2012 Reporting Day (07/31/12)

RunInRed

Daren Bates says Jonathan Wallace has shown leadership in summer workouts, said it's obvious.

Bates also singled out Jovon Robinson's ability to get up the field, catch the ball in 7-on-7 drills.

Under VanGorder, Bates says the goal is to have more tackles than the 104 he made last year, tops on the team.

Not exactly a surprising revelation on Wallace. He was the same way at Central-Phenix City in the playoffs last year.

Jeff Whitaker says Gabe Wright started running late in the summer after a foot injury in the spring; Kenneth Carter has looked good.

Asked about the young'uns, T'Sharvan Bell said Jonathan Jones is fast, fast enough to make an immediate impact on special teams.

Also, Bell says he's ready to go physically, no problems from the knee injury suffered against Georgia.

Bell also pointed out Ricardo Louis as a freshman who can help. "He's got talent. He can do it all. He just needs to be polished up"

In the annual Onterio McCalebb Weight Watch, he's at 177 heading into the fall.

McCalebb also hinted that he'll be used at both running back and receiver. "You'll see a lot of different stuff this year."

@wareagleextra

Daren Bates isn't bothered by negative preseason prognostications, saying some expected Auburn to win four games last year. Tigers won 8 instead.

Bates said Yox told team they had a better summer offseason effort than a year ago. He said players are carrying that momentum into camp.

Lots of enthusiasm for the defensive line. Nosa Eguae said Auburn hasn't had this kind of depth up front.

WR Travante Stallworth said he is excited for what Sammie Coates will bring to the offense this year after a good summer.

@AUBlog

Jeff Whitaker says Auburn's "team chemistry is way up there." Preseason camp opens Wednesday.

Whitaker says he's dropped 25-plus pounds, down to 306. "This is the best I've felt since I've been here."

@jzenor

I don't know about you guys but I'm receiving a great difference in vibe compared to last year's team heading into camp. Look's like the young guys we had last year are stepping up as leaders this year.

Exciting times are ahead.

Guess Pike didn't show?

Can we assume that he won't be back(ever)?

Phillip Marshall's take on it:

It's his choice from he standpoint of whether he has done what is required of him to do to return. Whether he has done those things satisfactorily is Chizik's call. It's not a matter of he can just decide to return anytime he wants. My opinion - and that's all it is - is that he won't be back anytime soon if at all. At the same time, I could be completely wrong and he could be back today. We'll see.

Some think he may not be back at all. Guess we don't know until confirmed.

Heard recently from a current AU player that Zeke is pretty much off the team for good. I don't know how true it is, but just passing along what I heard.

This is only my 2nd post here, but there will be plenty more. I browse this site constantly and have really just now gotten into the mood to add my 2 cents. I'm really excited about this season and the future of our program, hopefully I can contribute to some discussions and arguments along the way! War Eagle.

Great video here from OMac! About the 1:05 mark he talks about returning for his senior season and being an Auburn man. So very proud of that young man.

"...aint nobody gonna tell me I can't..." "I'm the fastest."

MIA: JaQuay Williams and Darrion Hutchison, both with academic problems. They could still get qualified by the time school starts but their clock is ticking.

Frazier's an exciting, talented prospect that could get it done but IMHO Zeke Pike would be a huge loss. If you watch the Spring game video (and I have a nerdish number of times) he had 3 or 4 bad WR drops that would have given him more yards than Frazier. For what that's worth.

I know, I know, we'll survive, nobody's bigger than Auburn, etc., but it's a blown opportunity for him and loss of a tremendous talent for us if he's gone.

IMHO.

How does everybody feel in regards to Pike vs Jeremy Johnson? I don't know too much about Johnson, but it seems as if he has been killing it lately from what I have read.

How does everybody feel in regards to Pike vs Jeremy Johnson? I don't know too much about Johnson, but it seems as if he has been killing it lately from what I have read.

Jeremy?? We'll see when he actually gets to campus.

Pike has alot of growing up to do before he can play collegiate football anywhere. Will he come back to Auburn? I don't know, but missing an entire year of football will definitely be a step back.

Wallace is apparently already showing leadership skills amongst the freshman. That's huge as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone know if we'll get to see a roster today? I'm interested in weights. I know they're usually not totally accurate, but it's nice to see where they are.

edit - Well, looks like the roster is out. Looks like all the enrolled freshman are on there with their #'s. I'm seeing Pike on there, so I wonder if he might still show up this fall. It's also got Hutcherson and Jaquay Williams, who were waiting on grade clearance. Not sure if that means they're definitely in or not, though. Interesting note - Jovon Robinson will wear #5, taking over for Dyer.

http://www.auburntig...roster-mtt.html

Jeremy?? We'll see when he actually gets to campus.

Pike has alot of growing up to do before he can play collegiate football anywhere. Will he come back to Auburn? I don't know, but missing an entire year of football will definitely be a step back.

Wallace is apparently already showing leadership skills amongst the freshman. That's huge as far as I'm concerned.

Yea, we haven't seen either play on the collegiate level (obviously haha) outside of spring for Pike, so I was wondering, since people seem to be high on Pike how critical it would be if he were to be dismissed from the team? Especially with Johnson coming in after this season. Not undervaluing Pike by saying that, but its clear he has some behavioral issues that need to be ironed out.

I haven't heard much about Wallace, other than he took the late offer from Auburn instead of going to Southern Miss so he could play in the SEC. I don't root for any certain QBs to succeed as I just want the BEST one to be playing. *memories of the Daniel Cobb/Jason Campbell situation*

From Emory Blake: http://recruiting.sc.../2/1207063.html

Auburn WR Emory Blake...

On the transition to Offensive Coordinator Scot Loeffler:

"It's a complete change. It's a completely different style of offense than what we've run in the past few years. It should make us a much better offense."

On personal changes on offense:

"[Our new offense] requires a lot more moving around for me. I'll be able to run a lot more; that'll be the biggest difference for me."

On a 2010 BCS Championship followed by five losses in 2011:

"Of course, two years ago was a lot more fun...but sometimes you have to go through things to make you better and make you stronger. I don't know if people remember, but [in 2009], we were also 8-5. Now, we know what to do in those big games. I expect bigger things from us this year.

"It doesn't matter what you've done the year before...anything can happen."

On the historic Alabama rivalry:

"You know, they're Alabama. They're going to get their credit; that's just how it is. Being at Auburn, I know we have the ability to do the same thing...

"Just because it's not given to you doesn't mean you can't go out there and take it."

Wow - I totally forgot about a Senior, #8 Anthony Morgan at RB. Think he will be a contributor this year? Special Teams maybe?

2011 -- SEC Academic Honor Roll ... Appeared in four games with one start ... Missed last nine games due to injury ... Started at running back against Utah State ... Saw action on special teams at Clemson ... Saw time on special teams against Florida Atlantic, recording one tackle.

2010 -- Playing defensive back, appeared in nine games and totaled eight tackles ... Against ULM, saw extended playing time and recorded career-high with six tackles, with five solo stops, and first career forced fumble ... Also played WR vs. ULM but did not have a catch ... Had a pair of tackles vs. UTC and returned one kickoff 52 yards ... Also rushed twice for 7 yards ... Saw snaps vs. South Carolina in SEC Championship Game.

2009 -- Appeared in 11 games as a running back and on special teams ... Saw game time, returning one punt, in season opener vs. Louisiana Tech ... Returned two punts for 24 yards with a long of 17 yards vs. West Virginia ... Fielded a pair of punts and returned one kickoff for 24 yards vs. Ball State ... Saw time vs. LSU ... Against Furman, led all rushers with 77 yards on five carries and scored a pair of TDs, the first from 13 yards out and the second from 50 yards out ... Saw limited time vs. Alabama and against Northwestern in Outback Bowl.

"[Our new offense] requires a lot more moving around for me. I'll be able to run a lot more; that'll be the biggest difference for me."

I hope he means that we now have a passing game set up to hit receivers in stride.

"Just because it's not given to you doesn't mean you can't go out there and take it."

Love it.

I hope he means that we now have a passing game set up to hit receivers in stride.

Love it.

I hope so, too, and I've got a new favorite quote. :)

Archived