Thanks to all who provided links and commentary on the entire story. Even if other sources did have some coverage, it was this website that I kept returning to for details and the "heart" of this entire process. This thread needs to be in the "all time great contributions" category. It's an example of how random people all over the world who have interest in Auburn can get together to share facts and opinions.

Well done, everybody!

War Eagle!

I agree! I found more info here and hope I helped provide what I was able to get from PC's today. I know that there is no other University Family out there than can come close to The Auburn Family.

Dana, We hate the event that brought you here, but I'm glad you found us and hope you will stick around and post with us. We have a good time here.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to all who provided links and commentary on the entire story. Even if other sources did have some coverage, it was this website that I kept returning to for details and the "heart" of this entire process. This thread needs to be in the "all time great contributions" category. It's an example of how random people all over the world who have interest in Auburn can get together to share facts and opinions.

Well done, everybody!

War Eagle!

I agree! I found more info here and hope I helped provide what I was able to get from PC's today. I know that there is no other University Family out there than can come close to The Auburn Family.

Dana, We hate the event that brought you here, but I'm glad you found us and hope you will stick around and post with us. We have a good time here.

Thanks! I am here till you guys make me leave LOL. There are few things I love more than Auburn, my husband, my daughter, the beach.......but we are All In for Auburn here at our home. My husband is a graduate, my daughter plans to attend Auburn in a few years and I just wish I had been fortunate enough to attend many years ago! Thanks for the welcome!

Hopefully this whole situation will bring some change to this world we unfortunatly live in. Auburn is more than just a place of history and tradition. It is a place for change. The definition of 'tradition' was changed here. The way the media handles themselves and the way the NCAA handles investigations changed here. The game of football was changed here. The lives of (nearly) every single person that has ever stepped on campus have changed here. We can only hope that since this did happen in Auburn, that it will change society. Something needs to change, thats for sure.

Reguardless of how "excited" we may all be at this moment we are all going to go through a lot of emotions. We must remember that, even though, this man killed two young men and wounded four others, he is someones son. Someone out there loves him and cares about his well being. He did a horrible thing but, he did the right thing by turning himself in.

This incident left four with wounds they will never forget and took away three sons from their mothers.

The mixed emotions are because, none of us know if we should be happy he is caught or sad that he made such a poor decison that cost him the lives of two wonderful people and his own. At least this is where I am at.

WAR EAGLE FAMILY ALL IN!

You're at a different place than me. First, he didn't just take three sons from their mothers. At least two of the young men were fathers. I am pretty sure they also had fathers and there are probably some brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, and grandparents that also lost their loved ones.

In my mind there is no way to justify killing innocent people and I have no sympathy for him or his family.

Well done, everybody!

War Eagle!

:thumbsup:

From @HABOTN

Desmontes Leonard is now booked in the Montgomery County Jail!

http://mcso.mc-ala.org/pubquery/Details/pgDetails.aspx?id=116921

Hmmm ... supposedly, wasn't there a beer bottle broken over his head during the incident? Doesn't appear to be any cuts on his face or head...

560774_10150965877584456_71492353_n.jpg

I do feel for this guy, just a little. Here is a prime example to how stupid mistake(s) can ruin your life. Hanging with the wrong crowd can lead to all this. I feel bad for him because of the past he has lived through. Now, because of his biggest mistake, he will spend all eternity in a place no one wants to go (unless he comes to his senses in jail and speaks to the chaplain...). The guy hadn't eaten since Saturday. Its kinda tough not to feel for him for that fact alone. And to me, he earns a little (the slightest amount) of respect for turning himself in.

I'm not saying he's a good guy, and trying to ride off all he has done. Just saying he is a human being, and he has had, and will have, a tough life. Its sad that there are people out there that have to go through all this, even if it is of their doing...

I do feel for this guy, just a little. Here is a prime example to how stupid mistake(s) can ruin your life. Hanging with the wrong crowd can lead to all this. I feel bad for him because of the past he has lived through. Now, because of his biggest mistake, he will spend all eternity in a place no one wants to go (unless he comes to his senses in jail and speaks to the chaplain...). The guy hadn't eaten since Saturday. Its kinda tough not to feel for him for that fact alone. And to me, he earns a little (the slightest amount) of respect for turning himself in.

I'm not saying he's a good guy, and trying to ride off all he has done. Just saying he is a human being, and he has had, and will have, a tough life. Its sad that there are people out there that have to go through all this, even if it is of their doing...

I agree Clint. That was well said. I am glad he turned himself in and that nobody else, including him (I want him to get his time in prison), was hurt.

Also, thanks AUFamily for this thread. Between this and Twitter, I knew what was going on constantly. War Eagle y'all.

Just to see where this thread ranks as far as "most viewed threads" go, just do a sort on that measure (at the top of the page) and prepare to have your mind blown! Upwards of over 100,000 views more than #2 as of this post!

Just to see where this thread ranks as far as "most viewed threads" go, just do a sort on that measure (at the top of the page) and prepare to have your mind blown! Upwards of over 100,000 views more than #2 as of this post!

As well as 4 more pages of comments (and counting) than the 2nd most commented thread, which was the 2006 "Fear the thumb" Iron Bowl. Coverage and support has been amazing this weekend. Thank you AUFamily for the effort, and allowing me to help as much as I did. Tried to help as much as I could, and hopefully take some of the strain of Red :).

Couldn't have done it without you AUFamily. Appreciate the opportunity.

WAR EAGLE... Forever

Living in michigan, this was the best place to get all the info. Thanks for the posts.

I was just googling to see if there any apps (seriously) to detect guns or metal. Looks like there are some out there..Not that would solve the issue, but if it works that would be a good way to keep hidden weapons from your party.(Its unfortunate, but better safe than sorry)

Hmmm ... supposedly, wasn't there a beer bottle broken over his head during the incident? Doesn't appear to be any cuts on his face or head...

I think it was one of his friends that got hit with the beer bottle.

I suggest we lock this thread to preserve its content and open a post-arrest thread.

I agree with Eagle. It is time. There needs to be a different thread.

Hard to disagree. Very well said.

I don't feel bad for him one bit. Having a bad life doesn't mean making bad decisions are ok (not saying you said that). Look at TJ Jackson, he grew up poor in Opelika with a dead beat dad, now he is working on a doctorate degree at Auburn and working in Athletics, look at the story of the high school in NC who had drug abusing and child abusing dead beat parents. She grew up literally in poverty, dirt, with nothing, and has overcome that to get a scholarship to Harvard!! Leonard made the decision to return to that complex and shoot people, CLEARLY showing his intent!! I feel for his family that has to deal with being related to him, but not him.

It will be interesting to see how the court case plays out, if he tries to plea bargain (my guess to avoid death penalty) or take it to trial b/c there is some info he thinks will change things (the statement from the attorney who turned him in). The court proceedings will stay as a top story once it gets going! You can bet that the DA and detectives want to know where the gun is that he used. That might keep him off death row too.

My view point is more in line with Clint's. I believe his actions will be punished by the deepest depths of the law, and it will be well deserved, however I cannot wish him harm or be cold hearted. He is a thug punk young man and while his life has been difficult, he had 2 paths he could walk, and he picked the one that seemed easier with the quickest solution.

Picking oneself up by your bootstraps and vowing to have a different life takes work, effort, dedication, and the will to not become where you came from. The path he stepped down was one of quick gratification, with zero regard for others, the law, and basically just what is right and wrong. So many today in our society want the QUICK gratification and are willing to go to any lengths to get it.

Now as a result of his actions, he will never walk free again, go where he wants when he wants, wake up when he wants, eat what he wants. That is the price he must pay for his actions. As a mother there is NOTHING my child could do that would make me stop loving her, however, if she plays she must pay.

His family are also in my prayers, and while I do understand they have to be feeling like they lost their son, the other families DID lose theirs. Death is final, there are no more words spoken, hugs given, etc.

He deserves his punishment, but he does not deserve my condemnation. There is a judge, jury, and God for that.

Just my 0.20cents

I don't feel bad for him one bit. Having a bad life doesn't mean making bad decisions are ok (not saying you said that). Look at TJ Jackson, he grew up poor in Opelika with a dead beat dad, now he is working on a doctorate degree at Auburn and working in Athletics, look at the story of the high school in NC who had drug abusing and child abusing dead beat parents. She grew up literally in poverty, dirt, with nothing, and has overcome that to get a scholarship to Harvard!! Leonard made the decision to return to that complex and shoot people, CLEARLY showing his intent!! I feel for his family that has to deal with being related to him, but not him.

It will be interesting to see how the court case plays out, if he tries to plea bargain (my guess to avoid death penalty) or take it to trial b/c there is some info he thinks will change things (the statement from the attorney who turned him in). The court proceedings will stay as a top story once it gets going! You can bet that the DA and detectives want to know where the gun is that he used. That might keep him off death row too.

I believe it is off of Wire Rd. That is where his car was found after he fled the scene.

My view point is more in line with Clint's. I believe his actions will be punished by the deepest depths of the law, and it will be well deserved, however I cannot wish him harm or be cold hearted. He is a thug punk young man and while his life has been difficult, he had 2 paths he could walk, and he picked the one that seemed easier with the quickest solution.

Picking oneself up by your bootstraps and vowing to have a different life takes work, effort, dedication, and the will to not become where you came from. The path he stepped down was one of quick gratification, with zero regard for others, the law, and basically just what is right and wrong. So many today in our society want the QUICK gratification and are willing to go to any lengths to get it.

Now as a result of his actions, he will never walk free again, go where he wants when he wants, wake up when he wants, eat what he wants. That is the price he must pay for his actions. As a mother there is NOTHING my child could do that would make me stop loving her, however, if she plays she must pay.

His family are also in my prayers, and while I do understand they have to be feeling like they lost their son, the other families DID lose theirs. Death is final, there are no more words spoken, hugs given, etc.

He deserves his punishment, but he does not deserve my condemnation. There is a judge, jury, and God for that.

Just my 0.20cents

I agree with this. Many come from much worse to become much better.

I see this fellow as a real punk who completely messed up his life on earth and in doing so brought a tremendous amount of heart ache to many unnumbered others ... to which I say whatever he gets here will be better than he deserves. Now he has an opportunity to try and make the right decisions and get things right for eternity by truly repenting of his great sins and asking the Lord Jesus Christ to become the Lord of his life ... this I hope and pray he will do. From the eternal perspective this would create beauty from a heaping pile of ashes, but only from the eternal perspective ... for him down here his life is over.

My real compassion goes out to the family, friends, loved ones, and the AU Family who are all experiencing so much pain. My most fervent prayers go out to this group.

For me,this has caused football to move back into the shadows at this time.

Gas him, it will save millions. I don't hate the guy, it would be a waste of energy. I'm just sayin.

Completely agree.

Archived