LIstening to uga's Mark Richt...

AURaptor

Especially w / regards to tossing former players( King and Ealey ) under the bus, it really does appear that he's trying hard to fabricate an atmosphere, trying to sell his players and staff something which isn't really there. I don't know, but it does come across as manufactured and forced, as opposed to there being a burning drive, a true focus to get better.

Of course, what's he suppose to say? He's only the coach, he can't REALLY have all that much impact on a team, right ?

Even w/ the challenge of losing 2 of their upperclassmen backs, and growing dangerously thin on the OL, and oh yeah, starting off w/ 2 top 15 opponents, uga stands to improve on last year's miserable 6-7 effort.

I could be reading a lot into his comments that isn't there, but he's talking a big game, of bringing this whole different tone to the team, yet he spends his summer off doing mission work ( not that there's anything wrong w/ that )

I think Richt is boxed into talking like that. UGA fans are in an uproar over their 6-7 season. If Richt doesn't come through with 9 or more wins there will be riots over there.

Especially w / regards to tossing former players( King and Ealey ) under the bus, it really does appear that he's trying hard to fabricate an atmosphere, trying to sell his players and staff something which isn't really there. I don't know, but it does come across as manufactured and forced, as opposed to there being a burning drive, a true focus to get better.

Of course, what's he suppose to say? He's only the coach, he can't REALLY have all that much impact on a team, right ?

Even w/ the challenge of losing 2 of their upperclassmen backs, and growing dangerously thin on the OL, and oh yeah, starting off w/ 2 top 15 opponents, uga stands to improve on last year's miserable 6-7 effort.

I could be reading a lot into his comments that isn't there, but he's talking a big game, of bringing this whole different tone to the team, yet he spends his summer off doing mission work ( not that there's anything wrong w/ that )

I agree, Raptor. Seems like Richt's heart is in his mission work, not football, these days. And there certainly isn't anything wrong with that, except that he's short-changing the team he coaches and the university he works for, not to mention the fans. My humble 2 cents.

with regards to his comments on former players, I really don't see why he'd even feel the need to go there, as it seems to be out of character for Richt. It comes across as sounding desperate, to the point that he's overdoing it, just to put on a good front.

I am not sure (like you said) why he would say anything different

It is hard to say that he is being over-confident since he isn't guaranteeing anything

He knows the pressure is on and he, imo, has a talented team (not saying the most talented...but talented with some NFL players) so why not give a nice outlook? If we suck again this year, there is nothing that can be done or said that would save him from the bricks falling on top of his head. There is little point doing anything other than being positive at this point.

And I am not sure why his mission work would have anything to do with his pre-season prep. It was a week trip I believe that some players join him on in past years. Hard to see that being a negative in any way, shape, or form.

UGA fans have some things to complain about. The fact that their coach chooses to spend one week during a recruiting dead period doing mission work with other members of the program is not one of them.

UGA fans have some things to complain about. The fact that their coach chooses to spend one week during a recruiting dead period doing mission work with other members of the program is not one of them.

This is absolute fact. I don't give a rats' you-know-what about what these coaches choose to do on some time off, but every major college coach puts in hundreds upon hundreds of extra hours every year in order to stay competitive. If they go duck hunting, do mission work or cruise the bars on South Beach, they've earned it.

And I am not sure why his mission work would have anything to do with his pre-season prep. It was a week trip I believe that some players join him on in past years. Hard to see that being a negative in any way, shape, or form.

The mission work may be seen by some fans as, say... another coach goin' duck hunting during their 'down time'. It's only an issue if don't beat your instate rival.

Archived