Is it just me?

AuCivilEng1

Is it just me or do these names being thrown around for OC not seem very exiting? I personally would like to get maybe Philip Montgomery. Just feel like the rumored candidates may not be that appealing to a recruit.

The names don't do squat for me one way or the other. I'm not a fan of pro football so I don't know anything about NFL assistant coaches. I'm just trusting Coach Chizik to get the right guy.

Is it just me or do these names being thrown around for OC not seem very exiting? I personally would like to get maybe Philip Montgomery. Just feel like the rumored candidates may not be that appealing to a recruit.

Can you tell me more about Philip Montgomery and what makes him an exciting candidate. I've never heard of him.

Can you tell me more about Philip Montgomery and what makes him an exciting candidate. I've never heard of him.

+1

He is the Co-OC of Baylor. Coaches the QB's (RG3) and RB,s. He coached the Houston RB's and QB's until 2008. Named QB coach of the year this year. His QB won the Heisman. Baylor did some damage in the Big 12 this year. I just feel like a recruit will get more exited about him than a position coach from the NFL because NFL position coaches really are in the spotlight much and a lot of people really don't know about them. Just my view on it. Coach Chiz is gonna pick the guy who he thinks is the best guy for the job. And its probably gonna be a great hire. I was just giving my opinion.

He is the Co-OC of Baylor. Coaches the QB's (RG3) and RB,s. He coached the Houston RB's and QB's until 2008. Named QB coach of the year this year. His QB won the Heisman. Baylor did some damage in the Big 12 this year. I just feel like a recruit will get more exited about him than a position coach from the NFL because NFL position coaches really are in the spotlight much and a lot of people really don't know about them. Just my view on it. Coach Chiz is gonna pick the guy who he thinks is the best guy for the job. And its probably gonna be a great hire. I was just giving my opinion.

I think being a Co-OC is like being a position coach. I know he was a part of something special down in Waco, but I'd like to get Knapp or Chryst. I really like Knapp. If his style is anything like the Texans, I'd be pretty happy with that. Ben Tate seems to think he'd be a pretty good one.

Thanks for the update, maybe he'll get an interview.

I feel like there is a difference between having a coach who can develop young high school talent and a coach who takes a college senior or junior who has already been developed enough to make it to the NFL and teaches them an offense. With Keihl and Zeike we are going to need a mentor and teacher before we can ever have a fine tuned offense. That's why I like Montgomery over Knapp.

I feel like there is a difference between having a coach who can develop young high school talent and a coach who takes a college senior or junior who has already been developed enough to make it to the NFL and teaches them an offense. With Keihl and Zeike we are going to need a mentor and teacher before we can ever have a fine tuned offense. That's why I like Montgomery over Knapp.

However, Knapp has coached in college before so he knows the menitoring/teacher side too. I'm not sure if Montgomery has the professional coaching experience. Bottom line is CGC will make the right hire.

I still maintain Florida got the offensive coordinator that I believe would have been the perfect fit at Auburn, Boise States OC. Since he is gone, I too am trusting CGC with the next OC selection. As long as it's not another Franklin failure we should be okay.

I personally would like to get maybe Philip Montgomery.

Who we hire depends on which direction we want to take the offense. It is obvious that we are pushing towards a more pro-oriented offense (see: transfer of Prosch, a pure fullback) hence the desire to land an NFL coach. Montgomery is a spread offense guy.

Who we hire depends on which direction we want to take the offense. It is obvious that we are pushing towards a more pro-oriented offense (see: transfer of Prosch, a pure fullback) hence the desire to land an NFL coach. Montgomery is a spread offense guy.

For what it's worth, I think Malzahn would have found a role for Prosch in his offense. WV has had some success using similar guys - Owen Schmidt (sp?) under RichRod; don't recall the guy's name they used this year, under Holgerson - in different, non-pro-oriented offenses. Point is that, whatever the scheme, a good OC finds a way to get his best talent on the field (e.g., Al Borges).

If Prosch came to Auburn on the understanding that he'd be used as a "true" fullback, in an I-formation / pro-style offense, that's one thing - but that means he knows something the rest of us don't. Otherwise, I don't know that CGC has necessarily tipped his hand - it's certainly not "obvious."

Is Prosch really an indicator? If he filled the blocking portion of Lutz' role, how different is that from an pro-style Fullback? More formation movement, but the assignments are the exact same. I don't think his transfer is as strong an indicator of a system shift as others have hinted. We could change, but I don't think Prosch would be lost or misused in Malzahn's offense.

I keep hearing we're going to the pro-oriented offense with a fullback. But when I watch pro football, which is very little, I rarely see a pure fullback in an I-type offense. Most of what I see is single back spread. So is pro-oriented a term that references the old style the pros used to play or the current schemes? Please educate me on what pro-oriented means.

I think being a Co-OC is like being a position coach. I know he was a part of something special down in Waco, but I'd like to get Knapp or Chryst. I really like Knapp. If his style is anything like the Texans, I'd be pretty happy with that. Ben Tate seems to think he'd be a pretty good one.

Surely you aren't talking about Chryst, from Wisconsin...right? Because you do know he already has a new job...right?

Yea it would be nice to run out of a single back or I formation but do we really want a pure pro style offense? I mean this was the first year we had. A team roster with all spread players.

Surely you aren't talking about Chryst, from Wisconsin...right? Because you do know he already has a new job...right?

I'm pretty sure he's referring to Geep Chryst of the San Francisco 49ers.

Archived