Are games really won up front?

StatTiger

How important are tackles for loss? Consider the following...

* Since 1996, Auburn is 61-15 (.803), when they win the TFL battle. The Tigers are 17-5 (.773), when they allow as many TFL as they generate. Auburn is 58-45 (.563), when they lose the TFL battle.

* Since 1996, Auburn has finished a game with -5 TFL compared to their opponent, 30 times. The Tigers are 9-21 in those games with an average score of 13-24. During the 21 losses, the Tigers lost by an average score of 9-29.

* Since 1996, Auburn has finished a game with +5 TFL compared to their opponent, 27 times. Auburn is 23-4 in those games with an average score of 35-16. The average score in the 23 victories was 39-14.

* Since 1996, Auburn scored an average of 17.6 PPG in games where they allowed 10 TFL or more.

* Since 1996, Auburn scored an average of 34.6 PPG in games where they allowed 4 TFL or less.

* Since 1996, Auburn's defense allowed 17.6 PPG, when the Tigers registered at least 10 TFL.

* During Auburn's 5 losses in 2011, the defense recorded 19 TFL, while the offense allowed 39 TFL.

* During Auburn's victories from 1996-2011, Auburn recorded 953.5 TFL, while allowing 880 TFL.

* During Auburn's losses from 1996-2011, Auburn recorded 387.5 TFL, while allowing 533 TFL.

* During the 2011 season, Auburn had 158 offensive possessions. Of those 158 possessions, 82 included at least 1 TFL allowed (51.8 percent).

* During the 82 possessions, where Auburn allowed at least 1 TFL, the Tigers scored on 23.2 percent of their possessions, including a TD percentage of 14.6 percent. During their remaining 76 possessions without a TFL, Auburn's offense scored on 40.8 percent of their possessions, including a TD percentage of 32.9 percent.

* During the 2009 season, Auburn recorded 45 TFL, while allowing 55 to conference opponents.

* During the 2010 season, Auburn recorded 56 TFL, while allowing 44 to conference opponents.

* During the 2011 season, Auburn recorded 46 TFL, while allowing 70 to conference opponents.

No doubt games are won up front.

This is why I'm crossing my fingers that our D-Line is going to be as good as advertised. I'm sure the statistics translate well to other teams when you tackle them for loss during a possession. Now if we could just stop those third down and forever conversions from happening.

This is why I'm crossing my fingers that our D-Line is going to be as good as advertised.

I think when Gabe Wright gets back into Bowling Ball form, this DL Corps is going to finish the season top 3 in the SEC, and EASILY top 10 in the NCAAs. Far too much talent backing up talent...

During Auburn's 5 losses, the Tigers had 31 possessions, which involved at least 1 TFL. The Tigers scored on only 3 of those 31 possessions (9.7 percent) of which only 1 was a TD drive.

• 2 weeks later...

When I lived in Mobile, AL, Scott Hunter (the former UAT quaterback) was a sportscaster on the local TV station. He was talking one day about when he was playing for Green Bay and the NFL went on strike. He said he called his old coach (Bear Bryant) and asked him what he should do. Using his best Bear voice, he said Coach Bryant asked him one question.... Scott, where are your linemen? Scott said then the answer was very clear!! He knew which side he belonged on....whereever his linemen were!

This is why I'm crossing my fingers that our D-Line is going to be as good as advertised.

I think when Gabe Wright gets back into Bowling Ball form, this DL Corps is going to finish the season top 3 in the SEC, and EASILY top 10 in the NCAAs. Far too much talent backing up talent...

Top 3 in the SEC is going to be tall order. The SEC might have the 5 - 6 of the top 10 defensive lines in the country.

Considering that AU was 83rd (http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1042/p2) in total defense last year I would absolutely settle for a 50% improvement this year.

I mean top 40 isn't phenomenal by Auburn's own standards but it would be a step in the direction. I personally think anything outside the top 30 would be disappointing but considering how awful it's felt under Chizik in defense at times I'd take top 30 this year.

Always had love for a great line, whether offense or defense, but never saw it written. Thanks for the info.

Truth of the matter is that we are gonna be giving and recieving TFLs.

Is our D strong enough to make up for our O?

Archived