save/replace those beautiful historic trees. Then, you suddenly become...well, worthwhile.

So, you see exactly how she feels. Bama actually did us a FAVOR by killing the Toomer's trees ( yes, that's what she said ) and that they're more concerned w/ the national news media attention than atoning for the vicious destruction of an Auburn landmark.

However, when challenged on her comments, she's unrepentant. She then tries to turn the tables by calling anyone who doesn't "like" what she said a " bama hater. "

IT'S ABOUT BAMA LOOKING GOOD, NOT ABOUT EXTENDING ANY OLIVE BRANCHES! Why won't some folks get your heads out of the clouds and wake up!

Lisa, btw, graduated from N.Alabama. She is not an alum of UAT. But she's still every bit a part of the "Bama nation ".

Lisa Singleton Rickman, ( lisa.singleton-rickman@timesdaily.com Phone: (256) 740-5735

Raptor, where did you get those, from the facebook page? I want to send those on to some friends.

Raptor, where did you get those, from the facebook page? I want to send those on to some friends.

From http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=6&f=1010&t=7216623

( I believe those were fb posts, according what's posted on the other board. She's since deleted them )

Hi there. Yes, I'm the "self-proclaimed Auburn fan." I've been a fan since I was a kid...in a UGA household. When I was 5 years old, I wrote on a piece of paper that I wanted to go to Auburn University to be a Design Engineer. I lived the dream, and attended Auburn from 1998-2002. I graduated with a degree in Industrial Design and things came full circle. Since that time, I've been a mentor to young AU design students and represented my University as a leading professional in my field. Now, I'm a dad of a 2 year old little girl who knows that the AU logo is "Auburn", loves Aubie, and says "War Eagle" at the drop of a hat. On Thursday evening, after listening to sports talk in Birmingham all day and watching all the events of the Toomer's incident unfold, I was inspired to create a design that I could share with some friends as my own personal tribute. That design went viral and things went crazy from there. As a good Alum who's heart is right, I decided that all the hype about the designs could be put to good use if used for raising money to preserve our Toomer's tradtion. How amazing would it be to play a role in giving back to my alma mater for such a great cause. And so I contacted the University to show my designs, share my wishes and make sure this was handled properly in regards to licensing and fund raising. I still haven't heard back from them yet, but hope to by tomorrow

But back to Friday. While my designs were going viral, there was a bigger Facebook phenomenon growing. That was the Tide for Toomer's group, who in such a short amount of time has already raised almost $40K for our school as a sign of solidarity. In all the craziness of Friday, I was asked by a contributor if I had an Alabama version. I kept track of how the group was doing and decided that I would do my own part to support their cause by creating a modified version of my original Auburn Toomer's Oaks graphic. I chose to use the "A" as part of a tagline "Rise Above," which is exactly what that group and all the contributors were doing. At such an ugly time, and where our rivalry seemed to be headed to a dark place, the Alabama fans united to stand beside us instead of against us.

I say all of this to ask those to stand with me and that group. If your brother holds out his hand in a time in need, do you slap it away? We Auburn fans are better than that...at least I expect us to. Is my design really offensive now that you know the story? Is it still okay to question my loyalty to Auburn? I challenge you to search down deep, because a true Auburn man or woman lives by the Auburn Creed. This is bigger than the rivalry, and I hope if not now, someday you will have a change of heart. There, I've said my peace. The rest is up to you.

I don't have a problem with the red tree. Any Alabama fan who would wear that doesn't fit into the bammer mold in my book. I hate a true bammer (I use the term hate loosely here) as much as anyone, and yes bammers have done horrible things to AU over the years. However, anyone who would donate money to AU for the trees is most likely a pretty straight up bama fan and there are plenty of them out there. Unfortunately the toothless ones who never even go to games and the just plain auburn haters stick out like a sore thumb and make up a huge percentage of their fanbase. We have our haters too.

If one of our insane fans did something similar to bama, I'd feel bad. I doubt I'd donate money to the cause, but who knows. I just don't see the honor of turning down donations from Bama fans in this case. Put it to good use of some sort related to this incident.

Hi there. Yes, I'm the "self-proclaimed Auburn fan." I've been a fan since I was a kid...in a UGA household. When I was 5 years old, I wrote on a piece of paper that I wanted to go to Auburn University to be a Design Engineer. I lived the dream, and attended Auburn from 1998-2002. I graduated with a degree in Industrial Design and things came full circle. Since that time, I've been a mentor to young AU design students and represented my University as a leading professional in my field. Now, I'm a dad of a 2 year old little girl who knows that the AU logo is "Auburn", loves Aubie, and says "War Eagle" at the drop of a hat. On Thursday evening, after listening to sports talk in Birmingham all day and watching all the events of the Toomer's incident unfold, I was inspired to create a design that I could share with some friends as my own personal tribute. That design went viral and things went crazy from there. As a good Alum who's heart is right, I decided that all the hype about the designs could be put to good use if used for raising money to preserve our Toomer's tradtion. How amazing would it be to play a role in giving back to my alma mater for such a great cause. And so I contacted the University to show my designs, share my wishes and make sure this was handled properly in regards to licensing and fund raising. I still haven't heard back from them yet, but hope to by tomorrow

But back to Friday. While my designs were going viral, there was a bigger Facebook phenomenon growing. That was the Tide for Toomer's group, who in such a short amount of time has already raised almost $40K for our school as a sign of solidarity. In all the craziness of Friday, I was asked by a contributor if I had an Alabama version. I kept track of how the group was doing and decided that I would do my own part to support their cause by creating a modified version of my original Auburn Toomer's Oaks graphic. I chose to use the "A" as part of a tagline "Rise Above," which is exactly what that group and all the contributors were doing. At such an ugly time, and where our rivalry seemed to be headed to a dark place, the Alabama fans united to stand beside us instead of against us.

I say all of this to ask those to stand with me and that group. If your brother holds out his hand in a time in need, do you slap it away? We Auburn fans are better than that...at least I expect us to. Is my design really offensive now that you know the story? Is it still okay to question my loyalty to Auburn? I challenge you to search down deep, because a true Auburn man or woman lives by the Auburn Creed. This is bigger than the rivalry, and I hope if not now, someday you will have a change of heart. There, I've said my peace. The rest is up to you.

I don't have a problem with the red tree. Any Alabama fan who would wear that doesn't fit into the bammer mold in my book. I hate a true bammer (I use the term hate loosely here) as much as anyone, and yes bammers have done horrible things to AU over the years. However, anyone who would donate money to AU for the trees is most likely a pretty straight up bama fan and there are plenty of them out there. Unfortunately the toothless ones who never even go to games and the just plain auburn haters stick out like a sore thumb and make up a huge percentage of their fanbase. We have our haters too.

If one of our insane fans did something similar to bama, I'd feel bad. I doubt I'd donate money to the cause, but who knows. I just don't see the honor of turning down donations from Bama fans in this case. Put it to good use of some sort related to this incident.

On a side note, is anyone familiar with an AU fan doing anything crazy towards Bama? I can list a dozen Bama transgressions without binking, but can't remember us doing dumb stuff to them and their house. I can't think of anything right off-hand. Please spare us the "rolling Toomer's when the Bear passed" tripe.

On a side note, is anyone familiar with an AU fan doing anything crazy towards Bama? I can list a dozen Bama transgressions without binking, but can't remember us doing dumb stuff to them and their house. I can't think of anything right off-hand. Please spare us the "rolling Toomer's when the Bear passed" tripe.

It's the price we pay for having alluhbammer as a rival, lol. The latest idiot here is a perfect example. Filled with vitriolic hate based largely on some myth that one of the toothless legion passed on to him. The fact is they have more fans and a higher percentage of them are completely idiotic buffoons.

Archived