Willie Martinez Coaching

RunInRed

Didnt we just hire the entire Van Gorder era? Seems more encouraging than discouraging.

Yeah, I really don't understand why UGA fans keep trying to throw the "Martinez was a crappy DC" thing in our faces. Massive logical disconnect.

No idea if our secondary will get any better under him- I really, really hope it does- but the fact that he wasn't a successful DC at UGA has absolutely no bearing on whether or not he'll succeed as a position coach at Auburn.

War Eagle, Coach. Give 'em hell.

Yeah, I really don't understand why UGA fans keep trying to throw the "Martinez was a crappy DC" thing in our faces. Massive logical disconnect.

No idea if our secondary will get any better under him- I really, really hope it does- but the fact that he wasn't a successful DC at UGA has absolutely no bearing on whether or not he'll succeed as a position coach at Auburn.

:thumbsup:

Setting aside that the thread title is "Willie Martinez Coaching", I think the connection is actually quite clear.

When BVG was at UGA, he controlled most of the DC positions because he was an absolute control freak (which was a good thing). Willie was technically the Secondary Coach but the teachings came from BVG. Players were scared and probably are still scared of BVG especially the linebackers.....again, that is a good thing as it worked.

When BVG left, Willie took over the Secondary over and the disaster began and got worse. As I said in another post, former players of Willie will tell you how absolutely atrocious his CB technique is which entails stuffing the WR's at the line and just throwing your hands up wildly in the hopes of maybe touching the ball. The absolute and utter way that our Secondary imploded during his tenure as DC was a direct correlation to him and his teachings.

So, seeing as to how nobody knows whether BVG will leave the Secondary up to Willie or not....we are just trying to give you forewarning.

I for one welcome SL's opinion. I don't think he's trying to just bash this hire.

If fact, I'd like to hear his opinion on the tackling during these eras.

I for one welcome SL's opinion. I don't think he's trying to just bash this hire.

Your tackling will be fine because BVG will and does have his own technique which involves the player trying to murder the opponent. Controlled out-of-control rage which scares the players....in a good way.

Love BVG

Miss the man

Setting aside that the thread title is "Willie Martinez Coaching", I think the connection is actually quite clear.

When BVG was at UGA, he controlled most of the DC positions because he was an absolute control freak (which was a good thing). Willie was technically the Secondary Coach but the teachings came from BVG. Players were scared and probably are still scared of BVG especially the linebackers.....again, that is a good thing as it worked.

When BVG left, Willie took over the Secondary over and the disaster began and got worse. As I said in another post, former players of Willie will tell you how absolutely atrocious his CB technique is which entails stuffing the WR's at the line and just throwing your hands up wildly in the hopes of maybe touching the ball. The absolute and utter way that our Secondary imploded during his tenure as DC was a direct correlation to him and his teachings.

So, seeing as to how nobody knows whether BVG will leave the Secondary up to Willie or not....we are just trying to give you forewarning.

Right. Not "Willie Martinez Coordinating Defenses". Cut your graph in half and retitle it "The Brian van Gorder with Martinez as Secondary Coach Effect" and you will have something relevant to the coaching staff currently at Auburn.

Good input on Martinez's actual coaching of technique. While relevant, though, I find it equally relevant that you consider BVG a control freak who will not allow Martinez's technique to be taught. Also, given the focus of Chizik's hires on recruiting, it's not a stretch to assume that Martinez was brought on board for GA and south FL recruiting advantage, not for his poor position coaching.

Good to hear about the tackling.

Your tackling will be fine because BVG will and does have his own technique which involves the player trying to murder the opponent. Controlled out-of-control rage which scares the players....in a good way.

Love BVG

Miss the man

This I like to hear. :thumbsup:

Of course the murder part I mean in the figurative sense.... :big:

Any one care to plot Roof on that chart? ;)

you would have to re-scale the axis...

You made me LOL.

:big:

And cry...

Any one care to plot Roof on that chart? ;)

you would have to re-scale the axis...

You made me LOL.

:big:

And cry...

So very true....

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Archived