Focus on Trovon Reed

StatTiger

One of the players Gus Malzahn is counting on to be a major contributor when it comes to explosive plays is Trovon Reed. The red shirt freshman was grounded during Auburn’s national championship season due to a knee injury so Malzahn is hoping 2011 will be Reed’s coming out party as an Auburn Tiger. With his speed and lateral movement, Trovon Reed will primarily see action at wide receiver but he will likely be utilized as a running back and quarterback in the wildcat offense.

No matter where he is lined up, Gus Malzahn will scheme to put him into space to give Reed the best opportunity to make plays for the Auburn offense.

Creating space…

trovonreedoutpass.jpg

In this particular play, Auburn is in a 4-WR set with Trovon Reed part of the “trips” formation to the right. At the snap, Clint Moseley will play-action with the running back as Philip Lutzenkirchen and Quindarius Carr run vertical routes to clear space for Reed, who will be the primary receiver. Moseley will roll to his right as Reed fakes a crossing route and cuts back to run towards the boundary side. The DB covering Reed jumps the crossing route, leaving Reed wide open in the flat. Moseley completes the short pass to Reed, which results in a 7-yard gain. The Auburn defense recovered quickly on this play but the point is putting Trovon Reed in space to turn a short gain into a big play.

Reed and the running game…

trovonreedreverse.jpg

Once again, Auburn gives a pre-snap look of 4-WR’s but Onterio McCalebb will come in motion over the backfield just before the snap. At the snap, Barrett Trotter fakes the inside give to the RB and will run an option look to the right. Onterio McCalebb trails Trotter as Trovon Reed reverses his field coming in the opposite direction of Trotter. Trotter pitches the football to Reed who now sweeps to the left. The option look had the defense pursuing towards their left, the opposite direction Reed is headed. Poor blocking on the backside disrupted this play but once again it’s a play designed to put Reed into open space to make explosive plays.

During the 2004 season, the combination of Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown produced 38 plays of 15-yards or more. Last season, Michael Dyer and Onterio McCalebb equaled this same number of impact plays (38) but on fewer touches. Williams & Brown needed 448 touches to reach their 38 impact plays, while Dyer & McCalebb did it on 285 touches. Malzahn’s offense is a paradise for explosive plays and a player like Trovon Reed won’t require a high number of touches to make an impact in the game.

I don't think Reed will get a lot of snaps from a wildcat formation. I know there was a draw or two in his brief stint on the field last year but I think Malzahn will find him more effective as a slot receiver (screens, reverses, etc.). If anything out of the backfield, I see him motioning into an offset back position more than I can envision a lot of direct snaps.

Also, I think he has a chance to be a major playmaker as a punt returner.

I don't think Reed will get a lot of snaps from a wildcat formation. I know there was a draw or two in his brief stint on the field last year but I think Malzahn will find him more effective as a slot receiver (screens, reverses, etc.). If anything out of the backfield, I see him motioning into an offset back position more than I can envision a lot of direct snaps.

He had a couple of big runs from the WC during spring of 2010 (scrimmages).

He had a couple of big runs from the WC during spring of 2010 (scrimmages).

Yeah ... I just think of him more like 23 - best in space.

Archived