1989 IRON BOWL.....

AUGIRL23

Where were you during the 1989 Iron Bowl?? Were you even born yet?? Did you go to the game?? Tell us about your 1989 Iron Bowl experience.

I was six years old and can still remember my first Tiger Walk. Dad would lift me up so I could see the players walking by. To this day Tiger Walk is still my favorite gameday tradition. I remember the crowds shaking the Bama buses. I remember seeing the swarm of orange and blue on the Loveliest Village on the Plains....and nothing ever looked so beautiful.

Dad and my Uncle Dale went to the game and I remember meeting up with them at Toomer's Corner. What a crazy place that was!!!

I recently saw a picture of myself, Dad, my brother, cousin, and uncle that was taken outside of my grandparent's house. We had a big Beat Bama sign and it brought me back to one of the best times in my life.

Even though I was only six...I still remember knowing that I was experiencing something special on that day. 20 years later, as I get ready to head to Tiger Walk, that same feeling is creeping over me again. It's the Iron Bowl baby...and history is about to repeat itself. WDE!!!!!!!!!!

Great story augirl. 

What I remember most was the noise.  It was loud outside while tailgating.  It started climbing during Tiger Walk.  And as soon as Tiger Walk was over the stadium started filling up and the noise never subsided until long after the game was over.  It was the loudest game I have ever attended.  It was the greatest atmosphere ever!!!  Although I won't be there this time, I would love to see the same atmosphere in JHS today.  Y'all make some noise for me in Auburn, I'll do my part in Shelby County.  WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

My wife and I were at the game. No way was I going to miss since Bear and Ray Perkins said it would never happen. The loudest crowd noise ever and I mean all day long. Tiger Walk was unbelievable. As the game was coming to an end, for some unknown reason I started to have tears come to eyes. I could not make myself believe everything had just turned out perfect. The weather, sky, fans, stadium, game everything just perfect. Shug Jordan was a fraternity brother and with the last second ticking off I looked up to the sky and said Shug "this was for you". I'm tearing up now.

I was a sophomore and a fraternity pledge, so we had to go extra-early to reserve our 'block' of seats... front 5-8 rows on the 30 yard line... incredible.  I watched Jordan-Hare fill-up, cheered the AU players and chastised the Bammer players during warm-ups.  The cheerleaders threw-out sooooooo many shakers.  They were made of paper back then, and there was an orange n' blue haze of dust rising above the crowd.  It was AWESOME!!!  The electricity never faltered.  Toomer's Corner was amazing, and the celebration continued after we all regained consciousness the next morning.  What a memory.

WDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's go back 20 more years to my very first Iron Bowl, 1969 at Legion Field.

1857.jpg

Pat Sullivan and Scott Hunter filled the sky with passes that day.  Sullivan to Beasley prevailed.  Auburn 49 - UAT 26.  Connie Frederick fooled everybody with a late fake punt while standing on his own 3 yard line.  He literally followed the UAT defenders down the field.  They didn't even know he was running until he was 50 yards down the field.  It was great.

Let's go back 20 more years to my very first Iron Bowl, 1969 at Legion Field.

1857.jpg

Pat Sullivan and Scott Hunter filled the sky with passes that day.  Sullivan to Beasley prevailed.  Auburn 49 - UAT 26.  Connie Frederick fooled everybody with a late fake punt while standing on his own 3 yard line.  He literally followed the UAT defenders down the field.  They didn't even know he was running until he was 50 yards down the field.  It was great.

I was there as well in the north endzone and got to see from behind as Connie ran down the right sideline with the turds backs turn to him. They never knew what the h**l was going on. I still have the program for the game.

Archived