Auburn Creed

Ausubmariner

:believe:

THE AUBURN CREED

I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.

I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully.

I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men.

I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities.

I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all.

I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all.

I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it.

-George Petrie (1945)

Discipline:

I believe Adm Halsey was quoted as saying, " Discipline is not punishment, but the state of self motivation that allows men to achieve greatness." Forgive me if I have misquoted him, it has been about 25 years since I have seen that quote painted on the wall in basic training for the United States Navy in Gret Lakes, Il.

I would like to say that our Auburn Tigers are playing and living by the Auburn Creed and are disciplined. Our Tigers are believing in each other and are unassuming when it comes to victories. I cannot tell you the satisifaction that comes to me by watching the post game interviews.

I cannot immagine what my potential would have been had I chose to live like these me at a younger age! Win or lose, you guys are Family and I just wish that I could have been dedicated at such an age as you are. Not only Am I proud of you on the field, but I am more impressed with your character off the field. You have sweated, bled and achieved. But most of all, you have believed in not only what you could achieve as individuals, but as a team.

With the leadership of our coaches, you have lived the Auburn Creed. You are Auburn Men. And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it.

:wedance:

Archived