Tuberville won't rush into hiring new offensive coordinator

AUSportTalk

Tuberville said on the Southeastern Conference’s weekly teleconference that he will start going through potential replacements next week for Tony Franklin, who was fired in October. He said he had a stack of applicants “a mile high.”

“I’ve kind of worked those down to probably a dozen,” Tuberville said. “I’ll sit down and start working from those midweek next week. Most of the guys I have on the list are probably going to be in the postseason. A few are not. The ones that aren’t, I’ll sit down and visit with them.

“I’m not going to be in a real big hurry. I think the first week in January would probably be a target date to have somebody on board all the way. It could happen before that, but I don’t see it happen any earlier. I don’t want to mess with anyone else’s season.”

Tuberville said he would look for a coordinator who believes in a mixture of the spread offense and running the ball.

“I’m looking for somebody that knows something about the spread but also knows how to run the football,” Tuberville said. “You have to be able to do that in this league. I think it’s pretty much been proven if you look at everybody in this league. People that are going to be at the top of the league every year are going to have a good running game. Whether it comes from your quarterback in the spread, comes from a two-back system, you still have to have a plan.”

Tuberville said he remains committed to the spread being a major part of what the Tigers do on offense.

“After going through the spread this year, I think it’s a great offense,” Tuberville said. “We are still running probably 50 percent of it. I think that’s probably what we are going to continue to do. It’ll probably be a mix of 50-50 - two-back, spread, throwing the ball down the field, short passes, all those things.”

I agree completely. I really think that he will get the best guy for the job. I hope we can hang on to our recruits during the changes. It appears that they are still working really hard on recruits so hopefully things will turn out great. I am so excited to see some changes on the offensive side of the ball. I have been hoping for some new faces for a while. :ctt:

Archived