Jacobs will pull another Chizik

Right now as Auburn fans we have a wish list of coaches we want to be Head Basketball Coach. However, I feel like someone who is not on the list will emerge a couple of days before the announcement. I'm about 75% sure the coach will be African-American though. What do you guys think?

1997-1998 Kentucky 35-4 1st     NCAA Champions

1998-1999 Kentucky 28-9 3rd     NCAA Elite Eight

1999-2000 Kentucky 23-10        T-1st     NCAA 2nd Round

2000–2001 Kentucky 24-10        T-1st     NCAA Sweet Sixteen

2001–2002 Kentucky 22-10        T-2nd    NCAA Sweet Sixteen

2002–2003 Kentucky 32-4        1st     NCAA Elite Eight

2003–2004 Kentucky 27-5 2nd    NCAA 2nd Round

2004–2005 Kentucky 28-6 1st    NCAA Elite Eight

2005–2006 Kentucky 22-13 6th    NCAA 2nd Round

2006–2007 Kentucky 22-12  4th    NCAA 2nd Round

what tubby smith did at kentucky.. the first couple years with pitinos players

2000–2001 Kentucky 24-10         T-1st     NCAA Sweet Sixteen

I think Tubby would be a huge mistake JMHO.

Why do you think he would be a mistake. What he would have going for him at AU even more so than UK is a weak as water SEC west to play against twice a year. Also he has taken UM to back to back NCAA berths. I don't remember them ever being good in bball. Tubbs is not my first choice either, but he wouldn't be my last either. I will agree with you on one account he was horrible at the end of his tenure at UK. Well to their standards anyway.

2000–2001 Kentucky 24-10         T-1st     NCAA Sweet Sixteen

I think Tubby would be a huge mistake JMHO.

Are you serious? We're talking about TUBBY SMITH here. What AU fan in his/her right mind wouldn't want Smith?? He took Kentucky deep into the tournament most of the years he was there, and he is winning at freaking Minnesota! The guy flat out wins, and that's what we need. He's one of the best bball coaches in the country. IF the info. (big IF) about us being interested in Tubby is true, I would cry I'd be so happy. Not to mention Tubby would be working with a BRAND NEW $92 million arena. The arena + Tubby Smith = GREAT players! I don't see any way hiring a proven winner would be a mistake. We need a proven winner, not another "up and comer." Look what happened the last six years with an "up and comer." Now, that may not be fair to the other coaches out there b/c a guy like Barbee or Person may do a great job, but I just don't think JJ can take that risk again, especially with a new arena. He needs to hire a proven winner, and by investing $92M in an arena, I don't see how he would have any problem spending a few extra couple milliion to hire a sure fire, proven winner like Smith.

Are you serious? We're talking about TUBBY SMITH here. What AU fan in his/her right mind wouldn't want Smith?? He took Kentucky deep into the tournament most of the years he was there, and he is winning at freaking Minnesota! The guy flat out wins, and that's what we need. He's one of the best bball coaches in the country. IF the info. (big IF) about us being interested in Tubby is true, I would cry I'd be so happy. Not to mention Tubby would be working with a BRAND NEW $92 million arena. The arena + Tubby Smith = GREAT players! I don't see any way hiring a proven winner would be a mistake. We need a proven winner, not another "up and comer." Look what happened the last six years with an "up and comer." Now, that may not be fair to the other coaches out there b/c a guy like Barbee or Person may do a great job, but I just don't think JJ can take that risk again, especially with a new arena. He needs to hire a proven winner, and by investing $92M in an arena, I don't see how he would have any problem spending a few extra couple milliion to hire a sure fire, proven winner like Smith.

WOW!!! You want to talk about hitting the nail on the head! Well said!!

My feelings exactly!  I guess I am just leery of any "up and comers" after Lebo.  Another aspect of a coach who is an "up and comer" is that if he is really successful, we would lose him to a traditional BB school.  I don't know how true that would be, since it would depend on the man, but it is a worry.

I would definitely love to see a Tubby or Anderson come in and resurrect our BB program.

:wedance:

My feelings exactly!  I guess I am just leery of any "up and comers" after Lebo.  Another aspect of a coach who is an "up and comer" is that if he is really successful, we would lose him to a traditional BB school.  I don't know how true that would be, since it would depend on the man, but it is a worry.

I would definitely love to see a Tubby or Anderson come in and resurrect our BB program.

:wedance:

Excellent points you make.If I may add to it, using Tubby as an example,someone who has been at a traditional bb power, may be much happier not being at one any longer. After seeing the dark side of the power so to speak. UK bb boosters are quite a force to reckon with.

That is very true. While Auburn has haopefully proven that we want to win in bball. One of Tubby's so called bad years at UK (21-12) won't be looked down upon badly here.

According to some new light, JJ now puts Tubby Smith at the top of his list and will pay anything to get him.

Link, please, to the statement from JJ that Tubby Smith is at the "top of the list"? Since JJ has clearly stated that such information will NOT be made public, I'd like to see just where it was that he made a liar out of himself.

That was said by a sports talk guy out of Atl. JJ didn't say that at all.

Thanks, that's exactly what i thought. "Some sports guy" knows what JJ's list looks like? Riiiight...

Tubby has took 4 different teams to the NCAA tourney and has not had a losing record in 19 seasons I wouldnt mind seeing him sit on the bench in the new arena

Archived